PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a Libertarian?

ItsGotaHemi
12-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Hello,

I am an economics major at Michigan Tech and I am currently working on a paper about libertarianism. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me and being quoted in my paper.

How did you become a libertarian?

Were there any books or people in particular that were instrumental in your transformation?

What was it about the libertarian philosophy that attracted you libertarianism?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Czolgosz
12-03-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't care for labels, but I do exhibit Libertarian philosophy.

For me, it started with the treatment of Pat Buchanan by Republicans during his presidential run. This sparked a quest for enlightenment.

BuddyRey
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Saw Ron Paul in the first Republican debate of 2007, joined here, began to study, debate, and have my leftist ideas challenged. It was only a matter of time until the moral and logical clarity of the libertarian argument won me over.

Two particular books that were pivotal to my transformation were "For a New Liberty" by Murray Rothbard, and "No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority" by Lysander Spooner.

And the thing that I found most compelling about libertarianism was its consistency. Its positions on everything directly emanate from the principle that individuals own their own lives and have the right to live those lives however they wish as long as they do no harm to others. You don't have to study up on talking points or be a policy wonk to glean the libertarian perspective on any issue; you just have to ask yourself, what's the solution that employs the least theft, fraud, and coercion?

brooks009
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Ron Paul

Sola_Fide
12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I used to label myself with all kinds of terms, but politics and political philosophy itself is really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I am Christian, and whatever position I take politically is because of some prior Biblical reason.

The Bible alone (and what may by good and necessary consequence be deduced from the Bible) is sufficient to equip me for the knowledge I need for politics...and life in general.

July
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
First exposure was Harry Browne in 2000. I recall a Libertarian Party debate was televised on c-span (I think) and I happened to catch it. I immediately went online and started researching it, because it struck a chord. Ralph Nader was also running third party that year, and I also spent time learning about the Green Party.

By 2001, I was still interested in libertarians but I decided 3rd parties had no chance. Then 9/11 happened, I became disillusioned and more pro war, and I started listening to pundits like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh.

By 2007, I was still a Republican, but very disillusioned by Bush and the mess in the Middle East, and I started to rethink a lot of things. When I first saw Ron Paul, I knew he was someone I identified with right away, and he reawakened my earlier interests in libertarianism....

Then in 2009/2010 I got interested in the Tea Party scene. Rand Paul came onto my radar, which in turn put Ron back on my map as well. About a year ago I started reading a lot more, history, economics and conservative and libertarian authors, and just began to more deeply learn about and understand the philosophy...which is where I'm still at today....

CaptUSA
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I learned about the wisdom of the Enlightenment and agreed.

I didn't really translate it into politics until I read a book by Charles Murray in the 90's. To be honest, though, I searched out the book because I was already interested in libertarian thought.

July
12-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I used to label myself with all kinds terms, but politics and political philosophy itself is really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I am Christian, and whatever position I take politically is because of some prior Biblical reason.

The Bible alone (and what may by good and necessary consequence be deduced from the Bible) is sufficient to equip me for the knowledge I need for politics...and life in general.

My interest in libertariansim/economics coincided with interests in spirituality too. There's a strong connection to how I came to understand the idea of a spontaneous order in the market, with what my spiritual views are.

emazur
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello,

I am an economics major at Michigan Tech and I am currently working on a paper about libertarianism. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me and being quoted in my paper.

Were there any books or people in particular that were instrumental in your transformation?

I hated school, including college, but to its credit - that's where I first learned about libertarianism, pretty much by chance. I was taking micro econ as a social sciences elective and was told I had the highest score on the final of everyone (and there were several hundred) who took it that semester and was encouraged to take more classes in econ. Even though I wasn't particularly interested, I did it anyway b/c I was already majoring in a different social science and everything I took counted towards that degree (I came probably within a semester or two of having econ as a second major). One semester I pretty much just picked a random econ class (of rotating topics depending on the teacher) and signed up for it within even knowing the topic. Turns out the professor was a libertarian and the assigned text, which he wrote, introduced many libertarian ideas to me:
http://www.amazon.com/Public-Policy-Quality-Life-Contributions/dp/0313293589
It was probably the first assigned textbook where not only did I read it completely, I was interested enough to read ahead of schedule. He didn't jam libertarianism down our throats (and rarely even used the word libertarian) - he would assign us topics to write a paper on (such as "school choice") w/o giving us any indication of what he was looking for. Just do our own research and write a paper on the topic. While doing research on the web for school choice, that's actually where I first read the term "libertarian" and learned about the Libertarian Party who are the strongest advocates out there for alternative education and who actually talk about the failings of government schools. Since I already hated my public school experience, there was an instant attraction. Before that, I had considered myself apolitical and just saw politicians as a bunch of bullshitters in suits. I already knew before taking the class that I wasn't to vote for Bush or Gore (2000 - my first election). But finding out about the Libertarian Party steered me towards voting Harry Browne and researching Harry Browne led me to learn about more libertarian topics (so anyone who says the Libertarian Party is a waste of time is wrong, Wrong, WRONG. I never would have gone done the avenue of libertarianism if there was no avenue to travel on). But I was always a libertarian, I just didn't know it and even during high school I felt you should just leave people alone and even enjoying things I strongly disagreed with (like drugs) I felt people should take responsibility for their own actions. At that time, I hadn't found any good libertarian websites but the Advocates for Self Government (http://www.theadvocates.org/) I found put out an informative newsletter and would often mention Ron Paul, and that's where I first learned about him - well before his 2008 campaign. I still recommend people sign up for the newsletter (http://www.theadvocates.org/newsletter)

Anti Federalist
12-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm not a "libertarian" necessarily, although, like anarchy, I am very sympathetic to the idea and endorse much of the philosophy of both.

I'm what the media would call an "anti government extremist".

I became one after watching the government kill 83 otherwise peaceful men, women and children in Waco, Texas, watched them gun those people down with automatic weapons fire as they tried to flee a burning building that government forces had set on fire, watched government lie and cover up what they did.

I became one, in short, after seeing the opening salvo in what has become the "War on Us".

Accounts of the victims and collateral damage of that ongoing and escalating war are posted here on a regular basis.

Dr.3D
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I formulated my political views from my dad, way back in the '50s. He used to keep telling me there was too much government. He couldn't figure out why people couldn't just be left alone as long as they were not hurting anybody else. Later, he kept saying he wished Goldwater would win. Back then I didn't know who Goldwater was, but figured he must be somebody who didn't like big government either.

I listened to him and thought, perhaps he was right, why can't people do what they want to do as long as they are not causing anybody else damage?

Edit: I also remember him saying many times, "I'm tired of being protected from myself."

thoughtomator
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I started with the Old Testament and ended up at Hobbes

EBounding
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't really consider myself a libertarian since I've always considered myself to be a conservative, but my views started to change a few years ago with immigration. It dawned on me that the typical "conservative" position in dealing with immigration didn't make any sense, especially when you look at it economically (trading labor).

Last year though was the big turnaround. Ron was the only one serious in the debt ceiling debate, so I threw my support to him even though I didn't agree with his foreign policy. I figured we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves anyway if we're bankrupt. But then I actually listened to him and it suddenly made sense why I was uncomfortable defending the wars all these years; it was because they're indefensible.

Jingles
12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
When I think about it... I probably always have been, but never really knew it until about 2008. I was just shy of 18 by the election and couldn't vote. This was a time where from about 16 to 18 all i did watch hours of Fox news. Whole family of Democrats. Though as little as I knew I did understand the market in some respects as I had reason to know that taxes were taken to fund useless ineffective programs and the like. Just didn't go down the rabbit hole all the way yet. But the thing that bothered me about the "Republican" viewpoint that i was presented was the religious stuff (I've always been an atheist), and the social issues never made sense to me. The issue I had is that I bought the NeoCon foreign policy hook, line and sinker.

Then I had some friends that were talking about Ron Paul. Saw an interview of him post election on Fox, decided I'd read the Revolution: A Manifesto. Then everything just sort of clicked. After reading that book I eliminated pretty much all my inconsistencies and was a libertarian. Then I would read Rothbard, and the rest and here I am now an AnCap. I've honestly never read anything by Ayn Rand. I kind of went from Ron Paul straight to Rothbard. Walter Block, Lew Rockwell, and Tom Woods also played a great role in me learning about liberty.

What attracted me? I don't know it just made sense. Not as in "hey this might be a good idea", but logical and moral sense.

ican'tvote
12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
My Dad used to have political discussions with me when I was little, and that planted the seed. Then, when I was 14, I came across some youtube videos of Ron Paul from the 08' debates. I thought "wow, that guy sounds just like Dad!".

I was politically dormant for two years, until one day I found out that Ron Paul was running again in 2012. I even volunteered for his campaign (I'd never done anything like that before). Dad said he was proud of me for that. In a lot of ways, he passed it down to me.

TroySmith
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

VIDEODROME
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Michigan Tech? Is the snow flying up there already? :p

For myself, it started with Ron Paul in the 2008 Primary as soon as I heard him suggest dropping the IRS. I freakin despise the IRS. Beyond taxation I see them as an invasion of financial privacy.

In 2008, I also wound up changing jobs and became a truck driver, so I starting listening to tons of Talk Radio. Back then FOX News Talk on XM Radio still had the show Brian and The Judge, so most weekday mornings I got my fix of Judge Andrew Napolitano's legal analysis while debating Brian Kilmeade. When the Judge moved on to his TV show with Freedom Watch I continued to listen by subscribing to the Podcast.

I also read Constitutional Chaos by him. Overall, the key ideas I take from the Judge is the Enumerated Powers to the Federal government they should be limited to, due process, the right to a trial, and especially Congress' War Declaration power and responsibility.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JTTM0ZH5L.jpg

Note: While already Libertarian I read The Law by Bastiat this last Summer which I would also recommend. It really focuses understanding the role of Law and use of Force. The Law should be for common security, not so one group can use "Legal Plunder" against another group.

http://tellerbooks.com/covers/classics/8.La%20Loi_Eng%20%28Bastiat%29_thumb-zoom.jpg

CaptUSA
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd like to amend my original answer. I believe we are all born libertarian. Then fear sets in. Somehow humans find comfort in the collective.

The question for everyone else is really, "why did you stop being a libertarian?"

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/80/95/809596d55358cff17405608afa3ca6b6.jpg

KMX
12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I was Libertarian for about 10 mins and then I realized Ron Paul had been threw the same thing for 30 years. You will never have a voice. The system is rigged for the 2 parties.

kcchiefs6465
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
One day everything clicked. While listening to Noam Chomsky speak about American foreign policy I discovered Ron Paul. His consistent views represented a moral philosphy that neither party could begin to adhere to. Around that time I found out about "Freedom Watch" with Judge Andrew Napolitano. I realized no news agency was free from propagandist spin. The Judge covered stories no one else would cover and touched upon the underlying factors. He actually discussed the relevance of a two party system- instead of the usual "there is a two party system." He covered the Consitutionality of assassinating American citizens abroad without trial- instead of the usual "enemy combatant killed in air strike." It was also painfully obvious the Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all clearly ignored Ron Paul. To see both the democrats and republicans' talking heads ignore and misrepresent Ron Paul on an hourly basis made me stop and question this false paradigm they promote. Do a little more research. Then ask yourself:

Why are sick people who use medical marijuana put in prison?
Why does the federal government restrict the drinking of raw milk?
Why can’t Americans manufacture rope and other products from hemp?
Why are Americans not allowed to use gold and silver as legal tender as mandated by the Constitution?
Why is Germany concerned enough to consider repatriating their gold held by the FED for her in New York? Is it that the trust in the U.S. and dollar supremacy beginning to wane?
Why do our political leaders believe it’s unnecessary to thoroughly audit our own gold?
Why can’t Americans decide which type of light bulbs they can buy?
Why is the TSA permitted to abuse the rights of any American traveling by air?
Why should there be mandatory sentences—even up to life for crimes without victims—as our drug laws require?
Why have we allowed the federal government to regulate commodes in our homes?
Why is it political suicide for anyone to criticize AIPAC ?
Why haven’t we given up on the drug war since it’s an obvious failure and violates the people’s rights? Has nobody noticed that the authorities can’t even keep drugs out of the prisons? How can making our entire society a prison solve the problem?
Why do we sacrifice so much getting needlessly involved in border disputes and civil strife around the world and ignore the root cause of the most deadly border in the world -the one between Mexico and the US?
Why does Congress willingly give up its prerogatives to the Executive Branch?
Why does changing the party in power never change policy? Could it be that the views of both parties are essentially the same?
Why did the big banks, the large corporations, and foreign banks and foreign central banks get bailed out in 2008 and the middle class lost their jobs and their homes?
Why do so many in the government and the federal officials believe that creating money out of thin air creates wealth?
Why do so many accept the deeply flawed principle that government bureaucrats and politicians can protect us from ourselves without totally destroying the principle of liberty?
Why can’t people understand that war always destroys wealth and liberty?
Why is there so little concern for the Executive Order that gives the President authority to establish a “kill list,” including American citizens, of those targeted for assassination?
Why is patriotism thought to be blind loyalty to the government and the politicians who run it, rather than loyalty to the principles of liberty and support for the people? Real patriotism is a willingness to challenge the government when it’s wrong.
Why is it is claimed that if people won’t or can’t take care of their own needs, that people in government can do it for them?
Why did we ever give the government a safe haven for initiating violence against the people?
Why do some members defend free markets, but not civil liberties?
Why do some members defend civil liberties but not free markets? Aren’t they the same?
Why don’t more defend both economic liberty and personal liberty?
Why are there not more individuals who seek to intellectually influence others to bring about positive changes than those who seek power to force others to obey their commands?
Why does the use of religion to support a social gospel and preemptive wars, both of which requires authoritarians to use violence, or the threat of violence, go unchallenged? Aggression and forced redistribution of wealth has nothing to do with the teachings of the world’s great religions.
Why do we allow the government and the Federal Reserve to disseminate false information dealing with both economic and foreign policy?
Why is democracy held in such high esteem when it’s the enemy of the minority and makes all rights relative to the dictates of the majority?
Why should anyone be surprised that Congress has no credibility, since there’s such a disconnect between what politicians say and what they do?

Is there any explanation for all the deception, the unhappiness, the fear of the future, the loss of confidence in our leaders, the distrust, the anger and frustration? Yes there is, and there’s a way to reverse these attitudes. The negative perceptions are logical and a consequence of bad policies bringing about our problems. Identification of the problems and recognizing the cause allow the proper changes to come easy. (Ron Paul Farewell Speech, 2012)

jbauer
12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I was born. I learned early to take care of myself. I think this is one of the centeral ideas of Libertarianism. Past that I'd say my parents taught me to take responsibility for my action. As for politics Ron Paul made it ok again to talk about having a fiscaly responsible limited government. Something that hasn't been talked about in decades. As for the social issues take 'em or leave 'em. As long as it doesn't cost me I could care less what you do or how you do it. (with the exception of abortion because I feel a unborn human has the same rights and liberties of a born human)

staerker
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Politically blind until I saw this, and spent every available minute for a few months watching Ron's speeches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtDJ6Ay4QMw

Occam's Banana
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
C-SPAN did it for me. Or, at least, C-SPAN was the vehicle that delivered the libertarian payload ...

The very first time I ever heard the word "libertarian" was in 1980 when Ed Clark ran for POTUS as the Libertarian Party candidate. I saw one of the TV ads aired by the campaign. I had absolutely no idea what a "libertarian" was or what the word meant. My reaction was surprised delight and bafflement. I had never, ever heard of anything except Democrats & Republicans, and the idea of there being something else was really "neat." I gave the matter no thought or attention beyond this, though. I was only 12 years old at the time, so my awareness of politics was not exactly what you could call "sophisticated." I was much more interested in the really important things in life - like riding my bike around town & hanging out with my friends.

While the government-school education I received was by no means terrible, I had no idea what it meant to say that one was a Republican or a Democrat, and I could not have told you the difference between a "conservative" and a "liberal" if my life had depended on it. When we got cable TV at home, I became an avid watcher of things like CNN's World Report & Crossfire. Crossfire provided the invaluable service of teaching me that I was NOT a Republican, Democrat, liberal, OR conservative - I seemed to agree & disagree with them all in more or less equal measure. I therefore came to the conclusion that I must be a "moderate independent" (how wishy-washy is that, hey?). I was in high school at the time, and I was a huge science fiction fan. So it will come as no suprise that the "big issues" for me were federal college financial aid and the space program (NASA). I was very much in favor of both, of course. Also, I thought Social Security seemed kinda dumb. Other than that, I had no particular political opinions - certainly not in terms of fundamental political philosophy. My political views were still not what you could call "sophisticated."

That all changed when I saw the Libertarian National Convention on C-SPAN in 1983. I stumbled across it while channel-surfing. Recalling my thrill at those Ed Clark "Libertarian" ads (which I had not thought of at all since seeing them), I realized that "Hey! This must be the same thing! How about that?" So I watched. out of nothing more than curiosity. I became interested enough that I even sent off for more information using the contact information provided by C-SPAN. The promotional & introductory material sent to me by the Libertarian Party eventually led me to Ayn Rand, Murray Rothbard, and all the other usual suspects. And that, as they say, was "all she wrote" ...

This is not to suggest, however, that my metamorphosis into libertarianism (and eventually, anarcho-capitalism) was an "overnight" thing, however. It was a relatively slow & gradual process that progressed as I learned more & more over the ensuing years. Remember, there was no World Wide Web back then - so my progress was limited by things like "snail mail" and having to save enough money to order books and such. But the process was essentially complete by 1988, when I was old enough to vote in my first election (I voted for Ron Paul, of course).

Tpoints
12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I hated both taxes and drugs laws. But I never have, nor do I think I ever will, want to get rid of immigration laws, border laws or death penalty.

mport1
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Hello,

1. How did you become a libertarian?

2. Were there any books or people in particular that were instrumental in your transformation?

3. What was it about the libertarian philosophy that attracted you libertarianism?

1. I was not interested in politics, but then decided to research the major parties as well as 3rd parties. I didn't like the D's or R's, but I found Michael Badnarik and his Constitution class. Although I was still a statist, a lot of what the Libertarians were saying appealed to me.

2. #1 is Murray Rothbard, hands down. For A New Liberty to more precise. Other major influences were The Market for Liberty by Linda and Morris Tannehill, Stephan Molyneux and especially his books Everyday Anarchy and Practical Anarchy, Ron Paul, and the radio show Free Talk Live.

3. The consistency. Libertarianism was the only philosophy that appeared to care about a consistent and logical philosophy. If you have to be consistent in math, science, and everything else, why should you not have to be consistent in ethics and economics?

Barrex
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Hello,

I am not from US.

1) Well my grandfather was enemy of the state, my father too...They never actually used word "libertarian" but they lived like they are.

2) See answer above and Magna Carta Libertatum, Bastiat, Constitution of Dubrovnik and a lot of other books (my father is a lawyer, my mother too and now me so I read a lot liberty oriented stuff)

3) My familys "family values" (corny :D). It is a lot better form of government than any other known to me.

The Free Hornet
12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Economics in One Lesson (http://fee.org/files/doclib/20121116_EconomicsInOneLesson.pdf)
[free pdf book - sorry it's not epub]

jonhowe
12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Had to do a report for 9th grade DARE class on marijuana (which I didn't even TOUCH for another 4.5 years). I could not figure out why it was illegal. Thats when I came across Ron Paul discussing it (and everything else, as he tends to do). I wrote my paper about how the US government regularly oversteps the constitution to ban substances, but the papers were never graded (DARE was just "complete" or "incomplete").

I only went deeper down the rabbit hole after that.

mrsat_98
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Al Adask adask.wordpress.com

Pat Shannan formerly media bypass

Richard McDonald www.state-citizen.org

Paul Andrew Mitchell aka Mitch Modelinski author The Federal Zone

Fredick Bastits (sp) THE LAW

TCE
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I was leaning that way because of the various friendly positions libertarianism holds on stuff such as gun owner rights and health freedom. I read pretty much every book by Tom Woods and was convinced. Listening to Ron Paul's speeches throughout the years also helped.

thequietkid10
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm fairly young, not too long ago I was a social liberal, anti Iraq War, and fiscally neutral. I didn't really have much of an opinion about economic policy. Thus I always voted Liberal

My first encounter with Libertarianism came with Ron Paul in 2007. I was something of a political junkie back then and I wanted to take a hard look at all the candidates on both sides. I strongly admired Paul for his principals, but I wasn't ready to embrace the realization of his economic policies. I continued to educate myself learning more and more about free market economics from various media sources (mostly conservative TV and conservative radio). Then Obama was elected (about the same time I graduated from college) and I came to really understand the consequences of liberal economic policies.

specsaregood
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
rpf's taught me that I am not and don't want to be a Libertarian.

Odin
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
First, seeing Ron Paul in the 2007 debates and then later studying philosophy.

Sola_Fide
12-03-2012, 10:45 PM
rpf's taught me that I am not and don't want to be a Libertarian.

Funny, but true. At least for me.

supermario21
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm young as well, having just graduated HS a bit over 2 years ago. I had always been on the right politically, except I started out as a huge pro-war, almost "statist" Republican like a Santorum or Mike Huckabee type. This lasted until about my 10th grade year. The next summer I took economics from my future Senior AP English teacher (yes, he was a double major) and he was a huge libertarian, having run for Congress as a GOPer in the late 70s I believe (albeit losing in the Primary). He would supplement our material with John Stossel videos and showed us the movie "Other People's Money." Additionally, he made copies of "The Fountainhead" available to us and he showed the film in class. Needless to say, by the end of that course I had become an economic libertarian. As this was going on, the GOP nominating season had just wrapped up and although I was a McCain supporter, I started watching Ron's debate videos on youtube. Coincidentally, my mom had just been reading the book "All the Shah's Men," which discussed our meddling in Iran and how we overthrew Mosadegh and installed the Shah essentially to protect BP. Ron had discussed blowback in terms of our foreign policy and used that exact example. Between all of these experiences, I have transitioned from neocon to a fully fledged small l libertarian-Republican.

Looking back on my educational experience in high school, both of my AP English teachers were on the right politically, the one libertarian I mentioned and another I had no idea was one, because I assumed that his whole riding bike to school everyday and growing and producing much of his own food (including cheeses) was a liberal thing at the time. My AP Government teacher was also a conservative, even though he mocked my Ron Paul stances at times jokingly (he loved me as a student). It's funny that throughout that year, I created so many more RP fans at my high school.

Pauls' Revere
12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
The Democrats and Republicans turned me that way.

Professor8000
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
My journey into libertarianism began when I turned 18 and decided to leave High School. Once I got away from what the government wanted me to learn, I started studying human interaction, I focused mostly on government's and how they interact with the people of their country. I would read the news and study declassified material to see what our own government admits to doing. After a year of that and also researching different faiths, I came to the conclusion that the only moral human interaction is a voluntary interaction, and that an individual's right to property was the basis for all rights. At this point I was still paying close attention to MSM news networks, so naturally I believed that I was the only one who believed as I did. The day I found about Ron Paul was the day that I realized that I wasn't alone. A month later I found out what libertarianism was. That was probably about March of 2011. Nothing has been the same for me since.

presence
12-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Study of eastern and western philosophy, time spent debating on forums, study of US and world history, keeping up with global current events. An urge to distance myself emotionally and responsibly from the backing either mainstream democrat or republican policy.

Locke, On Property, acorns
Let it Be, Beatles
Ron Paul on the house floor 2004-2005
Fat Guy Gets Owned by Ron Paul <- First time I saw that it was over.

The legal definition of assault vs the reality of statutory crime.
The crossovers with austrian economics, non-interventionism, limits on police brutality, the drug war, the war on terror, sopa, pipa, ndaa.