PDA

View Full Version : FL-Cop crashes disabled woman off the road for going 57 in a 55 mph area.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
War on Us.

Officer Friendly will be by shortly to dispatch that unlicensed dog of yours as well.

Also note, this poor woman is on a steady morphine drip, but they are going to jail her for having four OxyContin pills.

Aggressive traffic stop - which caused accident - needs greater scrutiny

By Anthony Westbury
Posted November 25, 2012 at 5 a.m.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/nov/25/anthony-westbury-traffic-stop-needs-greater/

Sandra Silasavage hardly looks like a flight risk. Yet that's what a St. Lucie County sheriff's deputy claimed after he used an aggressive driving technique to force her off the road, flipping her SUV on its side in the process.

Silasavage, 62, is handicapped with a chronic spinal condition that barely allows her to walk. She was charged with fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer because she did not pull over when instructed to do so.

Her 2008 Ford Expedition was totaled in the wreck, she's out thousands of dollars and her life has been turned upside down.

Silasavage, who lives in western St. Lucie County not far from the Okeechobee County line, was returning home on State Road 70 on the evening of Oct. 28 after shopping in Fort Pierce. She said she had set her cruise control at 55 mph — the posted speed limit — when she noticed a deputy's patrol car behind her.

The deputy did not have his lights or siren on at first, Silasavage said. She noticed him come alongside her, heard his siren and then "everything went crazy." Her car left the road, rolled and ended up on the driver's side, with Silasavage hanging upside down in her seatbelt.

After breaking her back in a horseriding accident in the 1970s and subsequent unsuccessful surgeries, Silasavage's spine is severely bent and twisted. She walks doubled over and has a morphine pump surgically implanted near her spine to alleviate constant pain.

Deputy Sean Freeman, a 10-year Sheriff's Office veteran, noted in his report Silasavage seemed slumped over the wheel and she did not slow down from her "consistent 57 mph" when he turned on his blue lights. So he initiated a maneuver that's called Precision Immobilization Technique, or P.I.T., an aggressive technique used to stop fleeing vehicles by tapping their rear bumper and spinning them off the road. Use of the maneuver is at the officer's discretion, according to the Sheriff's Office's pursuit guidelines.

Silasavage's criminal defense attorney, Josh Deckard, said the P.I.T. maneuver should be used only when a fleeing driver could pose a public safety hazard or cause loss of life. Deckard spent 15 years in law enforcement in Palm Beach County and taught defensive driving techniques before becoming a lawyer.

Deckard said the use of the P.I.T. maneuver was unwarranted.

"Why is this not called deadly force when it's used by a law enforcement officer?" he asked. "Out of 32 law enforcement agencies in Palm Beach County, nearly all prohibit chases like this except in the most deadly circumstances."

Deckard went on to explain that the P.I.T. maneuver should be used only in situations such as bank robbery pursuits or where firearms have been used.

Silasavage said she did not see Freeman's lights and heard his siren only a few seconds before her vehicle was forced off the road. It wasn't until hours later at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center that she realized what had happened.

"I thought my car had gone out of control," she said.

She also was charged with possession of four oxycodone pills. She claims they were given to her a year ago by a friend and that she never has used that medication.

"I was so angry. I could not believe he did that while I was trying to pull over," Silasavage said. "I can't understand it. He said he was concerned we were close to a construction site, but that's another four miles farther west."

The Sheriff's Office policy notes that "if in the judgment of the deputy, the fleeing vehicle must be stopped immediately to safeguard life and preserve the public safety, the P.I.T. maneuver may be used."

None of those factors seem to apply in this case, on a quiet stretch of highway on a Sunday evening. If Silasavage really had been fleeing, why didn't she speed up?

The Sheriff's Office would not comment because Silasavage has retained legal counsel. Sheriff's spokesman Mark Weinberg did say Freeman has a spotless driving record and an internal administrative review of the case has not altered the office's view that his action was acceptable.

The Sheriff's Office began using the P.I.T. maneuver in 2010, Weinberg said, and since then its use has accelerated from two cases a year to 13 so far in 2012.

The deputy's actions seem like overkill to me. Even if he was concerned about an apparently impaired driver, why did he not simply pull in front of Silasavage to try to stop her?

"It's ludicrous," Silasavage said. "Fleeing and eluding? Ridiculous. Just take a look at me. Are you kidding? The inmates at Rock Road all fell about laughing when they heard what I'd been charged with. I was sitting in a wheelchair."

Silasavage's case has yet to go to court. Let's hope some sanity prevails when it does.

Anthony Westbury is a columnist for Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. This column reflects his opinion. Contact him at 772-409-1320 or

kathy88
11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Those four unprescribed pills will cost her this case.

Petar
11-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Holy fucking depressing.. inching closer and closer to Iran level police abuse here...

phill4paul
11-30-2012, 08:19 AM
"Why is this not called deadly force when it's used by a law enforcement officer?"

Because, FUCK YOU...that's why. Now move along before I track down and taze your grandmother.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

coastie
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Yep-the Sunshine State is deathly afraid of pills, and will lock you up and throw away the keys if your found in possession of pills you don't have a script for. It's a felony for EACH pill you possess.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Yep-the Sunshine State is deathly afraid of pills, and will lock you up and throw away the keys if your found in possession of pills you don't have a script for. It's a felony for EACH pill you possess.

How dare a woman who needs a morphine pump to kind-of function be in possession of 4 tablets of Oxycontin!

In their infinite wisdom the "Drug-Warriors" will undoubtedly have her pain meds cancelled and incarcerate her for driving hunched over with 4 tablets in her vehicle....

Henry Rogue
11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
High fives and medals for protecting the innocent. It would be ludicrous if it wasn't so horrendous.

PaulConventionWV
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
War on Us.

Officer Friendly will be by shortly to dispatch that unlicensed dog of yours as well.

Also note, this poor woman is on a steady morphine drip, but they are going to jail her for having four OxyContin pills.

Aggressive traffic stop - which caused accident - needs greater scrutiny

By Anthony Westbury
Posted November 25, 2012 at 5 a.m.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/nov/25/anthony-westbury-traffic-stop-needs-greater/

Sandra Silasavage hardly looks like a flight risk. Yet that's what a St. Lucie County sheriff's deputy claimed after he used an aggressive driving technique to force her off the road, flipping her SUV on its side in the process.

Silasavage, 62, is handicapped with a chronic spinal condition that barely allows her to walk. She was charged with fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer because she did not pull over when instructed to do so.

Her 2008 Ford Expedition was totaled in the wreck, she's out thousands of dollars and her life has been turned upside down.

Silasavage, who lives in western St. Lucie County not far from the Okeechobee County line, was returning home on State Road 70 on the evening of Oct. 28 after shopping in Fort Pierce. She said she had set her cruise control at 55 mph — the posted speed limit — when she noticed a deputy's patrol car behind her.

The deputy did not have his lights or siren on at first, Silasavage said. She noticed him come alongside her, heard his siren and then "everything went crazy." Her car left the road, rolled and ended up on the driver's side, with Silasavage hanging upside down in her seatbelt.

After breaking her back in a horseriding accident in the 1970s and subsequent unsuccessful surgeries, Silasavage's spine is severely bent and twisted. She walks doubled over and has a morphine pump surgically implanted near her spine to alleviate constant pain.

Deputy Sean Freeman, a 10-year Sheriff's Office veteran, noted in his report Silasavage seemed slumped over the wheel and she did not slow down from her "consistent 57 mph" when he turned on his blue lights. So he initiated a maneuver that's called Precision Immobilization Technique, or P.I.T., an aggressive technique used to stop fleeing vehicles by tapping their rear bumper and spinning them off the road. Use of the maneuver is at the officer's discretion, according to the Sheriff's Office's pursuit guidelines.

Silasavage's criminal defense attorney, Josh Deckard, said the P.I.T. maneuver should be used only when a fleeing driver could pose a public safety hazard or cause loss of life. Deckard spent 15 years in law enforcement in Palm Beach County and taught defensive driving techniques before becoming a lawyer.

Deckard said the use of the P.I.T. maneuver was unwarranted.

"Why is this not called deadly force when it's used by a law enforcement officer?" he asked. "Out of 32 law enforcement agencies in Palm Beach County, nearly all prohibit chases like this except in the most deadly circumstances."

Deckard went on to explain that the P.I.T. maneuver should be used only in situations such as bank robbery pursuits or where firearms have been used.

Silasavage said she did not see Freeman's lights and heard his siren only a few seconds before her vehicle was forced off the road. It wasn't until hours later at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center that she realized what had happened.

"I thought my car had gone out of control," she said.

She also was charged with possession of four oxycodone pills. She claims they were given to her a year ago by a friend and that she never has used that medication.

"I was so angry. I could not believe he did that while I was trying to pull over," Silasavage said. "I can't understand it. He said he was concerned we were close to a construction site, but that's another four miles farther west."

The Sheriff's Office policy notes that "if in the judgment of the deputy, the fleeing vehicle must be stopped immediately to safeguard life and preserve the public safety, the P.I.T. maneuver may be used."

None of those factors seem to apply in this case, on a quiet stretch of highway on a Sunday evening. If Silasavage really had been fleeing, why didn't she speed up?

The Sheriff's Office would not comment because Silasavage has retained legal counsel. Sheriff's spokesman Mark Weinberg did say Freeman has a spotless driving record and an internal administrative review of the case has not altered the office's view that his action was acceptable.

The Sheriff's Office began using the P.I.T. maneuver in 2010, Weinberg said, and since then its use has accelerated from two cases a year to 13 so far in 2012.

The deputy's actions seem like overkill to me. Even if he was concerned about an apparently impaired driver, why did he not simply pull in front of Silasavage to try to stop her?

"It's ludicrous," Silasavage said. "Fleeing and eluding? Ridiculous. Just take a look at me. Are you kidding? The inmates at Rock Road all fell about laughing when they heard what I'd been charged with. I was sitting in a wheelchair."

Silasavage's case has yet to go to court. Let's hope some sanity prevails when it does.

Anthony Westbury is a columnist for Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. This column reflects his opinion. Contact him at 772-409-1320 or

Sounds like a case of roid rage. I wouldn't be surprised if he raped her on the spot. Maybe that's just me, but that's the impression I'm getting from all the shit cops have been doing lately.

Philhelm
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

No, I think these disciples of evil should be hanged by their own entrails.

PaulConventionWV
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Holy fucking depressing.. inching closer and closer to Iran level police abuse here...

Are Iran police even that tough? I say tough in the worst possible way. I don't even know. It's really shocking to hear the use of the PIT maneuver is at the discretion of the officer. I honestly can't think of any logical reason the cop would feel any need to do that other than he needed to add some excitement to his boring shift.

PaulConventionWV
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
High fives and medals for protecting the innocent. It would be ludicrous if it wasn't so horrendous.

I would describe it as both ludicrous AND horrendous.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Are Iran police even that tough? I say tough in the worst possible way. I don't even know. It's really shocking to hear the use of the PIT maneuver is at the discretion of the officer. I honestly can't think of any logical reason the cop would feel any need to do that other than he needed to add some excitement to his boring shift.

Circular Force Continuum.

In many ways, this is worse than the corruption of say Mexican "Federales" or the outright brutal tactics of say the Iranian SAVAK (if they are still in place).

Those other outfits operate like gang, and if you hold no interest to them or have enough money to pay them off, you'll skate, for the most part.

Here, the full force of law is still backing the cop establishment, and like the president, they have now ceded themselves the authority to kill anyone, anywhere, anytime for any reason, or no reason at all, other than "the suspect threatened officer safety".

It's like the executive branch labeling somebody a "terrorist".

Just by saying so, they now consider themselves to have carte blanche powers to incinerate you on sight, no questions asked.

AFPVet
11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
So this idiot causes a crash in order to prevent the medicated woman from crashing? If they absolutely had to stop her, there's a maneuver called a "rolling roadblock" which places on car in front of hers, and a second vehicle behind that gradually slow the vehicle to a stop. This would've been the safe method. What this idiot did was endanger her life and the lives of others on the road.

This bozo gets the Idiocracy award of the day.

CaptainAmerica
11-30-2012, 01:24 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7tlZ-7nuHCA/TQsC8WchM2I/AAAAAAAAAaU/Qgy7BycSOqQ/s1600/14_knightphotoshop.jpg

many things including chivalry are dead

AGRP
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM

http://media.tcpalm.com/media/img/photos/2012/11/23/749893_t300.JPG

:rolleyes:

satchelmcqueen
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
my aunt was found guilty of drug trafficing because she took a headache pill at the school she worked at saw her take it. she had worked there 2o years. her life is over now.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
my aunt was found guilty of drug trafficing because she took a headache pill at the school she worked at saw her take it. she had worked there 2o years. her life is over now.

Yes, that is what a police state is.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
This bozo gets the Idiocracy award of the day.

If my spidey senses are working properly, I'd say he'll get "Officer of the Year" or something like that instead.

It won't be long before we're being blown away at roadblocks and checkpoints like Iraqis are.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
If my spidey senses are working properly, I'd say he'll get "Officer of the Year" or something like that instead.

It won't be long before we're being blown away at roadblocks and checkpoints like Iraqis are.

Come on man it's for the kids............Whadda you some kind of hippie?

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Come on man it's for the kids............Whadda you some kind of hippie?

Gotta kill those kids to save those kids.

They were gonna grow up to be terrirists anyway.

'Merica!!!

http://thewe.cc/thewe_/images_5/-----/illuminati-system/three-children-killed-by-drone-strike.jpg

http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/640/ntzewk.jpg

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
And that 12 year girl that was grenaded and given third degree burns by cops in MT?

She was gonna grow up to be meth head.

tod evans
11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
And that 12 year girl that was grenaded and given third degree burns by cops in MT?

She was gonna grow up to be meth head.

Quit it, I'm repless...

Origanalist
11-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Quit it, I'm repless...

Covered. This story has me so pissed off, I'm probably better off shutting up.

aGameOfThrones
11-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Don't want to get P.I.T(ed), don't break the law.

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Don't want to get P.I.T(ed), don't break the law.

Damn right.

Philhelm
11-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Except, how do I know what the laws of the land are?

aGameOfThrones
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ewuaZqQ31r5uywyo1_400.jpg

Origanalist
11-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. And doing 57 in a 55 is reason enough to attempt to murder you.

liberty2897
11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k

Indy Vidual
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Don't forget the good cops:
http://i.imgur.com/ZzrtT.jpg

Anti Federalist
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM

"I'm sorry sir, what was that? How do you know the laws? FUCK YOU, that's how you know them!" - Officer Friendly