PDA

View Full Version : Indiana changes training requirements for new teachers

pcgame
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM

AFPVet
12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I agree with much of this... but I think you should have a B or above in the subject area that you are wishing to teach instead of the GPA average since some universities are different. For mine, our GPA scale was based on a 4.0 max instead of 4.3. As such, a 3.0 for other universities would actually be about a 2.8 for ours.

Keith and stuff
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
That is substantially lower requirements than most states. It should mean that downward teacher pay (or at least increases in pay) in IN if lots of these types of teachers get jobs. That might mean slower increases in property taxes in some parts of IN.

AFPVet
12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Well, it may actually drive down property taxes since the county will no longer have to pay a higher salary to a teacher with a master's degree. The way it's set up right now, they don't like to hire teachers with bachelor's degrees... or if they do, they 'encourage' them to pursue a graduate program ASAP.

This way, they can hire teachers with four-year degrees and get them into the classroom—preventing any shortages. They still have to take a subject test to get licensed at least, but I would feel more comfortable with requiring x amount of undergrad coursework in the subject area they wish to teach in addition to this.

KrokHead
12-05-2012, 07:06 PM
You'd think the pool of candidates would be deeper to choose from, congrats Indiana...

awake
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Good news! The teachers unions would be happy holding prospective teachers in 'training' indefinitely when it suited their wage goals (ransoms). Its really sad that people buy the licenses and degrees "process" as the way to get good teachers...so sad. I guess when you don't know any better...and were taught that this is the best method.

ClydeCoulter
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Now, maybe, we can get some teachers that actually care about the children.

amy31416
12-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Great news!

Insanely enough, I'm not qualified to teach in PA public schools--but I taught at a private college in PA--effectively. I'm magna cum laude in my field, and would not be able to teach kids how to do anything with their regulations.

Now I just have to move to Indiana.

dinosaur
12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
This is amazing news. Now people who want to teach in Indiana can get qualified in an actual subject instead of qualified in "teaching". The best teachers are the ones who can teach from real, hard won, knowledge intead of teaching by the text book.

ClydeCoulter
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Great news!

Insanely enough, I'm not qualified to teach in PA public schools--but I taught at a private college in PA--effectively. I'm magna cum laude in my field, and would not be able to teach kids how to do anything with their regulations.

Now I just have to move to Indiana.

Hey, and we have fairly good gun laws here too (if you can say any are good, perhaps I should say "less restrictive" gun laws than most) :)

donnay
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
This, to me, is just smoke and mirrors. Permits are privileges and privileges can be taken away, just-like-that. The public schools are doing exactly what they want them to do--dumb the kids down--period.

AFPVet
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
This, to me, is just smoke and mirrors. Permits are privileges and privileges can be taken away, just-like-that. The public schools are doing exactly what they want them to do--dumb the kids down--period.

Public indoctrination... cough I mean education is largely about institutionalization.

osan
12-06-2012, 10:36 AM
what does everyone think of this as compared/contrasted to other states? I think its a step in a good direction.

Lets take a look... For the record, one of my degrees is in education - I am a trained teacher... big whoop. Some of what is taught in "methods" classes is of genuine value, but a good "natural" teacher will use them without training. The problem I see lies with the not-so-good teachers, but that may be a minor point.

INDIANAPOLIS | Got a bachelor's degree? Get good grades in college? Congratulations, you're now eligible to teach in an Indiana middle or high school -- no special teacher training, student teaching or experience necessary.

Note, "eligible". Doesn't mean you will get the job. This can be a good thing or bad.

The State Board of Education voted 9-2 Wednesday to change Indiana's teacher licensing rules by creating a new "adjunct teacher permit," allowing any bachelor's degree holder with a 3.0 grade point average -- and who can pass a subject test -- to immediately teach that subject in an Indiana classroom.

This is not unreasonable.

The adjunct permit creates a different route to the classroom than the traditional "practitioner" license, which requires training in child development, child psychology and how to run a classroom -- along with student teaching and additional in-school internship requirements.

These aspects of teacher training are actually quite useful, especially managing a classroom. One semester of methods might not be a bad requirement. Knowing the basic dos and don'ts of classroom management is a good thing.

Teachers on an adjunct permit must be rated "effective" or "highly effective" in three of their first five years teaching to renew their permits. A last-minute change to the rules requires permit holders to take a teacher training course once they've started teaching.

What defines "effective"?

The rules also change the training requirements for school principals. A principal no longer must hold a master's degree.

I agree with this. I've known more than a few principals who were degree'd up the butt and were still dicks.

Instead, he or she must have a bachelor's degree, at least two years teaching experience and must successfully complete a training program in administration to be licensed.

This also seems reasonable.

Only one person, a Bennett ally, spoke in favor of the plan during more than two hours of public testimony in Indianapolis Wednesday morning. More than 20 university professors, Hoosier teachers and parents told the state board that students will suffer under the new rules.

I smell PC, UFT, NEA and perhaps a few other sources of poo at work there.

"Sending unprepared individuals into classrooms to learn to teach -- on the backs of often our most needy students -- is inappropriate," said Patricia Rogan, a dean of the School of Education at Indiana University.

Puts her position and that of her department in jeopardy. What else could we expect her to say?

Other speakers questioned why the rules were being rushed through in the final days of Bennett's term instead of allowing Democratic Superintendent-elect Glenda Ritz to participate in the process.

Because they know the Democrat twat will quash it in short order. DUH...

Michael Pettibone, a board member from Monroe, Ind., attempted to delay the new rules until a broader consensus was reached. His motion to table the rules did not get the required second from another board member.

This, I must say, is very surprising from a BoE. These are usually ultra-liberal/progressive and super-vested in big government, regulation, and so forth. I wonder what is up there. Perhaps reality has hit them hard enough to where they have had to relinquish this much of their stupidity?

Prior to the successful final vote, Gary board member Tony Walker reminded the panel that local school corporations ultimately make all hiring decisions and can refuse to hire teachers who hold adjunct permits.

Thereby rendering the vote of questionable effect, though the psychological aspect should not be discounted. This is a tiny inching away from the direction of ever bigger government and as such cannot be looked upon as a bad thing.

"It provides greater options and flexibility only for the school districts that want to participate in it," Walker said. "No one is forced to do anything."

Now this I like. This Tony Walker may have something on the ball.

osan
12-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Well yes, but even casual contact by young people to those with a clue can be beneficial. Kids these days are terribly ignorant, but they are not stupid. Many seek truth and suspect they are being fed loads of shit. Those are the ones for whom even brief "unofficial" contact may be of benefit. Even if the adult in question served no other purpose than as an example, this is what kids need and most CRAVE it. Kids want to be good - to be personally powerful and righteous - to have skill. They do not grow up with the ambitions of being powerless, dull, ignorant, and incapable. But they have no experience in telling good from the rest and that is where the good example comes in. This should never be dismissed or even discounted. When I was in school there were always those few teachers for whom the students held the greatest respect and affection. Why? Not because they were dicks. Those people had integrity and it showed and the kids respected that and I believe that they still do. But often times the kids have been so utterly brainwashed with the bullshit of collectivism and force that they are unable to untangle themselves from the gordian knots that their thoughts become and that is where cool and clued and righteous men and women come in. All a child needs is a good example upon whom to fix their eyes and it can change everything.

Years after I left teaching I found myself entering Grand Central Station after work on my way home. All of a sudden I hear, "V? Is that you" I turned to find one of my seniors from my first year teaching, Rafi (Rafael). "Oh Mr. V... I'm so glad to see you... I just wanted to thank you for everything you did for us and I want to apologize for all the trouble we gave you. You were the coolest teacher we ever had. You were to only one who cared about us and I want to say I'm sorry for everyone."

I almost floated away. I had to fight with those guys to get the smallest things done at times and thought I'd made no difference at all in any of their lives. I learned that day how wrong I was, and so I give that lesson to all of you: never think that you are not making a difference in the life of a young person simply by being there. The notice you, they observe everything you say and do, they know cool from uncool, and they want to be good people almost without exception. Learn this. Know this. Hold on to this. Do it for their sake, as well as for your own because it increases hope and optimism even if only by a small margin. At this point we can use every grain we can get.

erowe1
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Looks great to me.

TonySutton
12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Indiana is looking better every day :)

amy31416
12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey, and we have fairly good gun laws here too (if you can say any are good, perhaps I should say "less restrictive" gun laws than most) :)

I actually tried moving there, but found that the land was pricier than I'd hoped--for now, I'm about a half-hour away and still looking at the possibility. In the long run, it'd probably be cheaper because the property taxes are lower, but I just couldn't do it at the time.

oyarde
12-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Now, maybe, we can get some teachers that actually care about the children. That is the purpose, anyone want a great HS education for the youngster ? let me know , I can give you some schools to try ....

oyarde
12-07-2012, 02:14 AM
That is substantially lower requirements than most states. It should mean that downward teacher pay (or at least increases in pay) in IN if lots of these types of teachers get jobs. That might mean slower increases in property taxes in some parts of IN.

Property tax is capped, 1 % , for primary residence, just watch the assesment, you can challenge those....

psi2941
12-10-2012, 01:20 AM
This is spin of old news for some bias bullshit.

During my student teaching at a private school, my co-op teacher had an Indiana teaching license. He was a stock broker, when the 2007/2008 crash happened he lost his job. So he got an "emergency license" for teaching in indiana and started to teach that same year with no additional training. http://www.doe.in.gov/student-services/licensing/alternative-licensure

I guess the only thing about the new law is that it doesn't require additional course work after the teacher is hired.

pcgame
12-10-2012, 06:13 AM

psi2941
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I thought employees of private schools did not need licenses?
they don't but most decent private school wants it, its like a PR thing. To advertise, 100% of our staff is state certified.

let me give more details of the situation. So he after 2007 he worked for the Gary, IN public school district during that time he went to get additional education to get a full endorsement. after a couple years, he got a full teaching license and got hired at the private school in 2011 (the private school is in Illinois, so thus he doesn't even have a teaching license in Illinois, only in Indiana).

The Free Hornet
12-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Yep it can be taken away. But instead of saying you have to own a brand-X hot dog cart (despite its inferiority to most other brands on the market (http://orgtheory.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/gre-scores-for-different-disciplines/)), they are saying your hot dog cart just has to be free of roaches.

You shouldn't need a "teaching" degree to teach. It may help and it may be a competitive advantage, but as a requirement it is just a way to narrow the field.