PDA

View Full Version : New Guy here. How do we spread the message?

Andyc3020
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to RPF, and this is the first thread I have started here. It seems like a great forum. Just a short intorduction: My name is Andy, I live North West of Atlanta. I'm 23 with no college education (please excuse any incorrect grammar) and I am an enthusiastic Ron Paul supporter and, more importantly, liberty lover. I was lucky enough to have a good friend mention how my libertarian views line up with Ron Paul's pholosophy late last year, and ever since have spent a lot of time soaking up as much information as I could about the cause. I've never been much of a reader until recently when I read a couple Ayn Rand books (Anthem and The Fountainhead) Then I read End The Fed and Have started reading Liberty Defined. Not to mention watching countless Ron Paul videos on Youtube and I've started listening to some Mises lectures. I also drove down to Tampa to the "We are the Future" Rally. Anyway, I am glad to be here on RPF.

Here is where I need help:

I can't seem to convince anyone to join our side. I am very careful to keep people open minded when I debate them, and for the most part they agree with everything I say. (keep in mind I live in GA, so almost everyone I know votes Republican). Mostly everyone I talk to agrees with me on taxes, and they say they agree with me on limited government. Here in the bible belt it is harder to get some people to agree with me on personal liberties, but believe it or not, most people even agree with me on drug laws, gay marraige and things like that. The Federal Reserve seems to be one thing that people can't grasp, and since most people are not educated on what the Fed does, they don't know what I'm talking about and it does no good.

My dad agrees with almost everything I say except for foreign policy (big surprise). He is a member of the NRA (which I'm not sold on yet), and he told me that he would vote for Romney because he wants to stand with the NRA (he may have voted for Ron Paul in the primaries, but I'm not sure). I showed him a few youtube videos showing how Romney is not a good gun rights candidate, but it did not help.

I have been talking to people for months and months about my views, and I am pretty sure the only people I convinced to vote for liberty were my fiance, and one good friend of mine.

I am obviously not doing something right.

I feel like we could have a great jump start on 2014 and 2016, and I want to make the most of my efforts.

What do I/we need to do to get more people on our side?

hillertexas
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Andy! Bumping your thread...

mport1
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
What do I/we need to do to get more people on our side?

In my opinion, spread and financially support libertarian media/education. E.g. Free Talk Live, Freedomain Radio, School Sucks, Complete Liberty, etc. Also support institutions like the Mises Institute, Reason, Advocates for Self-Government, Laissez Faire Books, etc.

Educating people will be the most effective path towards liberty, and I believe that media, entertainment, and spreading scholarly works and articles is the best way to do that.

eleganz
11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Its definitely not easy. Plant the seed, ALWAYS have the historical reasoning to back up what you say.

Our message is hard to convert people with because it entails so much of the bigger picture, whereas people only care about certain things.

Plant the seed and nurture the plant, eventually that seed will grow into a beautiful tree of liberty that sprouts tasty fruit and even more seeds.

One thing to keep in mind, never disagree with somebody. Take their issues and bend it to our our message because everything comes back to freedom and liberty.

Feeding the Abscess
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Republicans in Georgia agree with you that taxation is theft, and far from making everybody pay income taxes, that nobody should pay income taxes?

TheGrinch
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
As someone who is also from Georgia and the Atlanta-area, I think you'll find that people may be more receptive to the message now that it isn't just about beating Obama anymore... Believe me that the "lesser of two evils" two-party, red-team versus blue-team, is a large reason why people continue to vote against candidates, rather than for them.

The primary way that I've had success converting people (plenty of whom I never expected to) is to begin with common ground. There are common grounds that we have with folks of all different political stripes that need to be emphasized before they can even possibly be open to the issues that are tougher for them to swallow. It's taken me months in some cases for people to come around to the tougher issues, but sure enough, once you start peeling into the onion layers, many will end up coming to these conclusions on their own if they're interested enough... The tough part of ocurse is drawing their interest, but begin with common ground on the issues that are important to them (or should be).

As for Republican voters, we also now have a prime opportunity in making the constituents realize that we are the way to reforming the party and country back to respectability. That focusing on divisive social issues and electing moderates that Americans can't trust, will only lead to the demise of the party. Freedom, liberty and fiscal conservatism are long-lost elements of the republican platform that need to be re-emphasized, or else we'll have to find another vehicle in which to reform this country.

satchelmcqueen
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
ive got the samew problem with my family. big christians and rons foreign policy they just cant grasp. they think that the middle east will always be our enemy reguardless of what we do.

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Andy, my question would be what is your goal? Do you want to "convert" people so that they believe everything the same as you do, read the books you do and listen to the lectures you do? Or are you looking to become politically active and simply work for like minded candidates to see them prevail in elections?

I would say if you are out to "convert" people you may be spending a lot of time, energy and wind up being frustrated unless you can come to the realization that people can agree on many issues yet disagree on others - and that there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, get 10 RPF members in the same room, and you are likely to get 10 different opinions on various issues, strategies, etc.

And also keep in mind, that many people do not have a large interest in political affairs outside of the election season, and going even deeper few people have an interest in political philosophy and ideology. You do not want to be the guy who people avoid because they think "Oh boy, here comes Andy who won't shut up about Ron Paul".

TheGrinch
11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Andy, my question would be what is your goal? Do you want to "convert" people so that they believe everything the same as you do, read the books you do and listen to the lectures you do? Or are you looking to become politically active and simply work for like minded candidates to see them prevail in elections?

I would say if you are out to "convert" people you may be spending a lot of time, energy and wind up being frustrated unless you can come to the realization that people can agree on many issues yet disagree on others - and that there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, get 10 RPF members in the same room, and you are likely to get 10 different opinions on various issues, strategies, etc.

And also keep in mind, that many people do not have a large interest in political affairs outside of the election season, and going even deeper few people have an interest in political philosophy and ideology. You do not want to be the guy who people avoid because they think "Oh boy, here comes Andy who won't shut up about Ron Paul".

I think he means to spread the message of liberty and the support of honest candidates who don't take lobbyist money, at least I hope so.

So yes, while we may have disagreements on methods, the folks here all have the commonality of fighting for liberty. That's what we mean by "converting", which means that once their eyes are opened to how the system works, they won't be going back to the establishment hacks who have no interest in our liberty, Constitution, interests, etc.

Ron Paul is jsut the embodiement of those ideals that are absent in Washington, so please don't treat us like a cult of personality like I've seen you do before with backhanded insults.

Principle over party.

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I think he means to spread the message of liberty and the support of honest candidates who don't take lobbyist money, at least I hope so.

So yes, while we may have disagreements on methods, the folks here all have the commonality of fighting for liberty. That's what we mean by "converting", which means that once their eyes are opened to how the system works, they won't be going back to the establishment hacks who have no interest in our liberty, Constitution, interests, etc.

Ron Paul is jsut the embodiement of those ideals that are absent in Washington, so please don't treat us like a cult of personality like I've seen you do before with backhanded insults.

Principle over party.

Then if the goal is to convince people to vote for a particular candidate and make the political climate better for candidates who support the issues that are important to you then the answer is pretty simple - get involved. One's effectiveness is magnified by a power of 100 when they are in a position of influence. You do that by being involved in your community both in civic and political realms.

Look for opportunities in the community to become involved, whether it is a local organization like the Lions club, little league, church or whatever that gets you around other people whom you can demonstrate to them that you are a person who should be respected. Look for local political organizations and clubs that you can join whether it is a Young Republicans club, Tea Party group or whatever. Again you join, you volunteer, you gain notoriety and respect of your peers. And the biggest influence one can have is being elected to your county committee. From that position you have direct contact on a regular basis with hundreds of registered voters in your precinct, as well as having a voice on the direction your county takes when it comes to events, fundraising, voter registration drives and candidate endorsements.

TheGrinch
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Then if the goal is to convince people to vote for a particular candidate and make the political climate better for candidates who support the issues that are important to you then the answer is pretty simple - get involved. One's effectiveness is magnified by a power of 100 when they are in a position of influence. You do that by being involved in your community both in civic and political realms.

Look for opportunities in the community to become involved, whether it is a local organization like the Lions club, little league, church or whatever that gets you around other people whom you can demonstrate to them that you are a person who should be respected. Look for local political organizations and clubs that you can join whether it is a Young Republicans club, Tea Party group or whatever. Again you join, you volunteer, you gain notoriety and respect of your peers. And the biggest influence one can have is being elected to your county committee. From that position you have direct contact on a regular basis with hundreds of registered voters in your precinct, as well as having a voice on the direction your county takes when it comes to events, fundraising, voter registration drives and candidate endorsements.

Good post. I agree there is far more to be done locally (and of course is being done by many), however I think what he's asking here is how best to frame the message of liberty in a way that people can understand. Credibility and being in a position of influence does of course help, but I believe it can only take you so far in reaching the hearts and minds of the people who right now only vote based on what the media tells them. A self-fulfilling prophecy really..

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Good post. I agree there is far more to be done locally (and of course is being done by many), however I think what he's asking here is how best to frame the message of liberty in a way that people can understand. Credibility and being in a position of influence does of course help, but I believe it can only take you so far in reaching the hearts and minds of the people who right now only vote based on what the media tells them. A self-fulfilling prophecy really..

Having done this for many, many years I can tell you from experience that a well-networked, respected activist can have a much greater influence than the media. People will seriously consider voting for someone who is recommended by someone they know and respect. I have had my candidates win more primaries than they lost by a large margin, in my precinct. Due, in large part, to that personal connection that I had with the voters in my precinct.

As far as the "magic words" for lack of a better term, there are none. You just express what you stand for in the best possible means, without "talking down" to people or coming across as some sort of intellectual superior. And again, coming to grips with the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you on every issue is very important.

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
_S_L&

snowdog2012
11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.lrn.fm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcm7OxN4dw

amonasro
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. I find that converting people is generally a slow process. Although, for me, there was a definite AHA moment that occurred in a relatively short period of time , I still had to absorb enough information about politics and the world and question why things are the way they are, before that moment. Then you put all the pieces together and say, "oh shit" and you suddenly see things differently.

I think for many, the "information gathering" process can last from a few years to their entire life, depending on a lot of things. It can be intelligence, apathy, interests, personality, or even having a job, lifestyle or family that depends on a system they know is corrupt. So some people will come around easily, and some people will refuse to believe it even when it's staring them in the face.

LibertyEagle
11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Get involved with Ron Paul's Young Americans for Liberty. http://www.yaliberty.org/

deadfish
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Welcome Andy!

For starters, you could look into attending CPAC 2013 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?395364-CPAC-2013-THE-most-important-grassroots-project-right-now!).

It sounds like you are doing good job getting the word out, don't worry if they don't agree with you right away. Just plant the seeds. Most importantly, educate people on the news and corruption.

I recommend joining Gun Owners of America (GOA) instead of NRA.

And of course, obviously there will be plenty of Liberty candidates that just need money! And volunteers.

Adrock
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Andy,

I would say that you should focus on whatever your passion is and use that to further what you believe.

As for tips on communicating liberty better I have a few suggestions:
Be a salesman - Any good salesman will tell you that selling takes listening as well as speaking. Listen to what is important to who you are talking to. Then use that to relate the issue that is important to them to the broader idea of liberty. Make sure you have well thought out answers ready ahead of time. Also avoid the labels, they just turn people off.

Don't be discouraged if the light doesn't click for someone right away. This is like farming. You plant seeds, water them, and have patience

idiom
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LXSZw.jpg

Andyc3020
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Principle over party.

I may have misunderstood uou, but I'm curious what you mean about back handed insults. I have made comments about how people are idiots, but I would only make comments like that around like minded people. Maybe I shouldn't.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. This really seems like a great community.

I will reply to more posts when I get to a computer. Typing on this tablet is slow going.

Maximus
11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Depending on your means, you may want to buy 5 books "The Revolution: A Manifesto" and "End the Fed" (they are cheap on Amazon) and share them with friends and family if they seem open to it.

At first you sound like a voice in the wilderness, but people do listen. I've had people come up to me and say, "Okay you keep talking about this Ron Paul guy, where can I learn more about him?" And I'll link them to videos or give them a book.

You are doing all the right things. These things take time. You are challenging the entire worldview and prism that people view things through, they won't change over night. Keep up the good fight!

Pisces
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I may have misunderstood uou, but I'm curious what you mean about back handed insults. I have made comments about how people are idiots, but I would only make comments like that around like minded people. Maybe I shouldn't.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. This really seems like a great community.

I will reply to more posts when I get to a computer. Typing on this tablet is slow going.

I think Grinch was talking about CaptLou giving backhanded insults, not you.

TheGrinch
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM

That was reply to CaptnLou. Perhaps I have mischaracterized him, given his great advice in this thread, it does appear that he is interested in furthering our cause, rather than convincing on behalf of the "lesser of two evils" like I suspected before when the election was going on. But that's neither here nor there, I'm just protective of this forum and movement, perhaps sometimes too much so.

CaptLouAlbano
11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
That was reply to CaptnLou. Perhaps I have mischaracterized him, given his great advice in this thread, it does appear that he is interested in furthering our cause, rather than convincing on behalf of the "lesser of two evils" like I suspected before when the election was going on. But that's neither here nor there, I'm just protective of this forum and movement, perhaps sometimes too much so.

Well thanks. I try to help as I can. I've been at this for 50 years or so, and I think I have a fairly good idea of how things work based on experience. I just don't want to sound like a broken record (you kids know what a record is right)...but committee, committee, committee, committee - that's where the most power and influence is.

Example. Back in the 70's we had a State Senate primary. I was very supportive of a friend and business associate that was from the next county over, but in our district. Good, solid Old Right guy. Now very few people do much homework on State Senate primary candidates, and he was going up against an incumbent that had a big bankroll and lots of name recognition. But, nonetheless, I was able to get him nearly 90% in my precinct. It all had to do with the fact that the voters in my precinct knew me well and took my recommendation to heart. Now, he didn't win the primary - but I did what I could do for him and had darn good results.

NoOneButPaul
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
"Speak up, speak often & don't worry about those that at this point cannot understand as they can never un-hear what we tell them."-Ron Paul

This quote gives me great comfort and is coming from a man whose message fell on deaf ears for about 35 years.

Carson
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Welcome Andyc3020.

I don't know for sure.

When I first got started out working regular I did maintenance for a man that owned several companies. There was a bowling alley, restaurants, pool halls, and bars. There was also restaurants and bars in the restaurants and vice versa.

Anyway...

Upstairs in one of the restaurants was a bar that had a floor show that ran real regular. A Hypnotist Dr. Dean (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/historyofucsd/newsreleases/1998/19980210.html) was well know around the area.

I think my boss and I were invited to watch the show. It was pretty cool. He would get people out of the audience and take them up on stage. He would start in with his speil. Something like, "You are getting sleepy. Deeper and deeper. Your eyes are getting heavy. So heavy. Deeper and deeper. Your eyes are so heavy now that no matter how hard you try you can't even open them!"

He would have people acting like chickens and doing all sorts of harmless things you might otherwise feel inhibited from doing otherwise.

Before waking people he would help some with things like giving them a subliminal drive to stop smoking.

Anyway he put on a great show. I can't remember it all now.

Back then though I did remember it.

I worked there for years. I saw the show in full other times with friends. Mostly I would see parts of the show in little bits in passing.

The thing that hit me was it was pretty much the same show! He was getting up there an doing the same act over and over and over again. Before that I really didn't understand what putting on an act meant, I don't think. I mean sure he would clean up his act like my brother was always telling me to do. Or maybe freshen it up a bit. But basically he was getting out there and doing the same act over and over.

I didn't see how he could do that!? ‽‽

I think the thing that kept it alive for him was he always had new people that hadn't seen the show yet. It had to be what made it a pleasure for him to share. He did seem to show a special interest in each individual.

Anyway it was a great show. I think many of us here have to keep working on our acts. I know I repeat my speil enough I must get pretty annoying at times. Still people can easily skip my stuff if they've seen it. And I'm always trying to find new places to reach out to. I used to do a lot of writing in the on-line versions of new papers. Not so often the actual articles but I've been all over the place in the comment sections.

Dr. Sanford I. Berman (aka Dr. Michael Dean) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_I._Berman) did a great act. Ron Paul is another guy that has a great act. It is going to be a tough one to follow.

At first I was thinking you are showing up sort of late. Now I'm thinking your here at exactly the right time for you. Some of us are feeling pretty worn out right now. There is always room for a new act. The show must go on.

Carson
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
"Speak up, speak often & don't worry about those that at this point cannot understand as they can never un-hear what we tell them."-Ron Paul

This quote gives me great comfort and is coming from a man whose message fell on deaf ears for about 35 years.

I just put that one in with my keepers. It is one that shouldn't get so buried though.

P.S. So I put it in again with your part also.

Thanks, NoOneButPaul.

W..W
U
/ \

P.S. Andyc3020,

"I am obviously not doing something right."

Ha! Ha! I think we all get that feeling!

Perhaps you are doing it right.

jointhefightforfreedom
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Republicans in Georgia agree with you that taxation is theft, and far from making everybody pay income taxes, that nobody should pay income taxes?

Income taxes and the enforcement gestapo (irs) were one of the 1st monsters they created to steal from us and fund entitlements

we declared independence from king george for this reason !
So who is the KING over any of us ?
The answer is DEMOCRACY !! Your neighbors (friendly Dictators) who make up the majority who want Free shit from government
so they steal it from the rest of us !

jointhefightforfreedom
11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Depending on your means, you may want to buy 5 books "The Revolution: A Manifesto" and "End the Fed" (they are cheap on Amazon) and share them with friends and family if they seem open to it.

At first you sound like a voice in the wilderness, but people do listen. I've had people come up to me and say, "Okay you keep talking about this Ron Paul guy, where can I learn more about him?" And I'll link them to videos or give them a book.

You are doing all the right things. These things take time. You are challenging the entire worldview and prism that people view things through, they won't change over night. Keep up the good fight!

i would suggest educating as many as possible about what the constitution REALLY MEANS AND STANDS FOR

here is a good place to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7cPxmzJZ2w&list=PLEC06DD680441947A&feature=plcp

Uriah
11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong. The most important part of communicating is listening.

My best advice is to ask others what is most important to them. When they reply, listen, really listen to what they say. Based upon what they say, tell them how you, the constitution, Ron Paul, liberty share that view. Find common ground and work from there. My advice implies two things; 1)you must know what you're talking about which means you need to constantly educate yourself and 2) by listening to others you are building relationships and as others have said, you will gain respect which will ultimately give you and the liberty movement more credibility. Everything comes down to relationships.

mport1
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.lrn.fm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcm7OxN4dw

Yes, I should have mentioned LRN.fm (http://www.lrn.fm). An excellent source for spreading liberty!

LibertyEagle
11-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Having done this for many, many years I can tell you from experience that a well-networked, respected activist can have a much greater influence than the media. People will seriously consider voting for someone who is recommended by someone they know and respect. I have had my candidates win more primaries than they lost by a large margin, in my precinct. Due, in large part, to that personal connection that I had with the voters in my precinct.

As far as the "magic words" for lack of a better term, there are none. You just express what you stand for in the best possible means, without "talking down" to people or coming across as some sort of intellectual superior. And again, coming to grips with the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you on every issue is very important.

I think this is very true.

Andyc3020
11-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Well I guess they don't completely agree at first at least. What I should say is they believe government spending should be cut instead of taxes being raised. They are still lightyears away from agreeing now that you mention it.