PDA

View Full Version : Why is Texas so red?

ShaneEnochs
11-09-2012, 09:15 PM
From what I gathered from the election, Romney lost the minority vote pretty fucking handily. As I understand it, Latinos make up a huge portion of Texas, yet it's still solidly red. Is it possible that in the next few go arounds that it'll become a swing state?

AuH20
11-09-2012, 09:23 PM
More of the multi-generational Texas latinos have been assimilated as Americans over several decades. But with the melting pot being broken over the last 25 years as well as the meteoric rise of the welfare state, that trend won't last for long. Texas will be blue within 2 presidential cycles, I suspect.

Pericles
11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
A number of factors behind 58% R in Texas.

1. Tejanos tend to be very similar in outlook to the rural Anglo population.
2. Ethnic minorities tend to have lower turnout than the Anglos
3. Historically, segregation laws (No Dogs or Mexicans) were the speciality of southern Democrats and the Latino population don't forget so easy.

pochy1776
11-09-2012, 09:58 PM
IS texas better off as a blue state? I always suspected that real. conservatives were really in New York and New Hampshire. Also, Why is not texas secedding?

itshappening
11-09-2012, 10:04 PM
IS texas better off as a blue state? I always suspected that real. conservatives were really in New York and New Hampshire. Also, Why is not texas secedding?

The United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional while commenting that revolution or consent of the states could lead to a successful secession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_the_United_States

Pericles
11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
There are counties in Texas with less than 100 votes for Obama in the entire county.

torchbearer
11-09-2012, 10:18 PM
The Red River?

AuH20
11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
The Red River?

It burns I hear. lol

torchbearer
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
It burns I hear. lol

does it?
i'm missing the punchline. (assuming there is one)
The Red River flows through texas into louisiana. It would be a lead candidate in making any state red.

AuH20
11-09-2012, 10:22 PM
does it?
i'm missing the punchline. (assuming there is one)
The Red River flows through texas into louisiana. It would be a lead candidate in making any state red.

It is flammable from all the pollution.

torchbearer
11-09-2012, 10:28 PM

where?
the red river that flows through alexandria is beautiful.
there isn't industrial areas to dump waste into it on the lousiana side.
maybe the texas part of the river is gummed up with crap?

the red river in my area is controlled by a money wasting lock-and-dam system.
I personally think that was subconcious, so the next time the union army comes up the red, they won't need to stop in alexandria to build a dam. (and then burn down the entire town)

AuH20
11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
where?
the red river that flows through alexandria is beautiful.
there isn't industrial areas to dump waste into it on the lousiana side.
maybe the texas part of the river is gummed up with crap?

the red river in my area is controlled by a money wasting lock-and-dam system.
I personally think that was subconcious, so the next time the union army comes up the red, they won't need to stop in alexandria to build a dam. (and then burn down the entire town)

I think alot of the toxicity is coming from Arkansas.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/99999999/SPECIALPROJECTS05/811090320/Despite-toxins-Red-River-water-safe-officials-say

torchbearer
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I think alot of the toxicity is coming from Arkansas.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/99999999/SPECIALPROJECTS05/811090320/Despite-toxins-Red-River-water-safe-officials-say

fuckers. stop pissin' in my water!

Carson
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I think we often make a mistake of trying to lump Mexican's or Hispanic's all in the same pile.

A while back I was hoping to get our immigration laws upheld. Meeting people it seemed pretty fifty-fifty as to whether a Hispanic was for or against having our immigration laws upheld.

I think it was the same sort of thing when Texas fought for Independence.

I had some distant family ties living during those times that I've read stories about. Many of the people that were most fed up with the Mexican government coming up to the far north were Mexican's themselves. It wasn't so much a race thing as it was an injustice thing. The injustices were felt universally and resulted in an uprising. People had moved a long way in more than one direction to distance themselves and wouldn't push any further.

cindy25
11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
From what I gathered from the election, Romney lost the minority vote pretty fucking handily. As I understand it, Latinos make up a huge portion of Texas, yet it's still solidly red. Is it possible that in the next few go arounds that it'll become a swing state?

Florida will be gone first, Texas in 12-16 years

UMULAS
11-09-2012, 11:26 PM
More of the multi-generational Texas latinos have been assimilated as Americans over several decades. But with the melting pot being broken over the last 25 years as well as the meteoric rise of the welfare state, that trend won't last for long. Texas will be blue within 2 presidential cycles, I suspect.

I only agree in the extreme northern part of Texas, back in the middle and lower parts, they are in their own culture.

RonPaulMall
11-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Florida will be gone first, Texas in 12-16 years

Very true. Texas is Red because the type of white that lives in Texas is receptive to the GOP. Romney got 60% of the white vote nationally, but in Texas he almost certainly got an even higher share. A monolithic Hispanic minority can only make a difference if the whites are more or less evenly divided between red and blue. It is the same effect in the Deep South with blacks. Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana have the three highest concentrations of blacks in America. But it doesn't matter because whites in those states vote Red at rates that cancel them out. The difference between Texas and California is not the Hispanics- it is the whites.

Pisces
11-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I think we often make a mistake of trying to lump Mexican's or Hispanic's all in the same pile.

A while back I was hoping to get our immigration laws upheld. Meeting people it seemed pretty fifty-fifty as to whether a Hispanic was for or against having our immigration laws upheld.

I think it was the same sort of thing when Texas fought for Independence.

I had some distant family ties living during those times that I've read stories about. Many of the people that were most fed up with the Mexican government coming up to the far north were Mexican's themselves. It wasn't so much a race thing as it was an injustice thing. The injustices were felt universally and resulted in an uprising. People had moved a long way in more than one direction to distance themselves and wouldn't push any further.

This is true. The first vice president of the Republic of Texas was a Tejano - Lorenzo de Zavala. There were also other regions of Mexico that were revolting against Santa Ana at around the time of the Texas Revolution.

There is a large proportion of Hispanics in Texas who really aren't all that different from Anglos in their political views. In fact, I think if we didn't keep having waves and waves of new illegal Hispanic immigrants, their community would be able to assimilate just like other ethnic groups, like Italians for instance, have.

Carson
11-10-2012, 03:30 PM
The United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional while commenting that revolution or consent of the states could lead to a successful secession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_the_United_States

When you guys mentioned secession I remember a secession thread on Fark.com. I was going to post it but the comments didn't seem worth the bother. Pretty rude.

Anyway now I see another one today and figure what the hay. This time it is Louisiana.

The Break-Up Begins, Again: We the State of Louisiana petition the Obama Administration to peacefully allow the State to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own Government

Story;

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-louisiana-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/1wrvtngl

Comments;

http://www.fark.com/comments/7427728/The-Break-Up-Begins-Again-We-State-of-Louisiana-petition-Obama-Administration-to-peacefully-allow-State-to-withdraw-from-United-States-of-America-create-its-own-Government

The one on Texas;

Here we go again. Texas GOP wants out of the union. Read this article in the tone of a crying child who wants to take his ball and go home

Story;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/peter-morrison-texas-divorce_n_2100165.html

Comments;

http://www.fark.com/comments/7426402/Here-we-go-again-Texas-GOP-wants-out-of-union-Read-this-article-in-tone-of-a-crying-child-who-wants-to-take-his-ball-go-home

libertyjam
11-10-2012, 03:56 PM

F#cking Bull sh#t.

fr33
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM
The red river where I live is usually a few puddles surrounded by sand bars.

oyarde
11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Only River I ever saw on fire was in Cleveland.