PDA

View Full Version : 78% of Right Wing blogs say GOP should be more libertarian

itshappening
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
8) Should the GOP become more libertarian or become more vocal about its social conservatism?

A) More Libertarian 77.8% (49 votes)
B) More vocal about its social conservatism 22.2% (14 votes)

http://www.rightwingnews.com/bloggers-select/polling-conservative-bloggers-on-what-lessons-the-gop-should-learn-from-the-2012-election-defeat/

erowe1
11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
8) Should the GOP become more libertarian or become more vocal about its social conservatism?

A) More Libertarian 77.8% (49 votes)
B) More vocal about its social conservatism 22.2% (14 votes)

http://www.rightwingnews.com/bloggers-select/polling-conservative-bloggers-on-what-lessons-the-gop-should-learn-from-the-2012-election-defeat/

The way they pit "libertarian" against "vocal about social conservatism" makes it a not-very-good-poll. That makes it look like the ones who want it to be more libertarian really just want it to be more socially liberal.

jkr
11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
wiNNing?

Sola_Fide
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
The way they pit "libertarian" against "vocal about social conservatism" makes it a not-very-good-poll. That makes it look like the ones who want it to be more libertarian really just want it to be more socially liberal.

Yes. This is what troubles me the most about about how conservatives view this new "libertarianism" that they are being told they have to accept in order to win. It is the Gary Johnson-type social liberalism, not the Ron Paul-type social conservatism+civil liberties.

There have been several times I've noticed this in the media since Romney lost. Conservatives (and secular "libertarians") still don't understand what being a Ron Paul Republican really is. Ron Paul's message was never social liberalism or government-authorized social liberalism. I believe this is the reason that Ron never endorsed Gary Johnson, like he did Chuck Baldwin.

RP Supporter
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Eh, the guy who runs that site had a post savaging Romney for not being conservative enough after election day(True in a sense) he then said Santorum, Gingrich, and Cain would have done better than Romney, and said Mitt was his last choice besides Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, presumably because of their foreign policy. They STILL don't get it.:rolleyes:

Sola_Fide
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
wiNNing?

In my opinion, no.

The Gary Johnson/Reason libertarianism is focused on changing people's morality, whereas Ron Paul's libertarianism is focused on limiting government. Major, major difference.

NIU Students for Liberty
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
And why do I get the impression that libertarian in their eyes equates to Glenn Beck's brand of "libertarianism"...

Andyc3020
11-16-2012, 02:16 PM
In my opinion, no.

The Gary Johnson/Reason libertarianism is focused on changing people's morality, whereas Ron Paul's libertarianism is focused on limiting government. Major, major difference.

I'm curious why you say that. His farewell speach seemed to make it clear that while his main foccus has been shrinking the government, none of it will work without a moral population.

Sola_Fide
11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm curious why you say that. His farewell speach seemed to make it clear that while his main foccus has been shrinking the government, none of it will work without a moral population.

Ron was not talking about adopting sociallly liberal positions in order to be a moral population. That is the entire point.

Andyc3020
11-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Ron was not talking about adopting sociallly liberal positions in order to be a moral population. That is the entire point.
I see what you mean. I misunderstood your post.

July
11-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Brian Doherty's interpretation seems the most accurate, in my opinion...

He says Ron defines a moral society as being absent coercion and violent force. Whereas, I think some see the libertarian position as combining fiscal conservatism with progressive social policies. By contrast, liberals can and still do use coercion to force social policy. Even though it might be 'tolerant' on the surface, it's not.

Andyc3020
11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
That makes sense

Victor Grey
11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
In my opinion, no.

Would agree the viewpoints aren't the same.

Libertine-ism will ultimately lead back into strong statism.