PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory HIV testing

amy31416
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been coming across quite a few of these articles lately and thought about posting it, but I hate starting threads. However, it was bugging me--so here it is.

(This is also for all our beloved (yes, I mean that) "conspiracy theorists" on the board--I ask you this: What better way to start building a genetic database? And with Obamacare right around the corner, it'll be justified as a means toward cost reduction, so the right wing will likely agree, and the left wing just love mandates!

Monica Sweeney of New York City's Department of Health says the most at risk of getting HIV have limited access to medical care and don't find out they are infected until they already have full blown AIDS.

"That means for eight to 10 years they have been giving out HIV, having behaviors that transmit it and many times without their knowledge," Sweeney said.

To combat that, the Centers for Disease Control recommends identifying new cases by systematically testing every patient who steps into an emergency room. But New York and nine other states are in direct conflict with those guidelines. They mandate what's known as "informed consent," which means health care professionals must explain the test and get the patient's signature, reports CBS News correspondent Priya David.

Saint Vincent Hospital's Dr. Antonio Urbina has been pushing for testing reform because he says informed consent has become a barrier to stopping the virus.

"Anything we can do to normalize testing will increase patients accepting HIV and increase our ability to diagnose it," Urbina said.

More at link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5245708.html

Final sentence of article:

A bill to eliminate written informed consent was recently introduced in the New York State legislature.

This is about NY, but many of the other articles I've read were about this being a federal mandate. Eliminating "informed consent," that really sounds very 1984-esque. Imagine where else this goes......

Dr.3D
11-22-2012, 05:03 PM
I've been coming across quite a few of these articles lately and thought about posting it, but I hate starting threads. However, it was bugging me--so here it is.

(This is also for all our beloved (yes, I mean that) "conspiracy theorists" on the board--I ask you this: What better way to start building a genetic database? And with Obamacare right around the corner, it'll be justified as a means toward cost reduction, so the right wing will likely agree, and the left wing just love mandates!

This is about NY, but many of the other articles I've read were about this being a federal mandate. Eliminating "informed consent," that really sounds very 1984-esque. Imagine where else this goes......

Don't they already not need informed consent to check your blood for narcotics? If that's the case, this seems like the logical next step they would take.

Tpoints
11-22-2012, 05:37 PM

abstinence education is gonna love this!

Nirvikalpa
11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Holy shit. As God as my witness, I swear if I ever get far in medicine I will never subjugate any patient in my care to any of this bullshit, and fight completely against it. This doctor needs his head examined...

My next point is, I have an absolute fear of genetic databases.

Tpoints
11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Holy shit. As God as my witness, I swear if I ever get far in medicine I will never subjugate any patient in my care to any of this bullshit, and fight completely against it. This doctor needs his head examined...

why? isn't information and knowledge power? or is ignorance as bliss better?

Dr.3D
11-22-2012, 06:30 PM
That depends on who is using the data.

tod evans
11-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Licensed as an EMT?

Give blood for the privilege?

Betcha a dollar your DNA is on file.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 06:45 PM

You fear it as in you fear it might become a possibility? If that is the case, you can "relax" because it is already being done.

amy31416
11-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Tod--her DNA may be on file, right alongside of her fingerprints, but wouldn't you rather she were your EMT/doctor and refused to file yours if you should need her services?

I would.

tod evans
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Tod--her DNA may be on file, right alongside of her fingerprints, but wouldn't you rather she were your EMT/doctor and refused to file yours if you should need her services?

I would.

Absolutely!

The first line fighting against "all this shit" is the men/women on the ground...

RockEnds
11-22-2012, 09:54 PM
When my youngest was born, I had to drive to get my medical records from the birth of my first son. I changed docs and hospitals late in my pregnancy, and there wasn't time to order them, and the surgeon needed to know which incision was used. My oldest was born in the mid-80s. Since I had my records, I read them. That's the first time I learned I had been given an HIV test.

I might have consented if they'd asked. They didn't. They didn't tell me I was tested, and they didn't tell me the results were negative. I wasn't really very happy about it.

Danke
11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
They have been sending newborns' blood to a central collection center for decades. I know that was a battle here in MN recently, to make it a requirement that the parents have to OPT IN.

http://www.infowars.com/supreme-court-blocks-government-plan-to-claim-ownership-of-dna/

Nirvikalpa
11-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Licensed as an EMT?

Give blood for the privilege?

Betcha a dollar your DNA is on file.

I willingly gave it knowing it probably so. If accepted to medical school, I would willingly get all the immunizations required to matriculate, even though I would probably advise my patients to not get many of those I am required to get.

You fear it as in you fear it might become a possibility? If that is the case, you can "relax" because it is already being done.

I know it is already being done. But storing and using the data are two different things. I have an absolute fear of genetic databases because I have nightmares about telling patients of mine that their genetics are not in their favor for having children - or something of the sort - because their genome points out to me that they have an above-averge risk of getting diabetes, cancer, having psychological problems, etc etc, and we can not allow those genes to continue on.

Eventually every medical ailment you have, or have a chance of having/developing, can and will be used against you.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Ecclesiastes 1:18

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I know it is already being done. But storing and using the data are two different things. I have an absolute fear of genetic databases because I have nightmares about telling patients of mine that their genetics are not in their favor for having children - or something of the sort - because their genome points out to me that they have an above-averge risk of getting diabetes, cancer, having psychological problems, etc etc, and we can not allow those genes to continue on.

Eventually every medical ailment you have, or have a chance of having/developing, can and will be used against you.

Count on it.

It's already starting.

+rep for acknowledging it and standing up to it.

Pauls' Revere
11-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Ever heard of HGP? THE HUMAN GENOME PROJECT

http://ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

Completed in 2003, the Human Genome Project (HGP) was a 13-year project coordinated by the U.S. Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health. During the early years of the HGP, the Wellcome Trust (U.K.) became a major partner; additional contributions came from Japan, France, Germany, China, and others. See our history page for more information.
Project goals were to

identify all the approximately 20,000-25,000 genes in human DNA,
determine the sequences of the 3 billion chemical base pairs that make up human DNA,
store this information in databases,
improve tools for data analysis,
transfer related technologies to the private sector, and
address the ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from the project.
Though the HGP is finished, analyses of the data will continue for many years. Follow this ongoing research on our Milestones page. An important feature of the HGP project was the federal government's long-standing dedication to the transfer of technology to the private sector. By licensing technologies to private companies and awarding grants for innovative research, the project catalyzed the multibillion-dollar U.S. biotechnology industry and fostered the development of new medical applications

idiom
11-23-2012, 12:12 AM
http://genomics.xprize.org/

The Archon Genomics X PRIZE presented by Express Scripts® is an incentivized prize competition that will award $10 million to the first team to rapidly, accurately and economically sequence 100 whole human genomes to a level of accuracy never before achieved.

The 100 human genomes to be sequenced in this competition will be donated by 100 centenarians (ages 100 or older) from all over the world, known as the 100 Over 100. Sequencing the genomes of the 100 Over 100 presents an unprecedented opportunity to identify those "rare genes" that protect against diseases, while giving researchers valuable clues to health and longevity. These centenarians’ genes are providing us with a window to the past that will significantly impact the future of healthcare.

The result will be the world's first "medical grade” genome, a critically-needed clinical standard that will transform genomic research into usable medical information to improve patient diagnosis and treatment. This global competition will inspire breakthrough genome sequencing innovations and technologies that will usher in a new era of personalized medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppWok6SX88

Pauls' Revere
11-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Express Scripts: common stock ESRX

devil21
11-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Preliminary HIV tests are notoriously inaccurate. Many false positive results reported since it only checks for a certain type of antibody that is produced by many illness reactions without HIV present. Common cold even.

amy31416
11-23-2012, 04:38 AM
They have been sending newborns' blood to a central collection center for decades. I know that was a battle here in MN recently, to make it a requirement that the parents have to OPT IN.

http://www.infowars.com/supreme-court-blocks-government-plan-to-claim-ownership-of-dna/

Yeah. They gave my daughter a Hep B vaccine without my consent, I actually probably could have sued for that--but with no damages, the return would have been a waste of time. The whole childbirth thing in a hospital is terrifying--I was told that I could not leave after an appointment because my ankles were swollen (they suspected pre-eclampsia, which I'd already researched and knew I didn't have). They put a tag on the baby, so I couldn't leave until they said so. After she was born, she was slightly jaundiced, they took a LOT of blood from her for testing and pushed a home nurse on me (they get you to sign shit when you're "out of it.") So this nurse shows up, takes a lot of her blood and she's screaming--it haunted me. So the next time she shows up (the jaundice was, of course, clearing up on it's own) and wants to do it again, I told her no.

My take away from that, and even from pediatrician visits, is that all the medical "professionals" that I dealt with that I said no to, whether it was blood tests or 'flu vaccines--they get PISSED. And then they start to grill you/pressure you and/or try to make you feel stupid for your decision, which will not be your decision for much longer.

As long as you go along with everything they want, it's a lovely experience, I'm sure.

LibForestPaul
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
I willingly gave it knowing it probably so. If accepted to medical school, I would willingly get all the immunizations required to matriculate, even though I would probably advise my patients to not get many of those I am required to get.

GATTICA

RockEnds
11-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Right now, the gov database isn't good for much of anything other than potentially identifying a suspect. They use codis. It's 13 or 15 STR markers, and it has no medical use. I got my DNA test on sale for $14.95 shipping and handling which was one heck of a good deal. I wouldn't give that for a codis test. For me, a private citizen wishing to test my own DNA for medical and genealogical use, codis is worthless. I received results for nearly a million SNPs. That's a whole different deal from a dozen or so STRs. STRs are still used for paternity testing also, but if someone wanted to really know, I would recommend the type of test I took. It doesn't just work to rule out or potentially identify a parent. It can identify half siblings, grandparents, first cousins once removed, and etc. Codis couldn't even think about doing that.

Brian4Liberty
11-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Somewhat related. Home tests, no danger of DNA database:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/06/health/another-use-for-home-hiv-test-screening-partners.html

Asked about the price of the test, he said market research indicated that most users would buy it once or twice a year, so $40 was “appropriate.”

The technology is similar to that in home pregnancy kits, which sell for as little as $4 each.

Tpoints
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
GATTICA

it's GATTACA , the whole point of the name is that its spelled with only ACTG