PDA

View Full Version : MN-Record damages awarded to family who's handicapped mother was grenaded by cops.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Handicapped woman who didn't move fast enough gets a grenade lobbed at her for non compliance, sets her on fire.

Just another day in the War on Us.

St. Paul to pay record-tying $400K in police violence case

By Mara H. Gottfried
mgottfried@pioneerpress.comtwincities.com
Posted: 11/06/2012 12:01:00 AM CST
November 7, 2012 7:37 PM GMTUpdated: 11/07/2012 01:37:44 PM CST

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_21941479/st-paul-pays-record-tying-400k-settle-police

St. Paul police kicked a man in the face as he lay on the ground and tried to explain that his mother couldn't quickly get to the ground because she'd recently had surgery, a lawsuit says. Police then shot a "flash-bang" grenade directly at the woman, setting her afire and seriously burning her legs, according to the lawsuit.

The St. Paul City Council is slated to approve a $400,000 settlement in the lawsuit Wednesday, Nov. 7, equaling the largest payout in a St. Paul police lawsuit, according to the city attorney's office.

Six other police misconduct cases have led to nearly a half-million dollars in payouts this year, according to the St. Paul city attorney's office. The city also recently settled for $385,000 a data privacy lawsuit involving St. Paul officers.

An investigation continues into a separate case in August in which a St. Paul police officer was seen on video kicking a suspect who was on the ground.

"This is extremely, extremely sad to hear about officers we trust to protect and serve," Tyrone Terrill, chairman of the African-American Leadership Council, said Wednesday of the lawsuit about to be settled. "We really need to have a serious talk with Chief (Thomas) Smith and his leadership."

Smith said later in the day that he'd talked with Terrill. Terrill said they would be meeting.

"I always want to make sure that we're doing the right thing," Smith said. "I listen to the concerns of the community all the time. ... I take anything that
happens in the community very seriously."

In settling the current lawsuit, the city "does not admit any wrongdoing, improper action or liability," according to the settlement agreement.

St. Paul City Attorney Sara Grewing said Tuesday that the city looked at a case with similar circumstances in Minneapolis -- after an officer threw a "flash-bang" grenade into an apartment where police suspected crack cocaine was being sold, it went off under a woman's legs and caused third-degree burns. Minneapolis settled the woman's lawsuit for $1 million last year.

In the St. Paul case that's being settled, Grewing said, "the plaintiff had serious and permanent injuries."

The case about to be settled in St. Paul was filed in November 2011 in U.S. District Court by Larelle Steward, 28, and his mother, Daniela Hobbs, 48. They alleged civil rights violations, assault, battery and negligence stemming from the St. Paul police execution of a search warrant Oct. 28, 2010.

Officer Matthew Yunker had received information from a confidential informant that another man, then 58, was selling crack cocaine from an apartment in the 600 block of North Snelling Avenue, according to his application for a search warrant, which a judge granted. Yunker was looking for cocaine and other items, he wrote.

The lawsuit included the following claims about what happened when police executed the warrant:

Steward and Hobbs lived in the apartment, above a business, and saw police arrive via a security camera the business owner had installed. They were the only ones home. Steward opened the door when they knocked. Police yelled for them to "get on the ground."

Police "zip-tied" Steward's wrists behind his back. Hobbs is 5 feet 3 inches tall, has diabetes and back problems and, at the time of the police encounter, "was visibly disabled due to a recent neck surgery," the complaint said.

Steward saw his mother "struggling to get into the prone position; however, due to her recent surgery and visible injury, Hobbs was physically unable to move as quickly as Steward," the complaint said.

Steward was on the ground, explaining Hobbs' "inability to move quickly," when police "repeatedly kicked Steward in the back of his head causing his face to smash into the premises' floor thereby breaking his nose and causing cuts on his face," the complaint said. Police covered his head with a pillowcase.

Police shot a "flash-bang" grenade at Hobbs, who was "prone/face down" at that point, the complaint said. It exploded, setting Hobbs on fire and causing third-degree burns. Hobbs was burned on her right leg from ankle to mid-thigh, her left inner thigh, and the bottoms of her feet.

A paramedic treated Hobbs and inquired about other injured people. Police "falsely informed the medic that no other medical treatment was needed," the complaint said.

Police instructed Steward to clean up his face, dropped him off at Regions Hospital's emergency room and confiscated the pillowcase they'd used to cover his bloodied face.

Officers found no cocaine in their search of the apartment. They found a handgun and stun gun in a bedroom and shotguns in closets, according to the warrant's inventory receipt. Police also found a bag of marijuana (2.8 grams; 0.09 ounce) and a digital scale, the receipt said.

Neither Steward, Hobbs nor the man who was the subject of the search warrant was charged in the case.

Steward and Hobbs sued the city of St. Paul, Yunker and officers "John Doe," whose names weren't known. Both sides later agreed to dismiss Yunker and name only the city of St. Paul as a defendant.

Yunker, a St. Paul officer since 2000, was assigned to the Western District FORCE unit at the time he obtained the warrant and is now a canine officer. A police spokesman didn't have information Tuesday about whether there was an internal affairs investigation involving the search warrant case.

Yunker has one instance of discipline on his record -- a written reprimand for violating department policy in August 2010. He also has seven commendations, mostly thank-you letters, in his record.

Steward's criminal history shows a warrant for his arrest in a 2008 marijuana-possession case he was convicted in. He was convicted of a petty misdemeanor in 2008 for possessing marijuana and motor vehicle theft in 2003, court records show. Hobbs' record shows only traffic violations.

Last year, St. Paul paid $350,000 in five police misconduct cases, according to the city attorney's office.

Grewing said her office has "ongoing discussions with the police department about managing the city's risk" and works with the department on training.

The other $400,000 settlement in a St. Paul police case came in 2005; the city agreed to pay the family of Charles Craighead, killed by an officer in 2001. Craighead was struggling with a carjacker and had just wrestled a gun from him when the officer mistook him for the suspect and shot him.

David Hanners and Frederick Melo contributed to this report.

tod evans
11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm going to cheat and copy-n-paste from another thread...

There's not much I'd like to see during my lifetime in this country other than all of the people profiting from the "War on Drugs" unemployed and destitute. Every cop, every lawyer, judges, prison employees, federally funded "rehab centers", parole departments and all of the politicians pulling the strings.....

There's a very large portion of "Americas" (North and South) economy that's dependent on the "War on Drugs" and those who are dependent on the war have each ruined at least one families life if not dozens what with killings, arrests, felon status etc...

I would like nothing more than for each and every one of "them" to experience a portion of the misery they have inflicted on others...

Further attach a stigma similar to that attached to Nazi sympathizers to those who promoted a "War on Drugs", really a "War on Americans"..

jkr
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
when will the populous recognize
WE
ARE
AT
WAR
???

torchbearer
11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
of course, the police department has an insurance that will cover that... and the actual punitive damages against such actions will not even be felt by the offenders.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM
This isnt a war. Its more like a bunch of legalized street thugs who are allowed to get off of power trips and are given the toys to do it. Theyll go away as soon as the general public recognizes them as such. Legalize "drugs" and a lot of them will go away. Legalize not wearing seat belts or helmets and a lot of them will go away. etc...Instead of hating on cops, maybe people should work on changing hearts and minds about marijuana, seat belts, helmets, etc....This particular encounter stemmed from crack cocaine. How many people want to legalize crack cocaine? Not many. Until then, society will endorse these types of actions.

tod evans
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
This isnt a war. Its more like a bunch of legalized street thugs who are allowed to get off of power trips and are given the toys to do it. Theyll go away as soon as the general public recognizes them as such. Legalize "drugs" and a lot of them will go away. Legalize not wearing seat belts or helmets and a lot of them will go away. etc...Instead of hating on cops, maybe people should work on changing hearts and minds about marijuana, seat belts, helmets, etc....

I've been at this "legalization/no helmet laws" stuff since the '70's...

It's not just cops I would like to see held accountable, it is every person who has supported and profited from these wars on american citizens.

Snitches to the prez and everyone in between are all equally culpable.

I accept no middle ground, if a person isn't adamantly against the WOD then they tacitly support it in my book.

Americans who consume drugs are no less american and for the government and some of the citizens to declare "war" on them is atrocious!

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 01:37 PM
This isnt a war. Its more like a bunch of legalized street thugs who are allowed to get off of power trips and are given the toys to do it. Theyll go away as soon as the general public recognizes them as such. Legalize "drugs" and a lot of them will go away. Legalize not wearing seat belts or helmets and a lot of them will go away. etc...Instead of hating on cops, maybe people should work on changing hearts and minds about marijuana, seat belts, helmets, etc....This particular encounter stemmed from crack cocaine. How many people want to legalize crack cocaine? Not many. Until then, society will endorse these types of actions.

Officers found no cocaine in their search of the apartment.

My "hate" is well justified, when directed at big tough men in 100 lbs. of body armor that grenade old women and half burn them to death for not moving fast enough to suit them.

Fuck them.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM

The tide has changed and is changing. There wasnt really any popular source of truth exchange up until the mid-late 90s when the internet came along. A Ron Paul wouldnt have been possible if it wasnt for the internet. Marijuana legalization wouldnt have happened so soon (within ~10 years) if it wasnt for the internet. If we tackle issues like seat belt and helmet laws instead of griping about cops then liberty can start to get somewhere.

tod evans
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
This particular encounter stemmed from crack cocaine. How many people want to legalize crack cocaine? Not many. Until then, society will endorse these types of actions.

I jumped to fast and missed this addition.

I would like to see all drugs legalized every damn one of them including experimental pharmaceuticals to treat diseases.

Let the public become educated and take care of their own health, the government and especially the "Just-Us" system has no place being involved in medication whether it's penicillin or heroin.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
My "hate" is well justified, when directed at big tough men in 100 lbs. of body armor that grenade old women and half burn them to death for not moving fast enough to suit them.

Fuck them.

How does anger help the situation other than helping you vent for another day that will always arrive unless you take action to help legalize what they are after? It doesnt matter if there was or was not cocaine because its illegal status gives them an excuse either way. Why dont you channel your energy into legalizing drugs?

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
How does anger help the situation other than helping you vent for another day that will always arrive unless you take action to help legalize what they are after? It doesnt matter if there was or was not cocaine because its illegal status gives them an excuse either way. Why dont you channel your energy into legalizing drugs?

How do you know that these stories did not help influence people in CO and WA to vote in favor of legalizing weed?

That's my hope, among other things.

That, and to provide a constant warning to people how dangerous it is to let any of these criminal lunatics into your home, on your property or to speak to them.

I'm doing what I can, I hope you are as well.

If there is an issue with that, then don't read my threads.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
This isnt a war.

They call it a war.

They call themselves "warriors".

They have the tools of war.

They follow the tactics of war.

It's a war.

tod evans
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
It's a war waged on American citizens in America by Americans...

AGRP
11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Exactly.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
They call it a war.

It's a war.

They as in the guys who are hired by your neighbors to do the things youre angry about? If so, then you would be right.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM

I used to belong to ABATE before they went wishy washy.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 02:12 PM
They as in the guys who are hired by your neighbors to do the things youre angry about? If so, then you would be right.

Yes.

But let me ask: Am I wrong, somehow, for being angry about cops grenading old women or little girls?

Or blowing their heads off?

You aren't angry about that?

And it's my wife and I that are crazy?

Occam's Banana
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM
of course, the police department has an insurance that will cover that... and the actual punitive damages against such actions will not even be felt by the offenders.

Exactly. Water off a duck's back. And ironically, it's the taxpayers - read: the victims of police malfeasances - who will suffer the consequences.

They get to screw us ... and then they get to screw us for having screwed us. It's a sweet little setup, is it not?

tod evans
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Exactly. Water off a duck's back. And ironically, it's the taxpayers - read: the victims of police malfeasances - who will suffer the consequences.

They get to screw us ... and then they get to screw us for having screwed us. It's a sweet little setup, is it not?

But, but, cops pay "taxes" too.......

So how does this work, cop sucks tax tit, regurgitates a bit then swallows again and on rare occasions a mundane is permitted a gulp.

Have I got it?

youngbuck
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
A paramedic treated Hobbs and inquired about other injured people. Police "falsely informed the medic that no other medical treatment was needed," the complaint said. It is ridiculous that cops would "inform":rolleyes: a medic on the course of treatment, and even more ridiculous that the medic would listen to them. Chances are, any suggestion, recommendation, or information coming a cop is a bad idea.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes.

But let me ask: Am I wrong, somehow, for being angry about cops grenading old women or little girls?

Or blowing their heads off?

You aren't angry about that?

And it's my wife and I that are crazy?

Your anger should be directed toward your neighbors who funds these thugs to push their beliefs on others where there is no victim.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Your anger should be directed toward your neighbors who funds these thugs to push their beliefs on others where there is no victim.

In many ways it is.

But, in the final analysis, I have to reserve the bulk of it for the ones actually committing these atrocities.

My neighbor did not force that cop to pull the pin on that grenade.

In a police state, such that we now find ourselves in, the motivation for the raids is endless, if it wasn't drugs it would be something else.

Hell, I've posted stories about people getting tasered because their grass was too long.

"Just following orders" cuts no mustard with me.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
My neighbor did not force that cop to pull the pin on that grenade.

In a police state, such that we now find ourselves in, the motivation for the raids is endless, if it wasn't drugs it would be something else.

Hell, I've posted stories about people getting tasered because their grass was too long.

"Just following orders" cuts no mustard with me.

Without general acceptance of their actions and paychecks from your neighbors then they wouldn't be doing any of it regardless of "just following orders." If your community was educated then these cops would amount to nothing more than bouncers at a bar, tactical trainers, or paintball champions.

tod evans
11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Without general acceptance of their actions and paychecks from your neighbors then they wouldn't be doing any of it regardless of "just following orders." If your community was educated then these cops would amount to nothing more than bouncers at a bar, tactical trainers, or paintball champions.

You make it sound as though communities across the nation voluntarily hire and support their local police department.

This is not the case, if it were then none of us would have anything to bitch about.

Cut all federal money to local law enforcement and watch what happens, in the course of 1 fiscal quarter you'd see things move much closer to the system you portray.

As things stand very few police departments represent the neighborhoods they patrol, they represent Washington.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
They call it a war.

It's a war.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

We fund them as well. The funds are forcibly removed from us.

Their actions are not generally accepted. The just don't make the news.

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM

A valid point.

I'm still not sure what your beef is.

By pointing out these stories, by constantly highlighting and shedding light on these abuses and atrocities, isn't that what I'm doing?

Educating my neighbors?

Believe me, RPF is not the only recipient of these abuse stories.

My being, justifiably and righteously, angry at the cops committing these acts of terror, in no way changes that fact.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
You make it sound as though communities across the nation voluntarily hire and support their local police department.

This is not the case, if it were then none of us would have anything to bitch about.

Cut all federal money to local law enforcement and watch what happens, in the course of 1 fiscal quarter you'd see things move much closer to the system you portray.

As things stand very few police departments represent the neighborhoods they patrol, they represent Washington.

Most if not all laws were voted into law by your neighbors. From what I notice, a majority of people arent complaining about seat belt laws, helmet laws, or victimless crimes and if you get caught then you better pay up and do the time for doing the crime. If you dont pay up and have a huge traffic ticket fine, well then you deserve to be behind bars and have your home/car seized. The recent marijuana legalization laws came about by educating the general public. I guess Im living in a different world.

Occam's Banana
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
If your community was educated then these cops would amount to nothing more than bouncers at a bar, tactical trainers, or paintball champions.

I am very skeptical of this. Most people will eat whatever is put on their plates. Especially when it isn't *their* grandmas being burned up, or household pets being shot, or whatever.

It's a submissive & excusatory attitude best summed up & illustrated in the phrase, "If you haven't done anything wrong, you haven't got anything to worry about."

tod evans
11-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Most if not all laws were voted into law by your neighbors. From what I notice, a majority of people arent complaining about seat belt laws, helmet laws, or victimless crimes and if you get caught then you better pay up and do the time for doing the crime. If you dont pay up and have a huge traffic ticket fine, well then you deserve to be behind bars and have your home/car seized. The recent marijuana legalization laws came about by educating the general public. I guess Im living in a different world.

I'm very grateful to live in a small tight-knit community and I can assure you that our community was one that helped stop helmet law legislation from getting off the ground in my state.

Personally I drive a '56 to avoid the seat belt laws that are national now, and my neighbors as well as myself all vote against any type of "drug" legislation..

That said the closest "city" has a police force that is not elected and is funded primarily by federal monies, their "cops" are a different breed altogether than the county cops who serve under an elected official..

I don't quite get your assertion that if a person refuses to wear a seat belt and doesn't pay the state that they should be imprisoned and loose their home...Do you think this is right?

AGRP
11-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm still not sure what your beef is.

By pointing out these stories, by constantly highlighting and shedding light on these abuses and atrocities, isn't that what I'm doing?

My being, justifiably and righteously, angry at the cops committing these acts of terror, in no way changes that fact.

I dont have a beef. If its change you want, you are going about it the wrong way, by attacking the actions of cops. Their actions will never change. If they were allowed to have nukes, then Im sure they would use them too. Cops will always be thugs. We will never change that.

You irradiate cancer by preventing it. Not by blindly waiting for it to occur and then attack it for occurring. The focus should be on why they are allowed to take action in the first place.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont have a beef. If its change you want, you are going about it the wrong way, by attacking the actions of cops. Their actions will never change. If they were allowed to have nukes, then Im sure they would use them too. Cops will always be thugs. We will never change that.

I would say their actions have changed over the last 40 years. I recall many stories of cops driving people home who they thought were too drunk to drive.

I bet if we charted no knock night raids over the last 40 years, we would see a sharp increase.

What on earth makes you think their actions haven't changed?

Anti Federalist
11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

You irradiate cancer by preventing it. Not by blindly waiting for it to occur and then attack it for occurring. The focus should be on why they are allowed to take action in the first place.

So how do you convince your friends and neighbors that cops are not benevolent protectors, but are, in fact, thugs?

By continually and ceaselessly pointing out their thuggish behavior.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
So how do you convince your friends and neighbors that cops are not benevolent protectors, but are, in fact, thugs?

If their belief system dictates that "druggies" and prostitutes belong in cages as their form of treatment and way to get them off the streets then they will gladly put up with their thuggish behavior.

LibForestPaul
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM

wouldn't a war require both parties to be up at arms. wouldn't this be more akin to pillaging or sacking.

kcchiefs6465
11-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Record tying? Hell when I read the title of the thread I figured it would be at least a multimillion dollar settlement. Four hundred thousand for being set on fire? Seems to me they got off pretty easy. In local news.. a cop who pulled his service weapon aiming at a man and threatening to execute him while "not thinking twice about it," is getting his job back. Apparently his PTSD made his actions "defensible" and he was wrongfully terminated. Chalk up another hundred thousand in the red for a city who is already, for all intents and purposes, bankrupt.

kcchiefs6465
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Call the police on them?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I would say their actions have changed over the last 40 years. I recall many stories of cops driving people home who they thought were too drunk to drive.

I bet if we charted no knock night raids over the last 40 years, we would see a sharp increase.

What on earth makes you think their actions haven't changed?

AGRP... What on earth makes you think their actions haven't changed? You can really make some headway here. Change my mind. I'd love to believe that cops are just cops and nothing has changed. I don't think you can find convincing evidence of that being true.

bunklocoempire
11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Maybe I missed it, but is the $400,000.00 along with hospital fees? Seems those treating those injuries then, and for life, would be a good chunk of change even with insurance.

Just curious.

I don't believe $400,000.00 is even close enough to begin with, and I certainly don't agree that those responsible (long list) are getting the punishment they deserve.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 08:55 PM
AGRP... What on earth makes you think their actions haven't changed? You can really make some headway here. Change my mind. I'd love to believe that cops are just cops and nothing has changed. I don't think you can find convincing evidence of that being true.

Their actions may have changed as styles have come and go, but theyve never changed in spirit. Cops have always reflected the will of the people. These days I see videos of cops kidnapping marijuana smokers in NH because they smoke in public. I believe NH locals approve of the cops actions. Do you believe they did or allowed the following on their own without the consent of the people?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfdvv7C3HAjiejWAz3nsFy6ur_rW0VG ORo9i48W3lbOhy7ArBMA1Orz9ZmIw

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q-xv-FXjroY/Te5m98vlVtI/AAAAAAAABpk/zi2Sz4LU2RI/s400/voting_start_04.jpg

http://voiceofdetroit.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Blacks-lynched-in-South-in-1930.jpg

http://www.amistadresource.org/LBimages/image_08_05_020_R07-2010.jpg

http://remonstrator.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/birmingham_campaign_water_hoses.jpeg?w=584

http://hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/martin-luther-king-being-arrested.jpg

amy31416
11-15-2012, 09:07 PM
A non-violent way to help minimize these terrorist attacks might be to have people on the "inside"--meaning working as cops, so they can (at least) warn the people who are about to be victimized.

Obviously that's quite a long-term plan though, if it's a plan at all. Not very many of us could stomach being a cop.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Their actions may have changed as styles have come and go, but theyve never changed in spirit. Cops have always reflected the will of the people. These days I see videos of cops kidnapping marijuana smokers in NH because they smoke in public. I believe NH locals approve of the cops actions. Do you believe they did or allowed the following on their own without the consent of the people?

Maybe I have a better view of humanity. Or maybe I'm just surrounded by people who would not approve of that, nor their current behavior.

I don't know what cops are doing in NH. But where I live, the criminals are smart enough to yell "police" when they kick in doors. They won't talk it on the news much, but it's been that way for quite awhile.

Qdog
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I have news for you guys... its not the cops that pay these huge settlements. Its the taxpayers. The "city" of St. Paul settled in this case. That means they pay. They get their money from the taxpayers. That is how it works.

RockEnds
11-17-2012, 11:37 AM
when will the populous recognize
WE
ARE
AT
WAR
???

I picked up on that in the '80s. I blame Steppenwolf. Well, at lest in part. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoEmlxUPeQ

We've certainly declared total war on the pusher man. And everyone else.

Occam's Banana
11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I have news for you guys... its not the cops that pay these huge settlements. Its the taxpayers. The "city" of St. Paul settled in this case. That means they pay. They get their money from the taxpayers. That is how it works.

Not news to me ... (or to anyone else, I imagine):

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Not news to me ... (or to anyone else, I imagine):

If it is news to anyone, a simple accounting of payments would fix that. It actually points out the problem... that cops are often not accountable for their own behavior. Not in the media. Not in restitution. Not in conviction for criminal offenses, and not even in their own minds. Pretty fucked up, huh?

Seems like I can imagine a fairly easy solution that all cops would be against. Wanna take a guess Qdog?