PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele On Running For RNC Chair Again: ‘It’s Not A Bad Idea’ VIDEO by Meenal Vambu

JacobG18
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele may want his old job back. During an interview with C-SPAN on Thursday, he floated the idea of running for the position again.

“It’s not a bad idea,” Steele replied when asked if he’s interested in running for chairman again. “I can go shake up the House a little bit more, what do you think?

“Are you serious?” the host asked.

“We’ll see,” Steele said.

Asked when he would announce, Steele replied, “Oh, I’ve got time for that.”

Steele was also asked to respond to a recent POLITICO report that Reince Priebus, the current RNC chair, will likely seek a second term. He declined to say whether Priebus should stay on, noting, “That’s gonna be something the members have to decide.”

Steele was chairman from 2009 to 2011 — a tenure that he defended during the interview.

Watch his remarks below, via C-SPAN:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/michael-steele-on-running-for-rnc-chair-again-its-not-a-bad-idea/

supermario21
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Should we support him? He did come around to praise Ron Paul after all.

Occam's Banana
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I got no problem with him. At least until we can name our own guy.

Steele >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Priebus

Jeremy
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Should we support him? He did come around to praise Ron Paul after all.Yes we should. Unless there is someone from our team running.

supermario21
11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I think we need to get Priebus out. He's probably already on the Ryan/Rubio band wagon.

jmdrake
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Should we support him? He did come around to praise Ron Paul after all.

Yes! 100% for ^that reason! Help our friends and crush our enemies. We want others to look at this and say "Hey, maybe I should come around to Ron Paul as well."

torchbearer
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
if you remember Steele in the 'for liberty' movie...
"as for Ron Paul... for me- he's done"

Jeremy
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
"as for Ron Paul... for me- he's done" He was just giving political commentary and he ended up wrong. But he was a pretty good chairman.

torchbearer
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
He was just giving political commentary and he ended up wrong. But he was a pretty good chairman.

as for Michael Steele... for me- he's done.

torchbearer
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Henry Herford for RNC Chair!

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM

This is why it's hard to trust Steele...

He did hammer us pretty bad in 2007, and then warmed up to us in 2012.

It's hard to know what to believe, he's still better then this little twirp shit fuck they've got now.

Occam's Banana
11-12-2012, 07:05 PM

I've always had the sense that that was just his honest assessment - he genuinely thought Ron had self-destructed in that debate (the Guliani moment, I think). I don't think he was motivated by spite or hostility (like Hannity and the others were). When he realized he was wrong, and that Ron had actually become even more popular because of it, he changed his tune & extended an ollive branch. Just like any good party chairman would - trying to grow the party.

Agorism
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd like him to be back in charge personally.

He actually wanted to prolong the primary and have small states go first.

Brilliant idea not to let the establishment fix the election.

MozoVote
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I got the impression that Steele was looking for friends though - because his first year as Chairman was a bit rocky, bad publicity about spending and slow fundraising. Would he really have been cordial to Paul if things were smoother for him at first?

He's better than Priebus, but it'd be nice to see what other entrants could step up. Frankly though I suspect Priebus cannot be unseated until some fresh state committeemen and committeewomen get elected.

Agorism
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Did anyone read why they got rid of him? His plan was something I would have thought up in a day dream. It was pretty awesome. I can see why the Romney people came after him so hard because if he would have gotten his way, he would have been tied with Santorum in a giant mud throwing contest, and Paul could have then sniped off contested caucus states after that.

Agorism
11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Michael Steele's plan for anarchy within the GOP primary:

By: Peter Egan
April 4th, 2012

Despite the unwavering and dedicated efforts of the liberal elitists at the Republican National Committee doing everything within their capabilities to subvert the will of the voters and install Massachusetts liberal Mitt Romney as the 2012 GOP Presidential nominee, there remains an outside shot that the sentiments of the overwhelming majority of Republican voters could still play a factor in determining a nominee, averting a disaster scenario in which the Republican alternative to the Democrat incumbent is a man whose positions are nearly indecipherable from those of Obama.

For most everyone paying attention, it has become overtly clear that the RNC and the unelected party bosses who have controlled the candidate selection process for all of this author’s lifetime and probably closer to a century or more have been trying their best to rig the game in order to favor Romney. That their “guy” hasn’t wrapped up the nomination by now (it’s April 02, as of this writing) has them beside themselves, infuriated and making no bones about their discontent with the fact that all candidates not named Mitt Romney have not yet withdrawn from the race like they were supposed to.

Make no mistake, that Romney has not yet secured enough delegates to claim decisive victory is not for lack of corruption on behalf of his buddies at the RNC. These are the same people who nearly immediately following the most successful midterm election in GOP history fired the man who orchestrated the 2010 Republican sweep that brought the party control of the U.S. House of Representatives, broke the Democrats’ Senate super-majority and would have won the Senate outright had massive and unprecedented voter fraud in Nevada not gone unpunished. [Note: In that race between Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Tea Party conservative Sharron Angle, Reid's opponent received tens of thousands more votes than did Reid, but the fox was charged with protecting the hen-house, with the SEIU engaging in well-documented manipulation and fraud of the electronic voting machines in which votes for Angle were switched to Reid, and a large number of heavily Democrat-leaning precincts recorded more votes than there were eligible voters registered to vote within said precincts.]

At the time of Steele’s firing, the decision seemed as baffling as it was unprecedented. Here was a man who as leader of the party helped orchestrated an unprecedented and record-setting midterm election for the GOP in which the party picked up 63 seats in the House and six in the Senate. There was a net change of 126 caucusing members in the House, giving the Republicans a majority with 242 of the chamber’s 435 seats, and barring Nevada’s election fraud of historic proportion would have evened the Senate at 50 a piece.

Why would a party chase a man out the door who had just led them delivered a majority in an election in which the odds of doing so based on the numbers seemed virtually impossible? While at the time the decision appeared to make no sense whatsoever, in April of 2012 as the Republican Presidential primary calender moves into the homestretch, the answer is plainly obvious. It is also beyond disgusting.

In August of 2010, Steele implemented a new set of rules governing how the party elects its nominee for the November Presidential general election. Rather than have a handful of liberal states plus South Carolina (for the misguided appearance of fairness) determine the nominee before the overwhelming majority of the country even gets to vote, Steele spread out the calender, implementing penalties for states that broke the rules and held their contests prior to Super Tuesday. The penalty for doing so would entail the loss of 50% of a state’s total delegates plus the proportional distribution of those delegates rather than a winner-take-all vote. This enabled states that actually vote Republican in the general election to play a role in determining who the party’s nominee would be. Hence the RNC’s fury and the reason they angrily replaced Steele with the relatively obscure Reince Preibus.

The result of Steele’s rule changes have extended the contest at least into April, and have forced the RNC’s hand-picked liberal to spend hundreds of millions of dollars battling conservative candidates whose combined vote totals far outweigh that of the liberal former Massachusetts governor. The race appears headed for a brokered convention, at which, at least in theory, a candidate other than the liberal supported by the RNC could emerge as the party’s nominee.

Not that the party elites will go away quietly. They’ve already been rigging things to the best of their ability to favor Romney, hitting the airwaves and doing the talk-show circuit proclaiming that his nomination is “inevitable”. Naturally, the “Superdelegates”, mostly RNC members or other top party officials, are nearly all lining up behind Romney. Of the 37 who have committed as of the time of this writing, 32 of those 37 have announced they will be voting for Romney.

Additionally, the party elites saw to it that Virginia’s rules were drawn up in such a way that the two conservatives in the race were excluded from the ballot altogether, handing the state to Romney by default while denying the voters of Virginia their say in who the party’s next Presidential nominee should be. There was a primary in Missouri, which conservative leader Rick Santorum dominated winning 55% of the vote, but there were no delegates awarded. Instead, a second “nonbinding” caucus is to be held over a period of several weeks. Nobody seems to fully understand what a “nonbinding” caucus is, but from everything this author has read, it is apparently a vote in which the delegates awarded are not necessarily done so in a manner consistent with the vote of the people. Thus, Missouri will have held two elections in which neither determined how the state’s delegates will be allocated.

Florida’s 50 delegates were supposed to be distributed proportionately due to the fact that the state moved up its primary to January 31. However, Romney outspent his opponents 20-1 after a backroom meeting with RNC officials in which he was instructed that if he won the state, they’d award all delegates to him. He spent an obscene amount of money, and the RNC broke the rules and gave all 50 delegates to Romney. Had any other candidate won Florida, the delegates would have been proportionately assigned.

At this point, we the people had better start to put an enormous amount of pressure on the RNC as well as on state party officials and state delegates. Our only hope to defeat Obama with a candidate that’s actually to the right of him politically is to thwart the RNC’s corrupt attempt at rigging the election for the Massachusetts liberal whose policies as governor were strikingly similar to Obama’s Marxist agenda as President.

Had Michael Steele not pulled the wool over the eyes of the people who’ve helped lead the nation down the path of destruction, what fleeting hope of electing a leader capable of restoring our country to sanity, much less greatness, would be nonexistent. While we’ve still a long uphill battle to fight in ensuring that the party recognizes that 2/3 of Republicans are voting AGAINST Romney, rendering him unfit to serve as the nominee, it’s more than we’d have had the man on whose watch the 2010 63-seat blowout of Congressional Democrats occurred not taken measures to protect we the voters from the likes of those whose agenda is to see to it that the two candidates squaring off in November would be completely and totally indecipherable were it not for the color of their skin.

Mr. Steele, on behalf of red-blooded Americans all across the fruited plain, thank you.

Occam's Banana
11-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I got the impression that Steele was looking for friends though - because his first year as Chairman was a bit rocky, bad publicity about spending and slow fundraising. Would he really have been cordial to Paul if things were smoother for him at first?

Who knows? Maybe not. But he was on Jon Stewart's show just after the convention & called out the Party for it's shabby treatment of Ron (he called it "stupid" among other things IIRC). He was no longer chairman at the time, so he didn't really have at stake in saying that. And does it really matter what he *might* have done, or what his motives were? You'd have to be a mind reader to be certain. We can only go by what he actually did do. One thing is certain, though: you don't have to read any minds to suss out who's side Priebus is on!

He's better than Priebus, but it'd be nice to see what other entrants could step up. Frankly though I suspect Priebus cannot be unseated until some fresh state committeemen and committeewomen get elected.

Agreed on all counts.

torchbearer
11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Michael Steele's plan for anarchy within the GOP primary:

link for this article?
did you get my pm? i could use your help.

Eric21ND
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Steele had some very nice things to say about Ron Paul in the longer version of that interview and a black gentleman called in also saying nice things about Ron. He might not be a Paulite, but he's Paul friendly. Steele's open-mindedness is a breath of fresh air for that party. Sorry, no tube, but here's the full interview, it's worth watching.

Michael Steele: Future of the Republican Party (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/FutureoftheRepublicanParty24)

CableNewsJunkie
11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOoDX_TcdQ

Steele deserves another shot, IMO (at least until we can find someone better)

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I believe Michael Steele, in his past, was not a fan of us. But, I also believe we've grown on him. I believe he's taking the things Ron Paul, and us, have been saying for a while much more seriously.

I see better potential chairmen. But, I'm willing to give him a chance in order to get Priebus out.

Eric21ND
11-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Steele deserves another shot, IMO (at least until we can find someone better)
I agree. We might even be able to bring him along on other issues.

PatriotOne
11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
I'd back him. He's genuine and more than open to us.

specsaregood
11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I'd back him. He's genuine and more than open to us.

Especially since it was his comments about ending the afghanistan war that got him kicked to the curb.

PatriotOne
11-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Especially since it was his comments about ending the afghanistan war that got him kicked to the curb.

Did not know that. Now I would actually send him money to support him in light of that.

specsaregood
11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Did not know that. Now I would actually send him money to support him in light of that.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?251893-Ron-Paul-congratulates-Steele-for-his-leadership-against-the-Afghanistan-war
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/107139-ron-paul-backs-steele-congratulates-rnc-chairman

Former GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul is lining up behind embattled Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, praising the chairman for his controversial recent remarks about the U.S. war in Afghanistan.

Paul, a Texas congressman and father of Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul, issued a statement to CNN that applauded Steele for suggesting the war was unwinnable and "of Obama's choosing." Some Republicans have called for Steele's resignation over the comments, but Paul said Steele showed "leadership."

"He is absolutely right: Afghanistan is now Obama's war," Paul said. "Michael Steele should not resign. Smart policies make smart politics. He is guiding the party in the right direction and we are on the verge of victory this fall. Chairman Steele should not back off. He is giving the country, especially young people, hope as he speaks truth about this war."

Lucille
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
He's a bottom-up grassroots kind of guy, where Priebus is all about top-down control (who thinks he as it all locked up (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/16/priebus-announces-rnc-re-election-bid-majority-sup/)).

Steele for RNC Chair!

steph3n
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
He's not one of us, but not against 'us' either, I'd support him

evilfunnystuff
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Unless someone better were to run, I could support him.

He has shown us some respect, his Afghanistan comments show guts, and his "primary plans" seemed favorable toward "non-establishment" types.

matt0611
11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I'd support him over the current RNC chair.