PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Pot with "AKT1 Gene" Linked to 7X Risk of Psychosis

presence
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
People who smoke pot may be at increased risk for psychosis if they have a certain genetic marker, a new study finds.

The results show people with this genetic marker who use cannabis are twice as likely to experience psychosis compared with those who use the drug but do not have the genetic marker.

Among people who use the drug every day, the risk for psychosis increases sevenfold for those who have the genetic marker.

Previous studies have linked smoking marijuana with an increased risk of psychiatric disorders (http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/2063-marijuana-thc-brain-psychosis.html), such as schizophrenia, but

- only a small number of those who smoke pot will ever have a psychotic episode. -

The new finding could help identify which cannabis users might be at risk for this side effect, the researchers said.

"Our findings help to explain why one cannabis user (http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/3120-cannabis-withdrawal-symptoms.html) develops psychosis while his friends continue smoking without problems,"

http://www.livescience.com/24873-marijuana-psychosis-pot-side-effects.html

rs2494732

Hat Tip RockEnds, abstract of study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22831980

AGRP
11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032795/Man-dies-water-overdose-drinking-17-pints-hours-soothe-sore-gums.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/15/usa

http://www.drugrehabwiki.com/wiki/Alcohol-induced_psychosis

RockEnds
11-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I saw that on another site. I don't have the mutation for psychosis.

fisharmor
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Is this a good psychosis or a bad psychosis?

NewRightLibertarian
11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
More 'reefer madness' type garbage to try and scare the sheeple into not using the miracle drug known as cannabis.

JK/SEA
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
paying taxes gives me psychosis, but i maintain my composure by smoking weed, and shooting tequila shots.

RockEnds
11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Is this a good psychosis or a bad psychosis?

I dunno.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22831980

awake
11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
The science is settled. You're a 'pot harms you' denier.

Create a study that reconfirms the war on drugs and maybe you get a government tenure - or keep it.

amonasro
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
More 'reefer madness' type garbage to try and scare the sheeple into not using the miracle drug known as cannabis.

This. Fortunately people are beginning to see through the lies and propaganda. At the very least, cannabis is a peaceful recreational drug that you cannot overdose on and causes you to fall asleep in front of the TV with a bag of Cheetos.

At best, concentrated cannabis extracts shrink tumors of all kinds and cure cancer. This is the real secret, I think.

RockEnds
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
They've located genes that cause adverse reactions with all sorts of things. Most of those things aren't banned. It's just science. I guess the findings could be used against marijuana, but if that logic is extended, warfarin should be pulled from the market as some people are sensitive. Choline esters should be pulled. I'm among those who cannot metabolize those. Oral contraceptives have some side effects linked to genes. It's a pretty long list, really. It would be a rather lame argument to try to ban something for everyone because some people might have a reaction.

AGRP
11-21-2012, 05:31 PM

This. Fortunately people are beginning to see through the lies and propaganda. At the very least, cannabis is a peaceful recreational drug that you cannot overdose on and causes you to fall asleep in front of the TV with a bag of Cheetos.

At best, concentrated cannabis extracts shrink tumors of all kinds and cure cancer. This is the real secret, I think.

This. Looks like the site is owned by Edward D. Brown of Bedford Communications, Inc.

AGRP
11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Odd timing wouldnt you say? Why didn't they publish findings about alcohol related deaths?

JK/SEA
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Odd timing wouldnt you say? Why didn't they publish findings about alcohol related deaths?

alcohol legal...weed illegal. At least thats what they'll tell ya. Makes perfect sense.....somewhere.

AGRP
11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
alcohol legal...weed illegal. At least thats what they'll tell ya. Makes perfect sense.....somewhere.

Ill drink to that:

http://itmakessenseblog.com/files/2012/09/Obama-Toasting.jpg

Ill smoke to that:

http://www.trippedmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/Obama-smoking.jpg

:)

presence
11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
total bullshit and propaganda..you should be ashamed of yourself

-rep though? that's tough. I didn't even take a political stance on the piece in the op; just presented for discussion. This is peer reviewed .gov.

MikeStanart
11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a friend who experiences these symptoms when smoking. He doesn't smoke anymore because of it.

Bruno
11-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Some people are more affected by some substances than others are? Possible and most of us have witnessed it.
Justification for more legislation or strengthening of current laws? No.
Helpful to know (if true) if you are going to use a substance? Yes.

AFPVet
11-21-2012, 08:56 PM
This study wasn't valid. They needed to study the effect of multiple strains with varying degrees of THC/CBD on a random sample of cannabis users. CBD keeps the THC in check. If you have a group use high THC and low CBD strains, you could have problems. This is why many new strains of medical cannabis have a better THC/CBD ratio.

Dr.3D
11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
The solution seems simple, just make sure you don't smoke any pot that has the "AKT1 Gene". Sounds like Monsanto has been at work again.

Tudo
11-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Hahahaha

pacelli
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I see this as a quite positive public announcement. They're basically dispelling the whole "reefer madness" = prohibition propaganda.

Leave it to science to spend millions of dollars to tell us what we already knew.

Dr.3D
11-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Hahahaha
Glad you know you didn't think I was being serious and can appreciate my sense of humor. I was just looking at the thread title and though about that.

Origanalist
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
-rep though? that's tough. I didn't even take a political stance on the piece in the op; just presented for discussion. This is peer reviewed .gov.

_ rep? For what, putting something up for discussion? Friggin thought police.

muzzled dogg
11-21-2012, 11:38 PM
i believe it

certain strains will bug u out

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 05:34 AM
"Previous studies have linked smoking marijuana with an increased risk of psychiatric disorders (http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/2063-marijuana-thc-brain-psychosis.html), such as schizophrenia"

I hope people are becoming wiser and realizing that there is no drug out there that causes schizophrenia. Does anybody really think that if there was any such chemical or drug out there, that the federal government wouldn't have it under lockdown by now? They would never justify a medicinal use for it. They were scrutinizing James Holmes' psychiatrist to see if "she should have seen this coming." They were on a witch hunt at Jared Laughner's school to find out if somebody should have told somebody about his "condition." Every time, schizophrenia is mentioned. The federal government is paranoid about paranoid schizophrenia. People are more likely to have a psychotic break from sampling their kids ADHD drugs while watching Fox News, and even that possibility is remote, except during the O'Reilly show. He will lower anybody's seizure threshold. Damn that guy is a pompous windbag.

carclinic
11-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Everyone ever notice that ex-druggies tend to have issues with extreme anger and inconsistent behavior?

It rots your brain, face it.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Everyone ever notice that ex-druggies tend to have issues with extreme anger and inconsistent behavior?

This is implying that said person quit. How would an ex-druggy with a rotted-out brain know to quit?

carclinic
11-22-2012, 06:52 AM
This is implying that said person quit. How would an ex-druggy with a rotted-out brain know to quit?
They get old and pot makes them too sleepy.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Mabye I'm too old or sleepy because your posts in this thread don't make any sense.

carclinic
11-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Must be the brain damage from weed and cocaine.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 07:14 AM

LOL. Nice cheap shot. Oh look at the time. Love to stay and chat with your trollness, but I've gotta get my welfare check cashed and swap some food stamps for MD 20/20.:D

specsaregood
11-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Our last two ex-druggie presidents have certainly confirmed that.

RockEnds
11-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Here is a link to the SNPedia entry showing several studies on this snp:

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs2494732

This link also explains the study:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-11-gene-cannabis-psychosis.html

And from that same site, here is a link to several other dna studies published this week. They have nothing to do with marijuana:

http://medicalxpress.com/genetics-news/

I guess maybe I'm desensitized to it because I had my dna tested, and I see these studies pop up all the time. The field of genetics is really expanding, and the studies are just that--studies. Most of them are far from conclusive including this one. Some doctors are rather hostile toward genetics. I think it's just because they have no clue what to make of things. I'm not sure. In some cases, the research is really promising.

From what I can gather, this snp is being studied because it may be linked to schizophrenia. Some studies confirm that. Others refute it.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 07:53 AM
It's not the "studies" I have a problem with. Hell, if it defies all that I thought I knew I welcome it. I do have a problem with research done with the aim of proving a particular effect. This "government-funded research" nearly always encourages more government and a bias which has an impact on further funding becomes obvious.

RockEnds
11-22-2012, 08:05 AM
It's not the "studies" I have a problem with. Hell, if it defies all that I thought I knew I welcome it. I do have a problem with research done with the aim of proving a particular effect. This "government-funded research" nearly always encourages more government and a bias which has an impact on further funding becomes obvious.

I think the biggest variable to remember with genetic testing is that it has the potential to be dangerous. Not just medically, either.

asurfaholic
11-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Pot rots your brain?

Jeez, how do I even function? As much weed as I've smoked, brain's gone, wish i could tell you how easy it is for a zombie with no brain to blend in and be successful. But i cant, I HAZ NO BRANES.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I think the biggest variable to remember with genetic testing is that it has the potential to be dangerous. Not just medically, either.

Absolutely. It's opening up Pandora's box. I have no interest in seeing humans added to the GMO list thank you very much.:D

carclinic
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
LOL. Nice cheap shot. Oh look at the time. Love to stay and chat with your trollness, but I've gotta get my welfare check cashed and swap some food stamps for MD 20/20.:D
LOL, doesn't EBT have a day off today?

carclinic
11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Our last two ex-druggie presidents have certainly confirmed that.
Last 3 presidents actually.

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM

hmmm...well, you would qualify for Social Security Disability. About 2 grand a month.

Where's my pipe and Tequila?......

carclinic
11-22-2012, 09:04 AM
hmmm...well, you would qualify for Social Security Disability. About 2 grand a month.

Where's my pipe and Tequila?......
I honestly think we should get rid of disability. If I make up I have voices in my head, I can go on SSI, because Schizophrenia is a disability. This society is done for.

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I honestly think we should get rid of disability. If I make up I have voices in my head, I can go on SSI, because Schizophrenia is a disability. This society is done for.

yeah, we need that money for more Aircraft Carriers.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 09:37 AM

F*CK YEAH!!! (Team America (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/))

RockEnds
11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Absolutely. It's opening up Pandora's box. I have no interest in seeing humans added to the GMO list thank you very much.:D

Right? I'm with ya.

Beyond that, in the future, when we use our standardized government health care to visit our assigned physician, he'll plug us into a machine, run our genetic sequence against his database, then give us our instant diagnosis. Maybe. If Big Brother decides we have a need to know.

Genetics is really promising in certain cancers, maybe Alzheimer's, hopefully Parkinson's, and etc. It's a fantastic field, and the benefits are tremendous. But there are also very real possibilities for some really dark political stuff resulting.

carclinic
11-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd just like to have none of that, pay down the debt, and mind our own business.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I remember reading a science-fiction book in high school about "geneering" and how the rich were genetically engineered to help them excel. I thought it was shady then and that was a couple decades ago. Now it is a horrifying reality. Hell I don't know whether I'm excited or horrified of the future when it comes modern technology and its capabilities. I think I used to be mostly excited by it until I got to know the State a little bit.

torchbearer
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
people who have genetics that have tendency for psychosis will end up self-medicating with cannabis.

paulbot24
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
people who have genetics that have tendency for psychosis will end up self-medicating with cannabis.

True. Then again, people who don't have genetics with a tendency for psychosis will often end up self-medicating with cannabis as well.:D

torchbearer
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
True. Then again, people who don't have genetics with a tendency for psychosis will often end up self-medicating with cannabis as well.:D

I was referring to a study that show some people who smoked pot had a psychosis. The research mentioned nothing about conditions prior to smoking.
Which left a big question mark...
Did cannabis cause the psychosis, or did people with a psychosis self-medicate.

AFPVet
11-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I was referring to a study that show some people who smoked pot had a psychosis. The research mentioned nothing about conditions prior to smoking.
Which left a big question mark...
Did cannabis cause the psychosis, or did people with a psychosis self-medicate.

It's hard to tell... as I mentioned earlier, cannabis lacking CBD can cause psychosis in some people. That's why it's hard to tell unless you have a large enough sample using balanced THC/CBD cannabis. Of course, it could be that many people who have psychosis tend to use cannabis more than others. Once again, it's difficult to know for sure.

JK/SEA
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd just like to have none of that, pay down the debt, and mind our own business.

do both at the same time?...ok...sounds like a compromise worth getting behind....meanwhile, back at the ranch.........

Brian4Liberty
11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
There is no need to link legalization and side effects. All drugs have side effects (especially prescription) and the effects vary depending upon the person. This is well known scientific fact.

NewRightLibertarian
11-22-2012, 11:49 AM
There is no need to link legalization and side effects. All drugs have side effects (especially prescription) and the effects vary depending upon the person. This is well known scientific fact.

Side effects of cannabis include happiness, inner peace, free thinking and good health.