PDA

View Full Version : Cops sieze 1.5 BILLION dollars of marijuana in Eastern Kentucky

MGee
12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Story here: http://themattwalshblog.com/2012/12/05/cops-save-poor-people-from-harmless-plant-billions-of-dollars/

Law enforcement agencies confiscated more than 1.5 BILLION dollars worth of marijuana in central Appalachia this year.

One and a half billion. And that’s actually down from the 2 billion they hauled in last year.

Does anyone think this makes sense? I mean, apart from some of the folks in government that need this Crusade on Plants to justify their paychecks, does anyone else think it makes sense? In a region of the country perpetually stricken by poverty, with an unemployment rate at about 15 percent, where the biggest drug abuse problem stems from legal prescription narcotics, we swoop in and decimate a cash crop that yields 2000 dollars a plant and could bring jobs, resources and a livelihood to a people in desperate need of it. Does that make sense to you? Now we, the tax payers, foot the bill for thousands of police to work thousands of manhours to put hundreds of people in jail for making a living growing a substance that has never killed anyone and is impossible to overdose on and which, if legalized, would instantly go from a drain on the economy to a financial windfall for everyone. Does that make sense to you? And every drug bust and federal sting operation does nothing to even put a dent in marijuana proliferation yet we stay the course all the same as if we have some sort of moral imperative to hopelessly attempt to stop people from using a weed far less dangerous than everything in your medicine cabinet. Does that make sense to you? In a part of the nation where we made harmless everyday Joes into criminals during prohibition we now turn around and do it again even though every sane individual fully and readily admits that it was a horrible mistake and a drastic governmental overreach back in the 1920’s. Does that make sense to you?

tod evans
12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Makes absolutely no sense to me.........

To the cops reading this..........Shame on you!

muzzled dogg
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Cops will be cops

Czolgosz
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
$2000 a plant. Nice. I need to go into business.

tod evans
12-05-2012, 11:17 AM

"Our-Government" is telling each and every citizen that they would rather these billions go to Mexicans/Colombians and whomever else is able to import the weed folks are willing to pay for..

Pretty smart with all the news spouting how broke we are...

TheTexan
12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
"Our-Government" is telling each and every citizen that they would rather these billions go to Mexicans/Colombians and whomever else is able to import the weed folks are willing to pay for..

Pretty smart with all the news spouting how broke we are...

Interesting point. Not that I'd advocate it, but I wonder how much it would help balance the budget if the government declared a monopoly on selling pot. Or alcohol. Or anything, really.

Of course it would just be theft in a different form... but I hadn't ever really considered that as an option... and I don't really want to give the government any ideas...

jbauer
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah you must be one of those pothead that just wants to get high and eat chips all day long....

But to be fair, surley the profit would come down dramatically from $2k/plant if legalized. If it was taxed like alcohol atleast 1/2 would go to the tax man. As of right now I'd be willing to guess quite a bit goes into the local economy to buy things the growers need to provide for their families. So there is some sort of economic impact on both sides of the argument.

Cowlesy
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Sell it. Pay down the debt.

acptulsa
12-05-2012, 11:54 AM
But to be fair, surley the profit would come down dramatically from $2k/plant if legalized.

It's considerably below that now. The government causes a lot of inflation, but nowhere is that inflation more rampant than in law enforcement's estimations of the street values of their seizures.

Despite their often-proclaimed delusions of adequacy, law enforcement doesn't even drive the price of weed up to what it would cost if it were legal and taxed...

tangent4ronpaul
12-05-2012, 12:52 PM
OH DANG! - did they discover the secret Aquabuda field?

:D

-t

tod evans
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Okay let's say they doubled the alleged value for the sake of propaganda.....That's still $750 million that I'd much rather see go to industrious Kentucky residents instead of some smuggler who takes his profits off shore..

It's not like the consumers are going to say; "Oh-well try again next year." they'll find some smoke somewhere..

It's considerably below that now. The government causes a lot of inflation, but nowhere is that inflation more rampant than in law enforcement's estimations of the street values of their seizures.

Despite their often-proclaimed delusions of adequacy, law enforcement doesn't even drive the price of weed up to what it would cost if it were legal and taxed...

presence
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
But to be fair, surely the profit would come down dramatically from $2k/plant if legalized.

There is nobody "profiting" $2000/plant the way things are.

1st you're talking about gram distributions of 5 ounces of crème de la crème for a plant to be worth $2k.
It ain't happening... not on a commercial scale indoors or any inconspicuous way outdoors

These MSM "retail drug values" of pot plants are always blown out of proportion propoganda and never account for the fact that there are expenses and realities in ANY business.

6 months of manual watering, fertilizing, planting, cloning, nursing seedlings, bugs and pests... not to mention security\
2 weeks drying, curing, manicuring, and wholesale distribution... I've heard northern cali often pays scissor people 5-10% yield alone
add more time for retail transactions in gram baggies to get "street value"... add fuel expenses, scale time, baggies
$$$/month/sqft illuminated indoor lighting expense... plus lease, or lease on land outdoors
material expense of soil, fertilizer, irrigation, fancy seed, and the black security budget later...

Not to mention, grower has to still take care of his own head for 6 months off that yeild.

Plant 1 seed, harvest $2000 tomorrow is bullshit.

Johnny Average Appleseed with a 100 plants is looking to, and realistically likely to smoke a joint or two every day and turn $2500 profit over $10/hr on the whole yeild; not some astronomical $200,000

Yet there are people making friggin’ Walmart Money in that region. I’m talkin’ Walmart CEO money, not Walmart mop pusher money.

photo from the source:

http://themattwalshblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/shawnshouse_0.jpg?w=521

dannno
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM

"A plant" is relative.

http://www.spikednation.com/sites/default/files/emvideo-youtube-Afnxl788Z1g_1.jpg

Czolgosz
12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Nice bush.