PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Sen. Paul Seeks Bipartisanship on Immigration Reform (STEM Jobs Act)

jct74
12-05-2012, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2i5cjawPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2i5cjawPw

Brett85
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm still afraid this is going to hurt Rand with the GOP base. Is he sure he knows what he's doing??

Brett85
12-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Although I don't have a problem with this particular bill he's talking about.

jj-
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm still afraid this is going to hurt Rand with the GOP base. Is he sure he knows what he's doing??

He probably made the calculation he needs hispanic votes to win a general election, and there is no point in winning a primary if you can't win the general. He will just focus on fiscal issues in the primary.

supermario21
12-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Rand's stance on the issue is thoughtful and smart with regards to border security. Look at how he is handling the issue compared to a Ryan or Rubio who practically ran to the left begging for reform. I think Rand has actually developed a position and we'll see it revealed over time as debate continues.

Agorism
12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
The STEM bill was a good bill.

I thought this was going to be another vomit on Rand thread, but not the case.

Actually this thread should be retitled to Rand supports STEM bill

Matt Collins
12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
He wants to secure the border before doing anything else.

Confederate
12-05-2012, 11:11 PM

This bill already passed the House.

Brett85
12-05-2012, 11:12 PM
This bill already passed the House.

Yeah, I commented before I watched the video. I thought it was referring to his plan for comprehensive immigration reform.

supermario21
12-05-2012, 11:15 PM
My impression, or at least 1 thing I have taken from what I know of the STEM act, is that by preferentially giving green cards to Phd's and Masters candidates, etc is that these people are likely to not need welfare programs like some other illegals might. I know Rand has been pretty strict about saying we should halt or severely limit legal immigration through any transition period and I just think that if we are helping out the highly educated first, they will be most likely able to find work that would not fuel a dependency on most of the welfare programs.

Agorism
12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
He wants to secure the border before doing anything else.

STEM bill is good.

Securing the boarders....they are already secure.