PDA

View Full Version : My Suggestion to The Weather Channel (VOTE FOR IT!!)

dannno
11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
**You can vote for my idea once moderators have approved it at: hxxp: //feedback.weather.com/forums/131819-weather-com/suggestions/3361988-save-lives-educate-twc-staff-about-the-true-econo

So I went to weather.com today and this was on the front page:

http://i50.tinypic.com/263g9qw.jpg

So....

How can we improve weather.com?

->New Idea or Feature

Save Lives: Educate TWC Staff About the True Economics of "Price Gouging" During a Disaster

As you know millions of people rely on your organization for information about weather and sometimes it means the difference between life or death, safety or tragedy.

Today on the front page of TWC website was a picture of gas station prices with the question of whether gas stations were price gouging. Boy, I sure wish they would "price gouge" in Southern California because gas here is far more expensive than what I saw in the picture.

The fact of the matter is that prices on products have untold numbers of stories behind them and by restricting prices with price gouging legislation, governments are actually significantly reducing the supply of goods and services desperately needed during a disaster.

This is very basic economics:

Charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline DOES provide incentive for more individuals to bring gasoline into weather torn areas that may be difficult to get to, have no power or services, etc.

Individuals charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline DOES NOT stop OTHER individuals from bringing in more gasoline to weather torn areas and selling it at normal market levels or even giving it away.

Charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline even with a limited supply WILL ensure that more individuals have access to (lesser amounts) of gasoline because individuals will buy only what they need and will be less likely to HOARD.

The same principle applies to water, sometimes one of the most necessary items one needs in a prolonged disaster. Let's say a store has only 40 (1) gallon jugs of water left that normally sell for $1. Let's pretend that there is anti-price gouging legislation and so the store continues to sell the water for $1/gallon. The first person, Mr. Johnson comes in a buys 10 gallons for his family for $10. The next person, Mr. Smith comes in and buys 20 gallons for $20 because they see that there is very little water left and he is very panicked about the storm. This is called hoarding. Then Mr. Jones comes in and buys the final 10 gallons and the water is gone. At least 5 more people come in to buy water and are told they have none - these people don't get any water.

Now let's say the anti-price gouging legislation was repealed a month before the storm. The store owner sees that water is in short supply and raises the price to $5/gallon. Mr. Johnson comes in and instead of buying 10 gallons for $50, he figures that 5 gallons is probably enough to get him and his family by for a few days. He also remembers an empty jug in his basement that he is going to fill with tap water so he can fill up the empty jugs once they are gone. The next 7 people who come in the store buy an average of 5 gallons each and EVERYBODY gets water!!

Instead of profiting about $20 on the sale of 40 gallons of water, the store owner just profited $200. He calls up an independent water distributor and tells them he will buy gallon bottles at $2/gallon instead of the normal $.50/gallon if he can deliver them before or shortly after the storm hits. The store owner uses the $200 profit and buys as much water as he can to fill his store back up, and once stocked back up sells the water at $3/gallon for a $1 profit. The water lasts and everybody has plenty of water for the storm. You see, when the supply begins to get replenished with the extra profits, the price automatically begins to go back down to normal levels. But with price gouging legislation, the mechanism that increases the supply is completely missing.

So not only does raising prices on necessities like water and gas during a disaster keep people from raiding the store shelves until they are empty so that more of the goods can be distributed to a greater number of people, but it helps motivate people to bring in more of these needed goods and services. And remember, it doesn't stop ANYBODY from bringing in those goods and services at lower prices, or even for free.

So as you can see, understanding this concept could drastically help in saving many lives. The problem is that news organizations love to use price gouging stories to rile up the public which results in legislation that actually hurts people during a disaster. Please, don't do it. Please, DO educate your staff and everybody you can about this important economic concept that doesn't seem to be taught in schools and certainly isn't taught by the media.

Origanalist
11-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Tried the address, didn't work for me.

Cleaner44
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Well done... but the link is incomplet

dannno
11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Ya it is still awaiting moderator approval, that is why the link isn't working :/

Carson
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Don't see it. Check and see if it's still up.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/gas-20-cents.jpg

Worth support for these lines alone.

This is very basic economics:

Charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline DOES provide incentive for more individuals to bring gasoline into weather torn areas that may be difficult to get to, have no power or services, etc.

Individuals charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline DOES NOT stop OTHER individuals from bringing in more gasoline to weather torn areas and selling it at normal market levels or even giving it away.

Charging $10/gallon or more for gasoline even with a limited supply WILL ensure that more individuals have access to (lesser amounts) of gasoline because individuals will buy only what they need and will be less likely to HOARD.

GeorgiaAvenger
11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
edit-nm

Anti Federalist
11-16-2012, 07:50 PM
My suggestion to The Weather Channel:

Report on the weather, with accurate, detailed forecasts and maps of isobars, winds aloft, fronts, temperatures and precipitation, delivered by professional sounding and looking people, not "b" list, morning flap, celebrities, hype mongering idiots that are spun up and out of control, or "bubble headed bleach blondes, who will tell me about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye."

Oh, and to "Music Television"...play some fucking music.

dannno
11-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't see it. Check and see if it's still up.

When I go to the link it shows my comment and says my idea is being processed, it is awaiting moderator approval...

How long is this going to take?!

angelatc
11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
When I go to the link it shows my comment and says my idea is being processed, it is awaiting moderator approval...

How long is this going to take?!

Maybe that's another question?

BAllen
11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Oh, they'll have an answer for that. In addition to the anti-gouging price fixes, there will also be a limit per customer, to keep anyone from hoarding. They will set daily limits, if need be.

Occam's Banana
11-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Report on the weather, with accurate, detailed forecasts and maps of isobars, winds aloft, fronts, temperatures and precipitation, delivered by professional sounding and looking people, not "b" list, morning flap, celebrities, hype mongering idiots that are spun up and out of control, or "bubble headed bleach blondes, who will tell me about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye."

+rep for truth, lolz. and the "Dirty Laundry" reference.

I don't watch TV anymore because of crap like this, but when I did, the so-called "History" channel was one of the worst offenders. What little actual "historical" programming they carried was, without exception, of the bland, establishmentarian variety (such as presidential hagiographies and the like). Made me yearn for the days when it was (with no little justice) known as the "Hitler" channel.

Anti Federalist
11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
+rep for truth, lolz. and the "Dirty Laundry" reference.

I don't watch TV anymore because of crap like this, but when I did, the so-called "History" channel was one of the worst offenders. What little actual "historical" programming they carried was, without exception, of the bland, establishmentarian variety (such as presidential hagiographies and the like). Made me yearn for the days when it was (with no little justice) known as the "Hitler" channel.

LOL, no kidding!

From bland history, to Hitler to fat guys with bad jobs and worse tattoos hollering at each other.

To this guy:

http://www.comedytime.tv/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/historychannelprogress.png

Cleaner44
11-16-2012, 08:26 PM

And what the fuck is it with sending weathermen out to stand in the rain and wind during hurricanes when they should be indoors? Every god damn time they have to send some idiot out with a hooded jacket to stand in a foot of water waiting for a lightning strike or some piece of wood to impale him. WFT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mXwABGDgg

And fuck MTV and their non music channel too.

Carson
11-16-2012, 09:56 PM
And what the fuck is it with sending weathermen out to stand in the rain and wind during hurricanes when they should be indoors? Every god damn time they have to send some idiot out with a hooded jacket to stand in a foot of water waiting for a lightning strike or some piece of wood to impale him. WFT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mXwABGDgg

And fuck MTV and their non music channel too.

A couple of weather reporters from different stations should get together and do it from under the covers...

you know...for the ratings.

Carson
11-16-2012, 09:59 PM
My suggestion to them was to quit covering up the announcers legs with the banner at the bottom.

It looked to me like they did their best to correct the problem.