PDA

View Full Version : What State Laws do you think Maine should try to pass?

parocks
11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Over on Maine Facebook groups people are saying "get your ideas in for legislation".

What laws do you think Maine should adopt?

Dr.3D
11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Lord, do they need anymore laws? How about getting rid of some?

Keith and stuff
11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I would like to see the failed 2000 Death with Dignity Act to be placed on the ballot again. http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Maine_Assisted_Suicide_Initiative_%282000%29
Regulate marijuana like liquor would also be nice on the ballot.

parocks
11-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Legislation to repeal ...

parocks
11-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I would like to see the failed 2000 Death with Dignity Act to be placed on the ballot again. http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Maine_Assisted_Suicide_Initiative_%282000%29
Regulate marijuana like liquor would also be nice on the ballot.

This isn't "on the ballot". We have liberty state reps in Maine. People in Maine are trying to get legislation to our representatives that they can pass.

There are various Ron Paul Maine Facebook groups and pages where this is being discussed. And I'm curious to see if there was anything from this corner of the internet that I could cut and paste.

Marijuana has been discussed. GMO has been discussed. LURC (which only Mainers would know about) Land trust changes. Obamacare nullification. Eliminate water fluoridation, ban clean elections, legalize hemp, legalize marijuana, ban the TSA from operating at Maine airports, label GMO foods.

Keith and stuff
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Cool. I suggested on the ballot because I figured the governor would veto bills like those 2 if the bills came to his desk.

What about a bill to allow human hamster balls in Maine. It will provide jobs, encourage tourists and help the economy. There used to be 1 at the Maine Mall but there was some concern if it was legal.
http://portlanddailysun.me/index.php/newsx/local-news/388-business-owner-wants-state-to-allow-human-hamster-ball

A bill to end the bottle deposit system would be nice. It would mean savings for the majority of adults in Maine.

donnay
11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Here's a start...

1. Get rid of the State Income Tax
2. Get rid of the State Excise Tax
3. Get rid of the Personal Property Tax
4. Decriminalize drugs and make marijuana legal
5. Jury Nullification
6. 10 amendment Nullification

FrancisMarion
11-12-2012, 11:35 PM
NO. NO. NO.

This referendum zeitgeist is not for promoting law, but striking it damn down.

Keith and stuff
11-12-2012, 11:40 PM
NO. NO. NO.

This referendum zeitgeist is not for promoting law, but striking it damn down.

That's what I was suggesting. Remove the law against death with dignity. Remove some of the marijuana laws.

Maximus
11-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Jury Nullification

MrGoose
11-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Marijuana
Gay Marriage

Those are mainstream ideas that will get national attention. Wake some conservatives up if they're introduced by state Republicans.

SpiritOf1776_J4
11-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Every member of the Maine legislature has to read the whole set of laws as applicable to the common citizen out loud before taking a seat innew sessions.

parocks
11-13-2012, 02:22 AM
I passed those along

Smart3
11-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Marijuana
Gay Marriage

Those are mainstream ideas that will get national attention. Wake some conservatives up if they're introduced by state Republicans.
It's already done.

I don't see marijuana getting the support of the Governor. If Cutler had been elected instead, we'd get it done probably.

parocks
11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
It's already done.

I don't see marijuana getting the support of the Governor. If Cutler had been elected instead, we'd get it done probably.

We like LePage. I don't see why Cutler would be better on this.

Victor Grey
11-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Constitutional carry laws.

nobody's_hero
11-13-2012, 05:03 AM
We haven't heard much from Gov. LePage since he snubbed the Tampa convention. How close is the relation between the Ron Paul Mainers and the governor?

Crystallas
11-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Do you have laws that require more 'variable-x' to be certified on official ballots? I say variable-x, for instance, requiring more signatures than the major party is one example to run for certain offices, but it could be more than just the signatures. Those of you in Maine that fought for delegation should not forget your own obstacles.

Crystallas
11-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Also, I believe your state has a "People's veto". Something worth looking into for registered Maine voters.

sunsense
11-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Like he said.

Do you remember the 'good old days' when there were just 10 laws.

Now there are over a hundreds of thousands and dozens of ways to break any one of them.

We need a group to go through the current laws and have them repealed.

I always believed that any new laws must go through legal muster first. What actually happens now, is they pass laws and someone has to challenge it in court. Years later, they are finally overturned as unconstitutional, overly broad or whatever but we all suffer in the meantime. This is totally backwards.

Dr.3D
11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Like he said.

Do you remember the 'good old days' when there were just 10 laws.

Now there are over a hundreds of thousands and dozens of ways to break any one of them.

We need a group to go through the current laws and have them repealed.

I always believed that any new laws must go through legal muster first. What actually happens now, is they pass laws and someone has to challenge it in court. Years later, they are finally overturned as unconstitutional, overly broad or whatever but we all suffer in the meantime. This is totally backwards.
How about making a new law? Here is one I propose.... congress shall not make any law they can not recite from memory. They shall be able to recite all laws on the books from memory at any time. If any member of congress shall not be able to recite one of those laws, it shall be repealed immediately.

Edit: This law shall be exempt from being repealed if it is not recited by all members.