PDA

View Full Version : Hempfest opens Seattle store and office

liberty2897
11-20-2012, 01:11 AM
I've decided on my new year resolution a bit early this year. I'm going to quit drinking alcohol (maybe quit smoking cigarettes), and make the switch to weed. Okay, so I might have started a little early. I feel alert, relaxed, mellow, I don't feel like drinking beer, I don't feel like eating too much, and I don't feel paranoid in the slightest... what happened? Not how I remembered it. I have a feeling 2013 is going to be a good year.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Hempfest-opens-Seattle-store-and-office-4051522.php

(more contained in the linked article)

... In 1987, McPeak formed the Seattle Peace Heathens Community Action Group, which ultimately grew to form the Hempfest organizing crew. The group organized a Gas Works Park peace vigil in 1990, protesting the Gulf War, and drug advocate Timothy Leary was among the visitors during the six months it lasted. The protesters sang, meditated and one day invited a speaker from a marijuana law-reform group.

That evolved into the Washington Hemp Expo in spring 1991, drawing about 500 people to Volunteer Park. Attendance quadrupled the following year when it took the name Hempfest, and jumped to 5,000 people in 1993 -- a year that featured blatant marijuana smoking in the "Bong-a-Thon," but didn't come with major repercussions from police.

About 60 people were cited for illegal marijuana use at the 1997 Hempfest, but none among the more than 300,000 who attended this year was cited for pot smoking, Seattle Police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said. Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn was among the many speakers at the 2011 Hempfest.

It was 1994 when Hempfest organizers noticed a change.

"I think everybody, including the city, including the neighbors, were overwhelmed at the sheer turnout that happened that year," McPeak said of the more than 15,000 people who attended. "We basically maxed out Gas Works Park in our first year there. And that's the year we really went, 'Wow, this thing's growing, people are really responding to this issue. Maybe this is the time for this issue to grow.'"

A month after the 2003 Hempfest, Seattle voters passed an initiative making the investigation, arrest and prosecution of marijuana offenses, when the drug was intended for adult personal use, the lowest law enforcement priority. Medical marijuana has been legal in Washington since 1998.

Earlier this month, after voters passed I-502, the initiative to make adult use of small amounts of marijuana legal, prosecutors in counties including King, Pierce and Spokane said they would drop low-level marijuana cases and not prosecute them in the future. Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes had already said he would not prosecute low-level marijuana cases.

When Hempfest began in 1991, "I think a lot of people didn't take it seriously," McPeak said Friday. "And now I think the federal government takes legalization very seriously."

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Hempfest is huge around here, all but one of our 5 kids have attended multiple times. I've never been, but I think I will go just to see how the liberty movement is doing there.

AGRP
11-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Hempfest may get a few more visitors next year.

liberty2897
11-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Hempfest is huge around here, all but one of our 5 kids have attended multiple times. I've never been, but I think I will go just to see how the liberty movement is doing there.

I'm on the other side of the cascades. I had no idea until I read this that 300,000 people attended. That is amazing! I'm betting more people at the next one too... I'm hoping it is just the start of something much bigger.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm on the other side of the cascades. I had no idea until I read this that 300,000 people attended. That is amazing! I'm betting more people at the next one too... I'm hoping it is just the start of something much bigger.

Ever make it to barter fair?

carclinic
11-20-2012, 05:29 AM
People need better things to do than celebrate smoking weed, drinking or other brain cell killing activities. Try something constructive.

tod evans
11-20-2012, 05:54 AM
People who are free to smoke weed are blessed. A celebration is in order!

I hope all of these people combine their brain power "constructively" to address "The War on Drugs" and the negative effects it has had on society in general.

Peace Piper
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
People need better things to do than celebrate smoking weed, drinking or other brain cell killing activities. Try something constructive.

It's kind of you to be concerned with how people spend their time.

There's no credible evidence that smoking Cannabis kills brain cells.

In fact, the US Government themselves say that one of the main ingredients in Cannabis (Cannabinoids) actually help the brain:

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
United States Patent 6,630,507
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia.

Try learning something new. Maybe then you'll ask yourself where the Federal Government got the authority to declare war on citizens who smoke substances you apparently know less than nothing about. Or why it took an amendment to prohibit alcohol.

"...The lynch pin in the War on Drugs is cannabis. Without the suppression and interdiction of this popular and widely used substance, there simply would not be enough "illegal drug use" going on to justify the huge amount of money and resources spent on "fighting drugs...'

squarepusher
11-20-2012, 05:58 AM
( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡° )( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡° )( ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡° )

Tudo
11-20-2012, 07:13 AM
It's kind of you to be concerned with how people spend their time.

There's no credible evidence that smoking Cannabis kills brain cells.

In fact, the US Government themselves say that one of the main ingredients in Cannabis (Cannabinoids) actually help the brain:

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
United States Patent 6,630,507
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia.

Try learning something new. Maybe then you'll ask yourself where the Federal Government got the authority to declare war on citizens who smoke substances you apparently know less than nothing about. Or why it took an amendment to prohibit alcohol.

"...The lynch pin in the War on Drugs is cannabis. Without the suppression and interdiction of this popular and widely used substance, there simply would not be enough "illegal drug use" going on to justify the huge amount of money and resources spent on "fighting drugs...'

Excellent reply.

specsaregood
11-20-2012, 07:29 AM

The thing is; quite a few people do constructive stuff while intaking marijuana.

Chester Copperpot
11-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Is that near to Bartertown??

http://watchplayread.com/files/2009/01/bartertown-300x196.jpg

http://watchplayread.com/the-travel-agent-bartertown/

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 08:20 AM

my son goes. Always has a great time.

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM

true enough. One idea would be to go and (GREET) the dead soldiers as they come back from Afganistan.

asurfaholic
11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
true enough. One idea would be to go and grate the dead soldiers as they come back from Afganistan.

Ftfy?

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/images/KitchenEquipment/Grater.jpg

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
//

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Ftfy?

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/images/KitchenEquipment/Grater.jpg

oops...too early for me i guess....should be GREET....SORRY.... ...still an idea....FUR U.

liberty2897
11-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Personally, when I read about a crowd of 300,000 getting together in public to change broken laws in a peaceful manner and then actually succeed despite opposition from federal government , I see that as a very constructive activity. What I meant by "I hope this turns into something much bigger", was probably more along the lines of what you are thinking...

A large portion of people that you are calling ineffective are exactly the kind of people we need more of.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:17 AM
oops...too early for me i guess....should be GREET....SORRY.... ...still an idea....FUR U.

Have a toke, you'll feel better.......

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
my son goes. Always has a great time.

I've been a couple of times, lots of fun.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Why don't you try something more constructive than bitching at people who are defying out of control government?

liberty2897
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Not yet. I'll check it out. Thanks!

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
I've been a couple of times, lots of fun.

we make pickled beans every year, and he takes a few jars and does a little trading. I've never been. I would need a motor home for these old bones if i did...lol...

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Is that near to Bartertown??

http://watchplayread.com/files/2009/01/bartertown-300x196.jpg

http://watchplayread.com/the-travel-agent-bartertown/

Na, Bartertown is in Australia. :p But it can get pretty wild at barter fair too! (but nobody has to ride into the desert on a donkey)

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
we make pickled beans every year, and he takes a few jars and does a little trading. I've never been. I would need a motor home for these old bones if i did...lol...

I hear ya, it can get mighty cold over there

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Somebody should have told those colonist's about killing off all those brain cells, maybe they never would have written that crazy Declaration of Independence.

KMX
11-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Texas needs this bad.

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 09:44 AM
I hear ya, it can get mighty cold over there

my son told me because of the drought, there was a burn ban. Put a damper on things as they like to have BIG bonfires while the bands play at night.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
my son told me because of the drought, there was a burn ban. Put a damper on things as they like to have BIG bonfires while the bands play at night.

Thats a shame, the bonfires are pretty cool. I wish we could sent some of this monsoon their way.

AGRP
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Oh. This is very constructive. As soon as society views victimless activities as not worthy of being kidnapped and thrown in a cage, then the money thats being wasted can be spent on constructive things. Like solving crimes that includes victims.

QuickZ06
11-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Like coming in a thread and telling people to do something constructive?

jkr
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Somebody should have told those colonist's about killing off all those brain cells, maybe they never would have written that crazy Declaration of Independence.

GAME.
SET.
MATCH.

TRUTH
+1776

dannno
11-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Cannabis doesn't kill brain cells, it grows them.

dannno
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
300,000 is insane!!

Let me put it this way: A few years ago a few of my friends and I drove over 20 hours up to Seattle in a big giant comfy van, passing the bong around the van the entire trip.. The plan was to go visit our friend in Seattle for a few days, go to a hip hop show and go to Hempfest. The line was soooo long for hempfest we didn't even go. It was like a half mile long, 10 people wide and not really moving.

Here is a picture:

http://throwbacksnw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/seattle-2.jpg

Needs. A bigger. Venue.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
300,000 is insane!!

Let me put it this way: A few years ago a few of my friends and I drove over 20 hours up to Seattle in a big giant comfy van, passing the bong around the van the entire trip.. The plan was to go visit our friend in Seattle for a few days, go to a hip hop show and go to Hempfest. The line was soooo long for hempfest we didn't even go. It was like a half mile long, 10 people wide and not really moving.

Here is a picture:

Needs. A bigger. Venue.

300,000 in a city of 500,000, I can see how that might be a problem.

dannno
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Could it have been a typo?? 30,000 seems more reasonable?

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Gotta be, that number is way too high. No pun intended.

AGRP
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM

pic of 75k

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/05/obamaHUGE2.jpg

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
pic of 75k

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/05/obamaHUGE2.jpg

Ugh, that's way too big and condensed of a crowd for me.

dannno
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Marijuana is popular.

Origanalist
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Marijuana is popular.

I see what you did there.

AGRP
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is a picture:

Needs. A bigger. Venue.

Theyre going to have a serious problem next year unless they have a plan to shut down half of the Seattle.

Jamesiv1
11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Imagine college kids that can't get a job in their field of study, too righteous to flip burgers, laying around on the couch at Mom and Dad's house eating cheetos, playing xbox and doing bong-hits with his pals.

You think it's bad now, just wait....

dannno
11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Imagine college kids that can't get a job in their field of study, too righteous to flip burgers, laying around on the couch at Mom and Dad's house eating cheetos, playing xbox and doing bong-hits with his pals.

Better than dad using his engineering degree to make bombs and watch Fox News.

AGRP
11-20-2012, 01:19 PM

So bad, the Bible endorses it and warns us about people like you :rolleyes:

http://www.holyhemp.org/

JK/SEA
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
that 300,000 number was most likely the total for the days it was going on, but yeah...go early. Don't sleep till noon thinking you'll have it easy getting in. Parking can be a challenge too if you don't know your way around. You have time to plan ahead accordingly. Having friends who have a place (home, apartment etc) is your best bet unless you can afford a motel/hotel, and wear some good walking shoes. Water is handed out free...usually. Its a must go...at least once.

surf
11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Could it have been a typo?? 30,000 seems more reasonable?if this has been answered already, i appologize, but the 300,000 figure is over 3 or 4 days.

libertarians always have a booth there and i think RP may not have been represented at one due to the timing.

i've been once - a bit too crowded for me and not the best location.

edit - what JK/EA said