PDA

View Full Version : Challenge to You All

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
We should be going out to opposing forums to start preaching our ideas.

Sitting around here arguing with each other does nothing and if you're so hellbent on staying online to argue then we should at least be targeting forums that need to be targeted.

I'm not saying go off and cause a disruption, i'm saying we should start talking about our ideas and reasons in more hostile places.

I've been doing this for months now and I'm kind of hoping i'm not the only one.

It's VERY difficult to do this alone so pairing off or going in with a group could help considerably.

acptulsa
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, you're right. But that doesn't mean time spent here is wasted. There's a lot to be said for this place; it helps us keep our story straight and we are the best source of ammo we could possibly hope for.

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Even better, step away from the computer and join a local political club or organization.

CaptUSA
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Even better, step away from the computer and join a local political club or organization.Agreed. We do very well on the internet; we need to continue to move beyond it.

Luckily, tablet technology is getting better and better. Nothing like being able to use this new media to enhance your conversations!

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Agreed. We do very well on the internet; we need to continue to move beyond it.

Luckily, tablet technology is getting better and better. Nothing like being able to use this new media to enhance your conversations!

On a side note, but related, I read an article that did a poll of high school and college age kids. Despite all the technology, and the fact that these kids grew up with it, they still prefer face to face communication above all other means, and by a pretty wide margin if I recall correctly.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
This revolution will be won not on the internet, but at dinner tables, break rooms, and school cafeterias.

If you need to sharpen your skills, though, the internet is great for that.

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Whatever states we live in, Ron Paul libertarians are still watered down and big minority.

Free State Project is pretty much only place where Paul supporters can concentrate and have HUGE impact.

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFVOf7i4-I

11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I have in the past. Right now some of my other forums have become liberal democratic echo chambers with the Obama win. I have to let that die off a bit first.

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Whatever states we live in, Ron Paul libertarians are still watered down and big minority.

Free State Project is pretty much only place where Paul supporters can concentrate and have HUGE impact.

Last Tuesday kinda put a damper on all of that.

The FSP got hammered pretty bad last Tuesday and while i'm still planning on moving to New Hampshire my big drawback now is that IT SEEMS a lot of people there are not Ron Paul people but instead complete Anarchists and they are really turning off a huge segment of New Hampshire to the ideas of Liberty because of it. Anarchy isn't going to impact anything because no one is going to listen to anyone pushing it... in fact they'll run the other direction which seems to be what happened in New Hampshire last week.

If someone out in NH could give some more insight it would be much appreciated.

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes, you're right. But that doesn't mean time spent here is wasted. There's a lot to be said for this place; it helps us keep our story straight and we are the best source of ammo we could possibly hope for.

Totally agree, but it's something we should all start to do, especially the more conservative forums who are probably looking for new ideas right now.

deadfish
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Even better, step away from the computer and join a local political club or organization.

Whoa now... that's just crazy talk.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaptLouAlbano again.

Todd
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Be VERY friggin careful how you approach this. I was on a board in 07 that had a Paul invasion and it was not taken very lightly. The people who go there to "Preach" better be tactful persons, who can express ideas in a way that does not come across as in your face. I was never able to achieve this and I tried to be non threatening

acptulsa
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Be VERY friggin careful how you approach this. I was on a board in 07 that had a Paul invasion and it was not taken very lightly. The people who go there to "Preach" better be tactful persons, who can express ideas in a way that does not come across as in your face. I was never able to achieve this and I tried to be non threatening

Yes. When it comes to conservative forums, I'm much better as a source of ammo than as a gunner. And I know it.

Liberal forums I can handle without pissing people off so much, as long as I quit before they piss me off.

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
NH beats all other states combined in liberty. It only going to increase and get better every year.

There are about 120 liberty reps in the house which is a solid libertarian veto.

Not sure why you are saying the FSP got hammered in the election, that just isnt true.

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Last Tuesday kinda put a damper on all of that.

The FSP got hammered pretty bad last Tuesday and while i'm still planning on moving to New Hampshire my big drawback now is that IT SEEMS a lot of people there are not Ron Paul people but instead complete Anarchists and they are really turning off a huge segment of New Hampshire to the ideas of Liberty because of it. Anarchy isn't going to impact anything because no one is going to listen to anyone pushing it... in fact they'll run the other direction which seems to be what happened in New Hampshire last week.

If someone out in NH could give some more insight it would be much appreciated.

I have always had an issue with libertarian purists in that they try and move the needle too far, too fast. It puts people off.

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
NH beats all other states combined in liberty. It only going to increase and get better every year.

There are about 120 liberty reps in the house which is a solid libertarian veto.

Not sure why you are saying the FSP got hammered in the election, that just isnt true.

From what I had heard and read Republicans across the board got hammered in New Hampshire... and from what i've seen, out of Keene especially, there's just a ton of anarchists up there trying to co-opt the movement for their own gain.

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I have always had an issue with libertarian purists in that they try and move the needle too far, too fast. It puts people off.

I always start small in person... start with things I know we'll agree on and then go from there.

Tom Woods talked about in his Mises Institute speech about how he had sat infront of this audience for about 30min going into all the Anti-Obama stuff and really got the crowd on his side AND THEN went into the foreign policy mess and all the other more purists elements.

He said something to extent of... "If you're going to build up that kind of credit with them by giving them all the Anti-Obama stuff then you need to use that credit to build onto better things."

Starting off immediately on the purer things just leads to them shutting you off completely.

parocks
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
1) Romney was too Liberal. Liberal Republicans always lose.

or

2) Rand Paul 2016

1) works better

you can use your Facebook for this. Your friends probably are still talking about Romney. It's plenty easy to say Romney was too Liberal, in almost any context.

acptulsa
11-12-2012, 06:01 PM

I'm not so much preturbed by that as (and maybe we're saying the same thing) those that overreach by bringing up a host of issues in a blizzard of rhetoric. Generally the best approach is to explore the principles at the very core of the issue at hand. Trap someone into admitting it if they are going against their principles, and demonstrate how libertarian principles lead to a more desirable outcome in practical terms. Then and only then you might mention how those same principles lead to the happiest place on other issues as well. It does work better to slip in under people's defenses than to assault the stone wall.

That said, I think we all have a purpose. Sometimes people won't even take a fresh look at an issue until they see someone assailing the stone wall, and wonder why. I just wish the people mounting the frontal attack would do it covertly, instead of proudly carrying the banner of the candidate we want to put over. If there's anything I wish we'd learn from the Ron Paul experience and apply to other candidates, it's this: If you're not going to slip respectfully under someone's defenses, check the name of your candidate at the door and go into battle promoting no one.

liveandletlive
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
the OP is a true fisher of men....i applaud him

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt call them anarchists because the word anarchist implies someone who is violent.

Nor are they trying to take over anything except their liberties back, they are peaceful Ron Paul supporters.

Pushing the limits of civil disobedience to end the police state isnt anarchy, its the American way

Nate-ForLiberty
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I wouldnt call them anarchists because the word anarchist implies someone who is violent.

Nor are they trying to take over anything except their liberties back, they are peaceful Ron Paul supporters.

Pushing the limits of civil disobedience to end the police state isnt anarchy, its the American way!

I'm fairly certain he was using "anarchist" in its correct form and not as a derogatory term. Many who have joined the FSP believe in a society without rulers, i.e. anarchy. Which by its definition implies people who adhere to the Non-Aggression Principle and are therefore, non-violent.

The anarchy you are referring to is the term that the state uses in order to demonize anyone it opposes. It's a complete distortion of the word.

BuddyRey
11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
If we're looking for other sites to expand our web presence, might I strongly suggest SodaHead? It's mostly a conservative site, but there's common ground to be built with some of the more independent-minded among them. There's already a small but plucky libertarian contingent there, of which I am very pleased to be a part, and among whom I've made some terrific friends. We've even converted a few teocons in the last couple years. I'd love to have the pleasure of you guys' company while trying to fight the good fight.

I actually started a voluntaryists group there a couple months back that is already up to 10 members, which is plum-amazing when you think about it.