PDA

View Full Version : Majority support elimination of Electoral College

Lucille
11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Oh boy...

I am the 25%!

Majority support elimination of Electoral College
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/12/majority-support-elimination-of-electoral-college-video/

In a poll by Scott Rasmussen, 56 percent of likely voters said they support the idea of scrapping the Electoral College and allowing the president of the United States to be elected on the basis of whichever candidate wins the popular vote. Only 25 percent are in favor keeping the Electoral College.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/12/majority-support-elimination-of-electoral-college-video/#ixzz2C93iUxsY

youngbuck
11-13-2012, 04:41 PM
"Majorty support..."

And that's exactly why we have the electoral college!:)

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Not like it would make a difference, since Obama won both.

Zippyjuan
11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Gore would have defeated GW Bush.

Three other times we would have had a different president: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/prestrivia1.html

Andrew Jackson won the popular vote but lost the election to John Quincy Adams (1824); Samuel J. Tilden won the popular vote but lost the election to Rutherford B. Hayes (1876); Grover Cleveland won the popular vote but lost the election to Benjamin Harrison (1888);

UWDude
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM
It sure would make it feel like your vote counted again in 44 states.
I mean, if there were a real choice.

ShaneEnochs
11-13-2012, 05:29 PM
That's because the educational system doesn't teach this kind of shit. There's a reason we have it, and it's a very good reason.

Anti Federalist
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Yay, just what I want...NYC, LA, Chicago, and DC choosing the presidents from now on.

Yay, demo-crazy.

Cos, you know, direct election of Senators worked out so well.

Can somebody please secede for Christ's sake, so I don't have to leave North America...

FFS...

UWDude
11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Yay, just what I want...NYC, LA, Chicago, and DC choosing the presidents from now on.

Yay, demo-crazy.

Can somebody please secede for Christ's sake, so I don't have to leave North America...

FFS...

Liek it is any better having the voters of Alabama and Wyoming have more weight to their vote.

Stupid people vote stupidly, and eliminating the electoral college will not change that.

Anti Federalist
11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Liek it is any better having the voters of Alabama and Wyoming have more weight to their vote.

Stupid people vote stupidly, and eliminating the electoral college will not change that.

Won't get an argument from me on that.

Which is why I'm in favor of anything that puts that stupidity "in check", even if only in the slightest bit.

cindy25
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Not like it would make a difference, since Obama won both.

if done right, and electors were allocated by CD in PA, MI, OH, VA, WI, FL it would have been very close.

and this could be done quickly, by GOP legislatures and governors.

amazed Rove etc did not think of this

NoOneButPaul
11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Like I suggested before... keep it but do it by each district instead of each state with the Senators being awarded to the person who carried the most districts in the state.

This would make voting 1 out of 600k instead of 1 out of the state and would actually make voting relevant again in places that are hardcore blue or red.

We have to harp home the point to people who want the popular vote that the largest cities will basically control the entire process and middle America will get fucked even further.

I think if people really understood the importance of a republic vs a democracy these numbers would change quickly... right now this isn't much of a conversation so people just think... "Deeeer popular vote, we're a democracy!" and the results of the 2000 election are still fresh in people's heads.

What this tells me is we've got another issue to preach on...

John F Kennedy III
11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
if done right, and electors were allocated by CD in PA, MI, OH, VA, WI, FL it would have been very close.

and this could be done quickly, by GOP legislatures and governors.

amazed Rove etc did not think of this

Rove wanted Obama to win.

ClydeCoulter
11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
"Majorty support..."

And that's exactly why we have the electoral college!:)

Bingo...........and the delegate process.......and a constitution !

edit: "Extra, Extra, read all about it, the majority passes democracy", whua?

puppetmaster
11-14-2012, 12:08 AM
con con coming......before 2016?

James Madison
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Won't get an argument from me on that.

Which is why I'm in favor of anything that puts that stupidity "in check", even if only in the slightest bit.

There's a reason only property-owners where given the right to vote under the Constitution.

juleswin
11-14-2012, 12:54 AM
There's a reason only property-owners where given the right to vote under the Constitution.

And there lies the answer, change the electoral college, repeal the 17th amendment and it will change nothing. As long as the same fools who are voting for Governors/people who nominate candidates to the EC right now continue to vote, nothing will change What you need to do is change the type of people who get to vote. A janitor of a fortune 500 company doesn't get the same vote as the top shareholder, if he gets one at all. Yea, I know a country is not a company but everybody should not have the same vote.

So continue arguing about rearranging the chairs on "an about to collide with the iceberg" titanic is going to restore the republic and avert your eyes from the ice berg.

Big +rep

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-14-2012, 02:33 AM

If there is going to be democratic principles it should at least be as such: your privilege to vote is hereby revoked if you receive compensation or remuneration from any vestige, branch, or official of Government.

UWDude
11-14-2012, 02:41 AM
If there is going to be democratic principles it should at least be as such: your privilege to vote is hereby revoked if you receive compensation or remuneration from any vestige, branch, or official of Government.

veterans?

RonPaulFanInGA
11-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Wyoming? Really? Get rid of the Electoral College, and no one is going to pay attention to anything but urban areas. Urban areas prone to cheating too. Could you imagine the Chicago machine stacking up votes for a democratic candidate in a national popular vote election? Right now, there's no incentive for them to do that, because Illinois is a done-deal.

Then you have Christie in New Jersey allowing voting by fax and e-mail (http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/11/christie_administration_announ.html). With the Electoral College, you can laugh at something stupid like that. Without it, it becomes a serious controversy.

ghengis86
11-14-2012, 06:27 AM
veterans?

Yes, they get a pay check funded by the taxpayers and signed by uncle Sam

UWDude
11-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Wyoming? Really? Get rid of the Electoral College, and no one is going to pay attention to anything but urban areas.

Right now, no one pays attention to anything but urban areas in Florida and Ohio.
Not that I care. I don't. I prefer the electoral college. But saying stupid urbanites voting in cities is worse than stupid ruralites getting more weight to their votes doesn't convince me any that a pure plurality vote would be bad.

UWDude
11-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Yes, they get a pay check funded by the taxpayers and signed by uncle Sam

Veterans not having the right to vote because they get Vet benefits would never happen, in any democracy or republic, anywhere.

ghengis86
11-14-2012, 06:30 AM

Would that render this null and void

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.” ? Alexis de Tocqueville (29 July 1805 – 16 April 1859)

Travlyr
11-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I am proud to be in the 25%, but it doesn't make any difference in modern times. Goldman Sachs picks the president.

belian78
11-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Yay, demo-crazy.

FFS...
You could always personally succeed. Getting rid of the EC would be the last straw for me, I'd get my shit together and move off into the mountains somewhere.

UWDude
11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
You could always personally succeed. Getting rid of the EC would be the last straw for me, I'd get my shit together and move off into the mountains somewhere.

sounds like a plan, yo. You and all the other people with that plan.
The mountains really cannot support a large population of refugees. They are sparsely populated for a reason.

belian78
11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
sounds like a plan, yo. You and all the other people with that plan.
The mountains really cannot support a large population of refugees. They are sparsely populated for a reason.
Never said I'd try to get loads of people to go with me, that would have the exact opposite effect that I'd be going for in moving. If you're going to follow me around threads, atleast be a little more intelligent when you troll.

PaulConventionWV
11-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Yep. No more welfare voters.

PaulConventionWV
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Veterans not having the right to vote because they get Vet benefits would never happen, in any democracy or republic, anywhere.

In a real republic, they wouldn't get vet benefits.

PaulConventionWV
11-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Whatever you do, people, please, PLEASE...

STOP saying succeed when you mean secede.

belian78
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Whatever you do, people, please, PLEASE...

STOP saying succeed when you mean secede.
My apologies, it was written in haste at the onset of a particularly crappy day at work. Forgive my oversight in spelling, I'm pretty damn sure anyone on this site is well aware of my intention even with this horrible horrible mistake.

UWDude
11-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Never said I'd try to get loads of people to go with me, that would have the exact opposite effect that I'd be going for in moving. If you're going to follow me around threads, atleast be a little more intelligent when you troll.

I posted in this thread FIVE TIMES before you. Look at posts 5, 8, 18, 21 & 22. So who is following who around?

LoL.

And you wouldn't have to ask people to follow you into the mountains. Everybody says they would go to the mountains. I am sure a lot of people would take to there, imagining like it would be like their summer camping trips. There is just not a whole lot of food, besides fish.

Maximus
11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I like the idea of doing the electoral college by district rather than by state

PaulConventionWV
11-15-2012, 07:23 AM
My apologies, it was written in haste at the onset of a particularly crappy day at work. Forgive my oversight in spelling, I'm pretty damn sure anyone on this site is well aware of my intention even with this horrible horrible mistake.

Hmm... ok, I guess I'll let it slide this time.