PDA

View Full Version : CA-Man shoots at banker and kills dogcatcher that had come to foreclose and take his dogs.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
SWAT standoff follows death of animal control officer

Suspect arrested after 17 hour standoff, shot and killed unarmed animal control

http://www.policeone.com/standoff/articles/6051811-SWAT-standoff-follows-death-of-animal-control-officer/

Associated Press

GALT, Calif. — An unarmed animal control officer was shot and killed in Sacramento County on Wednesday while trying to retrieve pets from a home whose owner was evicted the previous day.

The officer had gone to the home to rescue dogs and cats authorities thought had been left behind, a day after Joseph Francis Corey was served an eviction notice and a sheriff's deputy changed the locks.

The officer — Roy Curtis Marcum, 45, of Elk Grove — and a bank employee knocked on the door when Corey fired a shotgun through the door, striking the officer in the torso, Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Jason Ramos said.

Corey, 65, was arrested early Thursday and faces murder charges after a SWAT team managed to get in his garage following a 17-hour standoff.

"What made him take the actions Wednesday that he didn't take Tuesday when officers had contact with him, who knows?" Ramos told the Sacramento Bee ( http://bit.ly/SgU6q9).

The bank official suffered minor injuries but was not hit by gunfire.

Public records show that Corey, a one-time contractor, owned the home from 2006 until a bank put it in foreclosure in 2011. He filed for bankruptcy protection in 2005 and again earlier this year.

His only income came from disability payments of less than $2,000 a month, according to bankruptcy filings. Among his few possessions he listed in 2005 were a Ruger .22-caliber rifle and six Catahoulas, a breed of dog. Corey had complained to officers on Tuesday that he had nowhere to take the animals.

After shooting the officer, Corey refused to leave the two-story house about 20 miles south of Sacramento, police said, and officers from across the county responded and surrounded the home.

They used tear gas to try to force him out, and eventually, a SWAT team made it onto the garage and arrested him around 5 a.m. Thursday.

He was taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure and expected to be book into jail later in the day, Ramos said.

Marcum had been an animal control officer for 14 years, David Dickinson, the county's director of animal control told KCRA-TV. Dickinson said Marcum had helped out numerous times removing animals in homes following eviction notices before he was killed.

In Sacramento County, animal control officers are not sworn officers, so they are not armed.

phill4paul
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
"What made him take the actions Wednesday that he didn't take Tuesday when officers had contact with him, who knows?" Ramos told the Sacramento Bee

A cornered animal will sometimes bite? My guess? He just said "fuck it."

tod evans
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Much better to fight than belly up...

oyarde
12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Certainly one of the stranger stories I have read , this week....

angelatc
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Much better to fight than belly up...

Amen to that. Nowhere to go, going to lose the dogs anyway...

TheTexan
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Am I bad person for wishing that it was the banker who died and the animal control person who lived?

phill4paul
12-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Am I bad person for wishing that it was the banker who died and the animal control person who lived?

Not at all.

juleswin
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Hehe, same feeling here. I hate to see anyone die but if I had to choose, we will be going for the same guy.

Aeroneous
12-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Off the top of my head there are two things in this world I am willing to kill for. One is a well made turkey sandwich, and the other is my Rottweiler.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2012, 07:13 PM
A cornered animal will sometimes bite? My guess? He just said "fuck it."

Yup, that's about it I guess.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Amen to that. Nowhere to go, going to lose the dogs anyway...

And he managed to keep SWAT from killing him.

Got three hots and a cot now.

"Are there no prisons...?"

Petar
12-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Killing is bad mmkay?

Tod
12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
And he managed to keep SWAT from killing him.

Guess we know how the SWAT team feels about an unsworn animal control officer.

Anti Federalist
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Guess we know how the SWAT team feels about an unsworn animal control officer.

You have won the internets.

kathy88
12-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Now all dog catchers will carry.

John F Kennedy III
12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Off the top of my head there are two things in this world I am willing to kill for. One is a well made turkey sandwich, and the other is my Rottweiler.

I'd cripple a distant cousin for a nice plate of homemade biscuits and gravy.

or Whataburger.

oyarde
12-01-2012, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=John F Kennedy III;4757428]I'd cripple a distant cousin for a nice plate of homemade biscuits and gravy.

My honey makes exquisite gravy, when she messes with me , saying I will trade her in on a younger one , I always say, no way, have the one I want :)

John F Kennedy III
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
My honey makes exquisite gravy, when she messes with me , saying I will trade her in on a younger one , I always say, no way, have the one I want :)

Haha that's awesome. Tell her you'll trade her in for two 20-somethings :p

FindLiberty
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Too bad it ended that way.

Anyhow, now Joe Corey is set for life.

Philhelm
12-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Cause and effect.

Anti Federalist
12-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Slow today.

Just noticed where this took place.

GALT, Calif

Carson
12-02-2012, 02:18 AM
I remember hearing that in the last depression by the time it was nearly over people had figured out what to do about property being auctioned off by the banks.

The original owner would show up and bid, "One Dollar!" and anyone that would bid against them would be in big trouble.

The bankers seem to have countered this time by only allowing certain banks to bid PLUS they have looted the little guy for the money to give the banks to bid with. Remember the money counterfeited to bail them out?

Anti Federalist
12-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I remember hearing that in the last depression by the time it was nearly over people had figured out what to do about property being auctioned off by the banks.

The original owner would show up and bid, "One Dollar!" and anyone that would bid against them would be in big trouble.

The bankers seem to have countered this time by only allowing certain banks to bid PLUS they have looted the little guy for the money to give the banks to bid with. Remember the money counterfeited to bail them out?

LOL - watched this in action 15 years ago down in Miami.

USCG would bust "Haitian Freighters", small junk boats, either homemade out of wood or old fishing vessels about 60 to 80 feet long.

http://www.rhizomes.net/issue13/tilsonfreeman/image016.jpg

If running "legally" they would moor up in the Miami river mostly, load up with sacks of beans and rice below decks, and heaps of loosely jumbled together bicycles, doors, buckets and whatever else they could get their hands on.

"Illegally" they would run dope or illegal immigrants.

The seized vessel would be towed to a storage berthing, and the crew and people on board would all get sent back.

In a month or two, the vessel would be auctioned off.

The brother, uncle, father, in laws of the original owners would show up, bid $100 bucks and be on their way again.