PDA

View Full Version : RP's "Exit Interview" with Washington Post: Hopeful, Humble, and Hating Welfare 4 the rich

sailingaway
11-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Ron Paul's "Exit Interview" with Washington Post: Hopeful, Humble, and Hating Welfare for the Rich

The Washington Post's web site this morning runs its "exit interview" with Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) who is packing up his D.C. condo and selling it as he leaves Congress, having chosen not to run for re-election for the seat he's held from Texas since 1996 (after two previous stints in Congress from 1976-84).

You can watch the video here, it's about five minutes long. http://www.dailypaul.com/264569/ron-paul-s-exit-interview-with-the-washington-post?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailypaul%2FFClq+%28The+Daily +Paul+-+Ron+Paul+for+President+2012%29

In the interview, Paul fingers the military-industrial complex and the Federal Reserve system of inflation and big bank giveaways as the most dangerous special interests in government today, and laments that "those who just want their freedom and to take care of themselves" are the least influential group in today's government.

The Post's Brook Silva-Braga asks Paul why he thinks his freedom message can't manage to build a 51 percent coalition; Paul observes that more generic expressions of a liberty message--general belief in free enterprise and keeping what you earn, keeping government out of our private lives, not being policeman of the world--get surprising assent.

But "when it comes to particulars people don't necessarily stick with it. "Yes, but you go too far, you want too much freedom!" (A common phenomenon when it comes to libertarianism, which I have long found gets greater assent the more vaguely you express its principles.)

Paul then sounds more like the "Man of the Left" I framed him as in my feature article in Reason's November issue, noting that while he started out as a more standard Republican worried about welfare for "those who won't work and get food stamps" he has a "completely different" opinion now. He's more concerned now with the special benefits that the wealthy get from a government dedicated to crony capitalism.

more
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/29/ron-pauls-exit-interview-with-washington