PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NDAA Expands Power of Military to Detain Citizens

libertygrl
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
November 30, 2012

In response to widespread outrage over the National Defense Authorization Act passed last year, Congress is said to be working on a more Constitution friendly version of the legislation. The latest version was overwhelmingly approved by the House Armed Services Committee on May 8 and introduced the following week.

“This year, through the incorporation of the Right to Habeas Corpus Act, the bill makes clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that every American will have his day in court,” a press release issued by the Armed Services Committee states.

Is the NDAA 2013 an improvement over the previous version? At first glance, it would seem so. Consider the following clause included in the bill:
Nothing in the AUMF [Authorization for the Use of Military Force] or the 2012 NDAA shall be construed to deny the availability of the writ of habeas corpus or to deny any Constitutional rights in a court ordained or established by or under Article III of the Constitution for any person who is lawfully in the United States when detained pursuant to the AUMF and who is otherwise entitled to the availability of such writ or such rights.

However, according to Bruce Afran, a lawyer for a group of journalists and activists suing the government over the NDAA 2012, this is merely smoke and mirrors.

Because there are no established rules allowing a citizen to exercise the right to a civilian trial, as guaranteed by the Constitution (specifically, the Sixth Amendment), detained citizens have no way to gain access to lawyers, family or a civilian court after they are detained by the military.

“The biggest thing about the [2012] NDAA was that you weren’t getting a trial … Nothing in here says that you’ll make it to an Article III court so it literally does nothing,” Dan Johnson, founder of People Against the NDAA, told Business Insider on Thursday. “It’s a bunch of words, basically.”

“The new statute actually states that persons lawfully in the U.S. can be detained under the Authorization for the Use of Military Force [AUMF]. The original (the statute we are fighting in court) never went that far,” Afran explained. “Therefore, under the guise of supposedly adding protection to Americans, the new statute actually expands the AUMF to civilians in the U.S.”

Although Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is being portrayed as a savior by offering up language that would “affirm the Sixth Amendment of the Constitution and limit the indefinite detention of Americans,” more than a few observers of his co-sponsored amendment to the NDAA say the effort does not go far enough.

On Thursday evening, the “Senate voted on Amendment No. 3018 to the National Defense Authorization Act sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), and co-sponsored by Sen. Rand Paul, which protects the rights prescribed to Americans in the Sixth Amendment of the Constitution with regard to indefinite detention and the right to a trial by jury,” Paul’s Senate web page explainds.

“Senator Paul’s amendment – for all the good that it does – doesn’t go far enough. Read the text of the proposal again. There is not one word of repeal or abolition or revocation of the indefinite detention of Americans from the NDAA,” writes Joe Wolverton for the New American.

A previous attempt to placate critics of the NDAA resulted in the Gohmert Amendment (House Amendment 1126) stating that the NDAA will not “deny the writ of habeas corpus or deny any Constitutional rights for persons detained in the United States under the AUMF who are entitled to such rights.”

“This amendment, like the one offered by Senator Paul last week, displays an indefensible use of vague language that would make it vulnerable to challenge in any court in any state in the Union, but somehow adds to its appeal among the Republicans in Congress,” Wolverton comments.

A handful of efforts to make the NDAA constitutionally friendly are little more than a public relations gimmick to silence critics. The NDAA is essential if the government is going to silence critics and disappear activists and other enemies of the establishment.

The bottom line, Bruce Afran said, is that the latest iteration of the NDAA “is still unconstitutional because it allows citizens or persons in the U.S. to be held in military custody, a position that the Supreme Court has repeatedly held is unconstitutional.”

The indefinate detention section of the NDAA must be repealed entirely. Anything short of that is treason.

h ttp://www.infowars.com/2013-ndaa-expands-power-of-military-to-detain-citizens/

belian78
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Forgive me, didnt read the article, but I thought I read on another site that an amendment co-sponsored by Rand was voted in that took away indefinite detention for US Citizens. Did I not have that right?

ghengis86
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
No, you don't have that right at all, unfortunately:

The Government Can Still Black Bag Any American
By Travis Holte
Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:06:33
The Senate passed the much ballyhooed Feinstein-Lee amendment last night, which supposedly partially nullifies the provision in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) allowing for Americans to be kidnapped by the government and disappeared without any charge or due process. Senator Rand Paul put out a press release declaring victory. But as Congressman Justin Amash points out, the wording of the amendment effectively codifies tyranny:

The heart of the Feinstein amendment:

"An authorization to use military force, a declaration of war, or any similar authority shall not authorize the detention without charge or trial of a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States apprehended in the United States, UNLESS AN ACT OF CONGRESS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZES SUCH DETENTION."

Well, that Act of Congress is the 2012 NDAA, which renders the rest of the Feinstein amendment meaningless.

I have some questions. Why are Americans who are traveling, working, living abroad left out of this legislation? Does one only have his rights when he's within the sanctified borders of the U.S.? Why is it not being argued that ALL PEOPLE have the right to due process? Why are there libertarians celebrating this passage when rather than making us more free it really only further enshrines the idea that the State grants (and denies) us our rights?

sailingaway
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
No, you don't have that right at all, unfortunately:

The Government Can Still Black Bag Any American
By Travis Holte
Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:06:33
The Senate passed the much ballyhooed Feinstein-Lee amendment last night, which supposedly partially nullifies the provision in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) allowing for Americans to be kidnapped by the government and disappeared without any charge or due process. Senator Rand Paul put out a press release declaring victory. But as Congressman Justin Amash points out, the wording of the amendment effectively codifies tyranny:

The heart of the Feinstein amendment:

"An authorization to use military force, a declaration of war, or any similar authority shall not authorize the detention without charge or trial of a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States apprehended in the United States, UNLESS AN ACT OF CONGRESS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZES SUCH DETENTION."

Well, that Act of Congress is the 2012 NDAA, which renders the rest of the Feinstein amendment meaningless.

I have some questions. Why are Americans who are traveling, working, living abroad left out of this legislation? Does one only have his rights when he's within the sanctified borders of the U.S.? Why is it not being argued that ALL PEOPLE have the right to due process? Why are there libertarians celebrating this passage when rather than making us more free it really only further enshrines the idea that the State grants (and denies) us our rights?

I'm not sure about this. I have to look at the whole thing with what actually was presented at the end and what actually happened last night, but the version of the Feinstein amendment I saw said the 'Act of Congress' had to be something AFTER the date the current 2013 NDAA goes into effect. I didn't read the final version voted on and can't say it was in there, but I'm not sure it wasn't.

But it didn't eliminate the whole thing in any event, and why an act of congress should be able to ok violating the Constitution I still don't get. But unless something was different from what I had read in an earlier draft, the 'act of congress' requirement would not be satisfied by the 2012 NDAA. Now why Graham and McCain thought the amendment still did permit indefinite detention to the point of voting for it (in Graham's case in any event, I didn't track McCain) is pretty unsettling to me, so I'm not saying I have the clear answer to the ultimate impact of the bill. Others here were watching it play out more closely though and might know.

dinosaur
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Forgive me, didnt read the article, but I thought I read on another site that an amendment co-sponsored by Rand was voted in that took away indefinite detention for US Citizens. Did I not have that right?

You are most likely right, but some have questions about the wording of the bill and are waiting for clarification.
I heard that Lee used to clerk for the supreme court, so I doubt that Rand and Lee got tricked by the wording...I hope not! Most news outlets are reporting that Rand was successful.

Lucille
11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
They should start with the TSA goons. And then detain the Bernank and Fivehead Geithner who have looted the public treasury to line the pockets of their bankster pals, and then move onto the treasonous criminals on Capitol Hill, in the WH, and SCOTUS.

presence
11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Senator Paul’s amendment – for all the good that it does – doesn’t go far enough.

A war is many battles