PDA

View Full Version : "What Happened to the Ron Paul Coalition?"

11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Watching CSPAN just now, there's some kind of conservative Republican roundtable discussion on the hill playing from yesterday and I think probably sponsored by the Republican Study Committee, since outgoing chairman Jim Jordan is one of the panelists. Also Raul Labrador, and Tom McClintock, both friends and cohorts with Justin Amash on many issues.

Rep. Steve King of Iowa, known as a fairly conservative lawmaker, just was talking about why he felt Republicans couldn't win this year*–*and he said "What happened to the Ron Paul coalition?"

He basically went on to make the point that Republicans have to reach out to these folks and bring them into the fold.

A Winning Coalition

One of the great selling points of this election that we have is, look at where Ron Paul Republicans ran and how well they did.

Look at how many grassroots Ron Paul Republicans were put off by the treatment they received from the Romney campaign and the RNC! Consider how Romney might have won if we had been brought into the fold...

We have to be able to articulate, going forward, that liberty ideas and liberty activists are a NECESSARY part of any winning Republican coalition.

People like Steve King, honest conservative Republicans in positions to do something, are clearly listening.

I get it that some of you aren't Republicans, this isn't for you. This is for those of you who are staying in the GOP and working that way. We can all do our own things, I understand some of you don't want to be in the party.

Origanalist
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
What happened to us? Weren't you watching Rep. King?

sailingaway
11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
King was fighting us, as I recall.

However, it does give me great satisfaction that 8 of 12 Ron endorsed and donated to won their contests while 0, that is ZERO of those Rove's PAC spent hundreds of millions on won theirs.

11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
What happened to us? Weren't you watching Rep. King?

I take what King said to be, in a sense, a nuanced admission that Republicans blew it by not bringing Ron Paul people into the fold more.

I have no doubt that Romney would have won if he had made a serious, serious effort to bring in more liberty ideas and threw open doors, instead of shutting them, to our supporters.

I think many Republicans like King realize that.

11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
King was fighting us, as I recall.

However, it does give me great satisfaction that 8 of 12 Ron endorsed and donated to won their contests while 0, that is ZERO of those Rove's PAC spent hundreds of millions on won theirs.

The Club for Growth did pretty well also – we can't forget about these groups, like the Club (which scores Amash 100%) and FreedomWorks, which are not only open to our ideas, but advocate for economic freedom in a serious way that complements our liberty-specific efforts.

If we are going to win more offices in the future, I think that these two groups in particular, and others like them, are going to be key to our success.

sailingaway
11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I think it is great to have coalitions with groups be they progressives or the Club for Growth when we have cross over. However, I don't want to BECOME the Club for Growth. In part because economics is an imprtant part but still only a part, of my personal political agenda.

11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I think it is great to have coalitions with groups be they progressives or the Club for Growth when we have cross over. However, I don't want to BECOME the Club for Growth. In part because economics is an imprtant part but still only a part, of my personal political agenda.

Correct, but my point is that if we run more Ron Paul Republicans in the future, groups like the Club and Freedomworks will be necessarily a large part of the machinery to get our folks elected, since they are so open to supporting freedom-conscious Republicans.

orenbus
11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39W91O-rUg