PDA

View Full Version : An internet sales tax amendment was not added to the 2013 NDAA before it passed

AngelClark
12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
The Senate unanimously passed the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Tuesday by a vote of 98-0. The $650 billion military funding bill almost included an internet sales tax amendment. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL), Sen. Mike Enzi (R-WY), and Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), proposed a version of the Marketplace Fairness Act as an amendment to the NDAA. On Tuesday, online resellers across the globe heaved a collective sigh of relief, as the proposed Marketplace Fairness Act amendment was not added to the NDAA.

Continue reading: http://www.examiner.com/article/an-internet-sales-tax-amendment-was-not-added-to-the-2013-ndaa-before-it-passed?cid=db_articles

I called DICK Durbin's office and confirmed

RonPaulMall
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks. Drudge has a misleading story about that up right now, but hopefully it riles people up because this is probably the most important legislative issue in Congress right now. This bill would destroy any small business that relies on internet sales, and would ensure that the internet is the restricted to large corporations and the already rich.

sailingaway
12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
yeah. I posted this yesterday but people said it was out before the final bill.

Thanks for confirming it.

paulbot24
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
“People often say that what this country needs is for people in Washington to stop fighting and just get the job done. To achieve that, we need more ‘bipartisanship.’ I don’t agree…When the ideas of both parties are bad, there is really only one hope: that they will continue fighting and not pass any new legislation.” - Ron Paul

Funny how they can ALWAYS get Dem and Rep Senators working together for the worst ideas. I'm speaking of the little committees and proponents that attack our internet and threaten it with regulations and taxes. You'll always find both sides cheerfully working together on a bill to make it happen. They don't look at these things like pass or fail. To them, the internet tax didn't fail, it just hasn't been approved yet. They know if they just keep pushing them and attempting to sneak them by eventually it WILL pass and that goal is achieved. Why was this part of the 2013 NDAA bill? We know why. Everything is long-term agenda with them, with an occasional golden opportunity like 9/11 to capitalize on. They don't fail. They wait and vote, repeat until successful and then cross an entry off a very long list. That is why we cannot fall asleep.

kahless
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
yeah. I posted this yesterday but people said it was out before the final bill.

Thanks for confirming it.

I posted it before you. :p
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?397463-STOP-Dick-Durbin-Lamar-Alexanders-internet-tax

From the articles a few days ago it does not look like this is over though and that they are going to try to get it done before the end of the year as part as a larger bill or standalone/

Senators in favor of an online sales tax may try to move it forward in other ways
http://www.itworld.com/it-management/324827/senators-effort-add-internet-sales-tax-defense-bill-falls-short

Matt Collins
12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
From an e-mail -

December 6, 2012

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your email about creating new Internet taxes. I am opposed to taxing the Internet or creating a new national Internet sales tax. Several years ago the Senate debated Internet access taxes, and I was very involved in reaching the agreement that prohibited new taxes on Internet access. This moratorium is still in effect today.

I do support the Marketplace Fairness Act. Now, some people are saying this bill would tax the Internet – this is not true. The Marketplace Fairness Act does not create a new tax and it does not tax the Internet.

When you buy something online or from an out-of-state retailer, under Tennessee law you owe the same state sales tax that you would pay if you had purchased it at your local store. This is the plain old state sales tax that every Tennessean and people in 44 other states already owe when they shop online. But most online sellers don’t collect the state sales tax, and many purchasers don’t pay it, even though it’s owed under state law. There is even a 2 page tax form available on the Tennessee Department of Revenue website for you to fill out and pay the taxes you owe. Unfortunately, most consumers find filling out a separate tax form each year too burdensome and often don’t pay the taxes they owe.

Fundamentally I believe that this is a states rights issue, and Tennessee voters have chosen a state sales tax over a state income tax. States should have the right to decide for themselves whether to collect – or not to collect – the state sales taxes that are already owed on out-of-state purchases the same way they do on local purchases. I am a cosponsor of this legislation because I believe states and their legislators and voters should have the right to decide for themselves whether to close a tax loophole that subsidizes some taxpayers over other taxpayers and some businesses over others. Congress should not be picking winners and losers in the marketplace, and the ability to collect taxes that are already owed would give States the option to reduce existing taxes or pay for services without raising taxes.

You may be interested to know that a number of conservatives have spoken out on this issue and here is what they are saying:

• “There is no more glaring example of misguided government power than when taxes or regulations affect two similar businesses completely differently.” Al Cardenas, Chairman of the American Conservative Union

• “The only complete answer to this problem is a federal solution that treats all retailers and all states the same.” Governor Mitch Daniels

• “It seems to me there has to be a way to tax sales done online in the same way that sales are taxed in brick and mortar establishments. My guess is that there would be hundreds of millions of dollars that then could be used to reduce taxes to fulfill campaign promises.” Former Governor Jeb Bush

• “The mattress maker in Connecticut is willing to compete with the company in Massachusetts, but does not like it if out-of-state businesses are, in practical terms, subsidized; that's what the non-tax amounts to. Local concerns are complaining about traffic in mattresses and books and records and computer equipment which, ordered through the Internet, come in, so to speak, duty free.” William F. Buckley

I hope that I have helped shed some light about my views on this issue. I appreciate hearing from you and learning your views and will certainly keep them in mind as we continue to work on the Marketplace Fairness Act this year.

Sincerely,
Lamar