PDA

View Full Version : The Liberty Swing Vote - The GOP reboot starts with recognizing libertarians' success.

Lucille
11-14-2012, 04:27 PM
The Liberty Swing Vote
The GOP reboot starts with recognizing libertarians' success.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-liberty-swing-vote/

It was a disappointing election for Republicans—but not all Republicans.

Michigan Rep. Justin Amash, an emerging “Dr. No” in the House, was re-elected by a comfortable margin. In a neighboring congressional district, Kerry Bentivolio won a full term, succeeding Thad McCotter. Rand Paul ally Thomas Massie was elected to replace retired Kentucky Rep. Geoff Davis.

Groups like the Republican Liberty Caucus were pleased by the election of Ted Yoho in Florida. Yoho defeated longtime incumbent Rep. Cliff Stearns in the GOP primary earlier this year. Steve Stockman, a one-and-done veteran of the ’94 elections, returned to Congress as the representative of Texas’s newly drawn 36th district.

The “liberty movement” also backed the successful Senate candidacies of Ted Cruz in Texas and Jeff Flake in Arizona. Flake was a rare House Republican who voted against the Medicare prescription drug benefit, No Child Left Behind, and the Wall Street bailout. Cruz’s opposition to the National Defense Authorization Act and calls to eliminate the TSA won him the endorsements of Ron and Rand Paul.

That’s not even counting the re-election of longtime stalwarts like Reps. Walter Jones of North Carolina and Jimmy Duncan of Tennessee. Overall, Ron Paul Republicans—and other conservative GOP politicos who actively sought libertarian support—did better than the party as a whole.

More at the link

bunklocoempire
11-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for posting. Good stuff to pass around.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-14-2012, 05:38 PM
There's gonna be a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing trying to act like liberate candidates.

Brett85
11-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm with this movement and will support libertarian candidates as long as they're pro life. Even if a candidate was pro open borders, I'd still vote for that candidate as long as they are pro life. But, it concerns me that more and more people keep saying that Republicans have to become pro choice in order to win women voters and win elections. If that happens, I'll leave the party and join the Constitution Party. I won't support a party that doesn't believe in defending both life and liberty.

trey4sports
11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
well, voters are trending towards pro-life positions so im not sure why the gop would trend the other way.

Brett85
11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
well, voters are trending towards pro-life positions so im not sure why the gop would trend the other way.

The polls have swung towards the pro choice side since the Akin and Mourdock comments. It seems as though those two hurt the pro life movement. I hope the damage isn't permanent.

Occam's Banana
11-14-2012, 06:23 PM
There's gonna be a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing trying to act like liberate candidates.

Which makes it even more important than ever that we pay attention to the things that actually matter - like voting records & introduced legislation (rather than things like rhetoric & endorsements, which don't matter).