PDA

View Full Version : LAX Service Workers Union up in arms..

tod evans
11-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Is there something awry out there on the left coast where unions are concerned?

"Affordable Health Care" and "Living Wage Ordinance" in the same sentence...:eek:

Thousands Of LAX Workers Set For Walkout On Thanksgiving Eve

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/16/thousands-of-lax-workers-set-for-walkout-on-thanksgiving-eve/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Employees at Los Angeles International Airport were considering plans Friday to walk off the job ahead on what is traditionally the busiest traveling day of the year.

A coalition of Southland labor and community leaders are calling for the protest of alleged violations by LAX contractor Aviation Safeguards (AVSG) after breaking their contract with the airport earlier this year.

Andrew Gross-Gaitan, the director of the Southern California Airports Division of SEIU, told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO that AVSG left more than 400 LAX workers without affordable family health care when it failed to comply with the city’s Living Wage Ordinance.

“When people’s lives are on the line, their family members are on the line, they’re not going to be able to enjoy their Thanksgiving,” said Gross-Gaitan. “This is really a critical moment for thousands of workers.”

As many as 1,000 airport workers and union supporters are expected to march on Century Boulevard just as an estimated 1.8 million passengers are expected to travel through LAX over the holiday weekend.

In March, SEIU workers staged a protest outside the Tom Bradley International Terminal, but despite some congestion, passengers were not prevented from entering the building.

This time, however, Gross-Gaitan would not dismiss the potential for severe disruptions to airport operations during the protest.

“It’s entirely possible there will be significant travel delays,” he said.

Czolgosz
11-19-2012, 07:10 AM
I hope they walk out, screw up schedules for a million people, AND I hope they receive all they demand.

RonPaul25
11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Let the idiots walk, and fire them

angelatc
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Wow - the top comment isn't what I would have expected.

specsaregood
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Strange, I would have thought that causing "disruptions to airport operations" would be considered a terrorist act.

donnay
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
All these walk-outs? Me thinks this is part of an agenda. Order out of chaos--The Feds will step-in and save the day. Free market be damned.

BAllen
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
All these walk-outs? Me thinks this is part of an agenda. Order out of chaos--The Feds will step-in and save the day. Free market be damned.

Par for the course when Demonrats have control. I hope all the unions strike and take over every business in the state. They deserve what they get.

donnay
11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Par for the course when Demonrats have control. I hope all the unions strike and take over every business in the state. They deserve what they get.

Did you forget the air-traffic controllers strike in 1981 and what the Republican Reagan did?

BAllen
11-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Did you forget the air-traffic controllers strike in 1981 and what the Republican Reagan did?

Yes, he fired them. So what's your point?

squarepusher
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Fire them so they can get SNAPS and Unemployment

donnay
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM

My point is government has no business intervening in the free market.

jbauer
11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Fire them so they can get SNAPS and Unemployment

I thought that if you quit as a result of a strike you had no rights to unemployment? As for snap, heck we should all be on the dol. We're just to stupid to have figure it out by now.

furface
11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Not all union demands are illegitimate. It looks like they have some valid gripes.

http://www.seiu-usww.org/2012/11/15/la-labor-fed-seiu-usww-press-conference-on-thanksgiving-eve-protest-at-lax/

I have a problem with government unions in principle, but this is a private union, I believe. There's nothing wrong with expecting a living wage & decent medical insurance.

BAllen
11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Not all union demands are illegitimate. It looks like they have some valid gripes.

http://www.seiu-usww.org/2012/11/15/la-labor-fed-seiu-usww-press-conference-on-thanksgiving-eve-protest-at-lax/

I have a problem with government unions in principle, but this is a private union, I believe. There's nothing wrong with expecting a living wage & decent medical insurance.

And that could have been accomplished with a free market system. Housing prices would fall, regulations would be reduced, we'd have sound money, etc. That didn't happen. We are stuck with what we have. So, yes, unions may be the only way to get more pay to make a decent living, at this point in time.

angelatc
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
My point is government has no business intervening in the free market.

The government does have a legitimate interest in enforcing contracts, and the air traffic controllers were in violation of their contract when they went on strike.

angelatc
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM

The concept living wage is bullshit, and inflationary. Health insurance...same thing. The 77 year old guy is already getting Medicare. Unions create malinvestment. Their time has passed.

tod evans
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Take the word "union" out of the mix..

Labor organizes in an attempt to demand more for their labor, which they have every right to do.

This organization automatically creates an us-vs-them environment in the work place..

In smaller companies it's workers-vs-owners, in larger there are three levels, workers-vs- management-vs- shareholders..

Government jobs are similar to larger companies except management is tied closer to labor than in the private sector so government jobs look more like, workers and management-vs-tax-payer funded entity.

In all scenarios the party holding the purse strings has the final say as to how or if money is disbursed....No amount of "spin" can change that fact.

Workers and management can band together and make demands but if the purse-strings are cut they're left crying in the wind.

If all the parties can't reach some type of mutual agreement that financially benefits them all then the party with controlling interest cashes in...

Kodaddy
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Maybe they thought," well, it worked so well for the Hostess union".....