PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get really wealthy?

tangent4ronpaul
11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/twinkies-hoarding-hostess/

Hoard now, hit e-bay in 3-6 months...

Twinkies hoarding begins!
By Parija Kavilanz @CNNMoney November 17, 2012: 1:50 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Just hours after Twinkies maker Hostess declared it will shut down for good, grocery stores nationwide are already experiencing a run on Twinkies and the company's other iconic products like Wonder Bread, Hostess Cup Cakes and Ding Dongs.

"We're definitely seeing a sharp increase in purchases of Hostess products today," said Mike Siemienas, spokesman for grocery store operator Supervalu. "We expect this will continue as more consumers become aware of the news.

Irving, Texas-based Hostess Brands announced Friday that the company had initiated steps to shutter its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract that was imposed on them.

Siemienas said shoppers were snapping up Hostess products off of shelves across Supervalu's (SVU, Fortune 500) network of grocery stores nationwide, including Albertsons, Jewel-Osco, Acme and Shaw's.

"These products are available while supplies last," he said. "But we're now preparing for the fact that we won't have them in the near future."

Related Story: The day Twinkies died: The Web reacts

When Supervalu stores run out of Twinkies and Ding Dongs completely, Siemienas said the company will fill up the empty shelf space with other store-brand snacks.

Target (TGT, Fortune 500) said it was also seeing a spike in sales of Hostess products. And Twinkies sales were on fire on Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500). In the last 24 hours, Twinkies sales jumped over 31,000% on the etailer's "Movers & Shakers" sales ranking. On Friday, Hostess products accounted for 10 of the top 11 bestsellers in the grocery and gourmet food category. The 10-count box of Twinkies is No. 1, while the box of the orange cupcakes is No. 2 and a 6-pack of Hostess Sno Balls is in the 6th spot. To top of page

-t

FrankRep
11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Twinkie Crisis of 2012

pacelli
11-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Don't worry, China will buy the factory and soon enough hostess products will be available 'dim sum'.

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 08:50 AM
yeah, bankruptcy doesn't mean the product is going away.
if suddenly there is an increased awareness generated for hostess cakes, someone will buy up the good assets and keep producing them.
only the ignorant would spend a bunch of money on twinkies.

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Twinkie Crisis of 2012

The Mayans knew...

FrankRep
11-18-2012, 08:52 AM
The Mayans knew...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/990_556199844409473_1750084223_n.jpg

shane77m
11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=twinkies&_sacat=0&_from=R40

It just might work.

matt0611
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Price gouging! The government must do something quick! Oh the humanity!

Call Chris Christie!!

FrankRep
11-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Nationalize the Twinkie!

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Nationalize the Twinkie!

Too big to fail! Tarp 2.0

tod evans
11-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Nationalize the Twinkie!

Seem to be working on that....

Sure didn't take long;

Petition wants Obama to save Twinkies

A new White House petition wants President Obama to nationalize the "Twinkie industry," saving the popular junk food from possible extinction.

"We the undersigned, hereby request Barack Obama to immediately Nationalize the Twinkie industry and prevent our nation from losing her sweet creamy center," a petition on the White House "We the People" website requests.

more;

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/11/petition-wants-obama-to-save-twinkies-149789.html

NoOneButPaul
11-18-2012, 09:11 AM
1 box of twinkies can get you 1OZ of silver right now...

That's a deal we should all make.

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
for example, the alexandria hostess plant is still producing product.

edit: if twinkies were securities, would that be insider info?

tod evans
11-18-2012, 09:33 AM
for example, the alexandria hostess plant is still producing product.

Wait!..........Do say "The-Newz" isn't sensationalizing shutting down the union arm while the non-union arm keeps on producing?

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Wait!..........Do say "The-Newz" isn't sensationalizing shutting down the union arm while the non-union arm keeps on producing?

they are still hiring.
maybe they have future contracts to fulfill?

Victor Grey
11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Price gouging! The government must do something quick! Oh the humanity!

Call Chris Christie!!

True, government needs to commit to a twinkie sanction against Chris Christie.

It's the only way to ease the shortage.

tod evans
11-18-2012, 09:43 AM
they are still hiring.
maybe they have future contracts to fulfill?

So it's entirely possible, even probable, that Interstate incorporated a non-union entity with the intent of continuing production while neglecting contractual obligations to union members..

Ethically I find this repugnant!

Legally, I'm betting every "T" is crossed and every "I" dotted....

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
So it's entirely possible, even probable, that Interstate incorporated a non-union entity with the intent of continuing production while neglecting contractual obligations to union members..

Ethically I find this repugnant!

Legally, I'm betting every "T" is crossed and every "I" dotted....

the factory here would be a good buy. the amount they produce for the amount of payroll is very high.
we have a very low cost of living... a lot of people looking for any kind of work.

if i had the money, i'd bid for our factory.

the company was already planning to close down the union plants months ago... they were moving product lines to our facility weeks ago.
they aren't the only company doing this either...
louisiana is getting a boom of production facilities, especially from companies that already had plants here. they are closing plants in union states and moving the plants to our state.

tod evans
11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
louisiana is getting a boom of production facilities, especially from companies that already had plants here. they are closing plants in union states and moving the plants to our state.

The "new" Filth-a Delphia, or Detroit-South?

I'd much rather see production take place within our borders than overseas..

I also fear arguing an ethics based complaint would fall on deaf ears..

torchbearer
11-18-2012, 11:10 AM
The "new" Filth-a Delphia, or Detroit-South?

I'd much rather see production take place within our borders than overseas..

I also fear arguing an ethics based complaint would fall on deaf ears..

we are a thrid-world state in some regards. why move your facility to mexico... come to louisiana.
but, since cost of living is low... this makes it an ideal place to move to also...\

of course, if you love unions- you'll have to stay in states like Pennsylvania or Michigan.... where the factories are closing.

tod evans
11-18-2012, 12:39 PM
we are a thrid-world state in some regards. why move your facility to mexico... come to louisiana.
but, since cost of living is low... this makes it an ideal place to move to also...\

of course, if you love unions- you'll have to stay in states like Pennsylvania or Michigan.... where the factories are closing.

I too live in a "third-world state" and love neither unions or corporations...

But I do understand both sides of the issue..

Danan
11-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Seem to be working on that....

Reminds me of this:

http://mises.org/daily/3831/The-Candlemakers-Petition