PDA

View Full Version : Future Bad Cops? Walmart security guard and employees kill shoplifter

aGameOfThrones
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
A man suspected of shoplifting two DVD players from a Lithonia, Ga., Walmart today died after an altercation with two store employees and a contract security guard, prompting a police investigation.

The man, whose identity has not been released, exited through the front door of the store at 1:30 a.m. today and was confronted in the parking lot, according to DeKalb County police.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found the employees on top of the middle-aged man, according to a police report obtained by ABC News affiliate WSB-TV. When an officer bent down to handcuff the suspect, he noticed there was no resistance.

At that point, the officer noticed the suspect was bleeding from the nose and mouth, according to the report. He was transported to DeKalb Medical-Hillandale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"This is truly a sad situation. We don't know all of the facts right now. We're in the process of working with law enforcement to determine all of the facts and cooperating and providing any information we have to assist in the investigation," Dianna Gee, Walmart spokesperson, said in a statement issued to ABC News.

Gee said the contract security guard will no longer be providing services to the retailer. The two store employees have been suspended with pay while Walmart assists police in the investigation.

"Our associates are trained that the safety of our customers and our associates is our first priority," Gee said. "No amount of merchandise is worth someone's life. Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk. That being said, this is still an active investigation and we're working with police to provide any assistance."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/shoplift-suspect-dies-confrontation-walmart-workers-234946540--abc-news-topstories.html

nobody's_hero
11-26-2012, 10:37 AM
1. Bleeding from the nose and mouth means they did more than just restrain him, unless I suppose the security guard and employees were fat and sat on him and caused internal bleading.

2. Did they recover stolen DVD players? The article says 'suspected' theft, but there's no indication whether or not he actually attempted to steal. If they beat someone up for 'not stealing', then this is an even bigger screw up.

squarepusher
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
sounds like a huge lawsuit incoming

jtstellar
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
'Gee said the contract security guard will no longer be providing services to the retailer'

not sure why people would miss this but this line already speaks volume of the difference than it would have it been, had it been a police-kill

sounds like a huge lawsuit incoming

um ya, doesn't this again speak volumes, that there will be a lawsuit in the first place? instead of just a court-protected police force

i think the libertarian stance isn't saying jobs involving violence should be perfect.. anytime you have a profession that involves the use of force or violence, there will always be more controversy compared to the rest. rather it is about having the ability to hold the parties accountable after an investigation, instead of a public squad responsible for carrying out violence just shrugging their shoulders 'oops, i was just doing my job' when controversies occur.

and i have no problem with stories involving real people, but i am tired of hearing dog incidents

AFPVet
11-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, the entire event was recorded by in store surveillance... that's going to bite them later on in civil court. This is the reason why most security guards are only allowed to "observe and report". They have cameras inside and outside of the store that can get the guy's plates. All of the evidence is there... it can work for or against you.

Of course, I doubt the police encounter would go much different.

torchbearer
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
theft is a dangerous business.
i'd been more humane. quick shot to the head instead of the pummeling.

QuickZ06
11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Good lord, who is this rent-a-cop acting like a cop.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
And since it was Mundanes, it is unlikely that the video footage will mysteriously "disappear" or get deleted.

Well, the entire event was recorded by in store surveillance... that's going to bite them later on in civil court. This is the reason why most security guards are only allowed to "observe and report". They have cameras inside and outside of the store that can get the guy's plates. All of the evidence is there... it can work for or against you.

Zippyjuan
11-26-2012, 12:54 PM

The confrontation occured in the parking lot- they may or may not have camaras out there (probably didn't). Some don't put them much beyond the front door.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2012, 01:24 PM
The confrontation occured in the parking lot- they may or may not have camaras out there (probably didn't). Some don't put them much beyond the front door.

Wal Marx?

The outside of every Wal marx I've ever seen is crawling with cameras.

CPUd
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

They have more cameras at a Wal-mart than they do at the airport, especially in the parking lots.

I lol'd at one of the little gas station pumps that had a sign "no pre-pay, we trust you!" on the pump. A few feet away on a pole, there was a sign "surveillance monitoring on these premises - shoplifters will be caught and prosecuted."

AGRP
11-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Their only crime was not being "real" cops. Now they'll do time.

QuickZ06
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Wal Marx?

But then I find it odd with all that "great" surveillance, that out of all the crimes I hear about that take place in parking lots, they are always at Wal-Mart......

Zippyjuan
11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Wal Marx?

I've only been to WalMarx once.

AFPVet
11-26-2012, 03:52 PM
The confrontation occurred in the parking lot- they may or may not have camaras out there (probably didn't). Some don't put them much beyond the front door.

Our store did where I worked security as an off duty cop. We could see the entire property and zoom in to catch the license plates.