PDA

View Full Version : Now working for federal government.

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
So I just got a job with the USPS as a temporary casual mail handler. About 20-30+ days for the holidays.

Unfortunately, I now have a federal record from the USPS employment process that will stay there until I am 75 and another 30 years after that in archive. They also took my fingerprints. It kinda sucks that I now have a file within the federal government.

Now that I have a file, I wonder how does it affect me. I know that if I do a bad job or something happens.. the file will stay with me and if I somehow apply for another federal job (like for the TSA, just kidding) they would look at my past federal employment.

I am going to assume that new world order, banker, elitist scum also now have a "file" of me. I am probably making too much of a big deal haha.

Job training at 7am at one facility (25miles away =[) and job starts at 6pm until wee hours of morning at another facility (22 miles away).

Also, I get to take an oath to the Constitution =p... Not that an oath matters these days.

I hope I can complete my term there. I know it is going to be a workout and I am out of shape, but I am going to assume it may not be as bad as I think it would from looking at the other applicants that were accepted.

And alas, I get to take a urine drug test.

Anyone here work at the USPS and have some advice?

tangent4ronpaul
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
It will put you in front of everyone else looking for a federal job that has never worked for the federal gvmt before, but behind those that were full time employees.

If you have any specific questions, I have a friend that works for the PRC and knows more about USPS than you really want to know.

Oh, and just make sure you let my pot brownies through unmolested - k? <wink>

I believe UPS and FedEx pay better, but there is heavier lifting. I've heard that both companies keep some of their holiday temps that perform well. I don't think USPS keeps any temps.

-t

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
USPS terminate temps within 1-90 days.

What does PRC mean? People's Republic of China? haha.

Yeah. I suppose having a federal record could provide me with a better chance to get another federal job in the future, presumably I do a good job.

Swear to the constitution and uphold the sanctity of mail.

tangent4ronpaul
11-29-2012, 02:00 PM
PRC = Postal Regulatory Commission

May you get into better shape, earn some dough, and never meet anyone from the Postal Inspector Service (the mail cops) !

-t

tod evans
11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
A fellow at my church is a retired postal inspector.....

He's sucking a nice pension from the post office...

phill4paul
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
At least you may be getting Saturdays off.

ronpaulfollower999
11-29-2012, 02:35 PM
TPTB had a file before your job I'm sure.

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah. The older USPS workers have nice benefits and good pay. USPS is trying to get rid of old workers and hire new workers for much lower pay (i think 14/hr vs 24/hr) and less benefits. I don't particularly plan on working there long term, I hope.

Gonna use the money for holiday, pay for overpriced tuition at my community college for classes i cant get at least for the moment or possibly as bootstrap funding for my business.

tangent4ronpaul
11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
As for paying for tuition, it's a really good time to be applying for grants. Don't look on the internet, but go to a decent sized library and they will have a 2 volume set of reference books, each the size of a large telephone directory listing them. It takes a while to go through them. Your heritage, gender, the field you want to go into, your parents profession, and on and on and on... It will take you some effort to apply for each one, and that generally includes and essay and must be individually tailored to what they want to see. We live in an instant gratification society and most people don't even think of grants, let alone are willing to apply so far in advance or put in the effort. For this reason, some grants never get awarded, because no one applies for them.

Generally deadlines are Nov-March and awards come out in the fall.

How much are you paying a semester? Out here it's about $1,000 a semester - full time. (community college. uni is about 3K for undergrad).

Generally, "employee's" of the school get free tuition. You might see if they have openings.

-t

Confederate
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
TPTB had a file before your job I'm sure.

Yup. They have a file on everyone. If you want a copy ask Danke.

itshappening
11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
good luck with the job!

squarepusher
11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I was interested in tipipng my mail carrier like $100 this year. Can you ask around and find out if that is OK? I have heard different opioins based on this. thanks!

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
As for paying for tuition, it's a really good time to be applying for grants. Don't look on the internet, but go to a decent sized library and they will have a 2 volume set of reference books, each the size of a large telephone directory listing them. It takes a while to go through them. Your heritage, gender, the field you want to go into, your parents profession, and on and on and on... It will take you some effort to apply for each one, and that generally includes and essay and must be individually tailored to what they want to see. We live in an instant gratification society and most people don't even think of grants, let alone are willing to apply so far in advance or put in the effort. For this reason, some grants never get awarded, because no one applies for them.

Generally deadlines are Nov-March and awards come out in the fall.

How much are you paying a semester? Out here it's about $1,000 a semester - full time. (community college. uni is about 3K for undergrad).

Generally, "employee's" of the school get free tuition. You might see if they have openings.

-t

I had pell grant and cal grant when I went to a university for 3 years. For the moment I am just looking to complete two or three classes as prerequisites for a health related training program later on (which is about a total of 5,000 for 2 years including books and etc etc) at the community college. Appears some of my pears failed to get classes this winter session and have to wait for spring.

I suppose I should take a gander at the library.

I'll ask when i start job training next week.

tangent4ronpaul
11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I was interested in tipipng my mail carrier like $100 this year. Can you ask around and find out if that is OK? I have heard different opioins based on this. thanks!

frm my friend in the PRC:

$20 maximum and it can't be cash, only a gift card or other item worth $20 or less.

It's a very good idea to tip the carrier. They work very hard and they often help to fix problems, sometimes even ones you don't know about.

=============

I've tipped mine cash, like $10-20 and told them to buy lunch or a 6 pack... No problems.

The one issue here is that the carriers vary. Around here at least. There seem to be be 2-3 that rotate.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM

frm my friend in the PRC:

$20 maximum and it can't be cash, only a gift card or other item worth $20 or less.

It's a very good idea to tip the carrier. They work very hard and they often help to fix problems, sometimes even ones you don't know about.

=============

I've tipped mine cash, like $10-20 and told them to buy lunch or a 6 pack... No problems.

The one issue here is that the carriers vary. Around here at least. There seem to be be 2-3 that rotate. I mean you could end up tipping the carrier that was filling in for a couple of days while the person that gave you great service was on vacation or sick or whatever...

-t

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 07:37 PM
lol i tried moving five 5 gallon jugs of water from one end of my house to another (which took a few minutes) and I already felt the strain. i think a 5 gallon jug of water is 41 pounds. I doubt I will come across packages weighing more than a few pounds, although I read that USPS might come across packages weighing up to 70 pounds. Most likely there are protocols in place for heavy packages to prevent injury.

On one hand I am grateful for a job, albeit temporary. On the other hand it will be heavy, physical work in a new surrounding at night and on holidays. I just hope I am cut out to at least complete my term ^^

Matt Collins
11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
TPTB had a file before your job I'm sure.Yeah but they likely didn't have their prints :(

That's reason enough for me not to do it.

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah but they likely didn't have their prints :(

That's reason enough for me not to do it.

Each of my fingers were printed twice... once rolled over and once by pressing and lifting. Yeah, I was caught off guard to learn that I need to get my fingerprints done. I am surprised they didn't do a palm print too while they were at it and did biometric and scanning of my eyes.

It wont be in police databases right? Can police search federal records for this print? D:

Matt Collins
11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
It wont be in police databases right? Can police search federal records for this print? D:Of course.

John F Kennedy III
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
I just got hired Monday as a telemarketer. Name highlights of the day:

John McCain and John Holmes. In Ohio.

alucard13mmfmj
11-29-2012, 08:06 PM
I just got hired Monday as a telemarketer. Name highlights of the day:

John McCain and John Holmes. In Ohio.

http://sharetv.org/images/guide/128022.jpg
NO! I dont want any magazines.

I am probably just overreacting with the finger printing. I suppose I am a bit nervous, anxious, scared since this is my first paying job and because my employer is the government.

John F Kennedy III
11-30-2012, 02:01 AM
http://sharetv.org/images/guide/128022.jpg
NO! I dont want any magazines.

I am probably just overreacting with the finger printing. I suppose I am a bit nervous, anxious, scared since this is my first paying job and because my employer is the government.

Relax, we are all in the system already.

thoughtomator
11-30-2012, 02:33 AM
The fingerprints are to check for a criminal record, to make sure you're not masquerading under another identity. As long as that's not the case, you'll be fine, your prints will be lost in a filing cabinet in some basement somewhere with a broken light and a sign reading "Beware of the tiger".

lx43
11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Congratulations on your new job! Just remember make sure that only 50% of the people get their mail; otherwise you'll be fired or never promoted. lol

Not sure why it won't work on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohy3dhylZj8

alucard13mmfmj
12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I also thought it was strange that while I was filling out a packet of (13-15 pages) and signing and dating them. The employees there told me to not bother reading and just fill, sign, date.

I didn't listen to them. I read most of what I signed.

alucard13mmfmj
12-08-2012, 02:09 PM
So today I had job training for 4 hours, which strangely was just watching USPS videos that were made in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.. and reading a safety packet and taking an oath to defend the constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic and protect the sanctity of mail..

heavenlyboy34
12-08-2012, 02:10 PM
So I just got a job with the USPS as a temporary casual mail handler. About 20-30+ days for the holidays.

Unfortunately, I now have a federal record from the USPS employment process that will stay there until I am 75 and another 30 years after that in archive. They also took my fingerprints. It kinda sucks that I now have a file within the federal government.

Now that I have a file, I wonder how does it affect me. I know that if I do a bad job or something happens.. the file will stay with me and if I somehow apply for another federal job (like for the TSA, just kidding) they would look at my past federal employment.

I am going to assume that new world order, banker, elitist scum also now have a "file" of me. I am probably making too much of a big deal haha.

Job training at 7am at one facility (25miles away =[) and job starts at 6pm until wee hours of morning at another facility (22 miles away).

Also, I get to take an oath to the Constitution =p... Not that an oath matters these days.

I hope I can complete my term there. I know it is going to be a workout and I am out of shape, but I am going to assume it may not be as bad as I think it would from looking at the other applicants that were accepted.

And alas, I get to take a urine drug test.

Anyone here work at the USPS and have some advice?
STATIST!!!!111!!! (j/k ;) )