PDA

View Full Version : That is a disgrace to the Constitution of this country

Anti Federalist
11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
The Carlos Miller Case: Jury Says ‘Not Guilty’

November 12, 2012 @ 12:18 PM by Tim Lynch

http://www.policemisconduct.net/the-carlos-miller-case-jury-says-not-guilty/

Carlos Miller was arrested for filming the police. Resisting the pressure to accept a “deal,” he risked more prison time simply by insisting on his right to a jury trial.

According to Miller, the prosecutor told the jury that Miller did not behave like a “real journalist” because a “real journalist” would have obeyed all police requests and orders.

Miller’s attorney responded to that argument with the following:

“In this country, when you’re a journalist, your job is to investigate.

Not to be led by your hand where the police want you to see, so they can hide what they don’t want you to see.

No, when you’re a journalist, a real journalist, it’s your job to go find the truth. As long as you are acting within the law as Mr. Miller was, you have the right to demand and say, ‘no, I’m not moving, I have the right to be here. This is a public sidewalk, I have the right to be here.’

He did his job. He has the right to do his job the way he sees fit. It’s not up to these prosecutors to tell anybody, much less an independent journalist, how to do their job. It’s not up to the police officers, it’s not up to a judge or the president.

In this country, journalists do their job the way they see fit.

What’s he describing is Cuba. What he’s describing is a communist country. The government says you can’t be here because I say you can’t be here.

And it’s infuriating to me that a prosecutor would try to get up here and try to convince you that just because a police officer says something, that he has to bow his head and walk away.

That is a disgrace to the Constitution of this country.”

Congratulations to Miller and his attorneys. More info, including video from the trial, at the link above.

acptulsa
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
It would be a much, much bigger disgrace if he were not acquitted.

My humble thanks to the courageous jury. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

phill4paul
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Good news!

donnay
11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, good news indeed.

presence
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
This is a public sidewalk,
I have the right to be here.

^^^

libertyjam
11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?395414-Jury-Says-Journalist-Arrested-While-Videotaping-Police-Is-Not-Guilty

FrancisMarion
11-12-2012, 07:15 PM
No Plea Bargaining!