PDA

View Full Version : FEMA corps and Sandy

foxtrotterz
11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
So, a close friend of mine applied for Americorps after finishing his undergrad last year and wanted to do something "different" and "help others" before going on to medical school. He was sent a letter that the position he was wanting to take on with Americorps was filled, but they wanted him to consider a new program called FEMA corps. I suspect this is how almost all these young ambitious volunteers got suckered into this. I know there have been articles posted about the "brown shirts" and so on, but as far as I can tell, these are kids 18-24(I think), that wanted to do some volunteering for a year and were naive enough to think that doing so via the .gov was a good thing. There has been no gun training or explanation of the 450 million rounds etc. I have continued to warn this friend about how some people don't want help during a time of crisis and how he needs to follow his gut if he feels he is in danger.

After trying to educate him about why this isn't a good thing to be involved in, it seems as though many of the youth are starting to see clearly. He was excited to go to the NJ area to try and help with the Sandy disaster. Well, most of these kids have found that the definition of help means that groups of 11 team members, health able bodied 18-24 year olds, are kept in a gym waiting for people to come register for federal assistance. He got the chance to clean up debris for one day and said it was an incredible experience and that is why he joined. Granted, I don't agree at all with being forced with violence to fund a group to clean up reed grass from peoples yards, this is why so many of these kids chose to volunteer. Well apparently the kids are starting to leave the program in droves. Some kids have chosen to pack and leave already, others are planning to leave this weekend and even others are planning to stick it out until Christmas, but will pack their bags to go home for good when boarding their flight.

It is sad some of these kids wasted any of their lives with such a immoral organization, but at least it sounds like they are getting it.

Anyone else have any inside knowledge of the program?

Zippyjuan
11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Alex Jones tried to compare them to "Hitler's Brownshirt Youths". I don't take Jones that seriously. Everything is somehow evil to him. If you think volunteering to help others is bad, stay away. If you feel that FEMA is "immoral" (what makes them "immoral"?) there are other organizations you can volunteer with such as the Red Cross. FEMA Corps is a part of AmeriCorps. http://www.americorps.gov/

Their official link: http://www.fema.gov/fema-corps

Info:

The FEMA Corps is a collaborative effort of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) intended to enhance FEMA's disaster response and recovery capacity while expanding career opportunities for young people.

Also See: How to Apply for for FEMA Federal Disaster Assistance

While under the direction of FEMA, the FEMA Corps is a unit of the existing AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) and is open to young adults ages 18 to 24.

After taking the AmeriCorps pledge to "get things done for America," FEMA Corps members are committed to providing a minimum ten months of full-time service on disaster response and recovery projects. During their service, corps members may find themselves working hands-on helping disaster survivors in the field or sharing disaster response and information with the public from mobile FEMA disaster recovery centers.

FEMA Corps members will receive a $5,550 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for tuition or pay student loans after completing 1,700 hours of service. In addition, says FEMA, their training and experience will give former FEMA Corps a leg up to employment in the rapidly growing emergency management profession.

"I commend you for answering the call to serve and making a difference for people and communities in need," CNCS CEO Wendy Spencer told the first FEMA Corps inductees. "As the nation's very first FEMA Corps members, you are helping write a new chapter in the history of national service. With your training, backed by your team, and inspired by your passion, you will bring much-needed hope and assistance to disasters survivors. As you help others, this year will help you - giving you skills, expanding your opportunities, and setting you on a lifelong path of service to others."

When fully operational in 2013, the 1,600 members of the FEMA Corps will be based out of five AmeriCorps NCCC campuses across the country: Sacramento, Calif; Denver, Colo; Vinton, Iowa; Perry Point, Md; and, Vicksburg, Miss.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2012/10/27/new-fema-corps-ready-to-help-with-superstorm.htm

foxtrotterz
11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I was never convinced they were Hitler's youth or brown shirts, sorry if I mislead you. I do think it is immoral to force millions of people to be forced to work without pay(taxes) to fund such an organization. I have no problem with someone volunteering with a private organization that is funded through donations or services it offers. I do a lot of volunteering with such an organization as this. I have a serious problem with forcing my neighbor to jail time, fines or death for choosing not to fund such a poorly organized (or any) organization.

Zippyjuan
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Nobody is being forced to join.

donnay
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Nobody is being forced to join.

But we are being forced to fund them.