PDA

View Full Version : Would You move to New Hampshire?

madRazor
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
If Ron Paul said that all of his supporters should move to New Hampshire (Free State Project), what would you do?

sirachman
11-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Move.

Richandler
11-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I would try if this campaign fails but that depends on what the economy is doing and whether I can get enough assests to be able to move. Also whether they take my college transfer too.

Bruehound
11-20-2007, 06:42 PM
yes

Mr. Coolidge
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I'd definitely think about it. I was already thinking about it for when I get older (as in work-force age, out of college, etc.).

torchbearer
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
If Ron Paul said that all of his supporters should move to New Hampshire (Free State Project), what would you do?

If someone could help me find work there... I would move tomorrow.

Ron Paul Fan
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I would jump off of a bridge if Ron Paul asked me to, so YES I would move to the Live Free or Die State! In a heartbeat!

Roxi
11-20-2007, 07:03 PM
funny you ask i am on highway 70 as we speak heading to NH :)

so i picked yes instead of im already there.

margomaps
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I am hopeful that there will be renewed interest in the FSP as a result of the Ron Paul campaign. Win or lose in the presidential election, individuals still have the choice and the power to congregate in an already-libertarian-leaning state and work to promote the kind of free society that Dr. Paul advocates.

RPFTW!
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Yup, move to NH and secede from USA

McDermit
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
No. Bought a home here last year and dumped too much money into it. I'm raising my kids here.

Lyn
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm already making plans to do so. That's how I found out about Ron Paul, through the Free State Project. Hope to be voting for RP in the general election in NH next year.

jgmaynard
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Anybody who is interested should check out the Free State Project site...

JM

Skeeterbug73
11-20-2007, 07:14 PM
No. I have three kids and one of them has a learning disorder that requires an occupational therapist. I couldn't uproot my child like that. If I was single or just married without kids I would think about it though.

AlexAmore
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Already there chillin'. Come on in, The freedom fight is warm. :)

inibo
11-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Once the general election is over if the job prospects looked good I'd move there happily.

FreeTraveler
11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm retired and traveling full time now (RV) so I could move my residency pretty easily. I'll see if there's a mail forwarding service I can use that's based in NH.

Voice
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Already planning to move, but in any case I would move to hell for Ron Paul.

austin356
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I would jump off of a bridge if Ron Paul asked me to, so YES I would move to the Live Free or Die State! In a heartbeat!

thats not much....... I would jump off a bridge if it made me look cool in front of my friends, let alone the Good Doctor asking me too.:D:D:D:D

ForTheRepublic
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I've been thinking about this for about a year now. If the good doctor called I'd make it happen.

CurtisLow
11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I see there herb laws suck.. So much for freedom....

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4551

Suzu
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd love to go, but couldn't even afford the gas for the one-way trip. And I'd have a helluva time finding a place to live when my total monthly income is $700. Still, I couldn't resist participating in the Nov. 5th event. Ron Paul got my Thanksgiving turkey!

jgmaynard
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I see there herb laws suck.. So much for freedom....

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4551

The reality is way different from the laws. NH spends a TOTAL of $7 per person per year enforcing all drug laws. This year, NH Common Sense worked with LEAP to very nearly get major decrim passed - violation for possesion of up to 5 lbs or 25 plants. Next year, we are nearly assured of getting more moderate decrim passed quickly. NH also leads the nation in cannabis usage per capita, as well as alcohol usage. Don't sweat it, really.

JM

fedup100
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Just what the jack booted thug police state would want, all their targets in one place!

inibo
11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Just what the jack booted thug police state would want, all their targets in one place!

With guns :D

Jagwarr
11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for posting this. The wife and I have been thinking about making our escape from NJ and have been considering PA and NH. PA had the edge but this post might have just changed that completely. I'm going to take a good look hard look at this Free State idea as I was not aware of it.

I read yesterday that begininng Jan 1st 2008 the state of NH will begin offering 30% rebates against the cost of home conversions to Solar Power and that is another huge plus to us as we hope to have our new home converted before moving in.

ksuguy
11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
That's not exactly something that can be done on ultra short notice.

margomaps
11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I read yesterday that begininng Jan 1st 2008 the state of NH will begin offering 30% rebates against the cost of home conversions to Solar Power and that is another huge plus to us as we hope to have our new home converted before moving in.

Please don't come up here and gleefully use my tax dollars to fund your choice of home power. This is precisely the kind of thing that is not compatible with smaller government, and freedom in general. Haven't you been paying attention to Dr. Paul's message at all? ;) NH doesn't have a state income tax, but with everyone trying to eat from the trough, there is an alarming chance this could change very quickly.

margomaps
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
That's not exactly something that can be done on ultra short notice.

You'd be surprised! I've already met a number of people who did just that: quit their job, found some job in NH -- any job -- and moved here.

But everyone has their own priorities and issues to work through. Nobody would hold it against you if you took a more deliberate, planned approach to making the move. :)

DahuiHeeNalu
11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Why not ,need sum room mates :)

Jagwarr
11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I think Dr. Paul's concern is with the Federal Government and not with what each individual state decides.

NJ pays more then 30% and offers an outright grant of $30K. Ending our current dependence on imported oil is a very good message and all Americans would do well to participate. It's our future, we are going to need to embrace it.

margomaps
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I think Dr. Paul's concern is with the Federal Government and not with what each individual state decides.

NJ pays more then 30% and offers an outright grant of $30K. Ending our current dependence on imported oil is a very good message and all Americans would do well to participate. It's our future, we are going to need to embrace it.

Dr. Paul certainly does talk a lot about limiting the federal government -- he's running for the top job in that organization after all. However, the passion that drove him into politics in the first place was that of economic freedom. Economic freedom means keeping the fruits of your labor, and taking responsibility for your own well being. What you're suggesting is taking the fruits of my labor and using it for your purposes. Totally incompatible with the concept of economic freedom, and totally indistinguishable from theft.

Ron has talked at length about the best solution to energy problems being free-market based. He has pointed out numerous times that government interference in energy skews the market, and prevents the most efficient choice from being realized in the marketplace.

You presumably are trying to 'escape' NJ because you don't like the way things are going there. Yet you use NJ's statist theft schemes -- and make no mistake, taxing individuals and giving the money to someone else constitutes theft -- as an example of what you'd like to take advantage of in NH. Please reconsider. I'm not trying to attack you here. I just want you to see that the means (taxation/theft) cannot justify the ends (energy independence) -- no matter how noble you think the ends might be.

Anti Federalist
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
While more freedom minded folks are always welcome, just consider this.

The personal winter record at my house, central lakes region:

35 BELOW zero.

Jagwarr
11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I understand what you mean but I did not have anything to do with NH alternative energy policies nor NJ's for that matter. If I am paying taxes for services then I am going to use them but that doesn't mean I approve of them.

Do all libertarians send their children to private schools? Do you not accept tax refunds? Do NH people not get sent S.S checks?

I am not going anywhere to take "advantage" of anything or anyone. I have served in the military and then private buisness. I have never received or cashed any government check other then my military pay. The reason I mentioned converting the home to solar before moving is because we would not have to sell before buying as long as we keep to our modest means.

Sorry if we disagree.

margomaps
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I understand what you mean but I did not have anything to do with NH alternative energy policies nor NJ's for that matter. If I am paying taxes for services then I am going to use them but that doesn't mean I approve of them.

Do all libertarians send their children to private schools? Do you not accept tax refunds? Do NH people not get sent S.S checks?

I am not going anywhere to take "advantage" of anything or anyone. I have served in the military and then private buisness. I have never received or cashed any government check other then my military pay. The reason I mentioned converting the home to solar before moving is because we would not have to sell before buying as long as we keep to our modest means.

Sorry if we disagree.

Hey, it's OK to disagree -- and I think we can do it respectfully. Whether you choose to move to NH or not is obviously your decision, no matter what I say. :)

But consider this: you cannot in good faith both accept a solar energy subsidy in NH and sign the Free State Project's statement of intent (see http://www.freestateproject.org/soi:

"I hereby state my solemn intent to move to the state of New Hampshire. Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Look, I think energy independence is a good thing. I think finding and using cleaner energy sources is also admirable (although solar doesn't neatly fall into that category, given the amount of energy and environmentally damaging chemicals required to build and dispose of solar panels). All I'm saying is that it's not at all in keeping with NH's spirit of liberty to have someone else subsidize your choices.

Republicans in NH have traditionally been of a more libertarian bent, very different from the national Republican party. Sadly they were voted out of office due to Bush's unpopularity and the Iraq war. The Democrats in power now are the worst kind -- the dreaded "northeast liberal." They desire nothing less than to impose an income tax on the state, so they can proceed with centralized control of the state's educational system (currently ranked near the top in the nation while it's still largely under local control), and all manner of other social experiments. It's not good. I see these state taxation and subsidizing schemes as part of the same problem. Hopefully that helps explain why I'm a little touchy about this topic. Most of the traditional Republicans/libertarians in NH feel the way I do. And almost everyone who moves to the state as part of the FSP is working to reduce the power of the state government -- not partake in it.

I suggest if you want to continue this conversation, we do so via PM's or over in the general political forum.

c0unterph0bia
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
That was a well written response margo. My brother joined the FSP and is moving to NH as soon as he finishes gun school in Pennsylvania. I'd love to sign up, but I just can't commit to moving within five years. I have a really nice house here in Ohio, a good job, and I'm half way through college. I suppose I would move if I got hooked up with a really good job. Maybe I should throw up a NH resume on Monster or something.

American
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I would move in a heart beat, are things that bad in NH?

I dont trust these polls, from everything I have heard Ron Paul is everywhere there, the phone polls wont change that much they are still calling the same numbers. We have a whole new base of people out there that support Ron Paul.

Could you go out there get a PO box then do an absentee ballot?

Im kidding.

margomaps
11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
That was a well written response margo. My brother joined the FSP and is moving to NH as soon as he finishes gun school in Pennsylvania. I'd love to sign up, but I just can't commit to moving within five years. I have a really nice house here in Ohio, a good job, and I'm half way through college. I suppose I would move if I got hooked up with a really good job. Maybe I should throw up a NH resume on Monster or something.

Thank you. I try my best not to alienate people with my words, even while disagreeing. :)

I'm glad your brother is coming to NH. We need even more gunsmiths up here. "Gun people" tend to be far more freedom oriented than most.

Hey, it can't hurt to put your resume up on Monster.com. A good job and a nice home are wonderful things to have -- but freedom is even better. :D And of course there are many good jobs and nice homes in NH as well. You'll never know unless you look into it. A new job and home probably aren't going to fall into your lap, but if you do a little proactive homework...you might be surprised how often opportunities present themselves.

margomaps
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM
I would move in a heart beat, are things that bad in NH?

I dont trust these polls, from everything I have heard Ron Paul is everywhere there, the phone polls wont change that much they are still calling the same numbers. We have a whole new base of people out there that support Ron Paul.

No, things aren't that bad here in NH. I reckon they're better than just about anywhere else in the nation. But defenders of liberty fight a constant war of attrition against the powers of statism. NH did suffer a big setback with the Democrats recently gaining control of the legislature and governorship. But I think a lot of people are starting to wake up to the fact that the Democrats here are hell-bent on an income tax and worse. Hopefully that will result in corrective action at the next election. *crosses fingers*

CurtisLow
11-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Ok, 7 of us come up with $150k each and we buy this place... we are each deeded 25 acres each. Or the more you put in the more land you get. We could divided the home, barn. garage. into Separate living spaces.

I know in all practicality this would not work.

I was just looking at property there and thought about the idea...

http://homes.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?cmid=1080959%2c1080958%2c108096 4%2c1080965%2c1013483%2c1080976%2c1080982%2c108098 3%2c1080984%2c1080986%2c1080988%2c1080991%2c101353 6%2c1013544%2c1081007%2c1081017%2c1081023%2c108102 5%2c1081029%2c1013600%2c1081034%2c1081035%2c108103 7%2c1081047%2c1081050%2c1013660%2c1081063%2c108107 0%2c1081076%2c1013725%2c1013726%2c1013733%2c108109 5%2c1081100%2c1013761%2c1081104%2c1081109%2c109810 9%2c1081066&ml=3&typ=1&pfbm=1100&ofbm=40&sid=8da39f75255444e4ace523aa252cc5b2&lid=1064578275&lsn=5&srcnt=1876#Detail

me dreaming....

nathanmn
11-21-2007, 03:34 PM
I really like the idea of the Free state project. I intend to go to NH and check the state out some time. If I like the state and there seems to be an ever stronger trend towards liberty, then I will definitely think long and hard about moving. I would really like to move. Freedom is important to me.