PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Ron Paul isn't that scary

curtisag
11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
...It's that over-do-gooder Mike Huckabee who should be making conservatives nervous.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-goldberg20nov20,0,5666123.column?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

Paulitician
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice article. Not too positive on Paul, but then again not so negative either. He attacks Huckabee more than anything, and shows him to be the statist, anti-small government and pro-taxes kind of person that he is.

Biggest objection to the article:

I would not vote for Paul mostly because I think his foreign policy would be disastrous
Because this foreign policy has been such a great gift from God, right? Utterly ridiculous.

Mandrik
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
As the hopeless but energetic presidential campaign of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas)...

Do I really have to continue reading?

adwads
A disastrous foreign policy? When did the Republican party become leftist intervenionatlists? Why are they so war crazy?

Ron LOL
Read that article last night. I was hopeful based on the title, but it wasn't so great.

I'd like to see the author defend his statement RE: foreign policy.

Mandrik
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Read that article last night. I was hopeful based on the title, but it wasn't so great.

I'd like to see the author defend his statement RE: foreign policy.

Ok, I read it. :p And yes, I'd love to see him defend his foreign policy statement.

When I talk to folks about RP, I always bring up foreign policy. When I ask them if they knew that we have bases in 130 countries, 90% of the time they look at me in shock. Rather than give them my opinion, I ask what they think. Almost everyone I talk to, Republicans and Democrats alike, agree that we have no business building bases in other countries. "Didn't the Korean War end a long time ago?" "WWII was over so long ago, why are we still there?" I usually refer to what RP says, "What would we think if China was building bases over here, or was in the Gulf of Mexico?"

This also is the best way to really wake someone up on the things this country is doing that we absolutely shouldn't be.

improv241
11-20-2007, 05:09 PM
best line... "Huckabee is the bastard child of Lou Dobbs and Pat Robertson. "

kylejack
11-20-2007, 05:11 PM
best line... "Huckabee is the bastard child of Lou Dobbs and Pat Robertson. "

That really is a great line, and very apt. He's an excessively-religious populist evangelist.

improv241
11-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't have issues with the religious aspect. However, I do fear his view of our foreign policy. Preserving the name of the US...couldn't agree with paul more. We're just saving face.

Cindy
11-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Huckabee understands that the unpopular stuff is the economic libertarianism: free trade and smaller government

:confused::confused::confused:

Unpopular with whom?

Seanmc30
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Do I really have to continue reading?

Here, here! Do columnists get some kind of yellow journalism merit badge when they start an article like this? It seems to be the norm these days, and its getting really annoying, what happened to objectivity?

Corydoras
11-20-2007, 08:40 PM
The title IS important. It will have an effect on everyone who so much as glances at it, even if they don't read the article.

I'm sick of the articles that really seriously demonize Dr. Paul and us. Some people really ARE scared of us, you know, because we're more passionate than any political crowd they've ever seen that isn't actually rioting, and because our candidate isn't slick and plastic.

And I think a passage like this is VERY beneficial for us, as well as being deeply funny:

Let's even say that Paul has the passionate support of the Legion of Doom, that his campaign lunchroom looks like the "Star Wars" cantina, and that many of his top advisors actually have hooves.

Well, I would still find him less scary than Mike Huckabee.