PDA

View Full Version : Jim DeMint Not Done After All?

John F Kennedy III
12-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Sen. DeMint Leaves Door Open To White House Bid

By James Rosen | McClatchy Newspapers WASHINGTON — Sen. Jim DeMint on Wednesday backed away from his previous ironclad insistence that he had no interest in running for president and was focused only on helping to elect conservatives to the U.S. Senate.

DeMint, a Greenville, S.C, Republican in his second Senate term, has become a conservative hero to activists across the country for his staunch opposition to federal spending, immigration reform and President Barack Obama’s health insurance law.

DeMint was asked repeatedly by a reporter Wednesday whether, in the wake of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s defeat in the Nov. 6 election, he is weighing a White House run in 2016. Each time DeMint declined to reject the possibility.

“I’m not even thinking about it now,” DeMint told McClatchy in response to the last query about his political ambitions.

The lawmaker known as Senator Tea Party responded with quips to the earlier questions Wednesday.

“I don’t even know how much the (president’s) salary is,” DeMint said.

Told it was $400,000 a year, he quipped: “Is that all?”

Those responses were in marked contrast to his emphatic denials in early 2011 when some conservative leaders were trying to persuade him to run for president.

When CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer asked him in February 2011 whether he was eyeing a White House campaign, DeMint gave a one-word answer: “No.”

Expanding on that response in an interview with McClatchy a week later, DeMint said, “I have no plans to run (for president). I’m focused on fighting in the Senate to save our country from fiscal catastrophe and helping elect more principled conservatives to join the fight.”

The Senate Conservatives Fund that DeMint established has raised millions of dollars for conservative candidates, several of whom have been elected and become influential Republican senators, among them Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

But some conservative analysts and Republican leaders have blamed DeMint for backing candidates who won Senate primaries but lost in the 2010 and 2010 general elections, costing the party seats it could have gained.

Steve Scheffler, a Republican National Committee member from Iowa and an evangelical leader, was among the influential figures from early-primary states who had encouraged DeMint to join the 2012 presidential race.

DeMint on Wednesday also appeared to soften his previous pledge not to seek a third Senate term in 2016, declining to repeat past avowals that his current term will be his last.

“I’m not ruling anything out,” he said.

His responses indicated that, whether he seeks re-election to the Senate or runs for president, DeMint may not be prepared to leave the national political stage in four years as he had previously insisted.

angelatc
12-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Well, I've heard worse news, that's for sure.

justinc.1089
12-03-2012, 02:01 AM
I hope he stays in the senate but does not run for president if we have a good liberty candidate running, and I feel like Rand Paul will do it.

Origanalist
12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Well, I've heard worse news, that's for sure.

Same here, we need the Goober Graham's and the "Hobbit" McCains out, not the Jim Demints

John F Kennedy III
12-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah I'd like to see him in the Senate for as long as he is willing.

Matt Collins
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't think he's running, he's not doing the right things needed to run.

Both him and Rand won't run, I guarantee that; it'll be one or the other.

mz10
12-03-2012, 12:27 PM
DeMint/Paul? Paul/DeMint? Sounds like a dream ticket to me.

FSP-Rebel
12-03-2012, 12:32 PM
DeMint/Paul? Paul/DeMint? Sounds like a dream ticket to me.
This will excite the base like none other in the last 30 years. I'm shaking right now just thinking about the possibilities.

oyarde
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
God Bless Demint in any endeavor he chooses, and thank him for being a voice of reason , when there were few.

TheTexan
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
God Bless Demint in any endeavor he chooses, and thank him for being a voice of reason , when there were few.

He has his faults but as long as he's for secession and sound money that's all that I require

John F Kennedy III
12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
This will excite the base like none other in the last 30 years. I'm shaking right now just thinking about the possibilities.

Well talk it out bro. How will this excite the GOP base to that level?

John F Kennedy III
12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
How would a Rand/Demint ticket excite the base to Reagan level? How do the majority of GOP voters view Demint?

trey4sports
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Yeah i've noted this myself many times. They are too close to run against one another. I just hope we dont get left with Demint as plan A. Which, i think Rand and Jim are both smart enough to know that Rand can build a bigger a bigger coalition.

compromise
12-05-2012, 02:29 AM
DeMint will get an RNC speaking slot and a cabinet position if Rand wins. He won't run against Rand.

John F Kennedy III
12-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah i've noted this myself many times. They are too close to run against one another. I just hope we dont get left with Demint as plan A. Which, i think Rand and Jim are both smart enough to know that Rand can build a bigger a bigger coalition.

I have no interest in DeMint running for president. I'd love for him to keep his Senate seat through about 2036 though :p

Aratus
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM

on the heels of ashley judd seeking to bobble minority leader mitch mcconnell's hold
on henry clay's highly whig senate seat, we have rand paul & jim demint tag teaming?