PDA

View Full Version : GOP Establishment may be getting involved in the 2014 Primaries

realtonygoodwin
11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84001.html

It’s time, they say, for Washington bosses to be more assertive about recruiting and then defending promising candidates. They argue that it’s critical to start enlisting local conservative activists as allies and to ease the tea party versus Washington dynamic that’s wreaked havoc on the party.

All easier said than done, of course. Tea party types have relished showing the chosen candidates of the Washington establishment a thing or two — and it’s hard to see them laying down arms overnight. But after a sure-bet election in 2012 turned into an electoral disaster, Republicans say resolving their primary problem is, well, their primary problem.

Now, top Republicans are considering splitting the difference between the heavy hand they wielded in 2010 that prompted sharp blowback from the right and their mostly hands-off approach of 2012. Both strategies produced a handful of unelectable candidates, so senators are gravitating toward a middle ground: engage in primaries so long as they can get some cover on the local level.

“We ought to make certain that if we get engaged in primaries that we’re doing it based on the desires, the electability and the input of people back in the states that we’re talking about,” Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran, the incoming National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman, told POLITICO. “And not from the perception of what political operatives from Washington, D.C., think about who ought to be the candidate in state X.”

The first-term Moran, who was elected to the spot last week by his Senate colleagues, tapped incoming Texas freshman Sen. Ted Cruz as a vice chairman for grass roots and outreach. The plan, according to party leaders, is to employ Cruz’s tea party star power to help win over activist groups that may be wary of the NRSC and help unify the GOP behind a single candidate in crucial Senate races.

It's three pages long, but worth the read. They get a quote from Rand Paul at the end too.

It is critical that the liberty candidates we support in the primaries are seen as "electable" by the GOP. I would rather have 5 new Ted Cruz's and Pat Toomey's in the Senate than 5 new Lindsey Graham's or Olympia Snowe's.

itshappening
11-18-2012, 07:36 PM
we cannot support multiple liberty candidates for senate, it costs too much

Tom Davis 2014 would catch them by surprise though and is something we should focus on !

mz10
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Todd Akin wasn't a Tea Party candidate. I hate that perception. The Tea Party was working for Steelman/Brunner in the primary.

thoughtomator
11-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't know much about Sen. Moran, but the first impression is good. If he's not one of us yet, he appears closer to us than to the establishment.

Smart3
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Moran is DeMint's Kansas bulldog. I have no doubt most GOP nominees will be more Toomey/DeMint than Graham/Snowe/etc

Most of our liberty candidates this cycle - D'Amboise in Maine, Scaringi in Pennsylvania, Williams in California, etc lost horribly. We can expect the same for most states in 2014.

mz10
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Moran is DeMint's Kansas bulldog. I have no doubt most GOP nominees will be more Toomey/DeMint than Graham/Snowe/etc

Most of our liberty candidates this cycle - D'Amboise in Maine, Scaringi in Pennsylvania, Williams in California, etc lost horribly. We can expect the same for most states in 2014.

Glad to hear that about Moran, I didn't know much about him. As for the liberty candidates, those guys weren't in winnable races anyway, which is why we need to be smart about allocating our resources.

Also, Tom Davis needs to work hard demonstrating his competence (which I have no doubt he can do) so that the NRSC doesn't spend too much in support of Graham.

acptulsa
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
We're a problem. We keep pointing out how all of their corporatist establishment hacks are big government liberals, unrepentant warhawks, or like John McCain, both. Then we pick our own guys, and they have hell pronouncing them 'unelectable'. Especially when we get them elected.

We need to keep being a problem. Don't forget to remind any rank and file Republicans you know that Ron Paul would have kicked Obama's ass right back to Hawaii. And we had the polls during the primaries to prove it.

Keith and stuff
11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Todd Akin wasn't a Tea Party candidate. I hate that perception. The Tea Party was working for Steelman/Brunner in the primary.

Agreed. Maybe these US Senate Tea Party people will support Tea Party folks instead of establishment candidates like Akin?

Henry Rogue
11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
So, what i got out of this article, the losers the GOP establishment hand-picked was somebody else's fault.

GunnyFreedom
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Wait, the establishment thinks 2012 was laissez faire???? What???

From where I sat, 2010 was laissez faire, and 2012 was fair de tout.

I guess call a peanut an orange and then claim oranges are the solution for the village full or peanut allergies. These people are f'n unreal!

angelatc
11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Wait, the establishment thinks 2012 was laissez faire???? What???

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Maybe we weren't supposed to notice that?

AJ Antimony
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
These are people who live and work in Washington. Of course they blame Akin and Murdock for everything. Didn't anyone get the memo that the GOP would have taken the Senate and Presidency if it weren't for Akin and Murdock?

I love the Club for Growth quote in the article. Paraphrased: 'All of your 'electable' candidates lost too, and there were more of them.'