PDA

View Full Version : $5 "spare change" bomb

Misesian
11-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I think a mini-bomb could successfully bring in a good amount of money to the campaign if someone can get one organized on a good day between now and December 16th, like ASAP.

A $5 "spare change" bomb would be something that people would have no excuse not to donate to.

I've utilized this successfully in my own meetup group to raise money for our chipin.

If 50,000 of us give $5 that's $250,000 right there in one day and there will inevitably be people giving much more than $5.

If I had the computer skills for a "penny bomb" I might try to create something for but alas I do not and can only post the idea.

I've been waiting for December 16th myself but could certainly afford an extra $5 until the $100 day but even we are sheep and need to be herded to even give $5.

I hope someone can get this one going!!

BrazilLuLa
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Who cares about the TeaParty. Seriously.

The sooner the better.

Misesian
11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Well my post pretty much had nothing to do with the Tea Party, though if it's going to bring in possibly $10 million it's something we should all care about. The point of my message is that we can just put the Tea Party on the shelf and have a $5 mini-bomb like NOW and get Ron Paul anywhere from $250,000 - $500,000 in one day to help pay the bills.

YOU can afford $5 and would give it in an instant right BrazilLuLa?

me3
11-20-2007, 05:55 PM
The only downside to a small value bomb is that the $5 might end up costing $0.75~$1.00 per transaction in fees.

Other than that, it's a great idea.

Misesian
11-20-2007, 06:07 PM
The only downside to a small value bomb is that the $5 might end up costing $0.75~$1.00 per transaction in fees.

Other than that, it's a great idea.

Darn, good point there me3. I think we could go as high as $10 and still get even the "poor people" to dig deep and contribute. That would help reduce the transaction fee overhead though I think shooting for $5 would be probably yield greater participation. I couldn't afford to give ANYTHING on Veterans Day so I gave $5.

jake
11-20-2007, 06:08 PM

The sooner the better.

everyone that has pledged to donate on Dec. 16th will be doing so, everyone who can donate now, or any more in between now and Dec. 16th, go for it.

krott5333
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM

The sooner the better.

I do.

I want to outdo the 4.3 million dollar day.

But I really like the $5 money bomb idea.

dircha
11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
How about a Loose Change money bomb?

I wouldn't endorse it, but I'm sure there are a lot of really committed people who would.

shrugged0106
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Couldnt the meet-up groups bundle the $5 donations by region and mitigate the processing fee issue?

Misesian
11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
How about a Loose Change money bomb?

I wouldn't endorse it, but I'm sure there are a lot of really committed people who would.

Can't say "loose change" for obvious reasons.

Misesian
11-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Couldnt the meet-up groups bundle the $5 donations by region and mitigate the processing fee issue?

Gotta use the KISS principle though. Keep It Simple Stupid. If you add in another step you would also lose on out money by relying on meetups to do this rather than just a website that says GO and we go to the website itself and donate at least $5.

My biggest question is, what would be a fitting date to do this ASAP? Any dates of historical significance (don't think Thanksgiving would work) coming up next week?????

me3
11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Darn, good point there me3. I think we could go as high as $10 and still get even the "poor people" to dig deep and contribute. That would help reduce the transaction fee overhead though I think shooting for $5 would be probably yield greater participation. I couldn't afford to give ANYTHING on Veterans Day so I gave $5.
Not to be a downer, but there is also the added overhead of thousands of small donations to track and handle internally for FEC filing.

HOWEVER

This is a very good idea, it could be called the 5/10 bomb or something the kids would find catchy. Run one every week on the worst average fundraising day (but still preferably a weekday). I think Fridays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays would be good candidates.

Misesian
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Not to be a downer, but there is also the added overhead of thousands of small donations to track and handle internally for FEC filing.

HOWEVER

This is a very good idea, it could be called the 5/10 bomb or something the kids would find catchy. Run one every week on the worst average fundraising day (but still preferably a weekday). I think Fridays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays would be good candidates.

But if it brings in more net money than otherwise would be the case, it will be worth doing it.

The campaign requesting donations only does so much, and we're stuck with December 16th. We can't really change that one now otherwise we will lose out on money from the whole negative impact of changing this date that we've all been so excitedly waiting for!

The bottom line is whether or not $5 is better than $0, if it is than let's have a "Spare change bomb!".

me3
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually, the more I think about this, the more I like it. More small donations, might encourage more donors to join up and get recognized by the campaign as supporters, thus growing the donation and voting base.

Trigonx
11-20-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure processing fees are based on a percentage of the donation and not a set amount per donation.

leonster
11-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, would be great to expand our donation base... Think about, if someone new gives $5-20 now, maybe they'll be more likely to give the $100 on the 16th, too.

With that said... if we want new people, WE have to donate, too--doesn't have to be a lot but--if we rely on ONLY new people, they'll be lacking motivation when they see the low numbers.

Ideas for days:
Nov. 27, 1957 - Army withdraws from Little Rock AR, after Central HS integration (Civil rights and liberties angle?)

Nov. 30, 1782 Britain signs agreement recognizing US independence

Dec. 1, 1955 Rosa Parks arrested for refusing to move to the back of the bus

Misesian
11-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Ideas for days:
Nov. 27, 1957 - Army withdraws from Little Rock AR, after Central HS integration (Civil rights and liberties angle?)

Nov. 30, 1782 Britain signs agreement recognizing US independence

Dec. 1, 1955 Rosa Parks arrested for refusing to move to the back of the bus

I say the sooner the better. November 30th sounds like a very fitting date.

Though from you historians out there, anything sooner than the 30th?!?! The 27th event just doesn't do much for me :(

Misesian
11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
So whataya guys think?

Doc Dewey
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I am saving up for the teaparty07. But until then I will donate 12.16 each
friday. Of course today we are kicking huckbutt just for fun. So this weeks
may be a little early.

Paul4Prez
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM

I like the 5/10 idea. We could "nickel and dime 'em" to a big day -- with five and ten dollar bills being the modern equivalent of nickels and dimes, thanks to the Federal Reserve....

mport1
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
I like this.

Misesian
11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
So far this is working very well for my meetup group. Today was the day for our $5 money bomb on our chipin tool.

http://brevard4ronpaul.chipin.com