PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs that don't light, washers that don't wash, toilets that don't flush.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Cars that don't go, cleaners that don't clean, showers that don't spray...

Nothing, and I mean nothing chaps my ass worse than being forced into a new age of shoddy by government decree all for the sake of being "green".

One of the biggest scams in humanity's history.

Mrs. AF bought one of these monstrosities that I despise, it actually can pull off the impossible, rendering clothes dirtier and stinkier at the end rather than beginning, by infusing them with that stale, musty HE washer stank and funk.

The Curse of Government Washing Machines

by Karen De Coster

http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster197.html

Many folks never stop to think about the impact that government mandates have on every single facet of their daily lives. Take just one example, and that is the interminable string of decrees on the part of the governmental-environmental-green complex and the ensuing repercussions on the lives of individuals.

This interesting article on Epinions discusses the impact of federal energy efficiency standards for washing machines, including (1) the myths of energy savings (2) the long-term, negative environmental impacts of the high-efficiency machines, and (3) the cost to consumers of the government’s high-efficiency, short-lived washers. The writer notes:

Too many large appliance products are now being engineered to meet priorities that do not include a reasonable interval between repairs and a service life commensurate with their initial cost.

…All high efficiency, high-speed spin washers (both top and front-load) invariably possess a motherboard and a host of electronic parts, and according to those who repair them for a living, washers crammed with multiple electronic sensors, touchpads, digital displays, and miniaturized circuit boards tend to need more frequent repair – i.e. – replacement. They must be kept on an electrical circuit with functioning surge protection, because their vulnerable and expensive solid-state components can easily degrade or burn out with electrical power surges.

The writer points out that the federal government’s 2007 Energy Star standards have, for the most part, eliminated the traditional design for washing machines because those machines cannot obtain the government’s certifications, unlike the newer devices that manufacturers have turned out to specifically meet federal requirements.

I never bought into the high-efficiency (HE) concept, and in fact I have always despised the newfangled front-loader design. I was right when I assumed the opinion that those atrocities were nothing more than an environmental stunt and marketing scam, backed by the force of politics and special interests. Consumers have been sucked into buying these things because of their keen looks and pretty colors. Almost everyone I know has a front-loading machine.

Until November 2009, I still had my mother's old machines that were 20-ish years old, and they worked great, for years, before they both began to slowly poop out. When the dryer ceased to dry in one cycle, and the agitator on my washing machine began to puncture numerous holes in my clothes, it was time to get new appliances. I bought a Kenmore HE washer and dryer combo, on Black Friday at Sears, at half-price.

I did not seek, or want, HE appliances. But I did desire a washer without an agitator, and mostly because of my agonizing two-year battle with my old washer to keep my clothes free of holes. I was planted firmly in the anti-agitator camp. So I wanted an agitator-free top loader, but since those models were all HE, I walked away with the purchase of a new, top-loading HE washer and matching dryer. I should have listened to the appliance salesman at Sears who told me, "You really shouldn’t blame the agitator." In retrospect, it is clear that I blew it on this purchase. And that agitates the heck out of me.

This inefficient, high-efficiency thing has done nothing but break down since I bought it. It once ate, and I mean shredded to bits, an entire blanket, causing the washer to jam up, and the dang water could not empty out of the washer. Service call. The water sat there for two days and stunk up the basement after I gave up on bailing it out. The appliance repairman told me that high-efficiency washers tend to eat delicate stuff because of the high spin speed. Also, I was told, "Oh, you can't wash rugs. These things spin too fast and the weight of rugs will break the drums and other parts. You need to take your rugs to the laundromat." I had been washing my rugs due to hosting a perpetual dog hair festival in my house, and I'll be darn if I will own a washing machine that insists that I go to a laundromat to wash them.

So this piece of junk breaks all the time (I have the 5-year, extended warranty), it eats delicate things, it can't spin rugs, you have to use special HE soap, and it has so many computer boards and electronic parts that it breaks down more quickly than you can say, "my computer is hour-glassing again..." Also, I've had to spin and re-spin clothes many times because the washer doesn't spin the clothes dry enough, thus leading to throwing eighty pounds of water-logged clothes in the dryer, therefore sucking up even more energy from dryer use and repeating drying cycles, and potentially breaking my dryer from the excess weight load. I’ve set my dryer on back-to-back 70-minute cycles in order to dry saturated clothes. Energy savings indeed! Just like the government-mandated, low-flow toilets where the flow is so low that they don't move molehills, let alone mountains.

Well, my washing machine broke again two weeks ago, and if I could lift it like I can lift a laptop, I’m sure I would have hurled it across the basement. Eventually, the machine started working again when I fussed with it a bit, and that lasted a couple of washes while I held my breath waiting for the machine to spite me once and for all. So indeed, it broke again last week, and it took forever for me to get the lid lock to unlock (!) so I could get my clothes out and take them to the laundromat. I had to invent a hatful of magician’s tricks just to get the jaws open to get at my clothes. Then it brazenly hissed at me, followed by the beeping and flashing of numbers and letters in the display in an obsessive-compulsive rage. What a useless piece of crap.

For the most part, we shall not put the blame the manufacturer – instead, blame the government and the politicization of every aspect of our lives. Here’s another passage from the writer of the article.

The government assumes that all high-efficiency, high-speed-spin washer owners – regardless of brand/model - are satisfied with the cleanliness of their clothes and aren't fudging with extra wash or rinse cycles, nor using more hot water in order to increase cleaning power (or to reduce widely-reported high-efficiency front-load washer odors). For those of you who don't precisely match the assumptions in the government model (washing mostly in cold water, using an indoor/outdoor clothesline or drying rack, using a high efficiency solar water heater or heat pump, or washing fewer than eight family-size loads of laundry per week), don’t count on saving much money before you pay to replace that washer again!

I’m tired of being without a washer and waiting for a Saturday repair appointment or taking time off during the week to meet the repairman. And while I wait for the appointment, I drag my clothes to the laundromat, burning $4/gallon petroleum to get there and back, and when I get there I use age-old, 1980s-style, "inefficient" machines to waste the water I was supposedly saving with my new machine that wastes energy, time, money, parts, landfill space, and human energy.

The Sears repairman came by, and I noted he loves to talk. He cornered me in the kitchen with a long conversation following his news, "Sorry, I don’t carry the part you need. It’s going to be several days before we can get the part." I asked him why these newer things were such pieces of crapola, hoping to engage him in one of my dissident discussions.

This man needed no impetus from me – he went on and on about how the government has created these malfunctioning monstrosities, why he will never buy a modern washing machine, and why everyone should look for the more reliable fix-up relics from the past. He fessed up that everyone in the industry – manufacturers, retailers, repairmen, etc. – know that these government-inefficient contraptions are no good, and the challenges of high-efficiency design means they can never be built to last without triggering significant cost increases to the consumer. Thus, in order to manufacture and sell washing appliances at an affordable price, the producers are squeezed to design and build malfunctioning junk that "saves the planet" while the consumers of these products are saddled with green-induced landfill paraphernalia.

In summary, the government’s green totalitarianism has created a massive economic inefficiency with its energy-and-money-wasting, "high efficiency" washing machines.

On a macro level, there exists a diversion of resources due to manufacturers rushing to meet government "voluntary compliance" standards and mandates. Manufacturers are forced to rush shoddy designs to market to meet mandates instead of strategically directing long-term resources toward research and design implementation as desired by consumers in the marketplace.

Wasted energy resources through repeated cycles (spin, wash, extra drying, or otherwise) on the part of users to maintain previous standards for the cleanliness, dryness, and wrinkle effect of clothes.

Increased maintenance and repair cost to consumers over the life of the machine due to the mandates forcing manufacturers to implement substandard product design.

Economic inefficiency to consumers due to the shorter life span of the machine.

Huge landfill graveyards of non-repairable machines that are discarded because they are too costly to be fixed.

When my warranty runs out in 2014, this puppy is going on Craigslist as a "cheap, damaged good," and if that doesn't get any takers, out to the curb she goes, for the garbage pickers.

I'll buy a used, old-fashioned, ugly, water-hogging, rebuilt, grandma washer, as sold by many local fellas who make a living fixing up and selling used appliances.

Until then, I'll keep washing my rugs and keep breaking this thing, and Sears will keep fixing it, on their dime.

acptulsa
11-10-2012, 03:20 PM
They're trying to turn us into a nation of repairmen. After all, nothing is worse for the environment than a discarded major appliance or automobile.

I can just see us talking to our grandchildren. 'Yes, there was a time when we kind of liked for something to wear out, because the new ones were actually better than the old ones. We used to call it "technological progress"'...

Carson
11-10-2012, 03:51 PM
A while back they took the phosphates out of the dish soap.

I was thinking they looked awful greasy.

I put it right back in. Now they sparkle.

They friken sparkle!!!!!

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

*takes breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

They replaced the washing machines at my apartment complex with those new front load jobs. I tried them out once. I was going to tell you what I thought about them but I don't want to offend any gay people. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But anyway I put my cloths in there, fired it up, and it sprinkled water on them like it had a limp wrist!

What is going on?

Do we have to go through the whole thing of people getting sick because someone decided that washing dishes wasn't that important? I had just barely crawled out of the cave on that one.

Perhaps every time they counterfeit a dollar it goes into the hands of someone that really shouldn't be getting the voting power of a dollar. They print up so many they are able to out vote the dollars of the people that do know what they are doing!

Carson
11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
P.S. It hasn't been so long that I can't remember my Grandmother and Aunt hanging on furiously to their old wash tubs and wash boards.

There was a new laundry mat that had the latest top loading machines I have been accustomed to all of my life. They said they didn't work as good.

What the ladies liked on washing day was to all go to the old laundry where they had wash tubs and boards. It is sort of hazy but I sort of remember an open square tub with an agitator in the middle ( no men allowed except for hauling in and out pretty much.). I don't think there was a lid. There were sticks around that you could poke at stuff with. Sometimes they would be poking. Other times that ol'stick would gab in and out would come the piece of laundry they were fishing for. If it didn't look just right they would be at the washing board scrubbing away on it. I sort of think there might have been rinse tubs but maybe the wash water was replaced with clean.

Warsh day was quite a ritual.

Oh and Granny didn't like finding bullets in your pockets while she was beating on things!

Carson
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I forgot about the wringers! Maybe that was her beef with the bullets.

Also I was thinking the tubs were square but these look familiar.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/Grannystyle.jpg

As do hand wringers.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/laundryroomdesigns.jpg

Origanalist
11-10-2012, 04:26 PM
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4835657189818595&pid=15.1

awake
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Wonder why? It's one group of producers using the government to attack a competitive group of producers who they envy. Seeing as they can't out compete, they simply wine to the government [lobbying] to hobble the other guys that make better stuff. The consumer is left with inferior crap thanks to people who suck at making things, hiring criminals to threaten their betters. Think Lance Armstrong; His competitors love that he is being stripped.. It gives them a chance to be the top cyclist with out being compared to the great one.

That about sums it up.

Case in point: Apple vs. Samsung. Apple has had Samsung covered in patent goons all because they make a competing product. God forbid they might want to sell it in "Apples market"... Farce , fraud and cronyism. As a purchasing human being you loose by this behavior.

presence
11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Can't find a clip but Mike West of "New South", "Clothes Dryer"

lyrics

http://www.mikewest.net/songs/new_south/clothes_dryer.html

heavenlyboy34
11-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Hell yes, throw that new-fangled "green" shit in a fucking river. Fuck the low-flo showerheads too. It takes twice as long to get the shampoo out of my hair with those things. :mad:

presence
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Hell yes, throw that new-fangled "green" shit in a fucking river. Fuck the low-flo showerheads too. It takes twice as long to get the shampoo out of my hair with those things. :mad:

Don't get mad get even. There's a little plastic washer in there. Unscrew head, remove washer, put head back on gooseneck.

-plumber

Tpoints
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
They're trying to turn us into a nation of repairmen. After all, nothing is worse for the environment than a discarded major appliance or automobile.

I can just see us talking to our grandchildren. 'Yes, there was a time when we kind of liked for something to wear out, because the new ones were actually better than the old ones. We used to call it "technological progress"'...

aka, a nation of employed people. Tell that to the people who can't stop bitching about joblessness.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2012, 05:55 PM
aka, a nation of employed people. Tell that to the people who can't stop bitching about joblessness.

Meh, better jobs and wages would be had manufacturing high quality durable goods than can be made fixing cheap Chinese and Mexican made crap.

Tpoints
11-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Meh, better jobs and wages would be had manufacturing high quality durable goods than can be made fixing cheap Chinese and Mexican made crap.

the person who doesn't have a job doesn't care whether there are going to be "better jobs" while he's waiting on his (any).

kathy88
11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I hate my HE washer. It freaking reeks.

Danke
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
"Light bulbs that don't light"

You light candles, you turn on light bulbs. Can't help you with your wash machine, though.

mac_hine
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
How Government is Unraveling Civilization by Force | Jeffrey Tucker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiSnQAfSH1Q

youngbuck
11-10-2012, 11:25 PM
I have an HE washer that actually works quite well. I can't necessarily attest to it's water or electricity savings, but it does clean my clothes as good as any other washer I've used - just takes a little longer than a non-HE washer.

angelatc
11-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I still have an older washer that's got next to no electronics in it. The only thing that's tempted me to upgrade was an LG unit that washed and dried. (Popular in Europe, I think.) But reading the reviews, I saw that they were ventless, and the lint gathered in a part of the machine that wasn't serviceable by mere mortals. So, I'm still toting around my 25 year old appliances. The gasket on the dryer came loose. I found a replacement for $30 - for a round piece of rubber? Uh, plan b: found some glue in a drawer.

Too bad - somebody should have told Karen you can buy agitators. And they're easy to install, too.

FrancisMarion
11-11-2012, 12:17 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/85-86-87-88-BMW-535I-STEERING-GEAR-RACK-POWER-STEERING-/00/$(KGrHqIOKkQE3r7QqCd3BO!Tw8fNSQ~~_35.JPG

^^^^Remember bumpers?

TheNewYorker
11-11-2012, 01:09 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. I have found many great energy efficient appliances that work just great. But I do lots of research before buying anything. Because I have got some things that suck, but I learned my lesson. Got a new Maytag made in USA bravos xl washer and dryer set, HE and energy star. It ROCKS. It's a Toploader with glass top. Cleanest clothes I have ever had. And it has saved me so much money on my energy and water bills it practically paid for itself already. And the XL capacity has saved me so much time as well. Light bulbs that don't light? Get LEDS. stay away from the CFL's impressed you buy the good ones that don't have to heat up before reaching full brightness. Low flow shower head... I purchased a waterpik ecoflow. Do not notice a difference whatsoever in water pressure because I stayed away from the other brands that had bad reviews. I did notice my water bill had dropped by about $20 though so in two Billing cycles it Will pay for itself. My only complaint is that is made it of plastic but what isn't these days? Besides it's a handheld one and I don't have to worry about it hurting if I drop it on my foot.

TheNewYorker
11-11-2012, 01:14 AM
I have an HE washer that actually works quite well. I can't necessarily attest to it's water or electricity savings, but it does clean my clothes as good as any other washer I've used - just takes a little longer than a non-HE washer. yes it takes longer because it spins the water all out... This leads to practically dry clothes when it comes out of the washer. So I rarely have to use my dryer wHich has saved so much money

opal
11-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I've always hated the front loading machines.. refused to get one when we got the house in 07.. had to get a washer and dryer though.. hard to find a top loader that made me happy but did get one that works. I'm still not wild that there's no such thing as a warm rinse though - I can however, have an extra rinse cycle with this one.

my 80s model fridge (that I absolutely adored) just crapped out a couple weeks ago (kenmore model 87 if anyone remembers it) It just stopped cooling at all one day.. then the next day the small door on the front fell off.. and completely shattered. expiration date must have been that week.

We got a used fridge.. that I'm not as happy with but when you need a fridge... if it fits in the space and works.. and doesn't cost a grand... done.

RockEnds
11-11-2012, 07:53 AM
I still have an older washer that's got next to no electronics in it. The only thing that's tempted me to upgrade was an LG unit that washed and dried. (Popular in Europe, I think.) But reading the reviews, I saw that they were ventless, and the lint gathered in a part of the machine that wasn't serviceable by mere mortals. So, I'm still toting around my 25 year old appliances. The gasket on the dryer came loose. I found a replacement for $30 - for a round piece of rubber? Uh, plan b: found some glue in a drawer.

Too bad - somebody should have told Karen you can buy agitators. And they're easy to install, too.

My son had one of those in his apartment in Korea. I've no idea what brand it was, but it was one of those units that washes and dries. He hated it. That said, he's the kind that irons absolutely everything, but he complained more about his laundry than about not being able to drive for a year. He said something about the clothes looking like they had come out of the trash compactor.

I'm still nursing my not very new top loading washer. I have a trash tie around the lid switch. I took it apart and glued it once, but it broke again after about a year. I should probably just order a new one. They're only $10, but when the thing breaks it's always in the middle of a load, and it needs to be fixed asap. Amazon's fast, but not fast enough to get that load done that day. The local hardware store wanted around $50 for the same part. I'll buy local when the price is a little higher, but not that much higher. Maybe I should order that thing this afternoon--while the switch is still working.

KCIndy
11-11-2012, 09:20 AM

+Rep ten times over. I was getting ready to launch a rant about exactly that subject.

Don't get mad get even. There's a little plastic washer in there. Unscrew head, remove washer, put head back on gooseneck.

-plumber

I always do! :D Unfortunately, some of the newest models seem to be created so that's impossible.

I've had people laugh at me when I tell them this, but I always carry a nice high-flow shower head with me when I'm on the road. It only takes a few seconds to swap the 2.5 gpm DribbleMaster2000 with my nice luxurious high-flow. :D

specsaregood
11-11-2012, 09:29 AM
-plumber

Mine didn't have a removable washer, it was a permanent restricter. So I took the drill to it and opened it, a lot.

PatriotOne
11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I probably use twice as much water now that I have a low flo kitchen sink faucet. Every time I go to fill up the sink to do some dishes or fill a pot with water I walk away because I can't stand to "stand there" for 5 minutes just to fill the sink. So what happens? I overflo everything because I am busy elsewhere.

mac_hine
11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
We can't have phosphate in our soap to allow it to work, but they can put it in children's cereal?
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/r270/554042_4929667365490_1626159323_n.jpg

angelatc
11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
My son had one of those in his apartment in Korea. I've no idea what brand it was, but it was one of those units that washes and dries. He hated it. That said, he's the kind that irons absolutely everything, but he complained more about his laundry than about not being able to drive for a year. He said something about the clothes looking like they had come out of the trash compactor.

That's funny, because I didn't see that in a single review, even though I expected to. People there were talking about how wonderful it was to be able to come home from work and take their unwrinkled clothing out of the dryer. But the ventless thing kills it for me. No way am I spending $1500 on a machine that is going to break because of a serious engineering flaw?

angelatc
11-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I probably use twice as much water now that I have a low flo kitchen sink faucet. Every time I go to fill up the sink to do some dishes or fill a pot with water I walk away because I can't stand to "stand there" for 5 minutes just to fill the sink. So what happens? I overflo everything because I am busy elsewhere.Yeah, this is TMI, but I flush twice a lot more than I used to.

torchbearer
11-11-2012, 11:14 AM
This thread makes me think about 1984 and the dull razor blades.
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/wp-content/uploads/1984-John-Hurt.jpg

mac_hine
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM

From The Bureaucrat in Your Shower By Jeffrey Tucker

...Warning: The following section is for information purposes only; I am not advocating egregious violations of federal law as some trouble-making rebel might. Do not endanger your status as a law-abiding citizen who takes wimpy showers.

Many people now hack their showers — or customize them, if you prefer. You can take your shower head down, pull the washer out with a screwdriver, and remove the offending intrusion that is restricting water flow. It can be a tiny second washer or it can be a hard plastic piece. Just pop it out and replace the washer. Sometimes it is necessary to trim it out using a pen knife.

Using such strategies, you can increase your water flow from 2 gallons per minute to 3 and even 4 gallons per minute. You can easily clock this using a stopwatch and a milk carton.

Using this method (just as an experiment for the sake of journalism — again, do not try this at home) I was easily able to expand my gallons per minute on each shower in my house to an average of 3.4 gpm, thereby recreating that childhood sense of gushes of water pouring down.

http://mises.org/daily/2007

donnay
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Mrs. AF bought one of these monstrosities that I despise, it actually can pull off the impossible, rendering clothes dirtier and stinkier at the end rather than beginning, by infusing them with that stale, musty HE washer stank and funk.

I never have a problem...so I am not sure what the complaint is?

I absolutely love my new HE washer. I make my own detergent too. The thing is you have to use the detergent first (all you need is two tablespoons full), then place the clothes in it--with no agitator it is great for doing King size and Queen size comforters, bed spreads and quilts. I like to add white vinegar in where the bleach dispenser is, because I absolutely hate bleach! Vinegar is a great disinfectant and it kills bacteria, mold and germs.

youngbuck
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Vinegar is a great disinfectant and it kills bacteria, mold and germs.

I do this, too, in lieu of fabric softener. Don't use too much though, or a slight smell may remain after washing (w/ my washer anyway). I also use Borax if the clothes are dirtier than normal.

Origanalist
11-11-2012, 11:22 AM

I absolutely love my new HE washer. I make my own detergent too. The thing is you have to use the detergent first (all you need is two tablespoons full), then place the clothes in it--with no agitator it is great for doing King size and Queen size comforters, bed spreads and quilts. I like to add white vinegar in where the bleach dispenser is, because I absolutely hate bleach! Vinegar is a great disinfectant and it kills bacteria, mold and germs.

Detergent recipe? :)

mac_hine
11-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I do this, too, in lieu of fabric softener. Don't use too much though, or a slight smell may remain after washing (w/ my washer anyway). I also use Borax if the clothes are dirtier than normal.

have you ever thought to infuse the vinegar with herbs or fruit peels? http://www.ecobabysteps.com/2011/05/24/scented-vinegar-for-cleaning/

youngbuck
11-11-2012, 11:26 AM
have you ever thought to infuse the vinegar with herbs or fruit peels? http://www.ecobabysteps.com/2011/05/24/scented-vinegar-for-cleaning/

No, I am a man.

mac_hine
11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
No, I am a man.

lulz

Carehn
11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
read or listen to this book
http://mises.org/media/categories/261/Bourbon-for-Breakfast-Living-Outside-the-Statist-Quo

donnay
11-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Very simple--I use powdered OxiClean (http://www.oxiclean.com/) rather than Clorax.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zk7VtK3EiIk/Tpwz9TQKAZI/AAAAAAAAA_Y/byTp3xATyoI/s640/laundrysoapIMG_2219.jpg

http://thefarmersbetterhalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/homemade-laundry-soap-with-oxygen.html

Origanalist
11-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Very simple--I use powdered OxiClean (http://www.oxiclean.com/) rather than Clorax.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zk7VtK3EiIk/Tpwz9TQKAZI/AAAAAAAAA_Y/byTp3xATyoI/s640/laundrysoapIMG_2219.jpg

http://thefarmersbetterhalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/homemade-laundry-soap-with-oxygen.html

Yet another thing to throw into the donnay folder in favorites. :)

donnay
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM

I use a 1/4 cup of vinegar per load.

Oh I also use a cap full of d-Limonene (http://www.greenterpene.com/Recipes_Using_d_Limonene_Orange_Oil_and_Terpenes_s/68.htm) per load too. It helps to lift heavy stains and makes laundry smell clean and fresh.

@3:25 shows it used for laundry--this stuff is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrfhucvMwg&playnext=1&list=PL457DBF3A718751B9&feature=results_video

heavenlyboy34
11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
read or listen to this book
http://mises.org/media/categories/261/Bourbon-for-Breakfast-Living-Outside-the-Statist-Quo
Jeff Tucker is fantabulous! :D :cool:

Carson
11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
The old time ladies had something called Bluing. I don't remember it being used but it hoovered near by like a warning to the cloths or some secret weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28fabric%29

P.S. And lye soap (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lye-soap.htm#lbss) was everywhere in those days.

deadfish
11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
While I agree with the argument that environmentalism has led to inferior products, this particular article was really bad.

He got a lemon. Big fucking deal. Good subject, weak writing.

Carehn
11-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Try TSP. You can pick it up at any paint store for about 3 bucks a box. It will blow your laundry mind!!!

angelatc
11-11-2012, 12:41 PM

E. coli is acid tolerant. Just so you know.

Anti Federalist
11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
While I agree with the argument that environmentalism has led to inferior products, this particular article was really bad.

He got a lemon. Big fucking deal. Good subject, weak writing.

While anybody is welcome to opine, I wonder how closely you paid attention to the article, since the author is clearly a she and not a he.

angelatc
11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
The old time ladies had something called Bluing. I don't remember it being used but it hoovered near by like a warning to the cloths or some secret weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(fabric)

P.S. And lye soap (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lye-soap.htm#lbss) was everywhere in those days.

You can still buy bluing at most grocery stores.

I too make my own laundry detergent.

I read that TSP is the wrong phospate to add to laundry detergent though. It's supposed to be STPP, which you have to buy in bulk. I haven't tried it yet. Note this was written before the ban on dishwasher detergent phosphates.

Complex phosphates can occur in several different types of compounds. The most common used in powdered detergent formulations has been STPP or sodium tripolyphosphate. This compound works well to lift minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron from fabrics as well as soften water, without forming a precipitate. STPP has one weakness, and that is that over time, with exposure to water, it will decompose into a mono-phosphate, or "orthophosphate", called trisodiumphosphate, or TSP. TSP is often used for cleaning hard surfaces where a precipitate is not a problem, but due to its precipitate formation is not favored for laundry use. Many dishwashing detergents contain complex phosphates; for this reason the boxes usually are tightly sealed in foil faced packages, and have advice printed on them to store them in a cool dry place. This is intended to help prevent moisture from getting in and converting the complex phosphates to monophosphates. http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/laundry/2003052601018823.html is one source, but I read up on it quite a bit.

Sunshine is the best stain remover, IMHO.

presence
11-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Sunshine is the best stain remover, IMHO.

cloth diapers attest!

angelatc
11-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Interesting. I don't use oxy-anything. Just borax, Fels Naptha and washing soda. (http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm) Seriously, this stuff is so much cheaper - I can wash for a year on what it would cost me for 1 bottle of Tide.

Carson
11-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Try TSP. You can pick it up at any paint store for about 3 bucks a box. It will blow your laundry mind!!!

And;

A while back they took the phosphates out of the dish soap.

I was thinking they looked awful greasy.

I put it right back in. Now they sparkle.

They friken sparkle!!!!!

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

*takes breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

:D

deadfish
11-11-2012, 12:57 PM
While anybody is welcome to opine, I wonder how closely you paid attention to the article, since the author is clearly a she and not a he.

The epinions.com article was much better.

donnay
11-11-2012, 01:24 PM
E. coli is acid tolerant. Just so you know.

To naturally disinfect your cutting board there are a couple different methods you can use. Once your cutting board is dry, spray the surface with undiluted distilled white vinegar and let it sit for at least 10-30 minutes, then wipe clean. The acetic acid in vinegar is effective at killing bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4642310_clean-sanitize-cutting-boards-naturally.html

Rinse vegetables from your garden or the grocery with white vinegar to kill salmonella, shigella or E. coli bacteria on leaves and vegetables.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-clean-with-vinegar

To disinfect and clean your wood cutting boards or butcher block countertop, wipe them with full-strength white vinegar after each use. The acetic acid in the vinegar is a good disinfectant, effective against such harmful bugs as E. coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus.
http://www.rd.com/home/150-household-uses-for-vinegar/3/?v=print

Yes. Acetic acid or white vinegar is a great disinfectant. It also acts as a deodorizer and cuts grease.

And you can tackle household bacteria like salmonella, E. coli and other "gram-negative" bacteria with vinegar.
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/cleaning/does-vinegar-kill-germs/

Disinfect cutting boards
Use full-strength white vinegar to clean wood cutting boards or butcher block countertops. This is a great alternative to dishwasher detergent because it can weaken surfaces and wood fiber. It disinfects against E.coli, salmonellsa and staphylococcus.
http://www.thereadystore.com/cooking-and-fuel/4446/20-uses-for-vinegar-that-you-never-knew/

Undiluted White Distilled Vinegar (5%) - Apply warm (130 degrees) for 1 minute or apply at room temperature for 10 minutes. The warm method is more effective against Listeria and E. Coli, but both methods are effective at preventing Salmonella.
http://butler.osu.edu/topics/family-and-consumer-sciences/news/sanitizing-your-kitchen-easy-safe-and-inexpensive

donnay
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
The Light Bulb Conspiracy

http://vimeo.com/41567964#

We are a throw-a-way society done by design.

opal
11-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm a bad consumer... I expect thing to last (except maybe lettuce)

TheNewYorker
11-11-2012, 03:00 PM
If anyone needs a good list of green appliances that work great just ask me what you need, i have updated just about everything in my house this year and the onesi got all work great

DamianTV
11-11-2012, 07:03 PM

Youre not thinking like the Government!

Can you fix a car made today? Hell no! Its against the Law! You need to PAY a Repairman. Oh yeah, and the Repairman that doesnt Repair...

angelatc
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM
To naturally disinfect your cutting board there are a couple different methods you can use. Once your cutting board is dry, spray the surface with undiluted distilled white vinegar and let it sit for at least 10-30 minutes, then wipe clean. The acetic acid in vinegar is effective at killing bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus.

Undiluted White Distilled Vinegar (5%) - Apply warm (130 degrees) for 1 minute or apply at room temperature for 10 minutes. The warm method is more effective against Listeria and E. Coli, but both methods are effective at preventing Salmonella.
http://butler.osu.edu/topics/family-and-consumer-sciences/news/sanitizing-your-kitchen-easy-safe-and-inexpensive

I cut out all the sites that are user-generated. (eHow. Really?)

I forgot that you already know everything. And as a libertarian, I could not care less if you clean your kitchen or not.

But for those of us that have room left to expand our intellectual horizons, here is a Google "e coli acid resistance (https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=e+coli+acid+resistance&oq=e-coli+is+acid+resistant&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i22i10.2359.7882.0.11602.24.24.0.0.0. 0.505.6941.2-20j3j0j1.24.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.JqhnC8QMnts&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=97283d9747b20204&bpcl=38093640&biw=1280&bih=685)" search. You guys make up your own minds.

(And from the un-peer reviewed, here's a college science experiment (http://35.9.122.184/inquiriesS2007/evo/Vinegar-vs-Ecoli-resistance/) measuring e coli's measurable growing resistance to vinegar.)

angelatc
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
If anyone needs a good list of green appliances that work great just ask me what you need, i have updated just about everything in my house this year and the onesi got all work great

This year? let me know what you bought 20 years ago that still works, and I'll buy that off you when you get new stuff. Then we're both happy.

donnay
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I cut out all the sites that are user-generated. (eHow. Really?)

I forgot that you already know everything. And as a libertarian, I could not care less if you clean your kitchen or not.

But for those of us that have room left to expand our intellectual horizons, here is a Google "e coli acid resistance (https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=e+coli+acid+resistance&oq=e-coli+is+acid+resistant&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i22i10.2359.7882.0.11602.24.24.0.0.0. 0.505.6941.2-20j3j0j1.24.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.JqhnC8QMnts&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=97283d9747b20204&bpcl=38093640&biw=1280&bih=685)" search. You guys make up your own minds.

(And from the un-peer reviewed, here's a college science experiment (http://35.9.122.184/inquiriesS2007/evo/Vinegar-vs-Ecoli-resistance/) measuring e coli's measurable growing resistance to vinegar.)

No Angela I do not know everything, and possibly never will. But that won't stop me from trying to learn and helping others in the process.

Vinegar and salt is definitely effective.

Antibacterial action of vinegar against food-borne pathogenic bacteria including Escherichia coli O157:H7.
Entani E, Asai M, Tsujihata S, Tsukamoto Y, Ohta M.
Source (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9713753)

Nakano Central Research Institute of Nakano Vinegar Co. Ltd., Handa, Japan.
Abstract

The bacteriostatic and bactericidal actions of vinegar on food-borne pathogenic bacteria including enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) O157:H7 were examined. The growth of all strains evaluated was inhibited with a 0.1% concentration of acetic acid in the vinegar. This inhibition was generally increased in the presence of sodium chloride or glucose. There was almost no difference in sensitivity to the bacteriostatic action of vinegar among the strains of pathogenic E. coli. Vinegar had a bactericidal effect on food-borne pathogenic bacteria including EHEC O157:H7. This action against EHEC O157:H7 was synergically enhanced by sodium chloride but was attenuated with glucose. For EHEC strains (O157:H7, O26:H11, O111:HNM) the difference in the inactivation rate due to vinegar among strains used was small, although an enteropathogenic E. coli (EPEC) O111:K58:H- strain was more sensitive, being more quickly killed compared with EHEC strains. The inactivation rate due to vinegar was constant irrespective of inoculum size. However, it differed greatly depending on growth phase of the cells, where logarithmic growth phase cells were more sensitive and easily killed than stationary phase cells. The bactericidal activity of vinegar increased with the temperature. Various conditions for bactericidal effects on EHEC O157:H7 were examined by the multiparametric analysis of five factors: acetic acid concentration in the vinegar, sodium chloride concentration, temperature, incubation time, and viable cell number. The combined use of vinegar and sodium chloride, with use of an appropriate treatment temperature, was found to be markedly effective for the prevention of bacterial food poisoning.

[Antibacterial actin of vinegar against food-borne pathogenic bacteria including Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Part 2). Effect of sodium chloride and temperature on bactericidal activity]

E Entani, M Asai, S Tsujihata, Y Tsukamoto, M Ohta
Nakano Central Research Institute of Nakano Vinegar Co. Ltd.
Source (http://lib.bioinfo.pl/paper:9209127)

Bactericidal effects of various kinds of AWASEZU (processed vinegar, 2.5% acidity) on food-borne pathogenic bacteria including Escherichia coli O157:H7 and other bacteria were examined. the order of bactericidal activities was NIHAIZU (3.5% NaCl was added)> SANBA-IZU (3.5% NaCl and 10% sucrose were added)> plain vinegar (spirit vinegar)> AMAZU (10% sucrose was added). This indicates that their activities were enhanced by the addition of sodium chloride and suppressed by the addition of sugar. On the other hand, when soy sauce was used instead of sodium chloride, the order of bactericidal activities was plain vinegar > AMAZU > NIHAIZU > SANBAIZU. This is mainly because their activities were suppressed by the increase in the pH value. The effect of sodium chloride (0.01-15%) and temperature (10-50 degrees C) on bactericidal activities against E. coli O157:H7 in spirit vinegar (0.5-2.5% acidity) was further examined. When vinegar was used in combination with sodium chloride, predominant synergism on the bactericidal activity was observed. Their activities were markedly enhanced by the addition of sodium chloride in proportion to the concentration. In addition to this, at higher temperatures spirit vinegar killed bacteria much more rapidly. It should be noted that the bactericidal activity of spirit vinegar was extremely enhanced by the combined use of the addition of sodium chloride and the rise of temperature. For example, in 2.5% acidity vinegar, the time required for 3 log decrease in viable cell numbers at 20 degrees C was shortened to 1/140-fold by the addition of 5% sodium chloride, shortened to 1/51-fold by the rise of the reaction temperature at 40 degrees C, and shortened to 1/830-fold; 0.89 minutes by both the addition of 5% sodium chloride and the rise of temperature at 40 degrees C. In order to propose the methods to prevent food poisoning by bacterial infection, bactericidal activities of vinegar solution containing sodium chloride on cooking tools and raw vegetables were examined. Vinegar solution (1-2% acidity, 3-7% NaCl) produced more than 3 log decrease in viable cell numbers of E. coli O157:H7 on the surface of cutting board, and cabbage and cucumber at 20-50 degrees C. These results suggested that the treatment with vinegar solution containing sodium chloride may be one of the useful methods to prevent food poisoning.
Keywords: vinegar; o157:h; coly o157:h; sodium chloride; bactericidal; bactericidal activity; chloride; sodium; temperature; activity; coly; food-borne; spirit; acidity; bacteria;

According to a 2011 report by Canada's National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health, the acid in vinegar crosses the cell membrane of bacteria, then prompts a release of protons, which causes the cell to die.

If you're on a first-name basis with your household bacteria, vinegar is thought to be most effective against shigella, salmonella, E. coli, and other "gram-negative" bacteria, according to the report. Gram-positive bacteria have cell walls that are tougher to crack.
http://articles.philly.com/2012-06-26/news/32409753_1_vinegar-natural-cleaning-products-alexandra-gorman-scranton

bunklocoempire
11-11-2012, 10:48 PM

In a river? Are the woods too full of other stuff?

angelatc
11-11-2012, 11:01 PM
No Angela I do not know everything, and possibly never will. But that won't stop me from trying to learn and helping others in the process.

Vinegar and salt is definitely effective.

According to a 2011 report by Canada's National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health, the acid in vinegar crosses the cell membrane of bacteria, then prompts a release of protons, which causes the cell to die.

If you're on a first-name basis with your household bacteria, vinegar is thought to be most effective against shigella, salmonella, E. coli, and other "gram-negative" bacteria, according to the report. Gram-positive bacteria have cell walls that are tougher to crack.
http://articles.philly.com/2012-06-26/news/32409753_1_vinegar-natural-cleaning-products-alexandra-gorman-scranton

My conclusion stands. And, from the article that you posted above:
By and large, those have found that, yes, vinegar kills bacteria. But they also found, in general, that bleach and other commercial disinfectants do a better job.

The OSU pamphlet indicates the same thing.

You kill 90%, I'm going for 100%.

tangent4ronpaul
11-12-2012, 12:56 AM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?148259-Want-to-be-really-really-self-sufficient/page5
(post 45)

In the first book linked, look around pg 645 and 650

In the second book, read chapter 4 starting on pg 51

-t

donnay
11-12-2012, 10:05 AM
My conclusion stands. And, from the article that you posted above:

The OSU pamphlet indicates the same thing.

You kill 90%, I'm going for 100%.

I know vinegar is going to kill the bad bacteria and not me and my family. Bleach can affect your liver in many negative ways, I hope you know that? I sure hope you do not use bleach in your bathroom too much--urine is ammonia and mix with bleach causes a toxic reaction.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh I don't even want to think about it. I can't get a new toilet without it being one of those water-efficient ones. If anyone that ever shits in a toilet bowl with no water, you know that you smell the shit right away. And it doesn't even save water, because instead of flushing once or twice, you're flushing during the process of shitting/wiping so you don't have to smell it/fear of clogging the tiny hole with half a cup of water.

I also can't stand taking showers with regulated crap. The stream should be straight and hit you, not curve downward and just sprinkle your head. I'd be there all fucking day washing my hair.

RockEnds
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
I can't walk if I get around bleach. I'm not really sure why. At first the docs told me to invest in a wheel chair. They were pretty sure it was an auto-immune thing. Maybe MS or RA. It's not RA. It still might be MS. I have an MRI to check for that later this week. There does seem to be some kind of auto-immune problem. Whatever the reason, I didn't settle for the original prognosis. I paid a doc in TX bunches of money to figure out why I could walk sometimes and not others. It turned out to be chlorine. I don't touch the stuff, and I haven't since 2002. I even filter the water coming into my house. So far, I've not succumbed to e coli or any other of the many things bleach is supposed to save us from.

Just sayin'.

Lucille
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Don't even get me started!

So much hate for my appliances that were built as social engineering devices and for planned obsolescence. They ruin our clothes too, just like hers, which are also made like crap nowadays. Everything is dingy, no matter what I do.

I absolutely use more energy and water now. I do much smaller loads. Warm soak > wash, rinse and spin > cold soak, second rinse and spin. It takes at least 3 cycles to dry also.

Origanalist
11-12-2012, 01:01 PM

So much hate for my appliances that were built as social engineering devices and for planned obsolescence. They ruin our clothes too, just like hers, which are also made like crap nowadays. Everything is dingy, no matter what I do.

I absolutely use more energy and water now. I do much smaller loads. Warm soak > wash, rinse and spin > cold soak, second rinse and spin. It takes at least 3 cycles to dry also.

Quit complaining, after all you're saving the planet.

MelissaWV
11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I must be in a really weird parallel universe or something.

I don't have to flush more than once, and our toilet has water in it.
Our lightbulbs light just fine, and stay lit.
Our washer washes, and it's even an HE, and it gets out stains better than our older models ever did. It doesn't get that weird "smell" everyone seems to complain about, either, or require special this-and-that to keep from exploding.
The toilet at work can be heard flushing all across the building, and has been likened to a "cruise ship toilet," to the point that people are a little worried something (or someone) is going to get accidentally flushed away.
Our tap water smells very VERY mildly pool~ish, on the off chance someone would actually want to drink that, but our water pressure is keen. If you turned the showerhead on its most concentrated setting, you could probably remove a tattoo.

I guess I am just really lucky?

MozoVote
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Some of the shower heads can be modified by removing them and paring the plastic inside. I agree, the shower in your own home should not feel like you're staying at Motel 6.

I don't water my yard, or have a pool, or wash my car. Usually my water bill is 2 CCF and sometimes just 1.

Shouldn't people like me be able to "waste" a few more gallons in the shower? Sheez.

Lucille
11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I also can't stand taking showers with regulated crap. The stream should be straight and hit you, not curve downward and just sprinkle your head. I'd be there all fucking day washing my hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlrtQb24Qxw

amy31416
11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I had a front-load washing machine, and I hated it. It wasn't that it didn't wash well, it's because it was really awkward to get the laundry out and the giant rubber gasket attracted pet fur and needed to be wiped down after every cycle, or else it would get moldy and funky. I also hated how you couldn't throw in a sock you missed after the cycle started and how it would get picky and start beeping at me for some unfathomable reason, and I'd have to wait 5 minutes to reset everything.

heavenlyboy34
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Here's a trick for drying-throw a large, dry towel in with the wet load. It adds more friction and hot surface area, causing quicker drying. :D :cool:

heavenlyboy34
11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I must be in a really weird parallel universe or something.

I don't have to flush more than once, and our toilet has water in it.
Our lightbulbs light just fine, and stay lit.
Our washer washes, and it's even an HE, and it gets out stains better than our older models ever did. It doesn't get that weird "smell" everyone seems to complain about, either, or require special this-and-that to keep from exploding.
The toilet at work can be heard flushing all across the building, and has been likened to a "cruise ship toilet," to the point that people are a little worried something (or someone) is going to get accidentally flushed away.
Our tap water smells very VERY mildly pool~ish, on the off chance someone would actually want to drink that, but our water pressure is keen. If you turned the showerhead on its most concentrated setting, you could probably remove a tattoo.

I guess I am just really lucky?
IMHO, yes. /jealous

heavenlyboy34
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
In a river? Are the woods too full of other stuff?
It'll make a nice artificial reef for the fishies to play in. :o:toady:

Lucille
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Here's a trick for drying-throw a large, dry towel in with the wet load. It adds more friction and hot surface area, causing quicker drying. :D :cool:

Is that right?! I'll try it. TY!

Can't wait to build a new house, where I will make room for a very old Maytag washer along side the front-loader (for the king-sized comforters).

Carson
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM

They made some new rule about having to use a metal container when you build a fire in the woods. People are tearing apart old washing machines and using them. Now I'm seeing them left in the forest.

Carson
11-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Mind blown!

I've been adding TriSodium Phosphate to my dish washer but it never occurred to me to throw some in the washing machine. They must have taken the phosphates out of there also.

Anyway I tried just a little for a test. Even I could tell the difference and I'm a guy.

Now to see if my cloths still hold together missing all that dirt. I remember the bleach experiment when I was younger. Sure it would get the dirt out but they would fall apart right away.

Those old washers my Grandmother and Aunt liked were the ones with the wringers. You had to manually run them through the wringer between wash tub and rinse tube.

One more thing came to mind.

They would wring the cloths out so hard you could probably shingle a roof with them. Pinch like the dickens!

These may have been a little more modern than their model, but close.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/Grannystyle.jpg

P.S. There was a new front loading machine at the laundry mat that sounded like a Ferrari. Speed Queen made it. They will really have something if when it gets old the belts start slipping and it sounds like it is burning rubber.

Maybe the time is right to go into the repair business and find ways to hop up the new models. Do some
Tim Allen Home Improvement type modifications.

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/Brooklyn_Red_Leg/popcorn.gif

I'm loving this thread (sorry about the bad toilet, faucet etc, AF). One of my roommates makes her own dishwasher and laundry detergents. Never knew it was so much cheaper until she talked about it.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/Brooklyn_Red_Leg/popcorn.gif

I'm loving this thread (sorry about the bad toilet, faucet etc, AF). One of my roommates makes her own dishwasher and laundry detergents. Never knew it was so much cheaper until she talked about it.
She makes her own soap?
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN FIGHT CLUB?
TER-ROR-IST:eek:

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
She makes her own soap?
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN FIGHT CLUB?
TER-ROR-IST:eek:

Heh, no just her own dry powders. :D

opal
11-14-2012, 10:11 PM
ok.. inquiring minds want to know.. TSP with the soap or on it's own?

Danke
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPncuS0E1yc

Carson
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
ok.. inquiring minds want to know.. TSP with the soap or on it's own?

I've been adding it into the regular dish soap. It is kind of a dangerous chemical experiment though.

For years and years I used a popular dish soap in my dish washer and the dishes always looked fine. Then a while back I was noticing they looked greasy. A while after that an article on Fark.com mentioned that the government had ask the soap company to take out the phosphates. Someone had noticed an algae bloom where the soapy water was running off to. You know, the stuff that grows in aquariums and lakes and such that produces oxygen.

Well the story goes the detergent people said okay and took it out. It didn't seem to matter to tell their customers it didn't work any more.

Soap is usually a balance of chemicals that produce a result. Lye soap is basically lye, lard and water cook in a proportion that the grease buffers down some of the harshness of the lye and makes it a usable product.

I'm not sure exactly what is in the store soap. I'm sure when it was working it was a balance of chemicals that reacted with each other and produce a product that would safely clean.

When I heard they yanked it out of the dish soap I put it right back in. It is sort of dangerous as I don't know the proportion (7% ?) and now that they are starting to work on new formulas it could react in an unexpected dangerous fashion.

It is probably safer to seek out some of the new formulas.

I've found a link to the old dish soap in the old formula but it is only sold in a case for commercial use. (https://www.google.com/search?q=cascade+commercial&hl=en&client=firefox-beta&hs=4us&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=mXekUMCOLJHRigLJuYHQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1023&bih=672) I'd buy a case but I could never use it all. Wouldn't want to risk getting busted selling it. I suppose the excess might make good gifts.

Still I'm having fun. As long as no one finds out (fun!) or I get a rash or something I'll probably be all right.

P.S. I suppose there are more than a couple of ways you can look at my action of putting back some of the phosphates.

1. If we live under a global dictatorship and it would be in defiance to put some back in.

2. Or that we live in a republic of which we are all a part. If we put some back in overall we are still part of the group and part of the action that removed the bulk of it.

heavenlyboy34
11-14-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a new story for this thread. The power supply for my PC died today, and it's only ~2-3 years old. Now I have to borrow a PC to get on teh interwebz and can't get to my work. :mad: :mad: When I can afford one that works better, that thing is going in the woods. :P

heavenlyboy34
11-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Is that right?! I'll try it. TY!

Can't wait to build a new house, where I will make room for a very old Maytag washer along side the front-loader (for the king-sized comforters).
Yes indeedy, it's true! Depending on what you're drying, you may even have to let it cool a bit before you touch it. :cool: (buttons and zippers especially tend to get very hot)

Carson
11-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Well here is the newest assault.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/thebegining/catsniperxb5.gif

Apparently someone at the top of this new world order of thing thinks fans shouldn't just suck !!!! but should always be sucking.

So they came in, yanked the combination fan and ceiling heat lamp, and younked out the switch.

What they put in was a two speed ceiling fan. They are thinking that it should run all of the time. Low speed when your not there. A motion detector cranks up up to high speed if it hears any farting or something like that.

Anyway their experiment is messing with at least two of my own experiments.

1. I'm trying to see if I can live longer by not leaving unattended electric motors running.

2. I've been studying the effects of Low Pressure Environment versus a High Pressure Environment.

I don't think I would have rented this place just having to listen to one fan always running much less knowing hundreds of motors in the complex are running unattended.

My research into pressure variations has mostly studied natural pressure like weather fronts and the variations caused by natural obstacles like mountain ranges. I just recently started looking into changing from a negative fan draw to positive fan pressure. Then there is always the way people naturally live on the positive pressure side of a mountain range and seem to prosper better just staring you in the face. Of course, then again, if your into mummification by all means go negative.

Luckily I was able to regain control of my home. An on/off switch is back in. Distinguishably those weird new light bulbs restored light to my study. I found some that are rated at 1600 Lumens / 100 watt equivalent. (It should also help with the shower. No tellings what could happen in the shower if you always had to resort to just feeling around for things.)

I also found an online manual for the thing. It has settings to change how hard it sucks. It also has a setting how long it sucks after detecting motion (or what ever).

It can also be set to shut the hell off.

They talk about how silent it is.

Man that thing is way louder that the old one was in off.

They talk about how it will draw the moisture out of the apartment.

This place is already so dry it is causing problems.

I've got your green right here!

Tpoints
11-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Heh, no just her own dry powders. :D

so THAT'S what people mean when they say "keep your powder dry"?

BAllen
11-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Yep, it's full:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHUQ56AWwI&feature=related

Concerning the showerheads, I had the same problem. I bought 3 different ones, and you can't get the restrictor out as its molded into the head. The man at lowe's said he tells his customers to drill it out. I just bought one of those twist garden hose heads. I got plenty of water pressure now, lol.
Fuck the epa!

Carson
11-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Yep, it's full:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHUQ56AWwI&feature=related

Concerning the showerheads, I had the same problem. I bought 3 different ones, and you can't get the restrictor out as its molded into the head. The man at lowe's said he tells his customers to drill it out. I just bought one of those twist garden hose heads. I got plenty of water pressure now, lol.
Fuck the epa!

Good one for Thanksgiving, BAllen.

Alice's Restaurant - Original 1967 Recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM