PDA

View Full Version : Hard to swallow: Bloomberg bans food donations to homeless shelters

sailingaway
11-09-2012, 12:16 AM
In one of NYC’s darkest hours, with resources stretched thin in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is showing his priorities with a ban on food donations to homeless shelters. No, not because of food contamination, but because the city can’t properly assess salt, fat and fiber in donated food and thereby ensure starving people are getting the optimal levels of nutrition. Can’t have dumpy-looking homeless people on the streets! We knew Bloomberg was a health nut, but maybe he’s just anti-food? Maybe put this one to a vote — it’s hard to imagine what harm fresh soup and bagels (two items that have already been turned away) could do to a hungry person.

http://now.msn.com/hard-to-swallow-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters

itshappening
11-09-2012, 12:20 AM
oh my god.

Ben Bernanke
11-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Dated March 12th, 2012, just fyi

But yes. shockingly evil

sailingaway
11-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Dated March 12th, 2012, just fyi

But yes. shockingly evil

then how come it says 'with resources spread thin in the wake of hurricane Sandy?'

Ben Bernanke
11-09-2012, 12:34 AM
click the source link in the article. I remember hearing this earlier

RickyJ
11-09-2012, 12:38 AM
The guy who declared it donut day in New York City has some nerve to be banning food or drinks.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Maybe put this one to a vote — it’s hard to imagine what harm fresh soup and bagels (two items that have already been turned away) could do to a hungry person.

So ... we should have a vote - MAYBE - on whether or not private groups & individuals ought to be allowed to help feed other people who are hungry.

Anyone capable of expressing a sentiment as depraved as this is a MUCH bigger part of the problem than the Bloombergs of the world will EVER be.

In fact, it's people like this who make the Bloombergs of the world possible in the first place.

Ben Bernanke
11-09-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm pretty sure he made it illegal for private citizens to feed homeless people directly too, have to look that one up

AGRP
11-09-2012, 01:49 AM
I dont really see a problem. They're getting exactly what they want.

twomp
11-09-2012, 01:50 AM
It's out of the box thinking! Only Bloomberg can turn a natural disaster into a weight loss program.