PDA

View Full Version : Copyright + UCC = LMAO

Tpoints
11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
http://gawker.com/5963225/that-facebook-copyright-thing-is-meaningless-and-you-should-stop-sharing-it

One thing I've learned over the last year, whenever somebody cites UCC, or "common law" it's because they don't have actual law to stand on.

Usually people who do this are the same people who either complain they don't have enough privacy, or complain they don't have enough freedom to pirate copyrighted works.

What happens when they mix these arguments in their favor? A very laughable joke.

The irony & hypocrisy of privacy paranoid conspiracy theorists using UCC and Copyright as a workaround to protecting their alleged privacy (which they explicitly signed away when using facebook), go figure.

Natural Citizen
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
People who value their right to privacy don't tinker with playthings like facebook.

You're making the argument that if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the rocks. Of course a frog doesn't have wings.

fisharmor
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Common law is the only valid law.

AFPVet
11-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Indeed

Tpoints
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
People who value their right to privacy don't tinker with playthings like facebook.

You're making the argument that if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the rocks. Of course a frog doesn't have wings.

Yeah, exactly.

jbauer
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM

I don't do faceboook but honestly I don't see much of a difference between posting crap on there and posting crap on here. Its all trackable.

Natural Citizen
11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't do faceboook but honestly I don't see much of a difference between posting crap on there and posting crap on here. Its all trackable.

Yes, I know. facebook is a different guinea pig of sorts though. Getting back to the flying frog reference. Which was the more relevant spew the other poster ignored.

I don't know that folks truly understand the depth of which some aspects of digital technology ultimately serve to pee all over their constitution. To use those stupid examples of what folks are doing on facebook as far as property rights is silly. That's big boy speak reserved for other tables and chairs. Not childish facebook shenanigans.

Tpoints
11-30-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHDM7PfyYs

TheGrinch
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM

So what you're saying is that if you agree to the terms and services to join facebook, no common law is going restrict your rights you just waived.

tangent4ronpaul
11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Once upon a time, the offspring of a very powerful, wealthy and puritanical corporation finally got together and did the "wild thang". I am of course referring to Micky and Minnie Mouse. Besides the subject matter, there was this little problem that the artist of the cartoon didn't work for the corporation. Disney had a conniption fit! They went ballistic! They went to the courts and to Congress. They massively pushed back the time copyrights are in effect. As a result tens of thousands of films from the 20's, 30's and 40's will be lost forever as it's not worth it to preserve and restore them with any chance of a payback that many years out. The underlying media is deteriorating.

The Constitution has a statement about inventors and creators having a monopoly on their creation for a reasonable number of years. As far as books, they fall out of print and become hard to access.

What about Pharmaceuticals? They get a patent for 10-12 years. This promotes "evergreening", developing a new drug that is chemically similar but that you can get a new patent on, as the old drug just went generic and is cheap. Sometimes the old, cheap, generic drug is better than the new, heavily promoted, and EXPENSIVE drug. Case in point, prilosec vs nexium. There is also the problem of regulation and approval, that has made drug costs skyrocket. It has also lead to drugs for diseases effecting areas that are not wealthy not being developed and professors faking tests and sometimes getting really bad drugs out there, just because it's so expensive to develop a drug.

Wouldn't it make more sense for drug companies getting a monopoly for 100 years or have to be paid a royalty and getting drug prices near generic out of the door?

Our intellectual property laws are messed up. How would you fix them?

-t

Natural Citizen
11-30-2012, 05:13 PM
How would you fix them?

Stop catering to the illegitimate rights of vampires who do not eat, breath, sleep, walk or talk but exist solely upon growth like the virus they are. Youth cannot any longer remain under the influence of billion dollar industry who only want to corporatize them. The ultimate fix is to rescribble some citizenship.

Growth and survival are two completely different phenomenon and the vampires are sucking the blood of life from man.