PDA

View Full Version : An ode to Ron Paul

MGee
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM
From http://themattwalshblog.com/2012/11/15/farewell-ron-paul/ :

"Rhetorically we all want a politician who’s “in it for the people”, who isn’t an egomaniac and a power hungry sociopath, but in actuality that’s evidently precisely what many of us want. That’s why the mild and humble Ron Paul was left on the fringes while the American electorate casted their lots for guys like Obama and Bush and Romney and Kerry and Gore. We choose stupidity over thoughtfulness, fraudulence over sincerity, deception over honesty, superficiality over profundity: it’s the same old tune humanity has been whistling since Adam.
I don’t know why we feel the need to mock, deride or ignore the men who put truth above all. I don’t know why wisdom seems so foolish to fools. I don’t know why we say we want one thing and when that thing appears we push it aside for the thing we say we don’t want. We are a mystery to me.
Ah but yes, you could have voted for the man if not for his “wacky” foreign policy or his “strange” economic theories. Personally I don’t know what’s so wacky about a foreign policy that actually takes into account the lessons of history, both recent and ancient. And I don’t know what’s so strange about an economic theory that puts private property above redistributionism and liberty over dependency. But that’s really here nor there. The fact is Ron Paul actually believed in the beautiful phrase “consent of the governed”. I never saw him pump his fist and yell “power to the people!” but his entire career was dedicated to that idea.
He was a once in a lifetime kind of politician. He wanted to assume the throne in the White House and immediately convert the throne back to a non-descript office chair. He wanted to destroy the palace from the inside and free the serfs. He wanted to throw the ring into Mount Doom.
The odd thing is, even his opponents don’t deny this about him. Yet they still opposed him. Again, we are a mystery."