PDA

View Full Version : Detroit man accused of murder at 14 to get $1.1M

aGameOfThrones
11-23-2012, 07:25 PM
DETROIT (AP) — The city of Detroit has been ordered to pay $1.1 million to a young man who was rousted out of bed as a 14-year-old, charged with murder and held in a violent juvenile lockup for nearly two years before being acquitted of a fatal shooting in his neighborhood.

Caleb Sosa, now 19, claimed police violated his civil rights by coercing him to put his initials on a confession that he couldn't even read. The allegations in his lawsuit were never tested, however, because the case ended in an extraordinary way. A judge declared a default when city lawyers failed the most basic procedural step: They never filed a timely answer in court.

"The judge found that mistakes were made," acknowledged Krystal Crittendon, the head of Detroit's law department.

The lawyer who botched the case no longer works for Detroit.

"That's flat-out malpractice," said Deborah Gordon, an attorney who regularly sues local governments. "Municipalities should be sophisticated and responsible to deal with this stuff. Even if you're overwhelmed with work, you cannot allow a default. Get a calendar."

The lawsuit centered on how Detroit police arrested and interrogated Sosa after a sensational murder in 2007. A 13-year-old on the southwest side was fatally shot in the middle of the night, the unintended victim of a gang feud. Another person who was shot and survived identified Sosa as the masked gunman.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Sosa said he was asleep and wearing only pajama pants when an officer entered his bedroom to take him away for an interview. He was released but picked up again a month later.

"They're telling me, 'You killed somebody.' I kept telling them over and over again: I had nothing to do with it," Sosa said this week.

"I did not know how to read. I did not know how to write. As far as a confession, I had no idea what it was," he said. "Police told me to sign right here and you can go home. I didn't even know how to put my initials. I asked them to show me how to write a 'C' and a 'V' and an 'S.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-man-accused-murder-14-1-1m-174628859.html

VoluntaryAmerican
11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
:mad::confused::mad::confused::mad:

My thought process reading this.

phill4paul
11-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I posted this in the Police Abuse thread but guess I forgot to put it in a thread of it's own. +rep aGOT

BSU kid
11-24-2012, 01:24 AM
3 things:

1.) The city of Detroit is completely mismanaged and inept (years of rule by the machine, its a wonder people still vote for them) how do you let something like this slip by.

2.) You're 14 years old and you can't read or write...seriously? You don't even know your own initials? Total BS, even if you just immigrated from say Mexico, the language uses most of the same characters. You don't know what a "C", "V" or an "S" at the very least look like...give me a break. If he was born in this country and is illiterate, then that is even worse.

3.) 1.1 million taxpayer dollars for this is extreme, but maybe he can get an education with the money...