PDA

View Full Version : British SAS hero freed from military prison for possesion of firearm

itshappening
12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
2nd Amendment victory in Britain :)

The guy was court martialed and jailed for 18 months. The High Court reduced his sentence to 12 months suspended, now he wants the conviction quashed.

-
One last battle for SAS war hero Danny Nightingale
Danny Nightingale is a man used to fighting battles. As an SAS sergeant of 11 years he has fought suicide bombers, al-Qaeda terrorists and the Taliban in some of the most hostile environments on Earth.

“I want to get my good name back and I want to return to my regiment: I’m still proud to have been a member of the SAS. It has always been the pinnacle of my career.”

At 3.15pm last Thursday in court four of the Royal Courts of Justice, the most senior judge in England and Wales ruled that Sgt Nightingale should be freed from military detention forthwith.

The ruling by Lord Judge, the Lord Chief Justice, was the culmination of a campaign led by Sgt Nightingale’s wife, Sally, and supported by MPs, Government ministers, and hundreds of thousands of members of the public, appalled at what they believed was a gross miscarriage of justice.

Sgt Nightingale’s incarceration, first reported by The Sunday Telegraph, provoked such an outpouring of anger that debates were held in Parliament, arguments erupted in Cabinet and the Prime Minister declared his sympathy for a man who had dedicated his life to serving his country.

Few could see the sense in jailing a soldier, who had spent years fighting what Lord Judge described as a “suicidal enemy”, for possessing a Glock pistol given to him in 2007 as a gift by the Iraqi soldiers he had helped to train.

The sentence was even more extraordinary given the extensive mitigating circumstances. In 2009, Sgt Nightingale suffered severe brain damage during a 132-mile jungle marathon in the Amazon basin in Brazil.

His body temperature rose to 111F (44C), he suffered 13 epileptic fits and spent three days in a coma. When he returned to Britain he could barely speak and had no memory of his daughters, let alone the pistol which had been locked away at the SAS’s headquarters in Hereford.

But while a court martial judge and a board of officers thought the sentence appropriate, it was not a feeling that carried across the majority of the public.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9716288/One-last-battle-for-SAS-war-hero-Danny-Nightingale.html