PDA

View Full Version : PPP - Herman Cain Tops Field in GA Senate Primary

tsai3904
12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Georgia Senate Republican Primary (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/12/chambliss-vulnerable-in-a-primary.html)
11/30 - 12/2
389 Republican primary voters
+/-5.0%

Herman Cain 36%
Saxby Chambliss 23%
Allen West 8%
Paul Broun 6%
Karen Handel 4%
Tom Price 4%
Erick Erickson 3%

If candidates were Saxby Chambliss and Herman Cain?

Cain 50%
Chambliss 36%

If candidates were Saxby Chambliss and Paul Broun?

Chambliss 57%
Broun 14%

Kotin
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
is cain actually consdering a run??? god I hope not.. that guy knows less about foreign policy than my younger sister.

FSP-Rebel
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Nice reward for being one of the 'conservative' stooges this last primary.

seyferjm
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
is cain actually consdering a run??? god I hope not.. that guy knows less about foreign policy than my younger sister.

Do not worry, his "people" had him reading about 1 page per day on FP issues during the primaries!

LibertyEagle
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TCE
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
At least he was honest about the fact that he didn't actually know anything. "I would leave it up to my advisers." If his advisers told him to jump off a bridge, he would run, not walk, to that bridge. I also need to hear more about "999"

tsai3904
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't worry, he's not running.

Cain said in an email provided to TheDC. “No, I’m not running!”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/28/herman-cain-not-interested-in-u-s-senate-seat/

compromise
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
As Cain, Erickson and West aren't running, Broun seems to be the front-runner.

Eric21ND
12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Do we have anybody remotely close to our agenda to run?

TCE
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Do we have anybody remotely close to our agenda to run?

Congressman Paul Broun. In the latest Freedom Rankings, he scored a 92%, which is incredible considering Justin Amash also scored a 92%.

Brett85
12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I think Broun's problem is simply that very few people actually know who he is.

TCE
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM

It's pretty much the people in his district and that's it. I'm wondering how his personal life, mainly the fact that he has been divorced so many times, would end up mattering.

Matthew5
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Why is Allen West being polled? Isn't he from Florida?

I can see Cain doing well there. Every time I visited Georgia during the primaries, there was fairly strong support.

sailingaway
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Congressman Paul Broun. In the latest Freedom Rankings, he scored a 92%, which is incredible considering Justin Amash also scored a 92%.

Yeah, but if Erickkson runs he'll take some of the people who would naturally gravitate to PB. Still, I'd LIKE PB. From what I know about him at this point, in any event.

tsai3904
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Why is Allen West being polled? Isn't he from Florida?

He grew up in Atlanta. The Georgia GOP Chairman suggested that Allen West should run for a House seat in Georgia after his loss.

Lucille
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2urp4qe.gif

supermario21
12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd love to have Broun, but if he honestly doesn't run, then I would take pizza man over Chambliss.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Paul Broun for Senate Draft Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Draft-Paul-Broun-for-US-Senate-2014/514323168586406?ref=stream

Like and share.

According to one veteran political operator, Broun will be running.

One Georgia-based GOP consultant told POLITICO he expects the fiercely conservative Broun to launch a Senate campaign as soon as January. A spokeswoman for Broun said he hasn’t decided.

“I feel very confident that Paul Broun’s running for U.S. Senate,” said Republican strategist Joel McElhannon, who is already feeling out recruits to run in Broun’s Athens-based 10th District. “You have senior staff quietly calling around for jobs, that’s why I think it’s legitimate.”

More on the strategist:

Most celebrated among his many victories, McElhannon guided Bill Heath to victory over Georgia's legendary Democrat House Speaker Tom Murphy, at the time the nation's longest serving House Speaker, and he masterminded Casey Cagle's stunning defeat of nationally recognized conservative leader Ralph Reed to become Georgia's first Republican Lt. Governor.
http://www.southllc.com/bio.php

Aratus
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
at the now legendary Perry, Georgia fish fry GOP straw poll in the fall of 2011
Herman Cain edged Ron Paul out by 3 votes. Rev9 wanted to go but couldn't.

jkob
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Shows that Chambliss is vulnerable.

TheTexan
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2urp4qe.gif

I do so hope he runs.. and wins.

Smart3
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
If Herman Cain could easily beat Chambliss, I'd be happy he ran, since I already believe the seat will end up Dem.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
If Herman Cain could easily beat Chambliss, I'd be happy he ran, since I already believe the seat will end up Dem.Not in 2014, and especially not in GA.

AJ Antimony
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Bingo!

Smart3
12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Not in 2014, and especially not in GA.
Indiana seems to prove you wrong. Georgia will be a swing state by 2016 or 2018. If the Dems can get Cleland or Barnes, it will be a very close race.

KingNothing
12-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I'd love to have Broun, but if he honestly doesn't run, then I would take pizza man over Chambliss.

I think that having a guy like Cain -meaning, a blithering idiot- in a position of prominence within the party, decreases it's chances in every presidential election. He'll just be one more moron giving the liberal media one soundbite after another that they can use to push their desired narratives.

compromise
12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I'd be happy he ran, since I already believe the seat will end up Dem.

Are you a Dem?

compromise
12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Cain, if he runs (which I doubt), would still be a better candidate than Chambliss.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Indiana seems to prove you wrong. Georgia will be a swing state by 2016 or 2018. If the Dems can get Cleland or Barnes, it will be a very close race.

No, it doesn't. A rape comment caused Indiana to go Democrat. Keep in mind Donnelly had some conservative leanings as well, such as abortion.

2014 will be an upswing year for Republicans. Any Democrat will be very unpopular, and Republicans are more likely to turn out.

SpreadOfLiberty
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Cain, if he runs (which I doubt), would still be a better candidate than Chambliss.True.

I think he is ignorant in a lot of ways but I do think he has his heart in the right place.

He is back to supporting a gold standard. It seems he didn't want to make it an issue in his campaign so he abandoned it.

Smart3
12-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Are you a Dem?
I've long said that the Democrats being in power is great for us. The Republicans will need to reach out to us just to win in red states.

More importantly: the Dems lined up right now, are more fiscally conservative than any Republican mentioned so far, except Broun. So if Cain defeats Chambliss, and someone like Barnes/Cleland/Barrow takes over, we'd have a fiscally conservative Senator from GA. It would also help us transform the Dems, in my view.

No, it doesn't. A rape comment caused Indiana to go Democrat. Keep in mind Donnelly had some conservative leanings as well, such as abortion.

2014 will be an upswing year for Republicans. Any Democrat will be very unpopular, and Republicans are more likely to turn out.
I disagree entirely. Donnelly was clearly tied with Mourdock prior to the rape comment, and a few polls even showed him ahead. I think a lot of Mourdock voters voted for Horning after the rape comment.

Now with respect to 2014: the race right now is a wash, with extremely powerful D incumbents (Hagan, Shaheen, Baucus, etc), and a few good R recruits: Capito and Rounds. My current prediction is no change (2 R pickups/SD-AR, 2 D pickups/ME-KY) or D+1. Possibly swap AR with AK or NC, just depends who the Republicans get in the three races.

John F Kennedy III
12-06-2012, 03:35 AM
at the now legendary Perry, Georgia fish fry GOP straw poll in the fall of 2011
Herman Cain edged Ron Paul out by 3 votes. Rev9 wanted to go but couldn't.

Where is Rev9?

Matthew5
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Where is Rev9?

permabanned, I presume.

supermario21
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I've long said that the Democrats being in power is great for us. The Republicans will need to reach out to us just to win in red states.

More importantly: the Dems lined up right now, are more fiscally conservative than any Republican mentioned so far, except Broun. So if Cain defeats Chambliss, and someone like Barnes/Cleland/Barrow takes over, we'd have a fiscally conservative Senator from GA. It would also help us transform the Dems, in my view.

I disagree entirely. Donnelly was clearly tied with Mourdock prior to the rape comment, and a few polls even showed him ahead. I think a lot of Mourdock voters voted for Horning after the rape comment.

Now with respect to 2014: the race right now is a wash, with extremely powerful D incumbents (Hagan, Shaheen, Baucus, etc), and a few good R recruits: Capito and Rounds. My current prediction is no change (2 R pickups/SD-AR, 2 D pickups/ME-KY) or D+1. Possibly swap AR with AK or NC, just depends who the Republicans get in the three races.

You really think Mitch McConnell and Susan Collins are going to be defeated? The only way Dems pickup in Maine is if Collins retires. None of the Dems in Georgia have been said to run. PPP just ran them because they are the 3 most popular Dems in the state. That article said that usually Dems in Georgia are scared off of running for Senate now because they pretty much know they'll be defeated. Also, is Hagan a powerful incumbent? Keep in mind Republicans have been dominant in the state whenever Obama is not on the ballot. The Dems fickle turnout machine that doesn't care about off-year elections usually bites them in the ass. Virginia could also be a pickup, as Warner has refused to comment whether he runs. Again, Virginia is a Republican state when Obama is not on the ballot. Landrieu in LA should also be targeted. The tax debate is going to be potentially fatal for these moderate Democrats, many of whom are actually opposed to Obama's hardline position on increases.

Smart3
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
You really think Mitch McConnell and Susan Collins are going to be defeated? The only way Dems pickup in Maine is if Collins retires. None of the Dems in Georgia have been said to run. PPP just ran them because they are the 3 most popular Dems in the state. That article said that usually Dems in Georgia are scared off of running for Senate now because they pretty much know they'll be defeated. Also, is Hagan a powerful incumbent? Keep in mind Republicans have been dominant in the state whenever Obama is not on the ballot. The Dems fickle turnout machine that doesn't care about off-year elections usually bites them in the ass. Virginia could also be a pickup, as Warner has refused to comment whether he runs. Again, Virginia is a Republican state when Obama is not on the ballot. Landrieu in LA should also be targeted. The tax debate is going to be potentially fatal for these moderate Democrats, many of whom are actually opposed to Obama's hardline position on increases.
I'm predicting Collins retires, for much the same reasons as Snowe. She could also be dethroned by a conservative like Murkowski was. If she is a Republican in November she wins easily, and Dems would probably focus on defense and Kentucky.

Mitch McConnell is basically toast. He'll face a minor primary challenge and then get shanked in the general. Kentucky is still a Dem majority state.

Hagan is already campaigning and has TV ads defending her record. She's got more than enough money from the tobacco industry to be re-elected fairly easily. I can't imagine her losing without a strong TP/RPR candidate like Dr. Greg Brannon. If she's to the right of the R nominee, then naturally she'll win.

Virginia is a Dem state now, officially. It will elect Republicans for Governor, but probably not for Senate again, like California.

Landrieu benefits from having around 48-52% of the vote in a primary. Since no Dem is likely to enter the race, it will be 4 or 5 R's vs Landrieu, and she can probably prevent a runoff if the Republicans attack each other. Landrieu won by 5 when Obama lost by 18. Remember that.

Also, I wonder what you mean by "should also be targeted" -- we only have one state legislator there who is a Liberty Republican, are you saying any ol "I'm fiscally conservative" Republican should be ran? Hell no. Jindal does not need a pet Senator.

"hardline" - I wouldn't call a proposal that Ron Paul himself has voted for in the past, to be hardline. Raising taxes on 2% of Americans is better than raising it on 100%. That's Paul's logic and I agree with it.