PDA

View Full Version : Only in NH: Anarchist Democrat Elected as State Rep in Manchester

muzzled dogg
11-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Congratulations to Free State Project participant Tim O’Flaherty for winning his state representative race in Manchester. Tim self-describes as an anarchist and has won as a Democrat in a race against a small government Republican, who happens to be Tim’s roommate, Dan Garthwaite, another early mover for the FSP.

Comedy central even ran a campaign profile on Tim. http://www.indecisionforever.com/blog/2012/11/06/one-of-a-kind-candidate-tim-oflaherty-state-representative-manchester-nh

http://freekeene.com/2012/11/13/only-in-nh-anarchist-democrat-elected-as-state-rep-in-manchester/

Keith and stuff
11-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, anarchist Republicans also win in New Hampshire. This is different because he is a Democratic and he publicly said he was an anarchist. He also said he is into S&M and indicated that his roommate is gay. I don't know if those things are true. It is nice to see a self-described gay anarchist elected in New Hampshire, though.

On another note, a self-described transgendered person was elected as a state rep. in New Hampshire.

People don't get it but New Hampshire is a very socially tolerant place. It has the highest self-described LGBT population (per capita) in the country. The exit polls showed people support same sex government marriage 65% to 35% - I'm pretty sure the highest margin of the states with exit polls. Even the Republican candidate for governor said he was open to talking about the idea of getting the government out of marriage altogether.

New Hampshire's proud transgendered state rep. elect, Stacie Laughton.
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/853736/thumbs/r-STACIE-LAUGHTON-large570.jpg?4

Marla Brettschneider, a University of New Hampshire political science professor, said Laughton’s election is a remarkable moment in terms of the election itself and that it took until 2012 for a transgender person to crack the Statehouse.

“It’s very important,” Brettschneider said. “It’s a really historic moment for (Nashua) and New Hampshire and the nation to start to really reimagine what citizenship and leadership can look like.”
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/982833-469/with-state-representive-win-laughton-states-first.html

Keith and stuff
11-14-2012, 09:31 PM
You can Like Tim's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/PublicPage.of.TimothyRyanOFlaherty

Smart3
11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
It's stuff like this that make me really want to move to NH.

pochy1776
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I really don't see how thsi is a good thing for new Hampshire. Oh Well, As long as they don't shove "rights" down my throat.

Keith and stuff
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I really don't see how thsi is a good thing for new Hampshire. Oh Well, As long as they don't shove "rights" down my throat.

What is wrong with Tim? He is a nice Irish guy.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533860_4846292804730_1495237454_n.jpg

trey4sports
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
liberty is alive and well in NH.

I saw Andy Sanborn won as well. That is great news. Keep it going guys.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, anarchist Republicans also win in New Hampshire. This is different because he is a Democratic and he publicly said he was an anarchist. He also said he is into S&M and indicated that his roommate is gay. I don't know if those things are true. It is nice to see a self-described gay anarchist elected in New Hampshire, though.

On another note, a self-described transgendered person was elected as a state rep. in New Hampshire.

People don't get it but New Hampshire is a very socially tolerant place. It has the highest self-described LGBT population (per capita) in the country. The exit polls showed people support same sex government marriage 65% to 35% - I'm pretty sure the highest margin of the states with exit polls. Even the Republican candidate for governor said he was open to talking about the idea of getting the government out of marriage altogether.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/982833-469/with-state-representive-win-laughton-states-first.html
Gender identity isn't very convincing in photo

Cabal
11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Anarchist. Democract. Elected.

<insert jackie chan meme here>

pochy1776
11-14-2012, 10:31 PM
What is wrong with Tim? He is a nice Irish guy.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533860_4846292804730_1495237454_n.jpg
I was talking about gay rights and social "tolenrance" i am aware that won't seep into their policy making.

angelatc
11-14-2012, 10:43 PM

I was there until the second picture. Dude, if you're going to look like a lady, at least try.

Keith and stuff
11-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I was there until the second picture. Dude, if you're going to look like a lady, at least try.

I think Stacie considers herself a woman. Anyway, she isn't part of the FSP or a liberty person or anything. I just brought her up to point out that anyone can get elected in NH. You can be an anarchist, an atheist, or transgendered. The people of NH tend to be very socially tolerant compared to pretty much everywhere else I've been.

Smart3
11-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Anarchist. Democract. Elected.

<insert jackie chan meme here>

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30237338.jpg

Dr.3D
11-14-2012, 11:18 PM
What next?
Anarchist Democratic Republican Atheist Baptist elected?

John F Kennedy III
11-15-2012, 12:43 AM

That is awesome :)

I <3 NH

John F Kennedy III
11-15-2012, 12:48 AM
What next?

Black Transgender Satanist Republican elected Governor of Arkansas.

AGRP
11-15-2012, 01:22 AM

Probably the funniest description Ive read in quite a while, if ever.

Murray N Rothbard
11-15-2012, 07:48 AM
"Anarchist democrat"... :rolleyes:

The more bizarre these libertarian candidates get the greater hope I have people are waking up. The more "reasonable" moderates and centrists have historically usually been the most destructive elected officials.

itshappening
11-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Larry McDonald was a Democrat.

The last good one in Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_McDonald

Keith and stuff
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
A whole article about Tim in the New Hampshire state newspaper.

November 14. 2012 11:20PM
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Anarchy in Ward 5? Well, not exactly
MARK HAYWARD
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121115/LOCALVOICES08/121119494

Only parts of the article are posted. Click on the link to read the full article.

Consider Tim O'Flaherty, a Manchester resident of 11 months who was elected a state rep in the inner city Ward 5. O'Flaherty, a Free Stater who describes himself as an anarchist, has raised alarm bells.

"We believe the Free State Project is extreme, and Tim O'Flaherty is one of the most extreme examples of the movement we've seen," said Zandra Rice Hawkins, director of Granite State Progress, an organization backed by labor, voting rights and abortion-rights groups.

She points to blogs where O'Flaherty said he doesn't support Social Security, Medicare, the armed forces or public roads. He has blogged that he's an anarchist, and that there should not even be a state.

O'Flaherty said he was surprised to win the Democratic primary over Richard Komi, a former state rep who was voted out of office in 2010. O'Flaherty won the contest by one vote. He said Komi may have suffered from name problems; his name is similar to Joseph Kony, the Ugandan guerilla leader whose capture was encouraged by the Kony 2012 effort, a viral Internet video.

O'Flaherty's campaign literature calls for reduced spending, individual responsibility and protection of constitutional liberties. The backside encourages people to donate to Shire Sharing, an effort to raise money for the needy. Nowhere is Free State or anarchy mentioned; O'Flaherty said one doesn't get elected campaigning as an anarchist.

Granite State Progress dropped fliers in Ward 5 on election day to alert voters to O'Flaherty's beliefs, but he easily won, coming in second in the race for two seats.

"I feel it strange they should want to demonize Free Staters so much," he said about Granite State Progress. "We have a lot of common ground with the political left."

Ed Osborne, the longtime alderman in Ward 5, said a Free Stater ran against him last year. Like O'Flaherty, Mike Segal didn't mention his Free State allegiance, Osborne said. He said many people in his ward, especially Democrats, vote party line.

"I don't think 75 percent (of voters) know what the Free State Project is. Free Stater, free skater - I don't pay much attention to it either," Osborne said.

O'Flaherty said he grew up poor, the only child of a single mom who works in a florist shop in Reading, Pa. He worked in the hotel industry before moving to New Hampshire in 2009 as part of the Free State movement. He said his anti-war leanings drew him to the Free State movement.

Since moving to Manchester, he's been mugged, but he did not report the crime to police. ("What's the best outcome? A prison cell? It's torture; it would not restore justice at all.")

He also spent a weekend in jail; he said he did not realize his driver's license expired. ("It's pretty ridiculous to be arrested for not having your paperwork in order.")

Kathy Sullivan, a New Hampshire Democratic leader and Democratic National Committee member, has criticized Republicans in the past for their embrace of Free Staters. But Donald Manning, chairman of Manchester City Democrats, said he's met O'Flaherty and that his critics should sit down and talk to him.

Although O'Flaherty has a libertarian streak, Manning said he does not think he wants to tear down state government.

"I think he's right in step with the people of Ward 5," Manning said. "I have no reason to suspect otherwise."

youngbuck
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Where is the :barf: emoticon?! We need an update to the forum!

Keith and stuff
11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
The best part of the story has not even been brought up here.

So Tim tied in the Democratic Primary with an opponent. There was a recount. Tim won by 1 vote, his own vote. That's right, if just 1 gay anarchist didn't vote for himself, he would have lost the election. Because the anarchist voted for himself, he is now a state representative.

At least in NH, it is important that ever anarchist votes because you never know when there will be a hand recount and your anarchist vote will decide the election.

Keith and stuff
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Your Vote Counts in NH: Anarchist Wins by One Vote in Manchester
November 15, 2012
Ian
http://freekeene.com/2012/11/15/your-vote-counts-in-nh-anarchist-wins-by-one-vote-in-manchester/

As reported here previously, Free State Project participant Tim O’Flaherty was elected in Manchester’s Ward 5 as a Democrat and open anarchist. He won the race against a Republican small-government Free State Project participant.

Now, thanks to a Union Leader piece, we learn more about Tim O’Flaherty including that he won his primary against a run-of-the-mill Democrat by one vote.

It’s not the first time and won’t be the last that a vote has been so close in NH. Your vote may not matter a whit at the national level, but it definitely does at the local and state level here in NH. All those activists who have given up voting out of frustration really need to think again.

NIU Students for Liberty
11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd be curious to See Stefan Molyneux's take on an anarchist not just running, but winning his race.

Keith and stuff
11-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd be curious to See Stefan Molyneux's take on an anarchist not just running, but winning his race.

And winning his race by 1 vote, by HIS vote :)

John F Kennedy III
11-16-2012, 08:42 PM
And winning his race by 1 vote, by HIS vote :)

Great story :)

Keith and stuff
11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Now Reason is in on the action.

Anarchist Defeats Minarchist in New Hampshire Election
Jesse Walker|Nov. 19, 2012 2:20 pm
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/19/anarchist-defeats-minarchist-in-new-hamp

When Ward 5 of Manchester, New Hampshire, elected a delegate to the state legislature this month, its voters rejected a Republican from the Free State Project who favors a minimal government. Instead they picked Tim O'Flaherty, a Democrat from the Free State Project who favors the abolition of government altogether. In the words of the Manchester Union-Leader: "O'Flaherty ran against a fellow Free Stater, housemate Dan Garthwaite, whom O'Flaherty called a statist."

Even in New Hampshire there are the silly where's the statist or where in the world is the statist and who's the statist debates. Of course, in this case, someone actually got elected :)

FrankRep
11-28-2012, 07:43 AM

That is awesome :)

I <3 NH

Awesome Job Democrats! Elected another Criminal!

NH: First Elected Transgender Resigns Before Taking Office (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?396910-NH-First-Elected-Transgender-Resigns-Before-Taking-Office)

The Laconia Daily Sun reported over the weekend that Laughton is a felon. No one discovered Laughton’s criminal history until after the election, though, because she was legally named Barry Charles Laughton, Jr. when she pleaded guilty to criminal charges in court.

“Laughton, recently elected as one of three lawmakers to represent Hillsborough County House District 31, is a convicted felon and served 4-1/2 months in jail in 2008 for conspiracy to commit credit card fraud,” The Laconia Daily Sun reports. “She was also convicted of tire slashing and at one point reportedly admitted she faked illness to gain an ambulance ride from Weirs Beach back to the heart of Laconia.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/27/first-ever-transgender-elected-official-resigns-after-felony-past-discovered/#ixzz2DUXKYnMa

Keith and stuff
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, criminals are often elected in NH. There is nothing wrong with a criminal running for office, as long as the criminal has done his or her time.

Unfortunately, Stacie Laughton didn't want to go to prison for welfare fraud. That make sense but her trial would have been interesting. I'd love to hear her lawyer explain how someone could be disabled and collecting welfare for not being able to work, while being a full time worker. She could have had 100s of additional articles about her.

S.Shorland
11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
'Unelectable Ron Paul elected.'

What next?

Keith and stuff
11-28-2012, 08:42 PM
She seems determined to fight all of the potential charges against her. I can think of at least 5 charges that might be pressed against her. I wish her luck!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/16105_10151242066762211_1681459116_n.png

muzzled dogg
12-05-2012, 07:36 AM
NH Produces Weirdest Political Story of 2012, All Time

By Tim Murphy on Thu. November 29, 2012 6:57 AM PDT

Democrats won big on election night in New Hampshire. They held onto the governor's office, took back two seats in Congress, and won control of the state house of representatives. But for progressives, the victories went even deeper than that: At least four seats in the legislature went to activists with the Occupy Wall Street satellite, Occupy New Hampshire. Granite State progressive blogger Bill Tucker catches the group touting its success on Facebook: "We aren't going to reveal names, they can if they want. But we have 4 or 5 people who were very involved Occupiers, and another handful who were part of the network—either already Reps or newly elected. We got juice—or maybe just a little pulp."

How did this happen? It's largely a consequence of the state's uniquely enormous legislature. At 400 members (for 1.3 million people) it's the third-largest legislative body in the English-speaking world, and you only need about a thousand votes to win a seat.

With the election wins, New Hampshire becomes the first state where Occupiers have secured an actual foothold in the political arena. But they're not the only group of ideological activists who are winning elections in the Granite State; they're following the trail already blazed by members of the Free State Project, the movement to repopulate New Hampshire with libertarians and slowly turn the state into a small-government (or no-government) paradise. As I reported in a piece for the magazine last summer, the movement has finally begun to make inroads in the state legislature, winning seats—while often keeping their affiliation under wraps—and then getting to work deregulating margarine and de-funding high-speed rail. As conservatives struggled statewide this November, the libertarians held their own. Free State Project president Carla Gericke announced:

Over the past eight years, FSP participants who have become state representatives went from zero to 1, to four, to 12-14 in 2010, to eleven this cycle. We only have 1,100 movers on the ground. With only 5% of our goal movers in NH, political FSP participants held onto the status quo while Republicans got trounced. Baby steps, people. It ain't called a "project" for nothing!

Take, for example, the case of newly elected Rep. Tim O'Flaherty, a self-described "anarchist" who ran as a Democrat and edged out Republican challenger Dan Garthwaite in a Manchester district. As it happens, both O'Flaherty and Garthwaite are supporters of the Free State Project. They're also roommates. The two rivals live at "Porc Manor," a Manchester home that's become a flophouse of sorts for Free States. (Supporters called themselves "porcupines" because they bristle only when provoked.) A 2009 landlord manual for Porc Manor offers tip for renting to Free Staters, noting that, for instance, "A lot of porcupines will frown on deposits, mostly because they feel their status as acknowledged defenders of property rights makes them immune to the reasons landlords require deposits."

Their living arrangement served as fuel for perhaps the most unusual storyline in any election this year, or maybe ever. As the Manchester Union-Leader's Mark Hayward explained:

In one of the more bizarre moments in the campaign, O'Flaherty wrote to Comedy Central's election Internet site to say he and Garthwaite are lovers, and the election would decide certain role-playing aspects of their relationship. (We're talking dominance and jackboots here.)

But O'Flaherty, who is gay, said he doesn't know Garthwaite well, and he made the comments to undermine his opponent with his Republican base.

No really, this actually happened. Here's what O'Flaherty told Comedy Central's Dan Poppy in an email:

Things were hot and heavy when Dan and I first met and we found ourselves living in the same boarding house. We have had some heated political arguments but I haven't been able to persuade Dan to turn from his Statist beliefs. Lately we've been looking for ways to keep things interesting in the bedroom and we've been exploring some roleplaying. Dan likes to play the cop/thug, forcing me to lick his jackboot.

I've become concerned recently that our roleplaying was counter-revolutionary and contrary to my anarchist principles. Violent revolt was a looming prospect but Dan (the consummate Statist and devout believer in the Democratic Faith) suggested we put the matter to a vote. We agreed we would both run for State Representative but on opposite sides of the ticket, the winner gets to choose his role to play in the bedroom.

Now voters in Manchester's Ward 5 will decide the outcome. If Dan beats me in the election his Statist domination will continue unchecked. If voters should choose me they will quite literally be saying "Fu*% the State(ist)." Please tell your readers to spew their vitriol on my Facebook page.

In his interview with the Union-Leader, O'Flaherty also floated an unusual hypothesis for his primary victory over former state Rep. Richard Komi: "He said Komi may have suffered from name problems; his name is similar to Joseph Kony, the Ugandan guerilla leader whose capture was encouraged by the Kony 2012 effort, a viral Internet video."

On November 8th, when the vote count in Manchester's Ward 5 was made official, O'Flaherty hopped on Facebook with a simple but deliberate message for his supporters: "Victory is mine!" He added, "It was the best $2 i've ever spent!"

And with that, New Hampshire may have finally outdone itself.

http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/11/weirdest-political-campaign-ever-new-hampshire

Keith and stuff
12-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Maybe instead of creating this thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?397554-NH-Produces-Weirdest-Political-Story-of-2012-All-Time , I should have just posted the story in your thread. Oh well, too late now. Anyway, even better than the story was the comments. I'll repost 2 of the comments here. For the rest of the comments, click on the story or my like above, which I highly recommend.

dxmachina 11/30/2012 03:00 AM
i had a classmate in college who ran for, won a seat in, and served in, the NH lower house as a poli-sci project. She could only talk the relevant dean into giving her 6 credit hours for the experience. His argument was 'Hey, it's the NH lower house'.

Mongo Today 03:48 PM
Certain Republicans sent out a post card before the election to the Democrats in Tim's Ward, it said "Don't vote for that guy, he's not a real Democrat, he's an anarchist". The Democrats sent TWO people out to campaign against him, one asking voters to write another candidate's name in instead. And the voters in Ward 5 said screw that, we're voting for the anarchist! I am proud of Ward 5, and Tim was the best and funniest candidate of them all.