PDA

View Full Version : Who should we back for 2016?

Athan
11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Dr. Ron Paul
Dr. Rand Paul
Gary Johnson
Tom Woods
Chuck Baldwin
Other (Post your choice below)

sailingaway
11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I always want Ron to run. I'm not holding my breath for it, though.

Cabal
11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I nominate liberty.

sailingaway
11-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I nominate liberty.

I like this ^^

BuddyRey
11-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Tom Woods probably doesn't want to run for public office, but he would be an absolute triple-threat to the establishment, not only because of the cocky sort of charisma he could bring to debates (full of great one-liners), but also because of the phenomenal breadth of his knowledge of American history and political economy, along with his youth and many scholarly and literary accolades. He is uniquely qualified among libertarians to be the guy to "mainstream" our ideas without watering them down, IMO.

Occam's Banana
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Tom Woods probably doesn't want to run for public office, but he would be an absolute triple-threat to the establishment, not only because of the cocky sort of charisma he could bring to debates (full of great one-liners), but also because of the phenomenal breadth of his knowledge of American history and political economy, along with his youth and many scholarly and literary accolades. He is uniquely qualified among libertarians to be the guy to "mainstream" our ideas without watering them down, IMO.

I'd wet myself if Woods ran for anything. Alas! He's already said he won't, because there's no chance he could win (that whole "anarchist" bugaboo ...).

matt0611
11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Tom Woods is never going to run for public office, especially not President. If you thought "the newsletters" were bad...

I love the guy, but its never gonna happen.

Out of those choices, Rand.

BuddyRey
11-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Tom Woods is never going to run for public office, especially not President. If you thought "the newsletters" were bad...

I love the guy, but its never gonna happen.

Out of those choices, Rand.

I never said he'd win, or even that he'd run...only that, of the above listed candidates, he is by far the most qualified, most principled, and most deserving of the mantle of "intellectual heir" to Ron Paul.

Peace&Freedom
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
As a prolific writer, Woods would immediately get into too much trouble over his un-PC comments in past columns and books. The more provocative a wordsmith you are, the more ammo you give to your enemies. Would be a blast to see him run, though. Same for Judge Napolitano, who has also said he's not running. What a mind, but what a minefield!

11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Ron is retired, I hope he enjoys it. Rand is the most viable choice to present so far. That could change. I have no problem supporting Gary if there is no other viable choice, I voted for him, but don't pretend the LP is electable.

Ben Bernanke
11-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Where is the Lindsey Graham option?

:D

Paulistinian
11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I'd like it to be Rand/LePage for the final ticket..

11-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Oh, I like that one!

Keith and stuff
11-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll wait to see who runs before I decide who to back.

Origanalist
11-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Where is the Lindsey Graham option?

:D

Graham/McCain?

trey4sports
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Rand is best-positioned to win. No one even comes close. The only other guy who could even get on the board would be Justin Amash.

FrankRep
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
I already have my Rand Paul 2016 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQL45PS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00BQL45PS&linkCode=as2&tag=libert0f-20) bumper sticker.

qh4dotcom
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
What happened to Ron Paul 2012 or BUST?

parocks
11-14-2012, 09:03 PM

That'd be great.

Dianne
11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Jeb Bush is going to be President in 2016.... don't waste your time... Already pre-determined... work on other things.... like finding a home to buy in Ecuador .. United States is history... there are no elections in this country anymore.

Cabal
11-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Convictions are malleable.

Number19
11-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I voted for other, with two gentlemen in mind. First would be Judge Napolitano and second would be Jacob Hornsburger

QWDC
11-15-2012, 02:16 AM

Oh we busted, but then we headed over to the Fed for a bailout and just like that we were back in business.

american.swan
11-15-2012, 02:21 AM
We should somewhat ignore 2016. We have work to do for 2014 midterm elections.

WarAnonymous
11-15-2012, 02:42 AM
We should somewhat ignore 2016. We have work to do for 2014 midterm elections.

+Rep

This. So many key elections for everyone to work on in 2014, local/state, US Congress, etc

RonPaulFanInGA
11-15-2012, 03:27 AM
How many variations of this exact same thread and poll will be posted on RonPaulForums over the course of the next 2.5 years?

John F Kennedy III
11-15-2012, 03:38 AM
How many variations of this exact same thread and poll will be posted on RonPaulForums over the course of the next 2.5 years?

Victory in December? I feel like I found one of those eggs...

Dick Chaney
11-15-2012, 06:51 AM
I'll be voting for or writing in Jesse Ventura, and don't even bother criticizing me, because I'm just going to ignore you.

July
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I love Tom Woods, but I don't want him to run for office... not even just because he'd have to tone it down or that he'd be attacked for controversial statements, but because he's much more valuable and effective doing what he is doing. I support his educational projects. I like Tom because he is an effective (and entertaining) teacher. That's his talent.

dean.engelhardt
11-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Love Ron Paul, but doubt he'll run. If he does he has my full backing. Rand would be an excellent president, but I voted Gary Johnson in this poll. The counrty would be so much better with a strong thrid party.

That said if Rand runs, it would hard for me not to jump on board. He has such a good chance to win it and if not, keep the movement alive. I do not trust the GOP.

fisharmor
11-15-2012, 07:47 AM
So admins, given that Ron Paul Forums no longer supports Ron Paul, are you gonna get the DNS changed so it's official?

RonPaulFanInGA
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
So admins, given that Ron Paul Forums no longer supports Ron Paul, are you gonna get the DNS changed so it's official?

Really? The eleven votes Ron Paul has is pretty shocking, considering there ain't no chance in Hell he is running for President in 2016.

Must be the same crowd that insisted in July that Ron Paul could still win the GOP nomination.

Jon311
11-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Dr. Rand Paul

NOVALibertarian
11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Honestly, if we're serious about winning, it's Dr. Rand Paul or bust in 2016.

Ron is retired. He has done his part and has planted the seeds of liberty into the minds of millions and millions of Americans in the past four years and will continue to do so when he visits college campuses around the nation. It's time for those seeds to grow into something prosperous under Rand Paul. Everyone else mentioned wouldn't even get into the debates, much less win the Presidency.

It's a damn shame that people are judging Rand based upon the stuff he says in the press (such as endorsing Romney) and not his actual voting record, which is nearly perfect. If he fights the party the entire way like Ron did, he would be given the same treatment that Ron received during the primaries and at the convention. He knows this, and that is why he's not fighting them at every step of the way. His goal is to win and he has a real shot at it.

Peace&Freedom
11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Really? The eleven votes Ron Paul has is pretty shocking, considering there ain't no chance in Hell he is running for President in 2016.

Must be the same crowd that insisted in July that Ron Paul could still win the GOP nomination.

But you'll have to admit, not even the most cynical of us imagined beforehand that the GOP leaders would so brazenly cheat the Paul supporters on national television. I still see one scenario for Ron running in 2016--that is, on the Libertarian line, announcing his run soon after Rand announces he's running for the GOP nomination, or else right after hack Republicans try to cheat Rand out of primary/caucus victories. The point would be to 1) let the world know there would definitely be at least one Paul on the ballot in NOVEMBER 2016, 2) punish the GOP for vote rigging, and 3) totally eliminate the party's rank and file perception that the establishment-chosen frontrunner was "electable."

To break the spell of inevitability always coated over the establishment's anointed one, the well has to be poisoned from the start. With Ron Paul on the third party line, Rand Paul will simply have a much better chance to win, without he himself blackmailing the party or breaking its rules. Once Rand is then properly unobstructed from winning the nomination, by mid-spring 2016 Ron could pull out of the LP race prior to its convention, leaving the way clear for Rand to win the election. If the GOP still cheated Rand, Ron stays on the LP line through November. Either way, we get to vote for a Paul on Election Day.

Occam's Banana
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Interesting question! Someone should start a poll ...

I love Tom Woods, but I don't want him to run for office... not even just because he'd have to tone it down or that he'd be attacked for controversial statements, but because he's much more valuable and effective doing what he is doing. I support his educational projects. I like Tom because he is an effective (and entertaining) teacher. That's his talent.

Agree 100%. LibertyClassroom.com kicks ass.

The Dude
11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Rand (depending on his record between now and then) and Gary if he runs again.

BuddyRey
11-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Hey, two other people besides me voted for Tom Woods also? That's awesome! :D

You guys should reveal yourselves to me via PM, because we need to combine our forces and get the Tom Woods for House/Senate/President, etc. train rolling!

clint4liberty
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I will not support Gary Johnson for President in 2016. I will support Rand Paul if he runs for the GOP Nomination in 2016. The GOP insiders already have narrowed the Republican ticket to Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, and Chris Christie. It will be extremely difficult for the Republican Party establishment to resist a Bush. The Republican Establishment is determined to lose a third Presidential election in a row.

Mini-Me
11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Assuming all of those choices were looking to run, I'd first back Ron, then Rand, then Woods. Woods is more uncompromisingly libertarian than Rand (mostly in word and very slightly in deed), and I would LOVE to support him for any other office, but 2016 would be a wasted opportunity if he ran, since he's never set foot in politics (and he does so much good elsewhere as well). Gary Johnson and Chuck Baldwin are my, "Eh, if there's nobody better on the ballot" protest vote guys.

Realistically, I believe Rand is most likely to step forward. I'd vote for Ron in this poll, but it honestly wouldn't be fair to demand that he run a third time, as much as I'd like it...so I'll abstain.

JohnM
11-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Voted for Tom Woods.

But that was a heart vote, rather than a head vote. Tom is not a politician. Realistically, it has to be Rand.