PDA

View Full Version : Throw Football in the Woods!

Anti Federalist
11-10-2012, 03:46 PM
This always agitates everybody.

Fuuuuhhhhhhhtttball: The Modern Two Minutes’ Hate

November 9, 2012
By eric

http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/11/09/fuuuuhhhhhhhtttball-the-modern-two-minutes-hate/

Strong passions have to be released somehow. Else, they might erupt in unpredictable ways.

The state understands this – and desires that strong passions be released in a harmless – to the state – way. Enter the modern, near universal obsession – in particular, the male obsession – with fuuuhhhhhhhhhttttttttttball and organized, mass spectacle sports generally. These things are the actualization of the fictional Two Minutes’ Hate in Orwell’s 1984. A means by which the passions – the frustrations and anger of men in particular – are diverted and dissipated. In order that they aren’t directed at anything actually important – such as the ever-increasing control exercised over men by the state. The stifling of independent action, the punishment of deviation from any official orthodoxy… and most of all, the relentless suppression of independent judgment and self-reliance.

The systematic thwarting, simply put – of a normal man’s inclination to be a man.

The average man has virtually no real control over his life in modern America. He must Submit and Obey at every turn, from the moment he awakes to the moment he lays his head down on the pillow at night. He must never raise his voice, at work or in public. He must avoid confrontation at all costs. (This lesson, in particular, is really being hammered home to today’s boys – who are told in no uncertain terms by the authorities that they cannot even defend themselves when attacked by a bully. And the boys’ fathers are told they must teach them to accept this.)

He must stew in silent, impotent fury as a cop half his age lectures him about “buckling up for safety” in front of his kids. Or as he submits to having his wife and kids get fondled by useless-eater (and probably pedophilic) blue-shirted poltroons at the airport. He must put up with being told what to do – and even worse, what not to do – by smarmy little busybodies, stretchpants-wearing fraus. From the PTA to the DMV to the HOA, he is hectored and hemmed in at every turn.

He probably can’t even paint his own damn house without first begging permission from the local Gertrud Schlotz-Klink… and if he doesn’t beg permission first, the old bag will just make a call. A lien or some other encumbrance will be put on his place. Or, the thug scrum will come. So, he surrenders. He Submits… and Obeys. He Does What He is Told. And along the way, he becomes something less than a man. At some gut level, he knows it, too. He feels emasculated – because he has been emasculated.

And the rage boils within him, silently, helplessly… .

But, release awaits. He can click on the TeeVee and feel – temporarily – empowered. He can bask in the reflected glory of “his” team. He imagines himself to be a part of the spectacle – a member of the community of men once more. If “we” win, he feels proud and strong. He will literally puff out his chest and strut. He feels as though something has been accomplished. By him personally.

Because a team of paid entertainers won a game – a child’s contest.

On the other hand, if “we” lose, he is dejected – sometimes, for days on end. He feels like a failure. And, he is angry. But in a way utterly harmless to the state. He seethes, he yells, he shakes his fist… at the enemy “team” on the screen.

Never at the true enemy… .

Finally, at last – “we” win! Hurrah! He bellows like a Cape Buffalo because “his” team has made the play-offs! Go, team! He swells with second-hand pride – pathetically displaying the flag of “his” team on his vehicles …and even sometimes to the extent of having an actual flagpole erected on his lawn. He wears the colors, he buys the merchandise… .

His ups and downs coincide with the fortunes of “his” team. His social interactions revolve around the doings of “his” team. Hey, did you watch the game last night? What’s the score? How about those (insert here)….. Instead of discussing the things that matter and which actually affect his life, he talks about… “the game.” Endlessly. So do other ex-men.

He – and they – know virtually nothing about the events of the day – much less of history, or of what the patterns of history suggest as regards the likely events of tomorrow.

But he knows all about the current NFC rankings. He tracks the doings of his “fantasy” team… agonizing over his “picks” and the possible “picks” made by the ex-men he “plays” against.

He knows – often down to the most exacting and minute detail – the statistics of “his” team or favorite athalete. Such things are matters of urgent – and turgid – importance to him. Nothing else matters. Indeed, he has time for nothing else. “The game” – the games – take up most of his free time, in addition to the hard drive space in his brain. He is marinated in jock-juice – an ironic thing, because more often than not he is himself in terrible physical shape: overweight, hypertensive… .

But he is a fan – truly, in the actual derivation of that word. Of course, he is a fanatic about something utterly irrelevant.

Which is precisely, exactly, what is desired

It has been said that religion is the opiate of the masses. But religions center on values – and so, upon philosophy. In other words, on things that matter.

The game does not matter.

Fuuhhhhhhhtttttballl worship is ingenious.

All the natural – healthy – emotions (including anger) are stifled – then adroitly redirected. Instead of being furious about having to submit to random searches by an increasingly tyrannical state, the gelded, stoop-shouldered creature sitting in front of his TeeVeee is apopletic that “we” weren’t able to go the extra few inches on third and three. That idiot coach called the wrong play! That quarterback is worthless.

It is never: These politicians are worthless.

The jocksniffers are too addled by the fumes emanating from the underthings of their favorite He-crush to think such thoughts. Or to even have time for such thoughts. They live in a happy, soporific bubble of faux community and ersatz masculinity. What’s the NDAA? The government is flying drones over American airpsace? People are being placed on “domestic extremist” watch lists because they have Ron Paul stickers on their vehicles or have expressed “constitutionalist” sentiments? Boring. (Cue Homer Simpson).

The game is on…

Throw it in the Woods...

MelissaWV
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Or people could genuinely enjoy watching football, and some of them can still manage to be activists. I know. That's not really an option. Maybe it's because I enjoy football and I'm not a guy :p

Todd
11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Alot of people enjoy football. Sometimes you gotta turn off the Forums and get away.

tod evans
11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
My favorite is those who yell at the TV...

Never understood, don't want to.

AGRP
11-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Same goes for a lot of pointless activities that basically serve to curb reality. How many first shooter video game junkies felt, own, or have ever picked up a real gun?

tod evans
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Same goes for a lot of pointless activities that basically serve to curb reality. How many first shooter video game junkies felt, own, or have ever picked up a real gun?

Had my first gun, a .410, in 1968, still can't play video games...

acptulsa
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8&feature=related

They cut off the punchline at the end, but I still remember it. 'They kept hollerin', "Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!" Seemed to me to be an awful lot of trouble to go to for twenty-five cents.'

fisharmor
11-10-2012, 04:26 PM
During my compulsory state indoctrination, the local counties were all winding down their ikndustrial arts classes.
In my time, if you took shop, you were an underling who was destined to service air conditiomers with your shirt ujntucked.
A friend who went through 8 years later had to travell across the county to find a still operatiing shop.

But by all the gods they could name, YOU WILL ATTEND THE PEP RALLY.

MelissaWV
11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Alot of people enjoy football. Sometimes you gotta turn off the Forums and get away.
Nahhh.

heavenlyboy34
11-10-2012, 04:37 PM
(This lesson, in particular, is really being hammered home to today’s boys – who are told in no uncertain terms by the authorities that they cannot even defend themselves when attacked by a bully. And the boys’ fathers are told they must teach them to accept this.)

OMG, SRSLY?! WTF! I was allowed to defend myself against bullies in school. This is friggin crazy. :(

Demigod
11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
The average man has virtually no real control over his life in modern America. He must Submit and Obey at every turn, from the moment he awakes to the moment he lays his head down on the pillow at night. He must never raise his voice, at work or in public. He must avoid confrontation at all costs. (This lesson, in particular, is really being hammered home to today’s boys – who are told in no uncertain terms by the authorities that they cannot even defend themselves when attacked by a bully. And the boys’ fathers are told they must teach them to accept this

Ah the submission of football fans :rolleyes:.

AF watch this the submissive part really starts at 37 seconds :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H71dx8eMSPk

Or here when the police tries to show who is boss to a fan,I love the submission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUnkITOZ6Ts

Of course watch this,it is about a kid whose father and brother are in jail after being falsely convicted of murder just so they can take their house and build a mall,guess who supports the family,ah yes football fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8DzhGe9D4cs

Then there is this situations where fans stopped the rioters from stealing in England

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suns434gYaU

If your version of submission is where every game the referees are cursed upon,spit at and the national federations called thief's while fighting with the police.Of course there is time for politics as well,that is after the game when you go for beer and after the 4th one everyone is a politician.

PaulConventionWV
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Not many, but if and when they do, the results can be disastrous.

As for football, I have never really understood it. I don't know why it's so much fun to watch to other people. I only find it mildly entertaining because of the dynamics of what's happening. The people who live and breathe football absolutely disgust me. I can't, for the life of me, understand why it matters so much to them. I also don't understand why they derive such joy from it. It's not even that exciting. I find the sport of track and field much more enjoyable because it shows true grit. What I see when I watch football is a bunch of guys lining up and hitting each other a certain number of times before the other team gets to hold the ball and do it. The little physical prowess that these athletes have is used in a matter of seconds before they walk around touching each other's butts for another minute while the fans and judges count some more numbers.

Of course, I have to admit I find myself joining in the "team" aspect from time to time. It's hard not to and still be a sociable person. I root for the team that I have some association with when I'm around people who are also associated with that team, but I really don't spend much time revelling in excitement over the team's achievements. I really can't stand conversations about football, especially "fantasy" football. To me, it's a fantasy within a fantasy. It's boring.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
LOL - Yah, I should have made it clear, I'm talking about US "Hand Egg" not European "Foot Ball".

And it's just another sad commentary, that even the feckless Limeys will burn down the red light cameras while we meekily submit.

Ah the submission of football fans

John F Kennedy III
11-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I love football!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLjobt6PaM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iNeuKQyRCY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxMz5h11CU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPQoFwVkrk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAPvICrEI8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

John F Kennedy III
11-10-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK21LwJ195E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA47vcWAQno&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOt7V2VSAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

heavenlyboy34
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Not many, but if and when they do, the results can be disastrous.

As for football, I have never really understood it. I don't know why it's so much fun to watch to other people. I only find it mildly entertaining because of the dynamics of what's happening. The people who live and breathe football absolutely disgust me. I can't, for the life of me, understand why it matters so much to them. I also don't understand why they derive such joy from it. It's not even that exciting. I find the sport of track and field much more enjoyable because it shows true grit. What I see when I watch football is a bunch of guys lining up and hitting each other a certain number of times before the other team gets to hold the ball and do it. The little physical prowess that these athletes have is used in a matter of seconds before they walk around touching each other's butts for another minute while the fans and judges count some more numbers.

Of course, I have to admit I find myself joining in the "team" aspect from time to time. It's hard not to and still be a sociable person. I root for the team that I have some association with when I'm around people who are also associated with that team, but I really don't spend much time revelling in excitement over the team's achievements. I really can't stand conversations about football, especially "fantasy" football. To me, it's a fantasy within a fantasy. It's boring.
I feel the same way about football. IMO, it's the most boring game ever invented. However, it can be fun to watch quality athletes perform sometimes. I can appreciate the work it takes to become a high-performance athlete. Like the Olympics-I love most events. I also like a good martial arts match. :cool: (judo is awesome! :D ) I suspect doing martial arts as a hobby/exercise form makes it more interesting for me. :toady:

fisharmor
11-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I also like a good martial arts match.

That's different.
I really enjoy boxing too, which is also different.
A sport that consists of little more than "Hey here are some cursory guidelines to keep you from FUCKING KILLING the other guy" is quite another matter entirely.

The last time I watched football, it lasted about 90 seconds.
Some guy ran a brilliant play and scored a touchdown.
Then he pulled a rag from his belt and dusted off his shoes.
FLAG.
WTF?
"Improper use of a prop during a celebration".
WTF?

Seriously, that's the last time I'm ever going to watch football.
The guy who dusted off his shoes doesn't have the balls to step into a ring for money.
The guys who made that ridiculous rule doesn't have the balls to step into a ring for money.

The whole affair is nothing more than WWF for people who find obscure rules violations more interesting than dialogue.

And Fantasy Football? Don't get me started on that shit.
I played D&D in high school, and all you fuckers made fun of me.
But you know what?
I stopped playing fantasy games.

heavenlyboy34
11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
That's different.
I really enjoy boxing too, which is also different.
A sport that consists of little more than "Hey here are some cursory guidelines to keep you from FUCKING KILLING the other guy" is quite another matter entirely.

The last time I watched football, it lasted about 90 seconds.
Some guy ran a brilliant play and scored a touchdown.
Then he pulled a rag from his belt and dusted off his shoes.
FLAG.
WTF?
"Improper use of a prop during a celebration".
WTF?

Seriously, that's the last time I'm ever going to watch football.
The guy who dusted off his shoes doesn't have the balls to step into a ring for money.
The guys who made that ridiculous rule doesn't have the balls to step into a ring for money.

The whole affair is nothing more than WWF for people who find obscure rules violations more interesting than dialogue.

And Fantasy Football? Don't get me started on that shit.
I played D&D in high school, and all you fuckers made fun of me.
But you know what?
I stopped playing fantasy games.
LOL +rep :D

angelatc
11-10-2012, 08:53 PM
LOL - Yah, I should have made it clear, I'm talking about US "Hand Egg" not European "Foot Ball".

And it's just another sad commentary, that even the feckless Limeys will burn down the red light cameras while we meekily submit.

Not the Limeys, AFAIK. The Frogs would have none of them though.

I like football, though.

Son of Detroit
11-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Go Blue.

angelatc
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Go Blue.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Being born and bred a Buckeye, I meant that I liked good football.

donnay
11-10-2012, 09:06 PM
This will be next to entertain the masses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axnqu9vkqFQ&feature=related

MelissaWV
11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
So none of you find it kind of funny that some of the same people harping on what a pointless waste of time football is, are online finding memes and videos and articles to support their point of view much of the day?

specsaregood
11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
This will be next to entertain the masses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axnqu9vkqFQ&feature=related

Not too far removed from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMEitOoi6w

jim49er
11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Give me liberty and my niners

cajuncocoa
11-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Aw, heck no I'm not giving up my football!! I can multi-task!!

AGRP
11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I think the point was missed by a lot of people about the topic beings how sports serves a distraction. I dont know if this was mentioned, but games take place on the weekends and holidays. Why? Because a lot of people aren't working! Its not only a diversion of emotions, but of highly valuable free time that could be used to do other things.

angelatc
11-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I think the point was missed by a lot of people about the topic beings how sports serves a distraction. I dont know if this was mentioned, but games take place on the weekends and holidays. Why? Because a lot of people aren't working! Its not only a diversion of emotions, but of highly valuable free time that could be used to do other things.

And I think the points you're missing is that most people consider their work time valuable, and prefer to freaking relax after hours.

John F Kennedy III
11-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Being born and bred a Buckeye, I meant that I liked good football.

Oh snap!

John F Kennedy III
11-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Give me liberty and my niners

I heard William Wallace say this once :)

TCE
11-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I like football, although basketball trumps it. No need to worry, haters of football. It is slowly destroying itself. It is currently winding down from its golden age, although like the federal government, it will take some time. As more awareness of the dangers of football are uncovered, fewer and fewer parents will permit their kids to play and the game will begin regressing. Pretty soon, it will become like smoking. Everyone knows how dangerous it is, but some people will do it anyway. Viewers will feel guilty watching it. Who wants to feel guilty? This is if the current lawsuit against the NFL is won by the league, of course. If the class action is won by the players suing, it will likely be a much faster collapse.