PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] I'm sick of money corrupting legislation. What can we do about it?

Constitutional Paulicy
11-23-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm all for getting "money out of politics". But how? I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on this topic. Cenk's upcoming conference might be a good way for us Libertarian's to get our ideas out there amongst Blue Republicans. It's common ground that most of us can agree on. However, the approach is where many are going to disagree.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsTm8qaaGDI&feature=youtube_gdata

Acala
11-24-2012, 06:47 AM
The only way to get money out of politics is to take the power to bestow largess away from politicians. As long as government has the power to take people's property and freedom and bestow it upon other people, people will be willing to pay to buy political influence. The only solution is to strictly limit government power such that politicians have nothing to give in exchange for support.

presence
11-24-2012, 07:18 AM
The only way to get money out of politics is to take the power to bestow largess away from politicians. As long as government has the power to take people's property and freedom and bestow it upon other people, people will be willing to pay to buy political influence. The only solution is to strictly limit government power such that politicians have nothing to give in exchange for support.

That is "beginning with the end in mind" and I really can't knock it. It is the ideal and you really can't beat that in utopia... but how do we get there with a government already of, by, and for special interests? How do you break the crony campaign finance cycle?

http://livinginatlanta.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/sheen.jpg

FrankRep
11-24-2012, 07:52 AM
The only way to stop money for corrupting polices is to re-establish a Monarchy and abolish voting.

matt0611
11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey progressives, show me one democracy where money was not involved in politics, show me just one.

Kodaddy
11-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm really beginning to like this Sheen guy's ideas....

Matt Collins
11-24-2012, 10:03 AM
It's not possible. It's like asking "how do you get politics out of government"? Well everything the government does is inherently political. Politics is human nature. Money is part of human nature too. Money and politics are inseperable.

The best way you have to fight legislation that is being bought, is to do it with grassroots mobilization. The Campaign for Liberty teaches about this - http://training4liberty.org/facl2/info.htm

(http://training4liberty.org/facl2/info.htm)
and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QCzww6EG7E

Constitutional Paulicy
11-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Whenever I think of this topic, I always remember Jack Abramoff. Then I recall this movie. If you haven't seen it you should....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6UiFOr8uM

Odin
11-25-2012, 04:03 AM
You get money out of politics by getting politics out of power. As long as there is a power teat, there will be people to suck at it.

Democracy unfortunately puts power into politics. The idea of a constitution republic based on the principles of liberty is to get politics out of power. Unfortunately the only way now to reverse it is through democracy itself - electing the people who will restore the republic.

green73
11-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Money's always going to corrupt politics. Dump the state.

tangent4ronpaul
11-25-2012, 06:51 AM
The vid in the OP has some good starting points - stopping corporate donations to political campaigns and public funding of elections. It would take more than that, but what he's proposing is very dangerous.

A Constitutional Convention does not have to even bring up the reason it was convened, but it can re-write the entire Constitution.

He's saying if we were really a democracy, then we could get climate change legislation passed. What would happen to the economy if that happened? What special interests are pushing for this and who would benefit? Something seems to be missing here...

-t

whippoorwill
11-25-2012, 09:45 AM
End the Fed.
and
End the State.

LibForestPaul
11-25-2012, 09:53 AM
That is "beginning with the end in mind" and I really can't knock it. It is the ideal and you really can't beat that in utopia... but how do we get there with a government already of, by, and for special interests? How do you break the crony campaign finance cycle?

http://livinginatlanta.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/sheen.jpg

Education. This is Dr. Pauls message over and over. Unfortunately, the best education is pain. Americans will be feeling more of this in the upcoming years. The liberty message of voluntarism and non-agression prinicple must be honed and it must be kept fresh. When the people of the United States yearn for their pain to stop, the MSM will be shoving palliative treatments down their throats. We must find a way to make certain liberties bitter pill is desired instead.

Keith and stuff
11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm all for getting "money out of politics". But how?

Stop paying politicians. Don't allow politicians to take gifts of over $25. Stop giving politicians retirement benefits. Stop giving politicians offices and special insurance. Don't give politicians air conditioning. Stop giving politicians staff. Make politicians lose money by serving. Also, make there be a representative for every 3,000 people.

That's how the New Hampshire House works. Lobbyist have almost no control over the New Hampshire House.

Matt Collins
11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
You get money out of politics by getting politics out of power. As long as there is a power teat, there will be people to suck at it.

Democracy unfortunately puts power into politics. The idea of a constitution republic based on the principles of liberty is to get politics out of power. Unfortunately the only way now to reverse it is through democracy itself - electing the people who will restore the republic.No humans will always attempt to dominate and control other humans, power will exist. The question is will you have any power, or will other people have it?

Ideally the goal should be to gain power and this diffuse/distribute it in a way that makes it hard to consolidate. The Founders understood this which is why they pitted different interests against each other and tried to spread out the power as much as they could.

Matt Collins
11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Dump the state.Not possible any time soon, maybe not ever.

Matt Collins
11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
The vid in the OP has some good starting points - stopping corporate donations to political campaigns and public funding of elections.Corporations can't donate to campaigns now.

Stop paying politicians... Make politicians lose money by serving. Then only the rich could afford to hold office.

Don't allow politicians to take gifts of over $25. Rules like that always favor the establishment, the most connected, and the wealthy.

liberty2897
11-25-2012, 12:06 PM
How about making it unlawful for members of congress (and other public officials) to hold shares in any corporation? It is wrong to allow people with insider information the potential to manipulate the markets in their favor.

Matt Collins
11-25-2012, 01:46 PM
How about making it unlawful for members of congress (and other public officials) to hold shares in any corporation? It is wrong to allow people with insider information the potential to manipulate the markets in their favor.Typically they put everything into a "blind trust" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_trust

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2012, 02:11 PM
It's not possible. It's like asking "how do you get politics out of government"? Well everything the government does is inherently political. Politics is human nature. Money is part of human nature too. Money and politics are inseperable.

The best way you have to fight legislation that is being bought, is to do it with grassroots mobilization. The Campaign for Liberty teaches about this - http://training4liberty.org/facl2/info.htm
Not really. If free market currencies were allowed, the politicians couldn't manipulate it.

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Then only the rich could afford to hold office.

It's already that way. The average person is never going to have enough money to successfully campaign against the establishment candidates without lots of donations.

Keith and stuff
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Collins

Then only the rich could afford to hold office.

It's already that way. The average person is never going to have enough money to successfully campaign against the establishment candidates without lots of donations.

Not in New Hampshire. Working poor or retired poor are frequently elected to the New Hampshire House. I know a guy who cannot afford a computer. He is a NH Rep. I know a guy who is a part-time carpenter. He is a NH Rep. I know a guy who is in college. He is a NH Rep. By money, maybe you mean $2 because that is the filing fee. Plenty of people win by spending no more than $2.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Get politics out of money.

Matt Collins
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
The average person is never going to have enough money to successfully campaign against the establishment candidates without lots of donations.Exactly why the donation limit shouldn't be lowered.

heavenlyboy34
11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Not in New Hampshire. Working poor or retired poor are frequently elected to the New Hampshire House. I know a guy who cannot afford a computer. He is a NH Rep. I know a guy who is a part-time carpenter. He is a NH Rep. I know a guy who is in college. He is a NH Rep. By money, maybe you mean $2 because that is the filing fee. Plenty of people win by spending no more than $2.
Not too shabby. :cool: That's one reason why politics should be local, not national.