PDA

View Full Version : CT State Trooper Steals Money and Jewelry From Dying Traffic Victim

SeanTX
11-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Apparently $111K a year wasn't enough for this fine officer of the law ...

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/State-cops-trooper-stole-from-dead-man-4077756.php#ixzz2Di3VsDoc

Aaron Huntsman was a decorated State Police trooper with an unblemished 18-year record in law enforcement -- until Thursday morning.

That's when he was charged with stealing $3,000 and plucking a gold chain from the dying victim of a motorcyle crash on the Merritt Parkway in September.

Huntsman turned himself in at Troop I in Bethany after being told there was a warrant for his arrest.

SNIP

When family of the accident victim, 49-year-old John Scalesse, of Orange, noticed that some of his possessions, including cash and jewelry were missing, they called the state police.

Investigators found Scalesse's clothing at the hospital -- but the other items were missing. They later discovered a large amount of cash in the trooper's cruiser.

Scalesse died while being transported to St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport; police said Huntsman may have swiped the items as Scalesse lay dying in the ambulance.

Huntsman, 43, was charged with two counts of third-degree larceny, interfering with police, and tampering with evidence.

SNIP

Police suspended Huntsman with pay pending an internal affairs investigation. He was released Thursday after posting $5,000 bail and is scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court in Bridgeport on Dec. 10.

kathy88
11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
third-degree larceny

Definition of 3rd Degree Grand Larceny

The crime of larceny under the penal code for each state applies to a person, who through the means of false promise, false pretense, embezzlement or any form of trickery, has the intent of depriving another person of their property. The law also applies to Medicaid cases of fraud. There are four degrees of grand larceny, each with a different classification. Third-degree grand larceny is a Class D felony that applies to all cases of over $3,000 but less than $50,000.

Sec. 53a-123. Larceny in the second degree: Class C felony. (a) A person is guilty of larceny in the second degree when he commits larceny, as defined in section 53a-119, and: (1) The property consists of a motor vehicle, the value of which exceeds five thousand dollars, (2) the value of the property or service exceeds five thousand dollars, (3) the property, regardless of its nature or value, is taken from the person of another, (4) the property is obtained by defrauding a public community, and the value of such property is two thousand dollars or less, or (5) the property, regardless of its nature or value, is obtained by embezzlement, false pretenses or false promise and the victim of such larceny is sixty years of age or older or is blind or physically disabled, as defined in section 1-1f.

I'm going to go with 2nd degree larceny FTW Alex...

presence
11-30-2012, 07:29 AM

charged with stealing $3,000 and plucking a gold chain

Third-degree grand larceny is a Class D felony that applies to all cases of over $3,000

3rd degree

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Nah. They overcharge regular people, and undercharge enforcers. Now he can plea it down further unless they just decide to drop the charges altogether.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-30-2012, 07:33 AM
3rd degree

I guess you missed Kathy's post. She even bolded it for you.

(3) the property, regardless of its nature or value, is taken from the person of another,

It wasn't a trick. He removed it from the person, unless you want to make some case that the money flew off the motorcycle into the cop's pockets.

specsaregood
11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Nah. They overcharge regular people, and undercharge enforcers. Now he can plea it down further unless they just decide to drop the charges altogether.

Just wait until other victims of his thefts start coming forward.

presence
11-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I guess you missed Kathy's post. She even bolded it for you.

(3) the property, regardless of its nature or value, is taken from the person of another,

It wasn't a trick. He removed it from the person, unless you want to make some case that the money flew off the motorcycle into the cop's pockets.

I'm still on my first cup of coffee... can't handle the legalisms yet I guess.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

Nirvikalpa
11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
That is so, so beyond effed up. No words.

jclay2
11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Should be a good PAID vacation for the good old state trooper. My expectation is that the "internal investigation" will not find enough evidence to convict him. Probably will end up with a slap on the wrist. This guy was a vice president for the union. No justice will be served. He is far from a mundane.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Should be a good PAID vacation for the good old state trooper. My expectation is that the "internal investigation" will not find enough evidence to convict him. Probably will end up with a slap on the wrist. This guy was a vice president for the union. No justice will be served. He is far from a mundane.

What if they find his collection of gold teeth?

Henry Rogue
11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Just more proof, that LE is a failed experiment and an unnecessary burden on society.

ctiger2
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Huntsman musta been practicing for a future run as a politician. Or, better yet, a CENTRAL BANKER.

AFPVet
11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh well, the scum is getting a felony either way... hes screwed.

thoughtomator
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
if he gets fired he's got a job waiting at the TSA

CaptainAmerica
11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
when my dad was trapped in a rolled over truck nearly dying a police man wrote him a ticket even though it was a hydraulic malfunction that was completely out of his control.That officer delivered the ticket to the house the day my dad was released from the hospital with really bad injuries.I will always distrust cops,and I am now bitter towards them for many reasons.