PDA

View Full Version : Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

aGameOfThrones
11-21-2012, 06:07 PM
http://col.stb01.s-msn.com/i/48/B8F148C9D966583C959D8CC883EA2D.jpg

A Facebook firestorm has erupted over a photo of a visitor "clowning around" near the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery - and now there's an online campaign to cost that visitor her job.

Lindsey Stone, a visitor from Cape Cod, was on a work trip to the Washington area last month when she and a co-worker visited Arlington, reports News4's Erika Gonzalez.

A sign at the Tomb of the Unknowns, among the most solemn places in the cemetery that calls itself "our Nation's most hallowed ground," asks for "Silence and Respect."

Stone's co-worker shot a photo of Stone next to that sign, her middle finger raised, and mugging as if she is shouting loudly.

Stone posted the photo to her Facebook page, and quickly received a flurry of furious reaction, reports Gonzalez.

Stone has since removed the photo, but it already had been shared widely. A "Fire Lindsey Stone" Facebook page was quickly created, and now has more than 12,000 likes.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/11/21/15334703-arlington-cemetery-pic-sparks-outrage-calls-for-womans-firing?lite

libertyfanatic
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
People should have more important things to worry about than what this dumb broad does.

jkr
11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
MIND
YOUR
OWN
BUISNESS
!!!

Origanalist
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, if the bitch was dumb enough to post it on facebook, what did she expect?

angelatc
11-21-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm torn. This angry-mob-rule thing is somewhat scary, but I'm also not entirely averse to a public shunning every now and then...

Origanalist
11-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm torn. This angry-mob-rule thing is somewhat scary, but I'm also not entirely averse to a public shunning every now and then...

She is the one that made it public.

Origanalist
11-21-2012, 07:10 PM
You can make a point about war without desecrating gravesites.

Anti Federalist
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Vomit up your whole life on FedBook they said...

It's fun they said...

What do you have to hide, you're not doing anything wrong, they said...

AGRP
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
An idiot mocking the sign. Nothing more or less.

Anti Federalist
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
You can make a point about war without desecrating gravesites.

Is that what she was doing?

Or was she just being an asshole?

If she was making a "point" about war, being a broad, from Cape Cod, I'd lay 100 to 1 odds she supports O-Bomb-ya.

So what point could you possibly be making?

Henry Rogue
She made her protest, now people are protesting her. So now someone may protest the fact that people are protesting her protest.

Jamesiv1
cut off her middle finger.

if she does it again - stone her and send her family to oklahoma.

Anti Federalist
An idiot mocking the sign. Nothing more or less.

That's what I'm figuring...

paulbot24
11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
She made her protest, now people are protesting her. So now someone may protest the fact that people are protesting her protest.

(Stands up on box)
"I protest the fact that people are protesting about her protest of.....ummmm, whatever she is protesting, which is ummm, never mind."
(Steps down from box)
(Exits stage left)

angelatc
11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
It appears that she was on a work-funded trip when she decided to make a debacle of herself. She posted a picture of herself smoking next to a no smoking sign the previous night.

However, she is employed by a non-profit agency. If they think this is going to cost them donations....she's a goner would be my guess.

Origanalist
11-21-2012, 08:14 PM
It appears that she was on a work-funded trip when she decided to make a debacle of herself. She posted a picture of herself smoking next to a no smoking sign the previous night.

However, she is employed by a non-profit agency. If they think this is going to cost them donations....she's a goner would be my guess.

So she is just a general dipshit, oh well. Lesson learned hopefully, people actually have relatives buried there and she might have guessed they wouldn't find it amusing.

jkob
11-22-2012, 12:31 AM
She's an idiot and I don't feel sorry for her.

Aeroneous
11-22-2012, 12:56 AM
and send her family to oklahoma.

That's got to fall under the cruel part of cruel and unusual...

AGRP
11-22-2012, 01:13 AM

If she was making a "point" about war, being a broad, from Cape Cod, I'd lay 100 to 1 odds she supports O-Bomb-ya.

Yeah. Attacking her for this only gives her credit for doing something she never intended. She took the picture down after people got upset which proves it. Shes literally a functioning idiot.

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 01:30 AM

Um, what? What the the hell does Obama have to do with anything?

So I got it wrong, it's not like people don't do this shit.

A Son of Liberty
11-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Scrolling thru my FB feed, I saw this pic posted, I'm now guessing by someone morally outraged who'd liked the "fire..." page. I didn't pay close attention, and didn't notice that the sign was from Arlington, only that it said "silence and respect", and I thought it was kind of funny. My guess is it was just meant to be an ironic, funny picture.

Now seeing that it was taken at Arlington, I can agree that it displays poor judgment on her behalf...

...but I am truly, deeply tired of these people who revere and worship the military, and especially those killed in action. Every war this country has fought since that cemetery was established has been a war of aggression, and not even meeting the standard of a just war. I WHOLLY AGREE that many of the people buried in that cemetery went off to war believing all the nonsense the government sold about whatever war it was they were fighting. But it is a government cemetery full of victims of the government's treachery.

People are outraged that she took this picture, yet the wars go merrily on. They're outraged that she would show such disrespect, yet barely a whisper of outrage over the wholesale slaughter of countless humans the world over as a consequence of the "policies" of the EVIL entity just across the river from there.

I swear I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone. EVERYTHING that is so obviously up is down to everyone around me, everything so obviously black is white to everyone else...

Feeding the Abscess
11-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Well, guess that's one more thing I can't do for 15 seconds of internet fame.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 05:41 AM
I swear I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone. EVERYTHING that is so obviously up is down to everyone around me, everything so obviously black is white to everyone else...

Don't worry yet. It's only when you start to see the green matrix code falling down around you everywhere....That's when you worry, slam a bunch of blue pills, and hope you go back to sleep.

loveshiscountry
11-22-2012, 07:44 AM
The same government that sent our people to their deaths over nothing to do with defending our borders asks for respect?
My Dads buried there. I thought it was funny, in a laughing at her way, that she did it. I thought it was funnier that she was dumb enough to post it on facebook.

But people want her fired over it? I hope it turns out she works for the VA.

acptulsa
11-22-2012, 07:54 AM
cut off her middle finger.

if she does it again - stone her and send her family to oklahoma.

Um, no thanks. Not in my back yard. You want them sent somewhere, let them move in next door to you.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Um, what? What the the hell does Obama have to do with anything?

So I got it wrong, it's not like people don't do this shit.

Relax brother, you read me wrong, or maybe I was unclear.

I should have wrote: "what point could she have possibly been making".

Wasn't a stab at you, I honestly didn't know at the time I read this, whether this women was, in fact, trying to make a legitimate point, or was, as it it now appears, just being an asshole.

Obviously, as it is very likely she is an Obama supporter, based on sex and location, if she was trying to make a legitimate anti war point, then she should have gone to White House and taken that picture.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-22-2012, 08:44 AM
She has been fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
She has been fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

Vomit up your whole life on FedBook they said...

It's fun they said...

What do you have to hide, you're not doing anything wrong, they said...

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Fired?...geeez....you'd think she Ozzy Osbourned that sign....time to lawyer up i'd guess.

Maybe she's an up and coming comedian....dunno..

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Fired?...geeez....you'd think she Ozzy Osbourned that sign....time to lawyer up i'd guess.

Maybe she's an up and coming comedian....dunno..

That's what stepping out of line in the slightest way will get you in a surveillance state.

Fired...or worse.

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Relax brother, you read me wrong, or maybe I was unclear.

I should have wrote: "what point could she have possibly been making".

Wasn't a stab at you, I honestly didn't know at the time I read this, whether this women was, in fact, trying to make a legitimate point, or was, as it it now appears, just being an asshole.

Obviously, as it is very likely she is an Obama supporter, based on sex and location, if she was trying to make a legitimate anti war point, then she should have gone to White House and taken that picture.

Both. :)

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Both. :)

Yah, that's what I get for posting after being up for 36 hours straight.

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Sucks she got fired. But I have a hard time understanding how she could be so unaware of the consequences of posting stuff on facebook.

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 10:26 AM
isn't the firing over this a violation of her 1st Amendment rights?.....was she on the 'clock'?...

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
isn't the firing over this a violation of her 1st Amendment rights?.....was she on the 'clock'?...

It's a private company, so I don't see how that applies.

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
It's a private company, so I don't see how that applies.

so she was on the clock?...off the clock, away from her work place, 1st Amendment rights apply in this case, unless i'm missing something....

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
so she was on the clock?...off the clock, away from her work place, 1st Amendment rights apply in this case, unless i'm missing something....

I'm assuming she wasn't at work, I'm not positive. But doesn't the first ammendment prevent government from abridging free speech? I don't think it gives it the power to prevent someone doing that in their business.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
so she was on the clock?...off the clock, away from her work place, 1st Amendment rights apply in this case, unless i'm missing something...

I like your optimism. You speak like the Constitution is still a relevant document. It's refreshing.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM

You have the right to say it, without being arrested.

But you can still be fired.

tod evans
11-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Could be her boss is a vet........

FindLiberty
11-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I hope most people have more important things to think about today. I'm thankful that I do.

Tod
11-22-2012, 01:09 PM
It is sad that people can get so worked up over something as dumb and minor as this, yet hardly raise an eyebrow when something like NDAA passes.

acptulsa
11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
It is sad that people can get so worked up over something as dumb and minor as this, yet hardly raise an eyebrow when something like NDAA passes.

This. Point the wrong finger at an inanimate sign and you're persecuted; wrap yourself in the flag and rip up the Constitution live on national television and you're one of the nation's finest citizens. Sad isn't the right word for it. Depressing works.

Meatwasp
11-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Dead soldiers mean nothing to you?

RonPaulIsGreat
11-22-2012, 01:18 PM
This is retarded, people are so evil, and I do mean if you think one should have their life destroyed over one stupid picture, then you are screwed in the head. Most people it seems have such pathetic lives, they just are waiting to pounce on someone that screws up once. Give me a break, seriously, if you've never said or did something stupid, or never will then have at it, but every single person has, I don't think the mob is anything to be looked upon for enlightened justice. Hrmm, women screws up takes a dumb pictures, yeah the appropriate response is obviously, let's destroy her life.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:25 PM

I honestly don't think the dead soldiers care about what she did.

I think many of them might have cared not to die, especially those that died fighting utterly useless wars and "conflicts".

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:26 PM
This is retarded, people are so evil, and I do mean if you think one should have their life destroyed over one stupid picture, then you are screwed in the head. Most people it seems have such pathetic lives, they just are waiting to pounce on someone that screws up once. Give me a break, seriously, if you've never said or did something stupid, or never will then have at it, but every single person has, I don't think the mob is anything to be looked upon for enlightened justice. Hrmm, women screws up takes a dumb pictures, yeah the appropriate response is obviously, let's destroy her life.

I agree with this.

But, painful lesson learned about exactly what kind of punitive surveillance society we live in now.

Bet she never spared it a minute's thought before her life was destroyed in the blink of eye.

Which is, of course, what a police/surveillance society does, randomly destroys people's lives in the blink of eye for the slightest of reasons.

And if history is any guide, usually with the full support of the mob behind it.

CaptainAmerica
11-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I didn't know that the dead gave a damn.

Meatwasp
11-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Yeah lets destroy her life like the soldiers did theirs. Your sick.

CaptainAmerica
11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
BTW,im going to photoshop mitt romney and obamas face on her face in that picture. No one gives a damn about the wars,, but they sure as hell care when a woman makes a statement about a government sign demanding "silence"

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Huh?

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:32 PM
BTW,im going to photoshop mitt romney and obamas face on her face in that picture. No one gives a damn about the wars,, but they sure as hell care when a woman makes a statement about a government sign demanding "silence"

There's a "Joan the Silencer" meme just waiting to happen.

Meatwasp
11-22-2012, 01:32 PM
The soldiers don't care but the ones that loved and raised them do. All you go piss on your folks grave when they die. They don't care

RonPaulIsGreat
11-22-2012, 01:33 PM

??????????

I don't think her life should be destroyed over a picture, are you thinking I do or something. My last line was mimicking the facebook mob mentality.

MelissaWV
11-22-2012, 01:34 PM
1. She isn't making some kind of deep philosophical statement.
2. She's on unpaid leave, which depending on her contract with her employer, is the right move while they investigate.
3. She posted something on facebook, and it's been hand-picked for outrage. Not real outrage, mind you, but the safe, controlled, "did you hear about..." outrage that our society has become accustomed to.
4. I personally think she's a moron, but maybe that's based on wondering how someone going to a graveyard has it in their mind to take cutesy "funny" photos of themselves at all.
5. Having thought about #4 a little longer, maybe some of the blame lies in making a graveyard a tourist attraction.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:34 PM
The soldiers don't care but the ones that loved and raised them do. All you go piss on your folks grave when they die. They don't care

Why would I do that, to anybody's grave?

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 01:36 PM
+rep for pointing out the "hand picked" false outrage.

And 5, yes, and making it a punitive and political tourist attraction.

Everybody here is aware of the how and why of Arlington cemetery, right?

2. She's on unpaid leave, which depending on her contract with her employer, is the right move while they investigate.
3. She posted something on facebook, and it's been hand-picked for outrage. Not real outrage, mind you, but the safe, controlled, "did you hear about..." outrage that our society has become accustomed to.
4. I personally think she's a moron, but maybe that's based on wondering how someone going to a graveyard has it in their mind to take cutesy "funny" photos of themselves at all.
5. Having thought about #4 a little longer, maybe some of the blame lies in making a graveyard a tourist attraction.

CaptainAmerica
11-22-2012, 01:38 PM

There is a difference between someone mocking a sign , and someone pissing on a grave. It seem everyone just wants to gang up and bully people that they see as an easy target for bullying. She made a mistake, so what....Im not going to judge her for it and if she did that at my grandparents grave fine with me they are not here anymore and holding some kind of worthless grudge towards another person while Im on this earth over someone who is long gone and never coming back to earth is just stupid. Besides, the group mentality is to beat her up about something completely stupid but you wont see people "outraged" over the actual bullshit wars taking place.

CaptainAmerica
11-22-2012, 01:41 PM

It might be a mistake,but its sure is better that people test society and push it to its limits constantly to make people think whether it was a good or bad thing to do is not what I care about but the fact that she did it and people reacted in an even dumber way.

Meatwasp
11-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I am in a bad mood. My grandson lost a lot of buddies that are burried there.
Time to go for my mountain walk. Happy Thanksgiving.

Origanalist
11-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Enjoy, this is not what this day is about.

Anti Federalist
11-22-2012, 02:13 PM

And I'm off to dinner.

I am sorry to hear about your grandson's comrades.

Enjoy your walk.

muzzled dogg
11-22-2012, 02:15 PM
This must kill the nationalists

idiom
11-22-2012, 02:31 PM
You guys know that your levels of solider worship are insanely high right?

Tpoints
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM

exactly!

Tpoints
11-22-2012, 03:49 PM

When she gets elected President, she'll be allowed to piss on it and nobody will care (and if they do, she won't care), but until then, everybody just remember that if you advertise your fun photos, some people will not take it nicely (and the government is not obligated to protect you).

Pericles
11-22-2012, 06:03 PM
That's what I'm figuring...

She may not be smart enough to be an idiot.

Tpoints
11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
She may not be smart enough to be an idiot.

what do we call those?

erowe1
11-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. She's making a joke. If it's not funny, you have the right not to laugh.

What are people trying to say that they suffered some kind of harm because of an arrangement of pixels on an computer screen?

Cabal
11-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Much ado about nothing.

MelissaWV
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. She's making a joke. If it's not funny, you have the right not to laugh.

What are people trying to say that they suffered some kind of harm because of an arrangement of pixels on an computer screen?

Not to include this picture, but are you saying there is not a single image I can pull up online that will cause you some harm?

I'm not going to try, but think about it, and be honest with yourself :p

A Son of Liberty
11-22-2012, 07:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, and I don't think anyone should behave dishonorably amongst the dead, soldiers or otherwise. They were all human beings, once.

But if I may offer this advice - direct your anger toward those who deserve it. Direct it at the people who put them there - the political class occupying several square miles just north of that place.

fisharmor
11-22-2012, 08:10 PM

If those soldiers didn't die specifically to protect that woman's right to take that picture, then they died for nothing.

When you get to the bottom of that line of reasoning, then the answer to your question is obvious.

erowe1
11-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Not to include this picture, but are you saying there is not a single image I can pull up online that will cause you some harm?

I'm not going to try, but think about it, and be honest with yourself :p

I see what you mean.

But still, not one that would cause me harm just by me seeing it.

seraphson
11-22-2012, 10:49 PM
People should have more important things to worry about than what this dumb broad does.

You mean like trying to get the faintest grip on reality about the hastily approaching currency crisis?

Cowboys are stinkin this year!