PDA

View Full Version : The Evils of Welfare Highlighted in LDS Scriptures

PierzStyx
12-04-2012, 05:32 AM
I think Doctrine & Covenents 56:16-17 ( the Doctrine and Covenants, or D&C, Mormons believe is a book of scripture consisting of revelations to the modern prophets) lays out a perfect basis from which to judge government welfare programs that rely on force against others in order to work.

"16. Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls; and this shall be your lamentation in the day of visitation, and of judgment, and of indignation: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!

17. Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are not stayed from laying hold upon other men’s goods, whose eyes are full of greediness, and who will not labor with your own hands!"

Emphasis indicated is mine.

Verse 16 emphasises the rich who will not GIVE their substance to the poor as being under condemnation. This is understandable given the Lord's emphasis on charity. The Prophet Mormon even went so far as to say "without charity ye are nothing" (Moroni 7:41, Book of Mormon) But when the government uses the threat of violence, the seizing fo property, and your imprisonment in order to force you to obey them and then takes your money without even asking, that is NOT charity. Charity is a free will offering, which you get to determine the amount of when you give it. Seized money is not charity, it is theft. If you want to give to charity using the govenrment as your channel, feel free. But do not force me to do the same.

Verse 17 even shows us that being poor is no justification for "laying hold upon other men's goods." Theft, the taking of property without express unforced permission of the owner, is wrong no matter what. This means modern government welfare programs are wrong as they do just this, laying hands on one man's goods in order to give to another, because they are "poorer" than the person who had their property taken. No wonder Prophet Heber J. Grant called "the government dole" evil.

As for greediness, I think our current tax situation is an example of the greed that is inspired in men's hearts when they have the power to seize another's income. A small example: In 1913 when the income tax was legalized through the 16th Amendment, Progressives promised "only the top 1% will have their income taxed." Very shortly, within a year, that promise was violated. And today EVRYONE'S income is "taxed" (stolen from) by the govenrment. Why? Because men are greedy and cannot be satisified with the money they have. Giving the power to government to seize as much money as it wants directly from our pocketbook lead exactly to what conservatives feared, the greed of government has fell upon every man and woman with any income. Eyes are often symbolic of the soul. Government's "eyes (or soul) is full of greediness" and we suffer because of it.

Forced government welfare is evil. It is enforced both by men who invoke the poor's name to justify fulfilling their lust for money and the poor who wish to take someone elses property for themselves.