PDA

View Full Version : OK Electoral College, don't let me down. I want to see a bunch of Ron Paul votes.

Starfield
11-24-2012, 04:46 PM
And by "a bunch" I really mean a number greater than zero.

Dr.3D
11-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Ehhh.... little late for this thread isn't it? The election is over.

Expatriate
11-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Oh man I can't believe we spaced on the date!

http://i.imgur.com/rknL7.jpg

Origanalist
11-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Rip Van Winkle?

Keith and stuff
11-24-2012, 05:00 PM

No. The actual vote hasn't happened yet.

When does the Electoral College cast its votes?

Each state's electors meet on the Monday following the second Wednesday of December. They cast their votes then, and those votes are sent to the President of the Senate who reads them before both houses of Congress on January 6th.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/what-is-the-electoral-college_n_2078970.html

Dr.3D
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
No. The actual vote hasn't happened yet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/what-is-the-electoral-college_n_2078970.html
Oh thanks... I didn't know that.

Origanalist
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok :o

itshappening
11-24-2012, 05:29 PM
The electors are the most loyal of the loyal party hacks.

KCIndy
11-24-2012, 08:46 PM

This.

Most of the time, lapdogs aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. :(

dntrpltt
11-25-2012, 12:36 AM
If we are the luckiest people alive, we might see a single Ron Paul electoral vote from a state that don't bind their electors (based on that article from a few months ago). Otherwise, from the looks of how everything played out this year, don't get your hopes up too high.

John F Kennedy III
11-25-2012, 01:08 AM
How does the vote usually go?

dntrpltt
11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
How does the vote usually go?

Because the Electors are basically appointed by party leaders, and because most are bound by state law, the Electors almost always vote for who they were on the slate for--North Carolina's Electors will go for Romney, California's for Obama, etc. The only recent time when an Elector intentionally did not vote for who they were on the slate for was in 2000 when a D.C. Elector pledged for Gore decided not to vote in protest of D.C.'s lack of statehood. More recently, but arguably by accident, a Minnesotan Elector in 2004 voted for John Edwards for President, rather than VP.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector)

Keith and stuff
11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
The only time an Elector intentionally did not vote for who they were on the slate for, I believe, was in 2000 when a D.C. Elector pledged for Gore decided not to vote in protest of D.C.'s lack of statehood.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector)

The link you posted showed it has happened a bunch of times.

dntrpltt
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
The link you posted showed it has happened a bunch of times.

Ah. Sorry, I meant to say add recently in that sentence. (As you can see by the link, after 2000, the most recent time would be 1988, and even that could be considered unintentional.)

erowe1
11-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Careful.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about that will get you banned.

gerryb1
11-27-2012, 02:23 PM

This being the case, wouldn't you expect the folks we got in would stay loyal to RP.. or at least go with Vermin Supreme? =P

gerryb1
11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Because the Electors are basically appointed by party leaders

Most are elected by 300-2,000 people in each congressional district. The same as delegates.

angelatc
11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
If we are the luckiest people alive, we might see a single Ron Paul electoral vote from a state that don't bind their electors (based on that article from a few months ago). Otherwise, from the looks of how everything played out this year, don't get your hopes up too high.

I predict that person will be known as an "electard."

Seriously, I'd do it. It's the only shot I'd have at a place in a history book.

jllundqu
11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Careful.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about that will get you banned.

Be careful, my boy.... you've got a dangling participle!

Dr.3D
11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Be careful, my boy.... you've got a dangling participle!
I always check my zipper before going out in public just to make sure that doesn't happen to me.

dntrpltt
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Most are elected by 300-2,000 people in each congressional district. The same as delegates.

Sure, you are elected the same way delegates are. Of course, most of the time you have a chairman's pick, just as you would have a slate for delegates. Plus, where we might can pull one delegate out in a district where three hail from, it is much harder to get a single person for Elector. This position almost always goes to a lifelong party member, and one who has the full endorsement of the party leader. Thus, in the end, you are essentially appointed.

Starfield
12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
So, zero then? I think. I can't find any actual results, but I haven't seen any stories about "faithless electors" either.

A complete shutout.

sailingaway
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
We had some Ron Paul supporters elected as electors, but the penalties for 'faithless electors' varies by state. We elected Miller's wife in AK but she has said she would vote for Romney unless there were MORE 'shenanigans' which since it was AFTER RNC would have been hard to imagine. One in IA resigned because she felt she couldn't vote for Romney and the Chair there appointed another. (He's a Ron Paul supporter but I don't think he wants to make waves ) We have others. On the one hand, since it wouldn't impact the outcome, it is more likely, and it would be cool to see some votes for Ron, it was in the 1800s the last time there was more than ONE out of step vote like that. But on the other hand, I won't expect any until I see them.

Ron did have electors though.