PDA

View Full Version : Rubio says DeMint is his best friend

tsai3904
11-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Tea Party favorite Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) is his best friend in Congress.

In a wide-ranging interview with GQ magazine published on Monday, Rubio said that, after his wife, DeMint is his closest friend.

"He's a great source of wisdom as a person who's had to make decisions that have made him unpopular in his own party," Rubio said of DeMint, who gave him a critical endorsement during his 2010 Senate run.

He also mentioned former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) as someone he admires.

"Jeb Bush is another guy I admire for his ability to analyze issues and call them for what they are."

The high-profile interview with GQ is sure to fuel talk that Rubio is positioning himself for a presidential run in 2016. Many expect him to take a lead role as Republicans try to work toward a deal on immigration reform and win back Latino voters who went overwhelmingly for President Obama in the election.

More:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/268673-besides-his-wife-rubio-says-demint-is-his-best-friend

itshappening
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
No surprise there. DeMint votes for war, spending and against civil liberties despite professing to be conservative.

Dick Chaney
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
If DeMint is such a bad guy, why are there so many people on this forum that like him

Matt Collins
11-19-2012, 10:59 AM
DeMint is a socialcon and is starting to shake his neocon ways a bit. He is coming more our direction, more of a Pat Buchanan old-right paleocon than a liberty guy.

compromise
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
What exactly did Rubio say that's untrue?

"He's a great source of wisdom as a person who's had to make decisions that have made him unpopular in his own party."
100% true. Like opposing the Libya intervention and foreign aid, which made him unpopular with Rubio, McCain and Graham.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100153539/neoconservative-marco-rubio-wants-to-rule-the-world/

itshappening
11-19-2012, 11:33 AM
He still voted for costly interventionism in Iraq, his fiscal talk is good which is why some like him but when push comes to shove he knows he's in the minority.

I dont know how anyone here can admire him much other than he's one of the least bad senators, which are almost always universally bad

tsai3904
11-19-2012, 11:55 AM
He still voted for costly interventionism in Iraq

You'd be surprised how many on these forums used to be Bush supporters and supported the war in Iraq. People can change and while DeMint is not fully on our side, he's moving in that direction. There's no need to make him an enemy when there are many other Senators deserving of that title.

ctiger2
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
If DeMint is such a bad guy, why are there so many people on this forum that like him

They probably, mistakenly, believe what comes out of his mouth.

itshappening
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
You'd be surprised how many on these forums used to be Bush supporters and supported the war in Iraq. People can change and while DeMint is not fully on our side, he's moving in that direction. There's no need to make him an enemy when there are many other Senators deserving of that title.

people here aren't legislators, he's voted time and time again for many years to keep the iraq war going which costs hundreds of billions of dollars he claims he wants to save from the budget so he's a big hypocrite. No wonder Rubio likes him!

GunnyFreedom
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM

Voting No on NDAA was a good start. Rubio, on the other hand, voted for the thing.

No way DeMint is one of us, not by a long way, but over the last 4 years he has been walking (albeit slowly) in our direction. I started being quite surprise to see him randomly and occasionally pop up on the correct side of the roll call on an important bill, but I'm not surprised anymore. I wish he would come our way a lot faster than he is, but I was also taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth, and take his no votes on stuff like NDAA when I can get them. He's even softening significantly on foreign interventionism, which in SC is a big, big deal.

GunnyFreedom
11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
people here aren't legislators, he's voted time and time again for many years to keep the iraq war going which costs hundreds of billions of dollars he claims he wants to save from the budget so he's a big hypocrite. No wonder Rubio likes him!

Some people here are legislators, and pay attention to records. Delta (change) is important. Look at Walter Jones (R-NC), went from foaming at the mouth neocon to one of Ron Paul's closest allies and an RLC endorsee. Of course DeMint has a long long way to go, but the point is that he's going. If Ron Paul is a 10, Amash, Rand and co a 9, Walter Jones an 8, and the rest of the establishment in the 2's and 3's, the Demint is at 4 going on 5, and climbing. We should be encouraging that growth. My experience is there are more people than folks realize who think somewhat like we do, but are scared silly to stand up and vote against the establishment. These are the people who will 'become' brave as we expand our foothold. With more incoming allies, and if his current trajectory holds, I expect DeMint to be a 5 going on 6 by year end (ETA-2013), and maybe even a 7 by the end of 2014 beginning of 2015. However, I do not expect him to climb any higher than a 7 at this point...but I always hold out hope that he will surprise me.

GunnyFreedom
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
They probably, mistakenly, believe what comes out of his mouth.

Or pay attention to his Congressional record and can see significant movement in our direction over the last decade. But whatever. :)

AuH20
11-19-2012, 12:51 PM
DeMint committed one or two bad votes, but on the other hand, he has two fantastic votes on his resume, which were TARP and Medicare Part D. The Medicare Part D vote was easily the most courageous because nearly the entire Republican party was behind that fraudulent bill written by the pharmaceutical industry. 16.1 trillion dollars in unfunded liability making every other government expenditure appear to be chickenfeed.

Brian4Liberty
11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
What, Rubio didn't mention his buddies Graham, McCain and Lieberman? He did say "in Congress". Outside of Congress, is Bill Kristol his BFF?

specsaregood
11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
What, Rubio didn't mention his buddies Graham, McCain and Lieberman? He did say "in Congress". Outside of Congress, is Bill Kristol his BFF?

That is an excellent point. It speaks to me what his internal polling is showing; that he is weaker with voters that like Demint than he wants to be.

Odin
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Voting No on NDAA was a good start. Rubio, on the other hand, voted for the thing.

No way DeMint is one of us, not by a long way, but over the last 4 years he has been walking (albeit slowly) in our direction. I started being quite surprise to see him randomly and occasionally pop up on the correct side of the roll call on an important bill, but I'm not surprised anymore. I wish he would come our way a lot faster than he is, but I was also taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth, and take his no votes on stuff like NDAA when I can get them. He's even softening significantly on foreign interventionism, which in SC is a big, big deal.

The question is, will he support our candidate in the primary, or Lindsay Graham, or stay out of it? I'm guessing the latter but if he supports Tom Davis who it looks like will be running then that would be respectable.

The sad truth is that there are only about 8 somewhat fiscally conservative senators in the senate, hopefully 10 or so now with the addition of Cruz and Flake. Rubio and DeMint are among the best in that regard, though it seems like DeMint has moved our way on foreign policy and Rubio has not.

Brian4Liberty
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
That is an excellent point. It speaks to me what his internal polling is showing; that he is weaker with voters that like Demint than he wants to be.

There's no doubt that this article represents (faux) campaigning to the "Tea Party" and fiscal conservatives, nothing more. The neo-conservatives are already behind him 110%.

tsai3904
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Actually, he didn't say "in Congress". That was inserted by the journalist who wrote the article.

This was the question:

GQ: Who's your best friend?
Marco Rubio: My wife. We talk every day.

GQ: Besides your wife.
Marco Rubio: [South Carolina Senator and Tea Party favorite] Jim DeMint. He's a great source of wisdom as a person who's had to make decisions that have made him unpopular in his own party. Jeb Bush is another guy I admire for his ability to analyze issues and call them for what they are.

Odin
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
DeMint committed one or two bad votes, but on the other hand, he has two fantastic votes on his resume, which were TARP and Medicare Part D. The Medicare Part D vote was easily the most courageous because nearly the entire Republican party was behind that fraudulent bill written by the pharmaceutical industry. 16.1 trillion dollars in unfunded liability making every other government expenditure appear to be chickenfeed.

I'm pretty sure Demint wasn't there for the Medicare Part D vote. The most telling recent vote imo is the Import-Export bank corporate welfare vote. 20 senators voted against it - 19 Republicans and Bernie Sanders, but 27 Republicans and all the Democrats voted for it.

tsai3904
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Demint wasn't there for the Medicare Part D vote.

DeMint was in the House and voted no.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll669.xml

emazur
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM

He welcomes libertarians into the GOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8orjjOIZldk&feature=plcp

Is open to shutting down some military bases (and acknowledges the Military Industrial Complex)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUPqz905mo&feature=plcp

And was a vocal supporter of audit the Fed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8LN-HIiJ4&feature=plcp

devil21
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Looks like the media is in full "Push Rubio" mode lately. I guess the elites have already decided they want him in 2016. There's a front page Yahoo "article" about his favorite rap music artists. That's not pandering to the younger black vote at all. Rubio is so cool! And he likes Tea Party stuff too! What a guy!

We need to tear his ass down sooner rather than later.

(Why did this thread turn into a discussion about DeMint? It's clearly Rubio push propaganda)

itshappening
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
There's no doubt that this article represents (faux) campaigning to the "Tea Party" and fiscal conservatives, nothing more. The neo-conservatives are already behind him 110%.

As usual Brian, great analysis.

The most telling thing is Rubio was made Speaker of the House in Florida within just a few years. They would never give that to a young representative unless he is completely owned.

devil21
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2010/11/guess-whos-meeting-marco-rubio-in-israel.html

Guess who's meeting Marco Rubio in Israel?

Newly elected Sen. Marco Rubio and his wife, Jeanette, are meeting billionaire businessman/Jewish community leader/political pot-stirrer Norman Braman, his wife and her sister in Israel next week.

Braman was an early Rubio supporter and said they have talked about going to Israel together for years. He stressed that Rubio was paying his own way. It will be his first trip to Israel.

"I was hopeful that it would come about win or lose,'' Braman said. "Marco and Jeanette are religious people."

Braman is in the middle of a ferocious campaign to recall MIami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez, who, you may recall, endorsed Rubio's ex-rival Charlie Crist in the Senate race. Rubio's name was even bandied about in 2008 as a potential Alvarez challenger. Braman paid for a poll that showed Rubio and Alvarez in a tie.

The Rubio camp was mum on what it called a "private and personal visit to the Holy Land next week. There will be no official meetings or media interviews, and specific details of the trip will be kept private. Senator-elect Rubio is also working with pro-Israel supporters to make an official trip back to Israel early next year after he is sworn into office."

Yep, owned. Im sure he's already gotten friendly with Sheldon Adelson and the rest since then.

itshappening
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Adelson bankrolled Gingrich's campaign, he loves an Israel-firster

compromise
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
The question is, will he support our candidate in the primary, or Lindsay Graham, or stay out of it? I'm guessing the latter but if he supports Tom Davis who it looks like will be running then that would be respectable.

The sad truth is that there are only about 8 somewhat fiscally conservative senators in the senate, hopefully 10 or so now with the addition of Cruz and Flake. Rubio and DeMint are among the best in that regard, though it seems like DeMint has moved our way on foreign policy and Rubio has not.

There is a big difference between DeMint, Lee, Flake, Cruz, Moran, Coburn and the rest of those guys and Rubio. They are at least somewhat skeptical of war. Rubio agrees totally with John McCain and Lindsey Graham on foreign policy.

Odin
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
DeMint was in the House and voted no.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll669.xml

Oh I see I was looking at the senate in 2003.

Odin
11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
There is a big difference between DeMint, Lee, Flake, Cruz, Moran, Coburn and the rest of those guys and Rubio. They are at least somewhat skeptical of war. Rubio agrees totally with John McCain and Lindsey Graham on foreign policy.

Yeah it seems you're right, just reading a foreign policy speech he gave right now it seems he is a big time interventionist.

That's too bad because he seems to be quite good on other fiscal issues.

itshappening
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Rubio is a full on Neocon. Remember Ron Paul's Neconned speech. Neocons support welfare and warfare. They also endorse lying as a political tool and believe it is necessary to further the State hence Rubio's talk on fiscal issues is just a standard Neocon lie.

Rubio's staff is full of people who supported Bush, Cheney and Romney. Karl Rove wanted him to be Romney;s VP pick.

Shane Harris
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/sen-rand-paul-blocks-marco-rubio-s-efforts-to-start-war-with-russia

Sen. Rand Paul blocks Marco Rubio's efforts to start war with Russia

"While our nation was struggling to make a living and pay its bills, the establishment's darling Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) was trying to get through a unanimous voice vote to allow Georgia into NATO. Under the rules of the Senate, it only takes one Senator to object in order for the effort to fail. That one voice, once again, was our latest hero, Senator Rand Paul (R-KY).

On the heels of tempers flying across the world between Russia and the US regarding the refusal by the US to remove missile defense shields which have been increasingly being put in place in order to completely surround Russia, the President of Russia had recently threatened to fully withdraw from the START treaty for arms reduction if the shields were not removed. Now, Senator Marco Rubio tried to wisk through on only a voice vote the authority to allow Georgia to officially join NATO which would mean that Russia would be almost entirely surrounded by NATO forces and would certainly consider that an act of war and breach of international agreements.

Because Sen. Rand Paul single-handedly blocked this effort, the matter would have to go through more appropriate channels such as committee hearings, debates and a full senate vote before this action could possibly be accomplished.

As readers will recall, it was also Senator Paul that recently led an effort to try to gut the dangerous provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act that would allow US citizens inside our country to be targeted and killed by the executive branch without any due process and would enable our own military to arrest and detain indefinitely any citizen that is even accused of thinking about aligning themself with various terrorist groups or any undefined "affiliated" groups. This bill would also allow drone attacks on its own citizens "suspected" of any above activities within the United States.

For frustrated Americans that believe that one good American in Congress could not possibly make a difference, we all can now have hope that one person in our Senate is aggressively taking his job seriously and doing what he can to protect all of us from a Washington, DC that has been completely out of control for perhaps decades.

Thank you Senator Rand Paul for at least temporarily trying to fend off a WWIII scenario."

anaconda
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
DeMint is a socialcon and is starting to shake his neocon ways a bit. He is coming more our direction, more of a Pat Buchanan old-right paleocon than a liberty guy.

Buchanan has always been hugely non-interventionist. Big difference.

Confederate
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Buchanan has always been hugely non-interventionist. Big difference.

I like Buchanan. Probably even more than I like Ron Paul.

supermario21
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I like Buchanan. Probably even more than I like Ron Paul.

A paleocon/Ron Paul libertarian alliance would definitely be a great one. I'd argue that with Paul's stances on many social issues that the two brands aren't drastically different. The sad thing is that I fear it would be a PR disaster, as the MSM would be quick to label us racists...

Confederate
11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
A paleocon/Ron Paul libertarian alliance would definitely be a great one. I'd argue that with Paul's stances on many social issues that the two brands aren't drastically different. The sad thing is that I fear it would be a PR disaster, as the MSM would be quick to label us racists...

Ron's newsletter were targeted at the paleoconservative demographic.

I'm a paleoconservative and I support Ron Paul because his federal political views line up pretty damn close with paleoconservative views. I'm petty sure we'd disagree on state issues, but since he's not run for state office, that issue has no come up.

July
11-19-2012, 06:27 PM

The American Conservative magazine is targeted at just such a demographic...

Brian4Liberty
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Looks like the media is in full "Push Rubio" mode lately. I guess the elites have already decided they want him in 2016. There's a front page Yahoo "article" about his favorite rap music artists. That's not pandering to the younger black vote at all. Rubio is so cool! And he likes Tea Party stuff too! What a guy!

Lol. I saw that. The left and right media are going to be pushing him for the next 4 years. "Rubio likes rap music" is a headline? :rolleyes: